Home Main Category Personal Defense

Home defense plan.

MarvinMarvin MemberNorth CarolinaPosts: 126 Member
I got called out for a shooting last night and thought I would share it with the group. I feel it is a perfect example of executing a self defense plan in your home. During the storms last night a female in her 40's was home alone in bed. She lived with her teenage daughter but she was away for the night. She heard her dogs barking a sound that made her think a tree limb hit her house. She got up to check it out. She walked into her kitchen and noticed a male trying to open her sliding glass door that leads to her back yard. She immediately ran back into her bedroom and locked her door. She activated the panic function on her home alarm and dialed 911. She calmly provided the dispatcher with her name address and emergency before the dispatcher had to ask. She explained she was locked in her room, she was in fear for her life and was armed with a handgun. She stayed on the line as the suspect broke out her kitchen window and crawled in her house. She kept the dispatcher updated on what she was hearing as he moved around inside. She told the dispatcher if he came in the bedroom she was going to shoot him. As the suspect began forcing open the door she was giving loud verbal commands for him to leave her home. Once he got the door open she fired one time striking the suspect center torso. The suspect retreated down the hallway but returned a few moments later and came back in the bedroom. She fired once more and he still continued towards her. She shot him a third time as he collapsed on her bed. She was able to run out of the house and meet the responding officers outside. The suspect was DOA when the officers entered. The entire encounter was recorded on the 911 call as she kept the phone with her and stayed on the line. The suspect was suffering from mental illness compounded by drug use. We don't know what his exact intentions were but it's safe to say they were not good. I bring this up because I feel it is a perfect example of how to respond to a home invasion type scenario. She had made a prior plan and stuck to it even during an incident that sends your adrenalin through roof. Something for us all to think about and be prepared for.

Replies

• NNNN Senior Member NCPosts: 25,221 Senior Member
    Some story, she did good.
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    Great account, and another happy ending, bad guy attains room temperature.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Pensacola, FLPosts: 10,838 Senior Member
    What gun/caliber/ammo was she using???
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • MarvinMarvin Member North CarolinaPosts: 126 Member
    jbp-ohio wrote: »
    What gun/caliber/ammo was she using???

J frame S&W with JHP ammo. I don't know particulars on the ammo. She also had crimson trace grips but I am not sure she used them. The longest shot was no more than 6 or 7 feet.
  • rbsivleyrbsivley Senior Member The Heart of DixiePosts: 1,259 Senior Member
    Good job.
    Randy

Rank does not concur privileges. It imposes responsibility. Author unknow
  • SirGeorgeKillianSirGeorgeKillian Senior Member Sovereign SCPosts: 5,463 Senior Member
    What the guy with foliage said. It worked good for her, which is awesome, but if the guy would have been armed the time it took shots 2 and 3 to do their work, she could have ended up the same.
    Staying on the phone with 911 was a good idea too, I probably would have set the phone down and not hung up, kinda hands free.

I lie, I would have probably updated my facebook between shots :yesno:
    Unless life also hands you water and sugar, your lemonade is gonna suck!
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    I'm in love with a Glock
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Pensacola, FLPosts: 10,838 Senior Member
    Marvin wrote: »
    J frame S&W with JHP ammo. I don't know particulars on the ammo. She also had crimson trace grips but I am not sure she used them. The longest shot was no more than 6 or 7 feet.

That is what my wife has (minus the crimson trace).

I would never warn the BG ''I have a gun!''. If the BG had a gun and you tell him you have a gun, he might just start shooting thru the door. BANG is the first thing he should hear.
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Manistee Natl ForestPosts: 18,292 Senior Member
    She did very well...especially with staying on the line with 911...thus the entire incident was recorded... no need for her to try to remember in the heat of the moment while recovering from an adrenaline high...A "Well Done" is in order...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • SlanteyedshootistSlanteyedshootist Senior Member Corvallis, OregonPosts: 3,947 Senior Member
    I do love stories with happy endings.
    The answer to 1984 is 1776
    I do love stories with happy endings.

Me too.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • glockman0422glockman0422 Member South FloridaPosts: 216 Member
    I Agree 100% with BPsniper, shoot untill the threat stops.
  • 104RFAST104RFAST Senior Member Tarpon Springs FLPosts: 1,281 Senior Member
    Although an after action review would recommend a few changes,its obvious she had given the event a great deal of prior
    consideration and was very well prepared for the event,GOOD JOB. BTW, anyone stupid enough to open a bedroom door
    knowing the person on the other side is awake is the winner of the Darwin Award for the month!! IMO if you are going to
    use a revolver for HD, a .357 might be a better choice.
  • samzheresamzhere Banned HoustonPosts: 10,923 Senior Member
    I agree with others that her single fault -- if you can call it that -- was to announce to the perp that she was armed, etc. Loudly telling the perp where you are is a mistake. As my shooting instructor told me long ago, "The first time he knows you're armed is when he sees the muzzle flash."

But overall the lady did great. A tip of the cap to her. I know she'll feel remorse for the shooting but I hope she gets over that soon.
  • samzheresamzhere Banned HoustonPosts: 10,923 Senior Member
    I Agree 100% with BPsniper, shoot untill the threat stops.

It's likely that the lady did exactly that. The perp retreated after being hit once, and following him and maybe shooting him in the back would not be advisable. Soon as the perp returned it seems that she continued her defense.
    The encounter was a success, I also agree that announcing one is armed is perhaps not the greatest idea...... have seen people on television yell that they are armed.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Manistee Natl ForestPosts: 18,292 Senior Member
    DoctorWho wrote: »
    I also agree that announcing one is armed is perhaps not the greatest idea......

However....all you detractors from announcing you are armed are missing one thing....the fact that 911 was recording the call....consequently, there can be NO legal discussion about whether the lady in question did everything she could to warn the perpetrator off, before she shot him... There's pluses and minuses to everything...

Actually this tactic had been brought up in nearly every self-defense class I've attended....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 12,315 Senior Member
    I hate that someone had to go through hat, but good thing she survived and the threat was stopped.

She had a plan and followed it. Good.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • ghostsniper1ghostsniper1 Banned O HI OPosts: 2,645 Senior Member
    I read the OP's first post and never saw anywhere that he stated the woman announced that she was armed btw. Just that she shouted verbal commands. Where did you guys get that at?
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member crusted in sandPosts: 5,797 Senior Member
    I read the OP's first post and never saw anywhere that he stated the woman announced that she was armed btw. Just that she shouted verbal commands. Where did you guys get that at?

Are you suggesting that someone responded without thoroughly reading and interpreting a post? Get out of town!:tooth:
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me