Question for you CCW folks??????

104RFAST104RFAST Senior MemberPosts: 1,262 Senior Member
I've been carrying off and on for more than 20 yrs, lately, more often than not! One of the things I find myself
doing lately is trying to identify those around me as possible CCW. I haven't had much success looking for
other people's guns. Ether they are good at concealment ( that's the goal ) or I'am not very astute at identifying
them. Checking people out for possible CCW is something new to me and I don't know why I started doing it, I
guess you guys are getting to me!! Do you do this or am I going nutttttts, if so, have you ever identified a CCW.

Replies

• SirGeorgeKillianSirGeorgeKillian Senior Member Posts: 5,458 Senior Member
    Yup. Out of habit from work more so than because I carry. On EMS calls, I don't like surprises. If done properly, CCW can be hard to detect.
    Unless life also hands you water and sugar, your lemonade is gonna suck!
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    I'm in love with a Glock
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,669 Senior Member
    Yup. Out of habit from work more so than because I carry. On EMS calls, I don't like surprises. If done properly, CCW can be hard to detect.
    :that:
    Plus I like seeing if I can spot folks that are carrying just for fun, especially if they're wearing what I call a "shoot me first" shirt or hat.
    And yes, I've spotted quite a few over the years
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,545 Senior Member
    Considering how easy it is to get a permit in Florida, and when I took my class years ago there were people from all walks of life in the class making it almost impossible to profile as to what type of person would be likely to carry, I just assume that almost everyone is carrying. It's safer than assuming they're not.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,788 Senior Member
    Fisheadgib wrote: »
    Considering how easy it is to get a permit in Florida, and when I took my class years ago there were people from all walks of life in the class making it almost impossible to profile as to what type of person would be likely to carry, I just assume that almost everyone is carrying. It's safer than assuming they're not.

+1

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • wddodgewddodge Senior Member Posts: 992 Senior Member
    The easiest way for me to spot one is to watch for people "adjusting" something. Most people need to learn to keep their hands away from what they are trying to hide.

Denny
    Participating in a gun buy back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids.... Clint Eastwood
  • mythaeusmythaeus Senior Member Posts: 831 Senior Member
    I posted links to several articles when we had a discussion on using holster and FBI studies (http://forums.gunsandammo.com/showthread.php?3372-The-FBI-backs-me-up-USE-A-HOLSTER!&p=60371&viewfull=1#post60371) . The first link in the post is to the most recent article which summarizes behaviors of people who carry and how to spot them. A lot of it deals with criminal carry, but really those are the people I'm most concerned about. Here's the bulletin with the article: http://www.fbi.gov/stats-services/publications/law-enforcement-bulletin/2006-pdfs/mar06leb.pdf

Al
    "In a controversy, the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth and have begun striving for ourselves." - Siddhartha Gautama
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,061 Senior Member
    I have never bothered doing this, but maybe I should.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 14,837 Senior Member
    The most common "tell" for me usually occurs with those new to carrying concealed...they seem to be constantly patting themselves down and adjusting...particularly when they first get out of a car...Then of course there is the ubiquitous "photographers vest" which just screams "I'm packin"!!!"
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,903 Senior Member
    I did, but, don't bother anymore.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
    Here's another article that actually does a much better job with identifying law abiding carriers and goes more extensively into behaviors:

Dealing with citizens legally carrying a concealed weapon
    http://www.policeone.com/police-products/firearms/articles/2144601-Dealing-with-citizens-legally-carrying-a-concealed-weapon/

Al
    "In a controversy, the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth and have begun striving for ourselves." - Siddhartha Gautama
  • Mr.FMr.F Member Posts: 89 Member
    I won't carry 6 o'clock / small of the back due to how many people I have spotted printing drasticly or worse yet the shirt riding up over the firearm & exposing it for all to see or grab from you .
    Jermanator : You might talk about Tauruses around your wife, but that just doesn't fly in my house.
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,553 Senior Member
    I've rarely looked for CCWs, but I've always assessed the people that come close to me that don't obviously fit any of my stereotypes for 'safe people.' Anyone who looks like they could be dressing oddly to accommodate a weapon gets a few more glances than the 'safe people.'
    Mr.F wrote: »
    I won't carry 6 o'clock / small of the back due to how many people I have spotted printing drasticly or worse yet the shirt riding up over the firearm & exposing it for all to see or grab from you .

