Dooms Day Prepared???

Replies

• samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    True, alpha, but the bottom line is this -- taking inane and overwrought measures in case something totally off the shelf occurs is not a reasonable thing to do.

It's easy to "expect the unexpected" but should we expect an space alien invasion or zombie attack and plan "just in case"? Nope.

Regarding 9/11, the specific event wasn't predicted but terrorist attacks were expected. Unfortunately, signs were missed or ignored, just like Pearl Harbor. However the general atmosphere of terrorism was a fact, just not taken seriously enough.

And yes you can multiply but when you multiply anything by zero, you still get zero. If it's near zero, such as 1x10-34 (space alien attack, maybe) then the chance of it happening is still near zero, at least close enough to zero as to not bother.

Example: We assume it's reasonable to have auto insurance. But paying for a special insurance rider in case a meteorite hits your car is silly. And that's where I put "doomsday" preparation (genuine "doomsday", not a hurricane, say).

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
    DoctorWho wrote: »
    Finding out that you have run out of toilet paper is a good example of lack of preparation, buying 10 years worth is silly, prepare within reason for contingencies without becoming an insane obsessed / compulsive lunatic.

I just bought a 4-pack today while getting my regular groceries but I've already got 2 rolls in the cabinet. Is that okay? I hope so.

(funny example, Doc! thanks)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,651 Senior Member
    Blitsch wrote: »
    First how many of you buy into that dooms day is around the corner?

What exactly is dooms day?
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
  • Big BatteryBig Battery Member Posts: 203 Member
    It is reasonable to prepare for a US monetary collapse.
    It is reasonable to prepare for a US monetary collapse.

If you mean hyperinflation, such as occurred in postwar Japan or Germany, I can't see how that would occur except some enormous disaster, which we've already discussed.

But assuming so, how does one prepare? Buy gold? But if the economy collapses, whom would you give the gold to? The local Kroger? The farmer down the road? What are they gonna do with gold? As Jack Nicholson said, you can't drink it and you can't take a bath in it.

A total monetary collapse (hyperinflation) could occur follwing a nuclear war, I guess. If it does, we'll be in deep trouble anyway. And those still on their feet would need to resort to the barter system, trading goods for services (I'll give you a bushel of potatoes if you'll clear that brushpile). And all labor would quickly draw down to manual or animal powered after the gasoline stocks get used up (in a collapsed economy, refineries won't operate because the workers won't get paid, nor will there be tanker trucks delivering). Unless of course you have your own refinery like in Road Warrior.

But I'm curious. How would you advise on preparing for the economy to collapse? What should everyday people do?

• DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    Buford wrote: »
    What exactly is dooms day?

That is the day you find out both your favorite beer and snack food have been discontinued due to apathy and entropy.

Or that nobody has veal cutlets in your area.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 1,951 Senior Member
    samzhere wrote: »
    If you mean hyperinflation, such as occurred in postwar Japan or Germany, I can't see how that would occur except some enormous disaster, which we've already discussed.

But assuming so, how does one prepare? Buy gold? But if the economy collapses, whom would you give the gold to? The local Kroger? The farmer down the road? What are they gonna do with gold? As Jack Nicholson said, you can't drink it and you can't take a bath in it.

A total monetary collapse (hyperinflation) could occur follwing a nuclear war, I guess. If it does, we'll be in deep trouble anyway. And those still on their feet would need to resort to the barter system, trading goods for services (I'll give you a bushel of potatoes if you'll clear that brushpile). And all labor would quickly draw down to manual or animal powered after the gasoline stocks get used up (in a collapsed economy, refineries won't operate because the workers won't get paid, nor will there be tanker trucks delivering). Unless of course you have your own refinery like in Road Warrior.

But I'm curious. How would you advise on preparing for the economy to collapse? What should everyday people do?

I have followed this thread from the beginning and I have to agree with you Sam...............

Natalie Portman is cute.
    :win:
    Beware of false knowledge -- it is often more dangerous than ignorance.
    Spk wrote: »
    I have followed this thread from the beginning and I have to agree with you Sam...............

Natalie Portman is cute.
    :win:

She's my current fave among all celebs or movie stars, whomever. And she's smart as hell, too. Top scholarship honors, edited "The Case for Israel" by Dershowitz.

I will admit to being swayed by Christina Ricci in the film "After.Life", her being astoundingly gorgeous and starkers in much of the movie.

• Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,980 Senior Member
    Well, being on Beta Blockers and Mrs Chief taking two kinds of insulin, long range survival is outta the question, 60-90 days max with what we have on hand fer Meds and then the clock will wind down fer us both. So, I have no long range plans and big/elaborate set-ups and probably wouldn't anyhow even with no medical needs. I think most of the plans are a waste of time and money and will just prolong the inevitable, that's all.

Anything beyond surviving a natural disaster for a few days or couple of weeks just seems absurd to me. Eventually your supplies will run out and your luck holding off bands of looters will too. don't get me wrong, I'll put some hot lead into anyone that tries to take what little I have on hand.

Now if the scenario calls fer a GOVT gone bad the whole Marshal Law thing, you are just kidding yourself if you think you can defeat all the technology they have available unless you are way out in the wilderness in a cave and then they can still find you eventually if they want to employ all their resources.

Not a defeatist attitude, just a reality check. Sure we can all go down as Patriots fighting for lost freedoms and against tyranny, but I won't lose any sleep worrying about very many "What Ifs" and try to remain on the practical side.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
    More info on astronomical bad things... Heard a radio program mention the "Carrington Event". Looked it up on Wiki. Apparenty in 1859, an enormous solar flare occurred, a "coronal mass ejection" (CME) that reached Earth faster than most other flare radiation.

The pulse interrupted telegraph communications all over the world, the energy even physically shocking some telegraph operators.

The Wiki story says that events of this magnitude occur about every 500 years. That may be true. The late-night radio guest said solar astronomers are worried that another big CME however will hit in 10 years, chances being about 10%.

If these revised odds are true and not BS (like in Amazon Women on the Moon), a big CME could certainly knock out the power and communication grid for days, even weeks. It wouldn't be an apocalypse, because there are plenty of harder sites and military communications that have already been "hardened" against EMF attack by enemies, so there would be chaos for a while but things would be fixed eventually. Probably not a lot of serious damage, just mass confusion and shouting out.

Not a pleasant scenario, however. Even if there were no uprest, the cost of recovery would be enormous.

These are the sort of "sensible" emergencies which I think are proper to prep for... adequate canned food, bottled water, other necessities for at least a week of independence. And, of course, guns and ammo.

Big Chief, you and I are pretty much on the same page here. Most of us have had the common sense to prep for temporary emergencies (flood, tornado, quake, whatever) and this would also see us through a modest-size crisis from, say, a low-level nuclear terrorist attack (unless of course we were ground zero) and the resulting chaos.

Things would be restored to a reasonable status within a certain time. Obama notwithstanding, fears of people like Oliver Stone that the entire government is some evil conspiracy are bunk. National Guard are people too, our neighbors. So are regular troops at various bases. So are LEOs of every level. They're just like us. And in a major crisis, they'll be there helping with rescues, food, traffic control, whatever. Sure, there may be chaos for a while and lots of casualties, but barring a planet-killing event like in the movie "Knowing", there is NO sleeping giant snarling government lurking in the dark, waiting to strike. Sorry, Jesse Ventura, have fun in Mexico.

And you're not a defeatist at all! You're a realist and see things as they really are. We don't have time to piddle around and wring our hands about impending major doom events. Meh.

• SlanteyedshootistSlanteyedshootist Senior Member Posts: 3,947 Senior Member
    Sam, are you trying to tell us that Jesse Ventura doesn't know what he's talking about? Next thing you know you'll be saying that professional wrestling is fake.:tooth:
    The answer to 1984 is 1776
    Those DoomsDay preppers on TV remind me of something Aunty Entity (Tina Turner -- MadMaxx: Beyond ThunderDome) says to Maxx during his interview:

"But how the world turns...

You know who I was?

Nobody.

Except on the day after,

I was still alive.

This nobody had a chance to become somebody.

So much for history"

They spend so much time and effort dreaming and planning their future lives in a brave new world that they're missing out on the lives they have going on right now.

Being prepared and DoomsDay prepping are two different animals!

JMHO
  • alphasigmookiealphasigmookie Senior Member Posts: 8,584 Senior Member
    Spk wrote: »
    They spend so much time and effort dreaming and planning their future lives in a brave new world that they're missing out on the lives they have going on right now.

Being prepared and DoomsDay prepping are two different animals!

