Dealing with Hunting and Game Laws in General

snake284snake284 Senior MemberPosts: 21,851 Senior Member
The thread about our experiences with game wardens got me thinking about the other thread about game laws we think are ridiculous. knitepoet talked of his experience being checked once. I have been checked while hunting only once. Knitepoet's suggestions on how to respond are spot on. And like he said, if the game warden is just hell bent on giving you a citation, well maybe you got a good lawyer..... however, if he's open about it, the quickest way to slam the door closed and get a ticket is to act belligerent or smart alec. That will do it. Just challenge him a little and he will usually respond predictably.

Unless you have more money than good sense, the best policy is be polite. Even if in the end he gives you a ticket, part company with him in as friendly a manner as you can muster within yourself. Remember that he/she may talk to the judge before hand and if he remembers you favorably, so much the better. Sometimes it's harder than eating a hot, wet, cat turd to smile and be friendly, but it does in most cases pay off.

However, if you have the funds for legal assistance and just want to make a statement go right ahead. A friend of mine did just that. Joe was a county agriculture agent in charge of marine matters here. He was an avid waterfowl hunter and used to go up the Lavaca-Navidad River hunting on tide lands. There is one such place called the Windmill, because it is a pond next to an old cattle tank with a windmill that pumps fresh water into the tank for the cattle to drink. However the tank and windmill are not on tide lands, but a foot or so higher on more solid ground. But this pond is definitely in the area that natural tide water can cover. That's why water is in it because the brackish river tide keeps it full of water. And it is a great attractant to waterfowl (mainly ducks). So like many, Joe loved to hunt there.

However, here in Texas, as in many places, Money Talks and BS walks. This is not the first unconstitutional abuse by big money on hunting lands. Big land owners resent laws that govern tide lands, because they have no control over who hunts it except under the table. And if they get the local game warden and judge in their pocket, WATCH OUT!!! Because if you are hunting on a tideland and the adjacent land owner resents you hunting "HIS" game so close to his land he will press charges if he has the game warden in his pocket. And this was the case with the Windmill pond on the river. Joe was hunting this pond which is clearly, according to the law's definition, tidelands. And the local game warden issued him a citation for tresspassing.

However, this Polack, Joe S., faught it. The ranch owner never figured on such an intelligent, perserverant, hard headed Polack challenging the local authority. And after many years of appeals from both sides, Joe won the case and set a precedent that has helped the hunter. Well, it helped the "Water Fowl" Hunter. But it ended up hurting the deer and hog tideland hunter in some cases. Because the wealthier ranches and land owners merely put up game fences at the edges of the tide lands, which has brought tideland hog hunting and an occasional shot at a deer to a screeching halt.

One added advantage to that particular place which borders the Powderhorn Ranch was that you never knew what would walk out of the brush. Could be a white tail, but could and more often was, an axis or sambar deer. Sambars get over 1,000 pounds. But mainly what this hurt was hog hunting. Because hogs would come out on the tidal plains on a regular basis and many a tide land hunter got a shot at a hog there.

So, do any of you have any similar stories to tell about your area of the country?
Daddy, what's an enabler?
Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.

Replies

• TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,417 Senior Member
    Dove hunting on opening day in Tennessee is a big social event. Traditionally, September 1st. at 12:00 Noon opens the dove season, and it's as much about social (and politcal) status as it is about shooting a limit of doves. The trick to attracting a bunch of doves to a shoot is to do some sort of "agricultural" procedure that leaves lots of food on the ground, such as harvesting corn silage and missing the hopper with a lot of the ground-up corn, baling soybean/millet hay and getting a little careless with the hay rake so there's a lot of residue left behind, or sowing a field heavily with winter wheat a few days before the season opens and hoping it doesn't rain before the birds find the field. Once the grain sprouts, the doves don't pay much attention to it. Planting corn is a springtime procedure, so it's not considered to be a "normal agricultural procedure" in late August. Dumping a truckload of dried, cracked fodder corn in a disked-up field is also sort of frowned upon!

One opening day, the Lieutenant Governor and a bunch of his buddies from the state legislature got themselves cited for "shooting over bait". It just happened that a dump truck load of corn had been applied to the field where their shoot was being held- - - - -but nobody seemed to notice! I guess it was just a coincedence that the L.G. and virtually everyone who got ticketed were Republicans, and the Governor and the Speaker of the House in Tennessee at the time were Dummycraps!
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,731 Senior Member
    snake284 wrote: »
    .........the quickest way to slam the door closed and get a ticket is to act belligerent or smart alec. That will do it. ?

Works for me.........cos when you get 2 smart Alec's together, the one with the badge (me) dictates how its going to go........
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,967 Senior Member
    Were really getting on with this family of related questions, hey.

Next is did you intentionally shoot over the limit?
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,967 Senior Member
    orchidman wrote: »
    Works for me.........cos when you get 2 smart Alec's together, the one with the badge (me) dictates how its going to go........
    Well, that is a good way; what I hate is when the warden or forest cop starts out being a wiseacre for no reason---but, I've only seen it that way twice and being calm caused them calm down and act civil with no unnecessary actions such as citations.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,851 Senior Member
    What a coincedence, I misspelled Smart Ellec and right in front of a smart alec, lol!!! Next time I'll use another word such as wise A lol!!! Of course the A would stand for Alec, hehehe!!!
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • sarg1csarg1c Senior Member Posts: 1,707 Senior Member
    You are correct snake. reminds me of what happened two years ago during modern gun season. I was in my stand on some property adjoining a school, A game warden pulls up to my stand and getting out of his truck asked me if I was on school property. I saaid no and that I had permission, when he told me that a school teacher looked out her window and could barly make out that some one was hunting on school property. I told him to catch my rifle and I would come down and move my stand just over the crest of a small hill. We talked about several things like the elk in eastern Ky. and just hunting in particular when he asked me if that was my ATV parked around a small stand of timber. said he saw it from the road. now I'm wandering if thats why he came to check me out or if the teacher actually called him. But I kept my cool, couldn't hunt there the rest of the day after all the comotion any way.Some times it's better to bit your lip and just answer with a yes sir...I don't think he should have driven up to my stand, But everthing was ok. he is a nice guy...