Dooms Day Prepared???

BlitschBlitsch MemberPosts: 31 Member
First how many of you buy into that dooms day is around the corner?

Now I don’t believe that we are looking at the apocalypse coming in December. I believe that someday the apocalypse will happen I just don’t think that some calendar will tell us when that is. I am however concerned about what the earth’s population is going to do to itself.

Second are you prepared for the events that are unfolding in our media and society?

I saw a show last night on the Discovery channel about Doomsday and saw what people are going through to prepare for catastrophes. I’d like to be prepared for my family and I but there is NO way I could afford to go to the extremes of these people. I feel like history is repeating itself with fear of nuclear war back in the, what 50’s and 60’s preparing for time spent underground for months or even years.

So how does a young family with a limited resource of extra money go about getting ready for the ensuing conflicts? I pray it never comes down to it and I pray people never have to use their bunkers but should it happen I want to be prepared. I have a few rifles, a shotgun, a couple hand guns, and one sword from WWII, but after seeing the arsenal of weapons that others have I’m out gunned. I’d like to get a few other weapons and prepare supplies but I could never afford a bunker like they install. Just thought this would make an interesting conversation knowing I’d go thru hell for my family to be safe and sound.

State of readiness 42 votes

Prepared – Got guns, check, got food, check, got water, check
21% 9 votes
Working on it – Got the essentials but still stocking up
21% 9 votes
Just starting – I’ve got a plan but nothing stock piled yet
23% 10 votes
Plan who needs to worry about this stuff
33% 14 votes

Replies

• 41 cal41 cal Member Posts: 97 Member
    I saw that show,wow,some people are really serious.Doomsday criers have been around probably as long as man could talk.Some were probably right meaning the fall of some civilizations, and now its possible there isn't that big of a catylst needed for a real disaster man on man type.I try to be reasonably prepared but for something like the movie 2012 don't think anything will help.Bottom line I don't think it will happen but if so well it's been great while it lasted.
    I was always taught to respect my elders, but its getting harder to find one ...
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 9,555 Senior Member
    To be really prepared would be a full time job. You would also have to do most of the work yourself, or the people who know of your stockpile will be after it when they are starving. Best bet is to have a bunch of well armed people defending.

More realistic, I would like to be prepared enough to last a month or two if something happened like a big ice storm or something that disrupts the food distribution to the stores. I will never be prepared to go years... unless I hit the powerball!

preparedness-demotivational-poster-1234422204.jpg
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 15,213 Senior Member
    I am ready for stuff like a massive grid failure, civil unrest (don't laugh-- 67' riots in Detroit weren't that far away from me), tornadoes, ice storms and whatnot. These things have, do, and will happen. It just seems like common sense to me. For a full scale nuclear war, Mayan apocalypse, or something of that nature-- no, I am not prepared-- if I survive that, there won't be all that many people around that I would need to compete for resources with.
  • airheadairhead Member Posts: 424 Member
    I live in hurricane country. So, I'm prepared to be without water & power for a week or so.

My house is not a hard target, too many glass sliding doors and large windows.

In the event of a direct path hit or civil unrest, we're bugging out.
    This post has been made with 100% recycled electrons.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,147 Senior Member
    The only way to be truly prepared for a national emergency is to have an impenetrable missile silo, like one guy I saw on one of those preparedness shows, and it has to be self-contained with air, power, water and maybe a years worth of food for four. The rest of us will either have to bail out to the high ground or fight it out from our homes.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!
  • wddodgewddodge Senior Member Posts: 1,002 Senior Member
    If something wierd happened, my family wouldn't be too bad off for a couple of weeks. Past that we'd all better brush up on survival skills.

Denny
    Participating in a gun buy back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids.... Clint Eastwood
  • alphasigmookiealphasigmookie Senior Member Posts: 8,743 Senior Member
    Wambli Ska wrote: »

All jokes aside I think that in a true end of civilization scenario your ability to make trustful bonds with other likeminded humans and leadership or organizational skills combined with basic survival knowledge and some skills like being able to build shelter and hunt, will be a lot more important that a 20 year food hoard...

