Home Main Category Personal Defense

Defensive handgun capacity: how much of a concern is it for you?

Replies

• CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Central MNPosts: 14,661 Senior Member
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    Sorry Bub...anything worth shooting is worth shooting multiple times....

And, if all you can see is parts to shoot, shoot the parts.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    The point is this, I advocate carry of a high capacity semi automatic handgun, you may never need its full capacity, but it is there, I remember when I saw the ParaOrdnance 1911 double column .45 acp, and I had to have one, it solved the hi capacity vs single stack dilemma.

I gravitate away from revolvers for defense not because they are not adequate, they are adequate, but I want more capacity and faster less fumble prone reloads.....

Funny how many of those that advocate that fewer shots are fired in personal defense, also put side saddle cartridge carriers on shotguns, a difficult re-load when the chips are down.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
    "And what would have happened had he been armed?"

He could have defended himself, and not been so critically injured...
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
    "Which was Sams point."

No Sam was being Sam, difficult as usual.

There is a fine point that Sam crosses now and then, he is way smart, and then feigns simple ignorance, and it does not go over with those of Us that know better.
    I did not think you were arguing, but if it will help, I was wrong.

The victim was armed, he left his gun inside his home...... I think this is a salient point in personal defense.
  • samzheresamzhere Banned HoustonPosts: 10,923 Senior Member
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    anything worth shooting is worth shooting multiple times....

Now that, I like!
    DoctorWho wrote: »
    I did not think you were arguing, but if it will help, I was wrong.

The victim was armed, he left his gun inside his home...... I think this is a salient point in personal defense.

You weren't wrong, Doc, neither was I. I wasn't deliberately being obtuse, just thought that your example didn't fit the topic, maybe there was more to tell, like he'd been armed but they got the drop on him, or he'd fired a revolver's worth and it wasn't enough bullets, something like that.

But the guy having left his gun inside? Totally agree it was the salient point. If you don't have something in your hand to shoot with, telling them about it won't cut the mustard.

I suppose I prefer the auto and its higher capacity, but probably, 6 revolver rounds may be enough, just barely, in a real life armed confrontation with attackers. That being said, my XD Tactical that sits in its little holster in the recliner cushion at easy reach to me is loaded with 13+1 of Corbon .45acp. If I need more than 14 shots from a 45, y'all come visit me in the hospital or pour a beer on my grave, okay?
    ", y'all come visit me in the hospital or pour a beer on my grave, okay?"

I want you to be strong and healthy, you old heathen !!!!

I like revolvers, but I want at least an self loading pistol because I can fumble and drop a speed loader, I may never need 12 - 17 rounds, but , I find it comforting to have that option open to Me.
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Pensacola, FLPosts: 10,826 Senior Member
    Well, if I'm in my house I will want to shoot to stop the threat. I will need more rounds, but since I don't need to carry them or conceal them I can have as many as I want.

If I am out and about, my plan is to flee the threat and shoot only if needed to escape. I can' t imagine to many BG's are going to follow after the first shot comes their way.
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • 104RFAST104RFAST Senior Member Tarpon Springs FLPosts: 1,281 Senior Member
    Generally I don't leave the house prepared for a civil uprising! Gangs are not yet a issue where I live, a J frame .38 is generally all
    I need. If the political/ civil situation changes ( I think it will eventually) I have a wide selection to choose from. However, my
    job requires a lot of travel and I must admit I feel very uncomfortable in parts of our wonderful country!! I suppose what you
    carry has a lot to do with where live and work,unfortunately, some cities I visit a M-4 would be appropriate but getting past
    TSA would be difficult.
  • rcsaxbyrcsaxby New Member Posts: 4 New Member
    Definitely a concern for me. I mean the pistol I carry right now only holds six and I carry a spare mag. But I only carry small guns. I carry a taurus tcp and I'm about to get a beretta nano as soon as I can get my hands on one. Any thing bigger for inside the waistband is just to big for me. It's a concern for me because I know there have been a lot of situations I have heard of were there are clips that are emptied at point blank range and no one is hit. Every situation is different and you can train but really the more bullets you have the better. But a gun with six bullets is better than no gun is the way I see it.
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Living in a van, down by the river.Posts: 14,037 Senior Member
    If an entire mag is emptied and no one is hit, all the ammo in the world won't help you. That is a failure to hit the target, not a failure due to capacity. Or to put it another way: if you just dumped 6-10 rounds and didn't hit anything, what will more ammo do for you? The gunfight is probably over because:
    a. you're dead or injured
    b. the target has been scared off
    c. the target's getting ready to get a bead on you due to using cover and concealment.
    I'm just here for snark.
  • BullgatorBullgator Member Central FloridaPosts: 393 Member
    Jet pilot wrote: »
    Hey BPsniper. Which round took out Bin Laden? The round to the chest or the round in the head? One shot killed him instantly.

See, even the SEALs don't buy into one shot stops. They plugged OBL twice!
  • BullgatorBullgator Member Central FloridaPosts: 393 Member
    But back to the original topic - capacity is one of many factors I'll consider when looking at a carry gun. My XD45 holds 10+1 in compact mode. I can get more capacity in a 9mm but I'm not going to trade the power advantage of the first 11 rounds to gain another couple rounds that will likely be never fired. Likewise I wouldn't carry a 44 mag revolver to gain a power advantage while sacrificing capacity. It's a balancing act, you want to carry as many rounds of powerful ammo as you can. One thing I won't do is carry a mouse gun for EDC, where I do have to compriomise on power or number of rounds (or both).
    If an entire mag is emptied and no one is hit, all the ammo in the world won't help you. That is a failure to hit the target, not a failure due to capacity. Or to put it another way: if you just dumped 6-10 rounds and didn't hit anything, what will more ammo do for you? The gunfight is probably over because:
    c. the target's getting ready to get a bead on you due to using cover and concealment.

Why would anyone not hit anything ?
    My idea is to terminate the attack on Me in as few rounds as possible, then have almost a full mag, just in case.

I must have done something right, I am still alive and kicking.
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Living in a van, down by the river.Posts: 14,037 Senior Member
    DoctorWho wrote: »
    Why would anyone not hit anything ?

What was that you said about poor marksmanship? I was just responding to the previous poster.
    I'm just here for snark.
  • BufordBuford Senior Member CA. Beach citiesPosts: 6,721 Senior Member
    Whether I have 5 or 30 shots at my ready I'm comfortable either way.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
  • DASDAS New Member Posts: 10 New Member
    I have 5 rounds of .357 in a snub.

If I miss everyone, they're still deaf, blind, and on fire.
    I hope you're not prepping for a .357 to the gut. I saw the last one.

What was that? A compensated .40?

Please don't.

I'm a lurker. I'm a fan.
  • SlanteyedshootistSlanteyedshootist Senior Member Corvallis, OregonPosts: 3,947 Senior Member
    :popcorn:
    The answer to 1984 is 1776
  • BufordBuford Senior Member CA. Beach citiesPosts: 6,721 Senior Member
    DAS wrote: »
    Prove it.

Your kidding right?
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
    Popcorn?

My comments we're in no way meant as critical or adversarial.

I'm a lurker...y'all are a fun bunch to watch, and learn from even the ones from Tennessee.

Keep up the good work.
  • EliEli Senior Member Attalla, Alabama.Posts: 3,074 Senior Member
    DAS wrote: »
    I saw the last one.

What was that? A compensated .40?

Apparently the new guy has been around for a while.

Welcome, DAS.
  • bruchibruchi Senior Member Posts: 2,581 Senior Member
    Archived reply is whatever you practice witn a lot and are proficient with, if you carry speedloaders and can reload a revolver at a tenth the speed Miculek does it could work fine for you. Practice is the key, of course this after being able to keep your head in a situation where your life is at stake.

Then there is that video shown here a few weeks ago where it took 10 HITS, all centermass it seemed, from a policeman to put down ONE BG on a parking lot, this after the BG pulled the taser needles from his body!

We might have to rethink this some?
    If this post is non welcomed, I can always give you a recipe for making "tostones".
  • ares338ares338 New Member Posts: 2 New Member
    RE:Defensive handgun capacity: how much of a concern is it for you?

Since I am in a mobility most of the time I got the S&W M&P 9c and 2 exra mags. As long as I can't beat a tactical retreat, I may as well be able to deter them with 37 rounds. I mean, as long as I'm there!
  • bruchibruchi Senior Member Posts: 2,581 Senior Member

Well a maybe a heavy steel revolver will...

Very famous case here in Puerto Rico, police officer with a lot of years under him who happens to be a local PPC champion of decades gets in a shooting against a BG over the distance of a car hood, both empty their weapons at each other NO ONE IS HIT, pucker factor affects accuracy!

LEO got the best of the BG by lobbing his empty revolver at him and physically taking him down, again PUCKER FACTOR affects both sides of the fence and there are those for whatever reasons that are not going to go down easily against any handgun round.

In a defense situation I want all odds in my favor, no clue on why I have to settle for either this or that?

I want round capacity, extra ammo, ability of round to perform, shot placement and above all PUCKER factor!
    If this post is non welcomed, I can always give you a recipe for making "tostones".
    ares338 wrote: »
    Since I am in a mobility most of the time ... etc

It that a 2010 Mobility Escalade or is it the newer model?

(sorry...)
    samzhere wrote: »
    It that a 2010 Mobility Escalade or is it the newer model?

(sorry...)

A bit churlish to say to a new member, in my opinion. I thought you had shed the grammarman persona.
    I'm just here for snark.
    ares338 wrote: »
    RE:Defensive handgun capacity: how much of a concern is it for you?

Since I am in a mobility most of the time I got the S&W M&P 9c and 2 exra mags. As long as I can't beat a tactical retreat, I may as well be able to deter them with 37 rounds. I mean, as long as I'm there!

Now here's another thought: if you can't move well, you might need more ammo just for peace of mind.

ares338, welcome!
    I'm just here for snark.