Home Main Category Personal Defense

Dooms Day Prepared???

124»

Replies

• samzheresamzhere Banned HoustonPosts: 10,923 Senior Member
    Big Chief, you and I are pretty much on the same page here. Most of us have had the common sense to prep for temporary emergencies (flood, tornado, quake, whatever) and this would also see us through a modest-size crisis from, say, a low-level nuclear terrorist attack (unless of course we were ground zero) and the resulting chaos.

Things would be restored to a reasonable status within a certain time. Obama notwithstanding, fears of people like Oliver Stone that the entire government is some evil conspiracy are bunk. National Guard are people too, our neighbors. So are regular troops at various bases. So are LEOs of every level. They're just like us. And in a major crisis, they'll be there helping with rescues, food, traffic control, whatever. Sure, there may be chaos for a while and lots of casualties, but barring a planet-killing event like in the movie "Knowing", there is NO sleeping giant snarling government lurking in the dark, waiting to strike. Sorry, Jesse Ventura, have fun in Mexico.

And you're not a defeatist at all! You're a realist and see things as they really are. We don't have time to piddle around and wring our hands about impending major doom events. Meh.
  • SlanteyedshootistSlanteyedshootist Senior Member Corvallis, OregonPosts: 3,947 Senior Member
    Sam, are you trying to tell us that Jesse Ventura doesn't know what he's talking about? Next thing you know you'll be saying that professional wrestling is fake.:tooth:
    The answer to 1984 is 1776
  • SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 4,772 Senior Member
    Those DoomsDay preppers on TV remind me of something Aunty Entity (Tina Turner -- MadMaxx: Beyond ThunderDome) says to Maxx during his interview:

"But how the world turns...

You know who I was?

Nobody.

Except on the day after,

I was still alive.

This nobody had a chance to become somebody.

So much for history"

They spend so much time and effort dreaming and planning their future lives in a brave new world that they're missing out on the lives they have going on right now.

Being prepared and DoomsDay prepping are two different animals!

JMHO
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

Sam, are you trying to tell us that Jesse Ventura doesn't know what he's talking about? Next thing you know you'll be saying that professional wrestling is fake.:tooth:

A bit of thread drift: Dad used to watch pro wrestling (Gorgeous George, etc) and laughed himself silly. I got into the habit of it, too, and occasionally tune in while I'm online or reading, just as background noise. I can only take it about once every couple months for maybe an hour. Same old thing, same kayfabe, same rehearsed moves, some telegraphed far too much. A trend I've noticed in the past few years, much more faked throws and falls, lots easier to spot the cushioning and cooperation. Maybe the wrestlers have eased up a little, fewer genuine injuries in what is already a tough "entertainment" venue. These guys work hard for their bucks but of late the faking is more obvious.

But in fact, pro wrasslin' is real! We all know that, even alphasig (ha ha)
    It depends though. People find meaning in their lives in all sorts of ways. etc etc

Agreed. But it's sad to see people wasting too much real money or energy on fantasy, and deceiving themselves that it's really "gonna happen". Look at the thousands of dollars wasted on those idiotic billboards and ads for the Harold Camping church "end times" campaign last year, and calling themselves Christian, how many sick and poor kids could have been helped otherwise.

As to these folks who put real money into hidey-holes? Barnum was right: A sucker born every minute.
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    It depends though. People find meaning in their lives in all sorts of ways. Finding a niche, even a slightly crazy one and becoming very good at it and respected and/or revered within your community can be an extremely satisfying thing even if that thing is completely "worthless" outside of your small community. Things like Trekkies who speak Klingon or people who are at the top of the COD ladder or play World of Warcraft come to mind, armature radio, RC aircrafts, golf, etc. Just about any hobby could be classified as meaningless and a waste of time to those who don't enjoy it. Prepping for many of these people has become an obsession, but probably no more of an obsession than guns are to a lot of us. It's what they enjoy so I don't see the harm in it. Why should we treat their form of escapism any different than any other "acceptable" kind?

I suppose you meant "Amateur Radio" which is neither meaningless or a waste of time, Amateurs aid in times of disaster relief efforts, on their own dime, providing emergency communications networks when other means of communications are down, many Amateurs are also EMTs and have many diverse skills they use to help people in distress.