:that:

The lone wolf fantasies of heading off into the wilderness on your own or with your family alone are just that, fantasies. Despite all American's "individualist" ideals, humans are by nature tribal creatures. Since the dawn of man we have survived not as lone individuals but in groups. Things like leadership, cooperation, and trust (and knowing who to trust and not trust) are going to be as important or more as far as long term survival goes. Skills and knowledge are also going to go much farther in helping to keep you alive than anything you can buy or stockpile. Stockpiles can be stolen, skills and knowledge cannot.
    "Finding out that you have run out of toilet paper is a good example of lack of preparation, buying 10 years worth is silly"
    -DoctorWho
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 15,055 Senior Member
    All jokes aside I think that in a true end of civilization scenario your ability to make trustful bonds with other likeminded humans and leadership or organizational skills combined with basic survival knowledge and some skills like being able to build shelter and hunt, will be a lot more important that a 20 year food hoard...

From what I've seen of this show, these folks get one particular catastrophe in their heads and focus on preparing for it...be it the Yellowstone volcano eruption, economic collapse, EMP, etc etc etc...and IMHO fail to have multifaceted plans...the guy that had to have a Country snow plow clear the road in order to get to his mini-van to his shelter located at 11,000 feet, shows a distinct flaw in his planning process.... Additionally, stockpiling tons of food, water, guns ammo, etc, and then getting on National TV and advertising it is well....stupid.

I also wonder what the guy with the half-million dollar underground shelter is going to do when someone starts pumping water down his air vent and flushes his family out like a bunch of prairie dogs...

We take common sense measures as far as food storage, emergency power, having a solid network of self-sufficient friends. etc...and rather than investing in precious metals we invest in lead and copper.... and keep an eye out for those who advertise that they have huge stockpiles of stuff
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,803 Senior Member
    Guns, food, water, money, barter items, fuel, medicine, ammunition, and a gas mask, it's all going to last just so long if a true EOTWAWKI event occurs. I plan to be self sufficient up to two months. Beyond that, anything can happen.

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
    41 cal wrote: »
    I saw that show,wow,some people are really serious.Doomsday criers have been around probably as long as man could talk.Some were probably right meaning the fall of some civilizations, and now its possible there isn't that big of a catylst needed for a real disaster man on man type.I try to be reasonably prepared but for something like the movie 2012 don't think anything will help.Bottom line I don't think it will happen but if so well it's been great while it lasted.

Anyone who claims to be able to predict the future with any certainty is a liar. The bottom line is we don't know what will happen 5 years from now or even 5 days from now. We do know from history that bad things can and will happen. Every new day is another roll of the dice. Exactly what will happen and when however is impossible to know. Spending your whole life worrying or preparing for what might happen I feel is a very poor way to spend the time you do have. But if it makes someone feel better about themselves or they enjoy it, all the more power to them.

The word like to use is Resilience. Setting yourself up so that you can survive or even thrive in the most possible futures seems like the most prudent strategy. The biggest mistake that people tend to make is selling out on one possible future to the point that they're lost if what they envisioned happening does not. This can apply both for people who over prepare for one specific type of disaster and to people who think that the status quo will go on forever.

When you think about preparing think about how the things you buy or skills you build can help not only if the world does end as we know it, but also in more mundane situations like natural disasters, power outages, economic hardship, job loss, or even every day life. For example things like composting, planting a garden, canning, can make a lot of sense even if society keeps on chugging away. In general making your daily life less dependent upon things that are the first to go away (truck delivered food to local store, electricity, gasoline, public water systems) is easier said than done, but taking small steps to limit your dependence can help.
    "Finding out that you have run out of toilet paper is a good example of lack of preparation, buying 10 years worth is silly"
    -DoctorWho
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 26,106 Senior Member
    This:

GLOBALWARMINGSOLVED.jpg

is Doomsday. Everything else is just a minor inconvenience. :tooth:
    If the U.S. Congress was put in charge of the Sahara Desert, there would be a shortage of sand in under six months.

• DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    Imagine this, a guy builds and stocks the perfect shelter with all he will ever need, then as he is preparing to lock up and leave, he trips on a shoe lace and falls breaking his neck and dies in his shelter, never to be seen again.

It is good to prepare to some degree, but many of these folks are somewhat unbalanced mentally.

knowledge and skills will probably be of more value, than bunkers if anything happens.

In the case of an ELE, survival will depend on factors outside the capabilities of most folks to adequately prepare for.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    No doomsday will occur. Period. You may as well prepare for a meteor strike.

