Home Main Category Hunting

Its almost time gents

MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior MemberDenver, COPosts: 4,996 Senior Member
We have just a few weeks left until tag applications are due!

Am I still under the assumption we are all agreeing on 2nd season, in unit 54? If so, and you are wanting to put in for just the cow tag, you can go here:

http://wildlife.state.co.us/ShopDOW/AppsAndLicenses/Pages/totallicensing.aspx

Click on Buy & Apply, then go to the bottom of the page that pops up and hit start now. You out of state guys will most likely be "new customers", so just follow the instructions. Any out of state guys that previously have hunted CO in the last several years, your info is probably still in there, and usually a drivers lic# will get you all pulled up.

Yes, there ARE those limited either sex tags that will be sold in July. But remember, an either sex tag means you could possibly shoot a bull, so you ARE going to pay for the bull price which is 576$. If you get that either sex tag and shoot a cow, you still paid 576$. Now, if you just want to put in for the cow tag (which is a much higher possibility of shooting) it will cost you 354$. In this unit, and this season, that cow only tag through the draw, is considered a B license, which CAN be treated as a second, extra tag. The either sex tag, is an A category license which you may have only one of. I know a few of you guys were thinking about getting both tags, just in case. You are looking at nearly 1000$ in fee's, but only the 354$ will be due in a few weeks.

So if you think you want to play the odds and get BOTH tags, you still need to apply for the limited draw cow tag by April 4th.

If you are applying for that limited draw cow tag, you need to use the following hunt code when filling out the online info

E-F-054-O2-R

This stands for Elk (E) female (F) unit 054 (zero 5 4) 2nd season (that is an O not a zero, so O2) and rifle (R)

For those that will be going for that either sex, you'll be doing it over the phone most likely so you won't have to worry about the code too much. But if you would like to do it online, there is another separate hunt code, we can go over that later when its closer to July for that one.

You will also need to buy a Habitat Stamp, and you can do that from the same start page where you clicked Buy & Apply.

If you have any questions, or have any trouble navigating around the CPW page, please let me or Jerry know and we'll give you a hand. But the link I put up above takes you straight to where you need to go, so that way you don't have to try and navigate around several pages to get to the right spot.

Replies

• shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Global NomadPosts: 6,071 Senior Member
    I just got my training dates, and I start in October. Looks like I'm going to have to sit this one out :tissue:
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Denver, COPosts: 4,996 Senior Member
    Bummer dude! But don't forget, the invitation to come out and hunt elk is a standing one. It won't be this year, but we can figure something out before too long I imagine.
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member In the sticks, OHPosts: 5,617 Senior Member
    Are either of you guys putting in for the cow tag, as in, will there be a party code?
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Denver, COPosts: 4,996 Senior Member
    I have honestly never done the party thing. However, I'm the only one with points, and I'm not using them on basically a "gimme" tag. Saving up for a RFW tag in prime area. I'm going for the either sex tag, as I will probably do a late season December hunt in 54 for cow only. I'm putting in for a point for deer and elk this year only. Trying for an antegoat tag, but I have to see if I can get access somewhere first.
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 4,753 Senior Member
    I have honestly never done the party thing. However, I'm the only one with points, and I'm not using them on basically a "gimme" tag. Saving up for a RFW tag in prime area. I'm going for the either sex tag, as I will probably do a late season December hunt in 54 for cow only. I'm putting in for a point for deer and elk this year only. Trying for an antegoat tag, but I have to see if I can get access somewhere first.

Found out today that my hospital will be implementing a new computerized charting system with a go live date in October. They have basicly told us no vacations between August and November while we learn and impement the new system. so I am pretty well out of the running fro the group hunt. What are the dates for the Dec season just in case I can make that work.

Sako
    I'm not trying to ride in on your points Dan. I probably won't go with a cow tag any way. I was just thinking that if you/we did a party tag, nobody gets left out. That way, everyone either draws, or they don't.

If there is an everyone! Seems like it might just be Snake and I!
    Haha I have no worries about people being able to get a tag. The either sex is a good deal, unless you shoot a cow, then you paid 2x as much for the tag. It is up to you guys, for me its the same price either way.

Sako that sucks man. I'll double check on that late season cow hunt today. Its also in 54, but only in like half of the unit, a cow reduction hunt.
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Podunk, Tx.Posts: 8,227 Senior Member
    jbohio wrote: »
    Are either of you guys putting in for the cow tag, as in, will there be a party code?

