Defensive handgun capacity: how much of a concern is it for you?

Replies

• breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,112 Senior Member
    samzhere wrote: »
    It that a 2010 Mobility Escalade or is it the newer model?

(sorry...)

A bit churlish to say to a new member, in my opinion. I thought you had shed the grammarman persona.
    Overkill is underrated.
    ares338 wrote: »
    RE:Defensive handgun capacity: how much of a concern is it for you?

Since I am in a mobility most of the time I got the S&W M&P 9c and 2 exra mags. As long as I can't beat a tactical retreat, I may as well be able to deter them with 37 rounds. I mean, as long as I'm there!

Now here's another thought: if you can't move well, you might need more ammo just for peace of mind.

ares338, welcome!
    Overkill is underrated.
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 9,561 Senior Member
    Now here's another thought: if you can't move well, you might need more ammo just for peace of mind.

ares338, welcome!

Or become more mobile!
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • SlanteyedshootistSlanteyedshootist Senior Member Posts: 3,947 Senior Member
    ares338 wrote: »
    RE:Defensive handgun capacity: how much of a concern is it for you?

Since I am in a mobility most of the time I got the S&W M&P 9c and 2 exra mags. As long as I can't beat a tactical retreat, I may as well be able to deter them with 37 rounds. I mean, as long as I'm there!

Did you know a 17 round magazine for the full size M&P will work in the Compact too? You can use an X Grip mag sleeve to extend the grip so you don't simply have the bottom of the mag hanging out. That would up your carrying capacity to 52.

Welcome to the asylum.
    The answer to 1984 is 1776
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    A bit churlish to say to a new member, in my opinion. I thought you had shed the grammarman persona.

C'mon, dude, lighten up. It was a joke and meant to bring a smile. Frankly i've got zero idea the word he was looking for when he used "mobility" but if I were being picky I'd have mentioned "exra". As it was, I was not being rude but joking in the "rouge" vs "rogue" vein.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
    New people might not get your brand to "humor." It's kind of akin to making fun of someone when you first meet them. Very rude. I would expect someone as mature as you to know that. Dude.
    Overkill is underrated.
    cpj wrote: »
    Hey new guy. Put your bettin' money away. Because you will LOSE IT.

Wanna bet? ;-)

Despite the current statement about setting clothing on fire (or not), is there some actual record where this has happened? I'm not talking about flames galore, just a sort of a small circular "flash burn" of a cotton shirt immediately surrounding the entrance point. Or has this been proven just urban legend?

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
    New people might not get your brand to "humor." It's kind of akin to making fun of someone when you first meet them. Very rude. I would expect someone as mature as you to know that. Dude.

I would expect some might disagree and see it as a humorous aside, without the subjective quotes. I certainly wasn't trying to be rude and from my own mature view, that's how I saw it. I'll bet you the guy smiled when he read it and didn't take umbrage. Dude.

• JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 15,072 Senior Member
    Despite the current statement about setting clothing on fire (or not), is there some actual record where this has happened?

Yes...the experiment was conducted by a member of this forum...results were posted for all to see...the member did not burst into flame, though it should be noted that he did NOT soak himself in gasoline as was suggested. He did however sustain an injury that periodically plagues him...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,857 Senior Member
    I live in a town of approx. 12,000, of approx. 500 are most likely undocumented aliens, but 99% of them just want to be left alone. I don't like paying for their perks through my taxes because they're here illegally, but I don't go looking for them to turn them in either. I leave that to the border patrol who along with the assistance of the local LE do a fair job of rooting them out and deporting them, contrary to what the news media says. Most of the Hispanics I know are here legally. However I know two Filipinos who are here illegally. But they're working on getting their paperwork updated. But none of these people threaten me anymore than anyone else. My main carry weapon is a 9mm S&W Double Action SA. I have others too, but that's my main one. It has a 12 round magazine. I have one spare. So if I can't handle Mr. Bad Guy with that, I need to lock my doors and stay at home.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • JeeperJeeper Senior Member Posts: 2,952 Senior Member
    Despite the current statement about setting clothing on fire (or not), is there some actual record where this has happened? I'm not talking about flames galore, just a sort of a small circular "flash burn" of a cotton shirt immediately surrounding the entrance point. Or has this been proven just urban legend?