I'm not dense. I've got my firearms for general self defense under the conditions we face today, not the future. And living in a hurricane zone, I keep enough bottled water and canned food for about a week, other stuff like duct tape and batteries and general first aid, and have this in my kitchen cabinet, and keep it updated (replacing batteries).

In other words, only common sense stuff for "regular" emergencies. Doomsday will not happen.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
  • ChuckXXChuckXX Banned Posts: 103 Member
    Good thread and Iam glad that somebody finally started one. I can assure you that most people cannot compete with those folks that they show on the TV show called DOOMSDAY PREPPERS. Personally, I think most of those folks are way over the top. Some people would even say fanatical. If you get yourself a large amount of cannned goods (jars are ok too) and just store them in your basement along with a bunch of bottled water (lots of water) you are on the way to a good start. A generator is probably a good idea too. Now, as far as guns and ammo goes my belief is I would rather have lots and lots of ammo and fewer guns than the other way around. When I see that show and some family of 4 of which 2 are young kids and they show them having 40 long guns and 35 pistols and dozens and dozens of mags hanging on the wall I just can't help but think they are WAY OVER THE TOP . You really only can shoot one gun at a time effectively and as long as you have plenty of ammo thats what really matters. I only have 5 pistols. All 9 mm's. Plus I do have one 30:06 rifle with a 4x12 scope mounted on it. Thats all I got!!!!!! But I do have close to a thousand rounds of ammo. If it gets to the point where you need that kind of firepower your chances of survival for any great length of time are probably not very good anyway. GOD BLESS YOU ALL.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 15,055 Senior Member
    ChuckXX wrote: »
    When I see that show and some family of 4 of which 2 are young kids and they show them having 40 long guns and 35 pistols and dozens and dozens of mags hanging on the wall I just can't help but think they are WAY OVER THE TOP . You really only can shoot one gun at a time effectively and as long as you have plenty of ammo thats what really matters. I only have 5 pistols. All 9 mm's. Plus I do have one 30:06 rifle with a 4x12 scope mounted on it. Thats all I got!!!!!! But I do have close to a thousand rounds of ammo. If it gets to the point where you need that kind of firepower your chances of survival for any great length of time are probably not very good anyway. GOD BLESS YOU ALL.

Just think of them as a post-apocalyptic gun/grocery store....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    DoctorWho wrote: »
    It is good to prepare to some degree, but many of these folks are somewhat unbalanced mentally.

I wouldn't say that per say, but one thing many of them have in common is that they are pretty poorly prepared to succeed if the world doesn't end. For many of them there is nothing they would like more than for the apocalypse to actually happen. In the real world they are a marginalized nutcases or nobodies, but if the end were to come THEN they would be king, or at least that's what they imagine (of course we all know Wambli will actually be king!). There is always a high degree of fantasy with any "doomsday" thinking. Not that there's anything wrong with fantasies of course, at least until they start taking over your life in unhealthy ways.
    -DoctorWho
    Lots of these folks seem to exhibit compulsive and obsessive behavior patterns.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    I wouldn't say that per say, but one thing many of them have in common is that they are pretty poorly prepared to succeed if the world doesn't end. etc etc.

Excellent analysis, alpha. I quick-scanned one of those post-apocalypse survival novels once, quit after about a hour, couldn't stand it further.

These guys daydream about afterward, after of course their friends who made fun of them are reduced to begging, and these former friends become willing servants and serfs to the superior one. The guy is sitting in an easy chair near his fireplace, loyal dog and wife lying on the carpet on either side, he's got his pipe to smoke and his sons and daughters are suzerain of his estates. He sips a brandy and knows he's got it good, thinking fondly of his several extra wives, each in their own cabins nearby, trying to decide which to visit his favors upon, and..... (poof!) alarm goes off, time to get his butt off to his sales job at Target.

I firmly believe there will not be "the big one" ever, but if it does occur, it will either be something like a gamma ray burst that toasts the whole world in 10 seconds, or if people survive, will be like "The Road" by Cormac McCarthy (excellent novel and good movie, faithful to the book). I don't wanna be there.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
  • 104RFAST104RFAST Senior Member Posts: 1,265 Senior Member
    I,m not to keen on the doomsday thing, but civil unrest ( zombies) is very likely at some point, the scale of events will vary
    a great deal depending on where you live.My family has had some discussion regarding what could happen in our local area and plan to stick it out here at my home. Basically our plans are no different than planning for a hurricane, food, water,gas for cars,boats,BBQ grill & GUNS. I think its best to have guns and ammo in the more common calibers, hopefully you just hose the stuff off and reuse as necessary. Almost forgot, night vision IR could come in handy.
    Its a sad day in America that we even discuss this stuff!!:iwo:
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 8,662 Senior Member
    We always have enough food and water to get us by for two weeks or so. Living in South Florida, we were very glad that we did after Wilma tore us up. No apocolyptic damage, but no power or phone lines for almost two weeks in our neighborhood. I did not have a generator yet, but believe me I do now.