JB, check with Chiro. He called the DOW and was told that if he drew a cow tag, and was also able to get an either sex tag in July, he could turn the cow tag in and get a refund. To be sure, though, call the DOW.

It may also be possible to get an either sex tag and turn it in for a refund or an OTC tag later. I plan to check with the DOW regarding that. Depending on what we decide, I may hold off on applying for a gmu 54 tag and just plan a hunt in 521, which has OTC bull tags. If I do that, then we can have two camps and those who miss out on getting a GMU 54 tag can hunt with me in an area I know.

One of my concerns is that some of us will get a gmu 54 cow or either-sex tag, and others won't. I think we need a plan B for that possibility.

I'm probably over thinking this, but you never know.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member

Am I still under the assumption we are all agreeing on 2nd season, in unit 54? If so, and you are wanting to put in for just the cow tag, you can go here:

Click on Buy & Apply, then go to the bottom of the page that pops up and hit start now. You out of state guys will most likely be "new customers", so just follow the instructions. Any out of state guys that previously have hunted CO in the last several years, your info is probably still in there, and usually a drivers lic# will get you all pulled up.

Yes, there ARE those limited either sex tags that will be sold in July. But remember, an either sex tag means you could possibly shoot a bull, so you ARE going to pay for the bull price which is 576$. If you get that either sex tag and shoot a cow, you still paid 576$. Now, if you just want to put in for the cow tag (which is a much higher possibility of shooting) it will cost you 354$. In this unit, and this season, that cow only tag through the draw, is considered a B license, which CAN be treated as a second, extra tag. The either sex tag, is an A category license which you may have only one of. I know a few of you guys were thinking about getting both tags, just in case. You are looking at nearly 1000$ in fee's, but only the 354$ will be due in a few weeks.

So if you think you want to play the odds and get BOTH tags, you still need to apply for the limited draw cow tag by April 4th.

If you are applying for that limited draw cow tag, you need to use the following hunt code when filling out the online info

E-F-054-O2-R

This stands for Elk (E) female (F) unit 054 (zero 5 4) 2nd season (that is an O not a zero, so O2) and rifle (R)

For those that will be going for that either sex, you'll be doing it over the phone most likely so you won't have to worry about the code too much. But if you would like to do it online, there is another separate hunt code, we can go over that later when its closer to July for that one.

You will also need to buy a Habitat Stamp, and you can do that from the same start page where you clicked Buy & Apply.

If you have any questions, or have any trouble navigating around the CPW page, please let me or Jerry know and we'll give you a hand. But the link I put up above takes you straight to where you need to go, so that way you don't have to try and navigate around several pages to get to the right spot.

$222 difference when we're going to be spending at least $1500 if we're lucky is chicken feed. And also, it takes some guess work out of the game and protects you from a mistake, like thinking you were shooting a cow, but when you walk up on it it suddenly grew horns, LOL!!! Don't laugh, oh never mind!!!

:rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao:
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    snake284 wrote: »
    $222 difference when we're going to be spending at least $1500 if we're lucky is chicken feed. And also, it takes some guess work out of the game and protects you from a mistake, like thinking you were shooting a cow, but when you walk up on it it suddenly grew horns, LOL!!! Don't laugh, oh never mind!!!

:rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao:

One thing to keep in mind, Snake, is that either-sex is not the same as any-elk. Bulls still have to meet the minimum point/horn length requirement. That requirement is that there must be at least 4 points on one side, or at least one of the brow times has to be at least 5 inches long.

You may want to double check with the DOW, but I'm 99% sure that this is correct.
    Jerry

Yes 4pts to one side. You can shoot a spike as a cow as long as its spikes are under 5"

Jerry I do like that plan, its a good back up. The list seems to be dwindling a bit, might be time again to put up another post getting some better ideas on numbers. I know Chiro is coming, and likely with a friend, he has been keeping in contact with me.
    JerryBobCo wrote: »
    JB, check with Chiro. He called the DOW and was told that if he drew a cow tag, and was also able to get an either sex tag in July, he could turn the cow tag in and get a refund. To be sure, though, call the DOW.

It may also be possible to get an either sex tag and turn it in for a refund or an OTC tag later. I plan to check with the DOW regarding that. Depending on what we decide, I may hold off on applying for a gmu 54 tag and just plan a hunt in 521, which has OTC bull tags. If I do that, then we can have two camps and those who miss out on getting a GMU 54 tag can hunt with me in an area I know.