Yes. It CAN happen. If you fire a .44 mag immediately adjacent to a piece of cloth (as in a towel over the bench rest) where the flash from the cylinder gap is close enough to said cloth for long enough (think a couple cylinder fulls), it WILL set it on fire. We have a forum member who can attest to this. LOL I'd be willing to bet that if you placed the end of the barrel close enough, you'd get the same effect.

Luis
    Wielding the Hammer of Thor first requires you to lift and carry the Hammer of Thor. - Bigslug
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,697 Senior Member
    A while back, mythbusters did a test to see if the blast from the cylinder gap on a 500S&W could sever a finger and the made a simulated hand out of pieces of chicken and found that the blast wouldn't cut through the bone but it blew the meat apart.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
    Jeeper wrote: »
    Yes. It CAN happen. If you fire a .44 mag immediately adjacent to a piece of cloth (as in a towel over the bench rest) where the flash from the cylinder gap is close enough to said cloth for long enough (think a couple cylinder fulls), it WILL set it on fire. We have a forum member who can attest to this. LOL I'd be willing to bet that if you placed the end of the barrel close enough, you'd get the same effect.

Luis

My dad told me of an incident that a guy's shirt was set on fire by being shot. He was specific that it "flashed" with a brief flare and was more like muzzle burn that a real fire, but that briefly, there was a tiny fire, just around the bullet strike.

This was from a heavy caliber handgun (.45) and at point blank range. The propellant was "modern" but not new, this encounter happening during the early 30s. Maybe that had something to do with it.

I do know that Dad was surprised when it happened, having heard this "urban legend" himself and didn't believe it until it happened.

• DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    I have seen "powder burns" as evidence at crime scenes on victims shot at so called "point blank range" at the morgue too.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • 104RFAST104RFAST Senior Member Posts: 1,265 Senior Member
    I am the PILOT
    knitepoet wrote: »
    Depends on what credentials you hold :jester:
  • 104RFAST104RFAST Senior Member Posts: 1,265 Senior Member
    In a perfect world we would be able to leave the house with whatever hand gun we choose regardless of size
    and capacity, however, CCW & HD are two separate issues. Its just not practical for me to CCW a full size
    auto loader in the summer in Florida, so I have to make a choice, J frame .38 or mouse gun, shorts and tee shirt
    cant accommodate much more. Now, if your talking home or truck SD, I pity the fool, my 1911 10MM should
    do nicely unless the zombies rise up ? If I'am confronted by more than two armed BG's I hope to get at least
    two of them regardless of bullet capacity, three or more I'am screwed.
    "three or more I'am screwed", Perhaps not, you may get shot, and take out the three, it is not a given that you will die either, they can miss too, same factors apply to them, and your practice may give you an edge you need to win.

You really have to try !!! if you give up in your mind, you really are toast.

"Its just not practical for me to CCW a full size auto loader in the summer in Florida,"

I used to carry full size 1911's as a plain clothes Constable in the Dominican Republic and it gets wicked hot over there, I never wore shorts either, long pants, however, at noon everyone goes home for lunch, nap time then returns at 2 pm.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • JeeperJeeper Senior Member Posts: 2,952 Senior Member
    104RFAST wrote: »
    In a perfect world we would be able to leave the house with whatever hand gun we choose regardless of size
    and capacity, however, CCW & HD are two separate issues. Its just not practical for me to CCW a full size
    auto loader in the summer in Florida, so I have to make a choice, J frame .38 or mouse gun, shorts and tee shirt
    cant accommodate much more. Now, if your talking home or truck SD, I pity the fool, my 1911 10MM should
    do nicely unless the zombies rise up ? If I'am confronted by more than two armed BG's I hope to get at least
    two of them regardless of bullet capacity, three or more I'am screwed.