Holy crap! You're back!!! :hug:

:beer:
    Al
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    Never actually spotted anyone carrying. I did notice the slight bulge with a couple of pals but that was after I already knew they were armed. I don't think I would have noticed otherwise. But I also don't look at guys that often, more likely focused on the chicks, ha ha.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,337 Senior Member
    I don't go out of my way to look for who might be carrying, but I've often spotted people who do so. And I admit, when I first started carrying concealed, I thought the entire world was watching me! But that quickly passed, and it soon became second nature.
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    There are so many different types of LEOs out there, if you started swinging a dead cat around, chances are good you might crack a LEO in the haid with it at some point...... :jester:
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • SlanteyedshootistSlanteyedshootist Senior Member Posts: 3,947 Senior Member
    samzhere wrote: »
    Never actually spotted anyone carrying. I did notice the slight bulge with a couple of pals but that was after I already knew they were armed. I don't think I would have noticed otherwise. But I also don't look at guys that often, more likely focused on the chicks, ha ha.

I agree, much more interesting "bulges".
    The answer to 1984 is 1776
  • Jet pilotJet pilot New Member Posts: 29 New Member
    If you see me, I am packing.
    I wear an NRA, Glock or Gadsden ball cap with a vest so that CCW brothers and sisters like you do not have to guess. We are all members of a noble gang/fraternity. Wear your colors :-0

Yours In Liberty
    Bob, NRA Lifer
    Sent from my iGlock using Tapatalk
    Yours In Liberty,
    Bob
    Glock 27 NRA Life
    Jet pilot wrote: »
    If you see me, I am packing.
    I wear an NRA, Glock or Gadsden ball cap with a vest so that CCW brothers and sisters like you do not have to guess. We are all members of a noble gang/fraternity. Wear your colors :-0

Yours In Liberty
    Bob, NRA Lifer
    Sent from my iGlock using Tapatalk

That is what they call shoot me first wear around the forum here.....
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
    But in the case of that .1% you've just made yourself a target for shuriken.

MallNinja.jpg

It's taking an unnecessary risk when hanging out at a shopping mall.
    I forget who mentioned that he was tipped off that a guy was carrying by the scent of hoppes bore cleaner, and that it was in a gun store too.

When I was a LEO in NYC, many times either off duty / plain clothes, I would run into LEOs of various and diverse agencies, and it was never an issue, a brief hello, and whats new etc......chit chat, as I was not trying to hide that I was armed......

At least now with prevalent CCW, and so many retired LEOs out there, things are a bit more relaxed.

Hard to tell who is carrying now that bulges abound, more recently, at a fueling station, I saw an older guy carrying a large framed revolver in a cross draw holster, he was not very careful either, so I figured he was either a Sheriff of some small County or a retired LEO.....
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    The most common "tell" for me usually occurs with those new to carrying concealed...they seem to be constantly patting themselves down and adjusting...particularly when they first get out of a car...Then of course there is the ubiquitous "photographers vest" which just screams "I'm packin"!!!"

I wear a "photgrapher's vest" at times but being Asian people just assume I'm one of those goofy tourists who take pictures of everything in sight. Racial stereotyping is a good thing at times.:tooth:
  • OjibahineOjibahine New Member Posts: 25 New Member
    Jayhawker wrote: »

Damn! I was gonna buy one of those vests. Wonder if my M&P can fit into that "cleavage holster" I was looking at. :rotflmao:
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,903 Senior Member
    Just get the western style vest
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • samfissuresamfissure Member Posts: 60 Member
    My wife once had to have a bodyguard for an event she was hosting (long stalker story). I know he was carrying but I really tried to see where and could not. The only time I notice is when it's obvious. For me, when I ride the hog I have a leather vest with an inside pocket for my Sig and when I'm not it's in the Blackhawk holster which is covered by a big shirt or hoodie.
    Who is John Galt?