One of my concerns is that some of us will get a gmu 54 cow or either-sex tag, and others won't. I think we need a plan B for that possibility.

I was thinking the same thing.....that's why I asked about the party draw option. If everyone who's in for a cow tag goes together and puts in for 54 and 521, then everyone is in the same boat.
    I sure do like the either sex OTC option, but I have serious doubts I'll be anywhere near a phone or computer on the morning of July 10. My job isn't conducive to long phone calls, we all still have dumb phones, and there's no way I'll be anywhere near a computer, unless it's pouring down rain.
    That being said, I still don't like the idea of a cow tag, I'm not sure I can bring myself to buy one.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Central MNPosts: 14,659 Senior Member
    JB, check with Chiro. He called the DOW and was told that if he drew a cow tag, and was also able to try to get an either sex tag in July, he could turn the cow tag in and get a refund. To be sure, though, call the DOW.

Please check the bold. I was talking to DOW just a s Jerry emailed me back, so, to the best of my knowledge....
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    One thing to keep in mind, Snake, is that either-sex is not the same as any-elk. Bulls still have to meet the minimum point/horn length requirement. That requirement is that there must be at least 4 points on one side, or at least one of the brow times has to be at least 5 inches long.

You may want to double check with the DOW, but I'm 99% sure that this is correct.

OMG! Did a TPWD bunny hugger infiltrate your DOW???
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    CHIRO1989 wrote: »
    Please check the bold. I was talking to DOW just a s Jerry emailed me back, so, to the best of my knowledge....

What bold?

Is it the part about turning in a cow tag for an either sex? I sure hope so.
    I've had several conversations with my FIL today, debating. He's going to apply for the B license for 54. I don't really want to, but I think I'm going to. It's the only sure thing, for 54. It really stinks that there aren't any guaranteed bull licenses for that unit, for 2nd rifle.
    I'd really, really hate to buy a plane ticket in June, and then not get a license in July.
    What bold?

Is it the part about turning in a cow tag for an either sex? I sure hope so.
    I've had several conversations with my FIL today, debating. He's going to apply for the B license for 54. I don't really want to, but I think I'm going to. It's the only sure thing, for 54. It really stinks that there aren't any guaranteed bull licenses for that unit, for 2nd rifle.
    I'd really, really hate to buy a plane ticket in June, and then not get a license in July.

The try to get an either sex tag part. Actually, the guy I talked to at the DOW said we could get 2 tags for that area, I do not need that much meat to transport and steered my converstion with him about returning the cow tag if I get an either sex tag.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    CHIRO1989 wrote: »
    The try to get an either sex tag part. Actually, the guy I talked to at the DOW said we could get 2 tags for that area, I do not need that much meat to transport and steered my converstion with him about returning the cow tag if I get an either sex tag.

OK, I thought I was missing something. It's doable to get the two tags, maybe. I'm more wanting to know about the returning the cow tag part, provided one can obtain the either sex tag. I'm gonna call them this week, ask a few questions.

It's a lot of if's. Hard to plan for.
    OK, I thought I was missing something. It's doable to get the two tags, maybe. I'm more wanting to know about the returning the cow tag part, provided one can obtain the either sex tag. I'm gonna call them this week, ask a few questions.

It's a lot of if's. Hard to plan for.

Please post up what you find out after the phone call.
  • mosseybuckmosseybuck Member San Luis Valley, CoPosts: 564 Senior Member
    Jerry, I may be more likely to hunt in 521 also. I am planning on getting the bull OTC tag. Then if I want to hunt in unit 80/81 down here, with my local hunting partners any, I still can. If i"m not mistaken I should be able to draw a buck deer tag also in 521.
    USMC '59-'65, NRA Lifer, Tennessee Squire
    mosseybuck wrote: »
    Jerry, I may be more likely to hunt in 521 also. I am planning on getting the bull OTC tag. Then if I want to hunt in unit 80/81 down here, with my local hunting partners any, I still can. If i"m not mistaken I should be able to draw a buck deer tag also in 521.

My dad took a 150 inch mulie out of 521 about 10-12 years ago. It was the last deer he ever shot.

I know that area pretty well, or at least I used to, and can help you with where to hunt if I end up hunting 54. It won't bother me in the least to hunt 521 instead of 54, so we may be making a deer/elk hunt together.
    Jerry

Just an update.