JMHO

It depends though. People find meaning in their lives in all sorts of ways. Finding a niche, even a slightly crazy one and becoming very good at it and respected and/or revered within your community can be an extremely satisfying thing even if that thing is completely "worthless" outside of your small community. Things like Trekkies who speak Klingon or people who are at the top of the COD ladder or play World of Warcraft come to mind, armature radio, RC aircrafts, golf, etc. Just about any hobby could be classified as meaningless and a waste of time to those who don't enjoy it. Prepping for many of these people has become an obsession, but probably no more of an obsession than guns are to a lot of us. It's what they enjoy so I don't see the harm in it. Why should we treat their form of escapism any different than any other "acceptable" kind?
    "Finding out that you have run out of toilet paper is a good example of lack of preparation, buying 10 years worth is silly"
    -DoctorWho
    Sam, are you trying to tell us that Jesse Ventura doesn't know what he's talking about? Next thing you know you'll be saying that professional wrestling is fake.:tooth:

A bit of thread drift: Dad used to watch pro wrestling (Gorgeous George, etc) and laughed himself silly. I got into the habit of it, too, and occasionally tune in while I'm online or reading, just as background noise. I can only take it about once every couple months for maybe an hour. Same old thing, same kayfabe, same rehearsed moves, some telegraphed far too much. A trend I've noticed in the past few years, much more faked throws and falls, lots easier to spot the cushioning and cooperation. Maybe the wrestlers have eased up a little, fewer genuine injuries in what is already a tough "entertainment" venue. These guys work hard for their bucks but of late the faking is more obvious.

But in fact, pro wrasslin' is real! We all know that, even alphasig (ha ha)

It depends though. People find meaning in their lives in all sorts of ways. etc etc

Agreed. But it's sad to see people wasting too much real money or energy on fantasy, and deceiving themselves that it's really "gonna happen". Look at the thousands of dollars wasted on those idiotic billboards and ads for the Harold Camping church "end times" campaign last year, and calling themselves Christian, how many sick and poor kids could have been helped otherwise.

As to these folks who put real money into hidey-holes? Barnum was right: A sucker born every minute.

It depends though. People find meaning in their lives in all sorts of ways. Finding a niche, even a slightly crazy one and becoming very good at it and respected and/or revered within your community can be an extremely satisfying thing even if that thing is completely "worthless" outside of your small community. Things like Trekkies who speak Klingon or people who are at the top of the COD ladder or play World of Warcraft come to mind, armature radio, RC aircrafts, golf, etc. Just about any hobby could be classified as meaningless and a waste of time to those who don't enjoy it. Prepping for many of these people has become an obsession, but probably no more of an obsession than guns are to a lot of us. It's what they enjoy so I don't see the harm in it. Why should we treat their form of escapism any different than any other "acceptable" kind?

I suppose you meant "Amateur Radio" which is neither meaningless or a waste of time, Amateurs aid in times of disaster relief efforts, on their own dime, providing emergency communications networks when other means of communications are down, many Amateurs are also EMTs and have many diverse skills they use to help people in distress.

Amateurs are licensed by the FCC and have individual issued call signs.
    Check out the AARL to find out more.

www.arrl.org
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • alphasigmookiealphasigmookie Senior Member Posts: 8,584 Senior Member
    I suppose you meant "Amateur Radio" which is neither meaningless or a waste of time, Amateurs aid in times of disaster providing emergency communications networks when other means are down, Amateurs are licensed by the FCC.
    Check out the AARL to find out more.

www.arrl.org

Yeah typing on the phone, spell check isn't the best.

My point is that most people have hobbies that they enjoy and spent a lot of time and money at and almost universally there are people who don't share their hobby that think their hobby is dumb and a waste of time. I say do what you like and don't hate on others for doing what they like.

PS People are also really good at rationalizing their own hobbies and why it's not really a waste of time. That's unnecessary too. I don't have to say I need to go to the range bc I need to keep my skills up in case I have to fend off a home invasion. I can just say I want to go to the range because I like it and it's fun and relaxing. I also don't need my tricked out AR to fend off Zombies, it's just really fun to shoot :cool2:
    "Finding out that you have run out of toilet paper is a good example of lack of preparation, buying 10 years worth is silly"
    -DoctorWho
  • RFultonRFulton New Member Posts: 3 New Member
    Doomsday? Nah. I think prepping for something so massive as Doomsday (whatever your particular "doomsday" would entail) is a little much. I'm with the people who say to have a few weeks of food and provisions, guns, ammo, a generator, what have ya - to get through a disaster, since they do happen. Even around here, where massive tornadoes are not nearly so common, we had bad storms and twisters not far south in Kentucky just a few weeks ago. So the weather/disaster prep is just being prudent, IMHO. But building whole Doomsday Bunkers to sustain 3 times the number of people in your family for years because you think everyone will go crazy or the government is going to declare national martial law for an extended period of time AND exercise imminent domain on EVERYTHING? Not so much. lol.
    It depends though. People find meaning in their lives in all sorts of ways. Finding a niche, even a slightly crazy one and becoming very good at it and respected and/or revered within your community can be an extremely satisfying thing even if that thing is completely "worthless" outside of your small community. Things like Trekkies who speak Klingon or people who are at the top of the COD ladder or play World of Warcraft come to mind, armature radio, RC aircrafts, golf, etc. Just about any hobby could be classified as meaningless and a waste of time to those who don't enjoy it.

I agree with you so far about how hobbies could be considered worthless wastes of time, afterall, one of my past-times is this forum. Another is armature (Amateur) radio -- kd6zur.
    Prepping for many of these people has become an obsession, but probably no more of an obsession than guns are to a lot of us. It's what they enjoy so I don't see the harm in it. Why should we treat their form of escapism any different than any other "acceptable" kind?

I'm no expert in the subject but there seems to be a wide margin between harmless hobby and obsession.

Having said that, I watched a program called DoomsDay Bunkers on the Discovery channel where this one guy spent 50k on a bunker, (my guess is that he didn't have 50k to spend in the first place) and it got flooded on the first big rainstorm that came by. He was now the not-so-proud owner of a 50k septic tank, it was pretty sad.

In my mind, his hobby definitely crossed the line into obsession, I don't remember him saying he would rebuild and that's why I don't think he had the liquidity to pursue his "hobby" in the first place.

Protecting ones family from a financial doomsday should be considered just as important as a physical one.

Like I said before, being prepared and Doomsday Prepping are two different animals.

jmho
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 14,834 Senior Member
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    BUT I also don't go on TV and try to convince folks that having enough wax covered cheese to feed 20 folks for 30 years is a great idea and expect ANYONE to take me seriously. When you do that you HAVE TO know you are about to become someones punch line... :tooth:

You seem to have a particular issue with the rather rotund galloping doomsday gourmet....:jester: Be careful...she's armed and stands ready to waste anyone trying to steal her chow... In truth...there is some serious silliness going on with this show....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    BUT I also don't go on TV and try to convince folks that having enough wax covered cheese to feed 20 folks for 30 years

What do you have against cheese? Are you one of those anti-cheesers? There oughta be a law...

I'm having trouble deciding which preppers I hate worst....the folks in New England who see no need to protect themselves or the hippies living in the missile silo over on the North end of my County.....I do know that after a few days of being subjected to the communal drumming and bad blues singing, I'd be ready to kill somebody...probably wouldn't be a good idea to hand me the "talking stick"....
  • cappy54cappy54 Member Posts: 269 Member
    Here we go again, after having lived through hurricane Andrew i'll never be cought with my pants down again, no food water and looters to deal with. i live in hurricane alley always prepared.
    There are useless hobbies and there are useful ones, collecting William Shatner life size dolls is a pointless and useless hobby, canning veggies is useful, I can see how coin & stamp collecting could be interesting, but some hobbies can actually save lives, Engaging in the practice of the shooting sports can help one to cultivate skills that can eventually be used to save lives.

Amateur radio has saved countless lives, My little pony has not.

It has nothing to do with rationalizing a hobby, either it is either a useful hobby or it is not, speaking Klingon or collecting or building toy phasers are fun but useless pass-times.
    T speaking Klingon

Dude! Being fluent in Klingon or Elvish can prevent the bad guys from knowing what you're talking about....unless the are either Trekkies or Tolkien fans as well - then you are in seriously deep do-do...
    While on the ham radio talking with Bill Shatner about life size dolls, I also amused myself by shooting my phaser at all the coins and stamps I'd collected. My little pony rushed in, warned me in Klingon that I was in danger and saved my life. In appreciation I opened up a bunch of food that I had canned and let him eat it.
  • KSU FirefighterKSU Firefighter Senior Member Posts: 3,245 Senior Member
    While on the ham radio talking with Bill Shatner about life size dolls, I also amused myself by shooting my phaser at all the coins and stamps I'd collected. My little pony rushed in, warned me in Klingon that I was in danger and saved my life. In appreciation I opened up a bunch of food that I had canned and let him eat it.

Then you did your happy dance..... right?
    The fire service needs a "culture of extinguishment not safety" Ray McCormack FDNY
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,701 Senior Member
    Doomsday.............DOOMSDAY!!!!!

I am just trying to survive Tax Day............
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
    Then you did your happy dance..... right?

Yep, I did it in my flooded armored abandoned missle silo. But people say my happy dance is kinda cheesy.