I wear shorts and t-shirt OFTEN here in Florida (all summer pretty much) and carry a compact 1911 (Kimber Ultra Carry) all year long.

Luis
    Wielding the Hammer of Thor first requires you to lift and carry the Hammer of Thor. - Bigslug
    Another vote for full-size handgun in FL whole wearing shorts and T-shirt. 5" 1911 in a Crossbreed-type IWB. Muy comfy.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • EliEli Senior Member Posts: 3,074 Senior Member
    Its just not practical for me to CCW a full size
    cant accommodate much more.

About what is your body size/build?

Unless you are rail thin, or a real person, but miniaturized (like some plant life that we all know), it is possible to conceal at least a mid sized auto, without too much effort.

I'm a lot bigger than just about everybody else, but my summer (and most of spring and fall as well) attire is shorts, flip flops, and a t-shirt.......everyday I carry a full sized auto, a spare mag or two, and a backup gun in my left hand pocket. If I'm feeling particularly John Woo-ish, I'll forgo the spare mags, and carry my Glock 19 on my left side and either my Glock 34, one of my 1911s, or My M&P 45 on my right.

It's honestly not that difficult, you just have to be prepared to dress around the gun.
    "It's honestly not that difficult, you just have to be prepared to dress around the gun."

Amen to that, lots of tailors running around loose too nowadays, I have ideas about pants and shirts a tailor can make to fit, not too expensive either.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,866 Senior Member
    I am the PILOT
    Like I said, depends on your credentials :jester:
    I have a friend who flies commercial with an M-4 or similar fairly often
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Sounds like BP
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 9,561 Senior Member
    knitepoet wrote: »
    Like I said, depends on your credentials :jester:
    I have a friend who flies commercial with an M-4 or similar fairly often

And where does he conceal that?
    Sent from my R800x using Tapatalk
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
    jbp-ohio wrote: »
    Sent from my R800x using Tapatalk

Perhaps the M-4 is disguised to resemble a my lil pony doll, and he carries it in plain sight on the plane...... :jester:
    jbp-ohio wrote: »
    Baggy pants
    Those must be some mighty big fancy pants, to be able to conceal an M-4 + accessories.

:yikes:
    DoctorWho wrote: »
    Those must be some mighty big fancy pants, to be able to conceal an M-4 + accessories.

:yikes:

They have lots of pockets...
  • bruchibruchi Senior Member Posts: 2,582 Senior Member
    I've said this before and I may be wrong --- I'd appreciate someone showing me news reports or similar stories where continuing firing was needed in a civilian vs thug shooting. But it's my guess that you'd probably never need that 2nd magazine of ammo, and that the first 6-8 rounds you fire will decide the confrontation.

There was a VIDEO here not long ago where a LEO had to shoot at close range a BG 10 times centermass to put him out of commission, this after the BG pulled away the probes from the taser he had been hit with. LEO are more prone but NOT EXCLUSIVE to being in a real fight!

I drove a cab in LA for a couple of years, 2 outfits, first one catered to the best place to buy crack in LA, worst area in town those days, saw more than one bloody body laying on the floor, had 14 year old kids loading uzi magazines behind me while I drove them wherever, moved to the second outfit after I got to an emergency call to find a fellow driver holding an oily rag to the back of the head of a driver that had just been shot point blank. It was a 38 and he made it, not 100% but alive.

Second outfit catered to Santa Monica, Pacific Palisades, Venice Beach, Marina del Rey, Malibu and so on, Got tired of seeing Arnold next to me on a light either on his custom Humvee, a Harley or a convertible Bentley, took millionaires and the sporadic B rate movie star around, most scared I was in my entire cabbie career was when I worked in that so sanitized and safe environment, picked up a "ride" before dawn at one of those very pricey houses right on the beach in Malibu worth many millions and ended taking them up to some place in South Central I don't want to ever visit again.

You never know where your day will take you.
    If this post is non welcomed, I can always give you a recipe for making "tostones".
  • DASDAS New Member Posts: 10 New Member
    Thanks for the welcome Eli.