My FIL put in for the unit 54 cow tag. He's thrilled to be able to grab a B license, close to home. He archery hunts as well. I've gotta call the CDOW tomorrow, see what's what. Otherwise, I'll be putting in for the 54 cow tag as well. I'd really rather have the either sex tag, but it's not a sure thing.

So, for better or worse, (pending the draw) my FIL and I will be hunting 54 next October.

My FIL is itching to go riding, he wants to know if anyone has any ideas on where to start scounting??

E-F-054-O2-R

Dan I am in agreement with whatever you and Jerry come up with. I'm at your mercy, as if I had a clue. Anyway, now I have rifles and am getting clothing together. Just let me know when to send in a money order or whatever they will take. And let me know what y'all decide on doing. I'll be happy anyway you go. I think you two have as much vested interest for a successful hunt as any of us do, so I have faith in your decision.
    OK. I just got done talking to an extremely helpful young man name Michael at the CDOW.

He confirmed that you can return an unwanted tag for a full refund. All you have to do is print the license refund application, send it in.
    He told me basically that I will draw that tag, as long as it's a first or second choice. Last year there were 33 left overs, but over half of the drawn tags went as 3rd or 4th choices.

He also suggested that anyone drawing a tag put down a preference point as their first option, the desired tag second. That pretty much gives you a free point, and makes your second choice your first choice.

Furthermore, he suggested that anyone, and everyone that uses OTC tags should buy them online, and put a preference point as their first choice, that way you get a point every time you buy a tag, even if it's OTC. You guys probably know that, but, I never thought about it. I know my FIL would have a boat load of points if he'd have done that every year.

Soooo, I'm gonna fill out my appllication now. Hope for the either sex tag, but for sure have one.
    JB, call the Gunnison CDOW office and ask to speak to Kathleen. She is the one who I spoke to who gave me more info than I could write down. She grew up in that area, has hunted it all her life, and has even taken a bighorn ram from that area. If anyone knows it, she does.

The phone number for the Gunnison office is (970)641-7060.
    Jerry

Will do, Jerry.

Do you guys normally camp at a campground, or just the pull off the road on public land and camp? Just wondering.
    Will do, Jerry.

Do you guys normally camp at a campground, or just the pull off the road on public land and camp? Just wondering.

If there's a forest service campground available, I'll use it. However, the places I've hunted don't usually have one of those handy, so I just find a good open spot off of the road and set up camp.
    Jerry

JB,

The cow tag is a B license, so you can put in for the cow tag and STILL try to get that either tag in July, the either sex tag is an A license. You can have 1 A and 1 B, or 2 B's. So 1 either 1 cow, or 2 cows. Then, if you get the either, you can refund the cow B tag. Viola, everything for the hunt is assured, that you will at least have ONE tag :)
    JB,

The cow tag is a B license, so you can put in for the cow tag and STILL try to get that either tag in July, the either sex tag is an A license. You can have 1 A and 1 B, or 2 B's. So 1 either 1 cow, or 2 cows. Then, if you get the either, you can refund the cow B tag. Viola, everything for the hunt is assured, that you will at least have ONE tag :)

Yep. Got it. I'm in the draw, as well as my FIL. Got me a preference point too!

My father in law has called me every night for the last week, he's super excited. He's itching to go scouting, at least check out the area. He's got horses, so he can cover a good bit of ground. We just have to figure out a starting point.
    JB we will have to get together with contact info between you, me and your FIL. We'll get a scouting game plan worked out. I plan to head up that way when the snow melts (May/June-ish) as I want to get out and mark some stuff on a GPS unit. Thankfully my uncle bought a cabin in Ohio City, and my cousin is the "care taker" and spends all of the non-snowy months up there. I'm hoping to put in quite a bit of scouting this year to make everyone's trip a bit more productive.
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,244 Senior Member
    I still don't like the idea of a cow tag, I'm not sure I can bring myself to buy one.

Shoot a cow for me! My family will eat girly elk. I have been watching this guys. I have been trying to lose some weight and there are heart issues going on that are supposed to be fixed in June (I put it off until after the SE Shoot). As is, I would keel over dead out there. Maybe next year with a slimmer, trimmer, and physically fit Jerm along a new pacemaker that is supposed to boost my cardiac output by 10%, I will be able to make it.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine