Its almost time gents

Replies

• MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,768 Senior Member
    Jerm you always have a spot at any of my campfires!

I just put in for my pref. point for deer. Passed on points for elk and antelope....goats, meh, I'll just pick up leftover doe tags later in the year or find another landowner buck tag. Elk, I have A point, and I don't know why lol This will make point #6 for deer, that means I SHOULD be a shoe-in for next year 3rd season. I hope that giant inferior 3x3 puts on some more head gear weight, and makes it through another fall.
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,508 Senior Member
    JB we will have to get together with contact info between you, me and your FIL. We'll get a scouting game plan worked out. I plan to head up that way when the snow melts (May/June-ish) as I want to get out and mark some stuff on a GPS unit. Thankfully my uncle bought a cabin in Ohio City, and my cousin is the "care taker" and spends all of the non-snowy months up there. I'm hoping to put in quite a bit of scouting this year to make everyone's trip a bit more productive.

Sounds good. I was just checking it out on the cdow interactive maps. Yikes! the NW side of it looks super rugged. That being said, I've always wanted to hunt West Elk, and we could be smack in the middle of it. I'd just guess, we'd probably want to work from 50 north, find a drainage that doesn't require Bear Grylls skills to navigate.
    WELL north of 50. The lazy road hunters will attack that southern side of the unit between 50 and Rainbow Lakes. Although, the Rainbow Lakes area might be a good spot to camp, and hunt North and NE from there. The whole Gunnison basin gets a good amount of pressure, getting into that rugged stuff can mean the difference between tag soup and a picture with a giant goofy smile and a dead bull;)
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 10,909 Senior Member
    I have my cow tag! Anybody else?
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 7,341 Senior Member
    I'm out of chips this year, too. With finally getting a mule deer tag here in Nevada and taking my pup back to Nebraska later in the same month, I'm up against the leave wall. I didn't think I would actually get drawn in NV for a deer, so I can't waste that chance. Sorry, but I'll have to sit this year's adventure out, fellas.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
    Hey if I drew a coveted tag like that NV deer tag, I'd be skipping this hunt and I'm more or less a host LMAO. Nothing to be sorry about since you have to pass up the hunt for another hunt. Besides I'm not going anywhere anytime soon, and my campfire always has some space available ;)
    Congrats on the draw Scott! Just over a month to go before the mad rush to get one of the limited either sex tags. If I don't get that there are always left over cow tags so I'm not worried. Heck if I end up going with a cow tag anyways that means I could get another cow tag for 4th season in 551 with the family, especially if I don't fill that tag.
    Congrats on the draw Scott! Just over a month to go before the mad rush to get one of the limited either sex tags. If I don't get that there are always left over cow tags so I'm not worried. Heck if I end up going with a cow tag anyways that means I could get another cow tag for 4th season in 551 with the family, especially if I don't fill that tag.

Are you a Jerry getting a feel for a head count yet?
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    Dwindling from the start, as we expected.

Maybe it is time to start a head count thread?
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 7,341 Senior Member
    Dwindling from the start, as we expected.

Maybe it is time to start a head count thread?

I would, just to get a better number. Life filters out a lot of folks. I honestly expected to get shot down on a deer tag again this year and that I would be hunting with you guys, but the draw is funny like that.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,851 Senior Member
    OK Dan or Jerry, or anyone with this knowledge, for the dense Texans can you give us a recap? How much is the "EITHER"? How much is the Cow? and How much is just a Bull? Also, is it possible for you to give me a weeks lead time to make sure my money gets where it needs to go to purchase the tag? I'm like JB Ohio's FIL now. I'm getting as giddy as an 8 year old girl at her birthday party. I've been shooting a lot of hogs in preparation to getting used to shooting at game and getting my nerves and muscles in coordination. Evereytime I open my safe, the 300 WBY and the 7 Rem. Mag. cry out to me, "Take me! Take me!"

As for clothing, I've decided I'm not going to hock the farm to buy a bunch of stuff I may never use again. I did that when I went on those back packing treks in NM and never recovered all my expenses. I've decided to wear many layers of thinner stuff and covering it all with some thin Camo clothing sprayed with something to shed water. I have some good hunting boots that are comfortable and I will get some wool socks. A good pair of gloves is probably essential. Also, I'm going to get some sort of back pack to carry an emergency change of clothes, a small meet saw and a good sharp hatchet. I have some great knives for the occasion that I'll wear on a belt.

The one investment I will make is for a decent sleeping bag like a North Face or something on that order that will be good for below zero temperatures. Something I do know and is good to keep in mind, a good bag such as a North Face is expensive, but it will keep you warm and it is very light. I for one believe that a good night's sleep is very important in the grand scheme of things as relating to success. You don't do your best thinking when tired.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 6,539 Senior Member
    Either sex tags for the second season of GMU 54 is $579. If you do not already have a Habitat Stamp, add another $10. My advice is to apply over the internet and use a credit card. Applying from out of state via regular mail for a drawing that will probably last less than a day will probably not be successful.