If a situation as portrayed in the movie The Road ever happens we are in real trouble. For those that saw the movie or read the book, remember the underground shelter stocked full of food and water the boy and his father found? Whoever build the shelter and stocked it, it didnt do them much good. As many have said, staying healthy and knowing how to survive if needed will prevail. Once that type of situation happens, it is too late to learn.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • bruchibruchi Senior Member Posts: 2,582 Senior Member
    Hurricane alley here so we keep about 2 weeks worth of basic needs. Every few months we use the JIC stuff and renew it, got plenty of tools, guns and ammo and the know how to use them for bigger emergencies.

It is a big planet out there with a lot of resources spread out and when serious calamities hit one part of the world help comes along from the rest, that or there is a place where to run to and regroup, for a real EOTWAWKI scenario that will erase all the infrastructure on a global level and leave every one to it's own it would have to be something HUGE, glacial age HUGE, there was rationing while WWII but folks went to work, to school, to the movies even, they got fed and survived, all's possible, getting hit by a truck tomorrow included and all the hoarding is not gonna help you there, looking in all directions before crossing the street will do more for you in that situation!

If it gets to a situation like that it is going to be first about being on the side of the fence that survives and long term, no one wants to survive short term, it is going to be more about resilience, adapting, making do with what is at hand and sharing skills than hoarding decades worth of stuff you are going to have to either share, there goes the hoarding part out of the window, defend at all costs or keep very well hidden and become some sort of hermit in your self made prison.

Cavemen had it a lot worst at every level, they had no iphones! Hoarding was not even in their limited vocabulary but they came out of their caves and from there created present civilization.
    If this post is non welcomed, I can always give you a recipe for making "tostones".
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,967 Senior Member
    :popcorn:
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • Big BatteryBig Battery Member Posts: 203 Member
    Rent the movie "The Road". All misconceptions will be addressed.
    WARLORD, dagnabit, Warlord. Get my title right or off with your head! :tooth:

Cool, I'll be a Minion!

minion.png
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • QuinianQuinian Senior Member Posts: 707 Senior Member
    Meh I've watched the prepper show and lets assume for a second something truely world wide kill everyone on the planet happens. 1. Are you staying where you are? if not you can't carry all that, if you are someone is going to come kill you for it. and 2. if it really is THAT bad then having 2 years worth of goods only delays the enevitable. You will die when all your stores are depleted if it's truly that bad.

In my case, considering the above comments, I'm prepped for your average issues. Weather, stupid people, inflation/shortage. 2 months or so. If it hasn't cleared up by then, I'm either already dead or getting out of dodge
    Perhaps the Earth will be destroyed by a Vogon constructor fleet.......
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,101 Senior Member
    I was thinking of giving you Canada to play with!

Remember: I just want Florida.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • mkk41mkk41 Banned Posts: 1,932 Senior Member
    Remember Charleton Heston in The Omega Man?

Bug out? Not me! Where ya gonna go anyway. Roads will be crowded with vehicles out of gas full of sheeple with no direction. Gold? What are ya gonna do? Chip off a few grains or grams to pay for , , , what???

Those doomsday preppers are equally ridiculous.

If it all does go to hell , I have a block structure on high ground , over 2 acre fresh water pond. Lots of critters. I'll live till I die. Either fighting , disease or starvation. Actually hope I go quick and get it over with. Just surviving day to day without the comforts and pleasures that make waking up worth it? No thanks! That kinda life ain't gonna be worth living anyway.

Alpha Mike Foxtrot!
    "There are no victims , only volunteers!"
    I was thinking of giving you Canada to play with!

That will be easy. Their Gov has them mostly unarmed already....:silly:
    samzhere wrote: »
    No doomsday will occur. Period. Doomsday will not happen.

Yes it 100% will happen. Whether it will happens tomorrow or 10,000 years from now..... ???