Amateurs are licensed by the FCC and have individual issued call signs.
    Check out the AARL to find out more.

www.arrl.org
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • RFultonRFulton New Member Southeast OhioPosts: 3 New Member
    Doomsday? Nah. I think prepping for something so massive as Doomsday (whatever your particular "doomsday" would entail) is a little much. I'm with the people who say to have a few weeks of food and provisions, guns, ammo, a generator, what have ya - to get through a disaster, since they do happen. Even around here, where massive tornadoes are not nearly so common, we had bad storms and twisters not far south in Kentucky just a few weeks ago. So the weather/disaster prep is just being prudent, IMHO. But building whole Doomsday Bunkers to sustain 3 times the number of people in your family for years because you think everyone will go crazy or the government is going to declare national martial law for an extended period of time AND exercise imminent domain on EVERYTHING? Not so much. lol.
    It depends though. People find meaning in their lives in all sorts of ways. Finding a niche, even a slightly crazy one and becoming very good at it and respected and/or revered within your community can be an extremely satisfying thing even if that thing is completely "worthless" outside of your small community. Things like Trekkies who speak Klingon or people who are at the top of the COD ladder or play World of Warcraft come to mind, armature radio, RC aircrafts, golf, etc. Just about any hobby could be classified as meaningless and a waste of time to those who don't enjoy it.

I agree with you so far about how hobbies could be considered worthless wastes of time, afterall, one of my past-times is this forum. Another is armature (Amateur) radio -- kd6zur.
    Prepping for many of these people has become an obsession, but probably no more of an obsession than guns are to a lot of us. It's what they enjoy so I don't see the harm in it. Why should we treat their form of escapism any different than any other "acceptable" kind?

I'm no expert in the subject but there seems to be a wide margin between harmless hobby and obsession.

Having said that, I watched a program called DoomsDay Bunkers on the Discovery channel where this one guy spent 50k on a bunker, (my guess is that he didn't have 50k to spend in the first place) and it got flooded on the first big rainstorm that came by. He was now the not-so-proud owner of a 50k septic tank, it was pretty sad.

In my mind, his hobby definitely crossed the line into obsession, I don't remember him saying he would rebuild and that's why I don't think he had the liquidity to pursue his "hobby" in the first place.

Protecting ones family from a financial doomsday should be considered just as important as a physical one.

Like I said before, being prepared and Doomsday Prepping are two different animals.

jmho
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

• JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Manistee Natl ForestPosts: 18,292 Senior Member
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    BUT I also don't go on TV and try to convince folks that having enough wax covered cheese to feed 20 folks for 30 years is a great idea and expect ANYONE to take me seriously. When you do that you HAVE TO know you are about to become someones punch line... :tooth:

You seem to have a particular issue with the rather rotund galloping doomsday gourmet....:jester: Be careful...she's armed and stands ready to waste anyone trying to steal her chow... In truth...there is some serious silliness going on with this show....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    BUT I also don't go on TV and try to convince folks that having enough wax covered cheese to feed 20 folks for 30 years

What do you have against cheese? Are you one of those anti-cheesers? There oughta be a law...
    I'm having trouble deciding which preppers I hate worst....the folks in New England who see no need to protect themselves or the hippies living in the missile silo over on the North end of my County.....I do know that after a few days of being subjected to the communal drumming and bad blues singing, I'd be ready to kill somebody...probably wouldn't be a good idea to hand me the "talking stick"....
  • cappy54cappy54 Member miami, floridaPosts: 269 Member
    Here we go again, after having lived through hurricane Andrew i'll never be cought with my pants down again, no food water and looters to deal with. i live in hurricane alley always prepared.
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    There are useless hobbies and there are useful ones, collecting William Shatner life size dolls is a pointless and useless hobby, canning veggies is useful, I can see how coin & stamp collecting could be interesting, but some hobbies can actually save lives, Engaging in the practice of the shooting sports can help one to cultivate skills that can eventually be used to save lives.

Amateur radio has saved countless lives, My little pony has not.

It has nothing to do with rationalizing a hobby, either it is either a useful hobby or it is not, speaking Klingon or collecting or building toy phasers are fun but useless pass-times.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
    DoctorWho wrote: »
    T speaking Klingon

Dude! Being fluent in Klingon or Elvish can prevent the bad guys from knowing what you're talking about....unless the are either Trekkies or Tolkien fans as well - then you are in seriously deep do-do...
  • SlanteyedshootistSlanteyedshootist Senior Member Corvallis, OregonPosts: 3,947 Senior Member
    While on the ham radio talking with Bill Shatner about life size dolls, I also amused myself by shooting my phaser at all the coins and stamps I'd collected. My little pony rushed in, warned me in Klingon that I was in danger and saved my life. In appreciation I opened up a bunch of food that I had canned and let him eat it.
  • KSU FirefighterKSU Firefighter Senior Member Posts: 3,249 Senior Member
    While on the ham radio talking with Bill Shatner about life size dolls, I also amused myself by shooting my phaser at all the coins and stamps I'd collected. My little pony rushed in, warned me in Klingon that I was in danger and saved my life. In appreciation I opened up a bunch of food that I had canned and let him eat it.

Then you did your happy dance..... right?
    The fire service needs a "culture of extinguishment not safety" Ray McCormack FDNY
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member A true 'Southerner'. NZPosts: 8,403 Senior Member
    Doomsday.............DOOMSDAY!!!!!

I am just trying to survive Tax Day............
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
    Then you did your happy dance..... right?

Yep, I did it in my flooded armored abandoned missle silo. But people say my happy dance is kinda cheesy.
  • sherwoodsherwood Senior Member Over taxed in Liberal MarylandPosts: 1,222 Senior Member
    We have enough food for 2 weeks. The genny is ready to go. The guns will be loaded and spread throughout the house. People like the guy next door with his 5 pitbulls and 2 other dogs will be hating life. He won't get anything from me.
    I may be old but I ain't dead!
    DPRMD
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Under a logPosts: 27,457 Senior Member
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    I'm having trouble deciding which preppers I hate worst....the folks in New England who see no need to protect themselves or the hippies living in the missile silo over on the North end of my County.....I do know that after a few days of being subjected to the communal drumming and bad blues singing, I'd be ready to kill somebody...probably wouldn't be a good idea to hand me the "talking stick"....

Find their fresh air intake. Puree one 5 lb. box of squid in blender. Pour this down the fresh air intake. They will leave in a few days. For faster evacuation, also add three 1 oz. bottles of skunk cover scent to puree as you pour it down the intake. EZPZ :tooth:
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Central MNPosts: 14,673 Senior Member
    tennmike wrote: »
    Find their fresh air intake. Puree one 5 lb. box of squid in blender. Pour this down the fresh air intake. They will leave in a few days. For faster evacuation, also add three 1 oz. bottles of skunk cover scent to puree as you pour it down the intake. EZPZ :tooth:

Note to self: Add bottle of skunk scent to stash, thanks Mike.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • KSU FirefighterKSU Firefighter Senior Member Posts: 3,249 Senior Member
    CHIRO1989 wrote: »
    Note to self: Add bottle of skunk scentand a second blender to stash, thanks Mike.

There, I fixed it for you.
    The fire service needs a "culture of extinguishment not safety" Ray McCormack FDNY
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Under a logPosts: 27,457 Senior Member
    There, I fixed it for you.

:rotflmao: Good idea! Frozen bait shrimp work good, too. And frozen bait sardines.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • SirGeorgeKillianSirGeorgeKillian Senior Member Sovereign SCPosts: 5,463 Senior Member
    SicSemper wrote: »
    What the hell is wrong wiht you people; you are complete idiots. Pick up a history book and lookup doomday.

Guess I am too much of an idiot to own a history book. Why don't you enlighten us with your vast knowledge of "doomday?"
    Unless life also hands you water and sugar, your lemonade is gonna suck!
    I'm in love with a Glock
    Guess I am too much of an idiot to own a history book. Why don't you enlighten us with your vast knowledge of "doomday?"

There's the problem, he picked up a history book when he needed a dictionary.