There will not be any over the counter (OTC) bull tags available for this season and this GMU.

Cow tags, available either through the draw (already done), or as left over tags (if there are any) are $354 plus the $10habitat stamp. If there are any, they will not be available until August 14. You can buy them from an authorized agent, which means you have to find one, and I doubt there are any outside of Colorado, over the web, or via phone (800-244-5613). My best advice is to go to the CDOW web page, www.wildlife.state.co.us, and check it out for yourself. From that page, you can go the application page if you so desire.

At this time, I have absolutely no idea as to how many will be hunting. Also, I have heard from at least one other member who wants to hunt unit 521. My thinking is that I will probably NOT apply for a GMU 54 tag, but buy an OTC bull tag for 521 so that anyone who misses out on a GMU 54 tag can hunt with me, and at least have someone who is somewhat familiar with the area in camp. However, as with most things, this is subject to change.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
    Jerry that is a great idea having the "back up camp" basically. Especially for the same season, just in case they are not able to procure a tag, or someones plans suddenly change and they CAN make the hunt at the last minute!

Snake,

Probably not a bad idea on your gear options. Yes, the weather in CO is about as stable as a bi-polar pregnant woman, and there is always the chance for very inclement weather but the odds are strongly in your favor that you will not be stuck in a blizzard freezing your butt off. Besides if really bad weather does get predicted, 54 has a Wal-Mart and 2 sporting goods stores in town. I WOULD invest in a set of thermals...just in case. I mean, you don't have to drop over 100$ for Under Armor or anything, but just some good polypro long undies just in case. Layers are your best friend, as the mornings just might be downright chilly, but by mid morning and after some walking, you don't want to be sweating like a pregnant nun. Heck 2 years ago in 1st season I would have hunted mid day in shorts and a tshirt if I had them lol jeans and a long sleeve light t-shirt were almost a bit too warm. But then again, it was frosty in the morning. Towards the end of second season, and especially 3rd season....is where things start getting dicey. Last year in 3rd we had a few warm days where I hunted in a very light jacket and pants, and then a few days where I was bundled up pretty good and it was snowing hard. Best bet is to just keep an eye on the weather right before you leave (and we will all be doing the same as well) and be flexible to make last minute changes. Like I said, Wal-Mart is only a short trip away for any last minute emergency gear.
    Yep, I have a shiny new cow tag. We're pretty set on heading to 54, so my FIL can archery hunt, and get the B tag for this hunt.
    I plan on trying for the either sex tag, and returning the cow tag. Hopefully.

So, yes, I will be in western CO, Oct 20-28. I'll start looking for plane tickets.

My FIL has been up scouting. He couldn't get up where he wanted to go, the first time, around May 5th.
    I'll get more info. He said he liked the lay of the land where he was looking, not too steep.
    Dan, if you want to hook up with him, I can get you two in touch.
    So, that's it, huh? Chiro and I, my FIL, maybe Snake if he gets a tag?

My FIL went out scouting this weekend, he went up around the Lost Lake area. He really liked it, but said it was STEEP. Told me I better get acquainted with my new treadmill.

He's gonna try to check out a new area every couple of weeks, he's been pouring over Garmin Mapsource, scoping out tentative spots.
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 3,269 Senior Member
    jbohio wrote: »
    So, that's it, huh? Chiro and I, my FIL, maybe Snake if he gets a tag?

My FIL went out scouting this weekend, he went up around the Lost Lake area. He really liked it, but said it was STEEP. Told me I better get acquainted with my new treadmill.

He's gonna try to check out a new area every couple of weeks, he's been pouring over Garmin Mapsource, scoping out tentative spots.

I'm on the fence till August when the new computer charting system launches at my hospital (vacation moritorium during training) if all goes well and timing is right I will try for a leftover tag. Otherwise, theres always next year:bang:

Sako
    sakodude wrote: »
    I'm on the fence till August when the new computer charting system launches at my hospital (vacation moritorium during training) if all goes well and timing is right I will try for a leftover tag. Otherwise, theres always next year:bang:

Sako

Try and get the either sex tag in July, you can always get a refund if you do not use it AFAIK.

EHR is the devil, I now have to put info into a template that takes about 4X as long so the gov't can access records easier.
    CHIRO1989 wrote: »
    Try and get the either sex tag in July, you can always get a refund if you do not use it AFAIK.

EHR is the devil, I now have to put info into a template that takes about 4X as long so the gov't can access records easier.

I have no interest in antlers so I prefer to only pay the cow tag cost. Problem is the timeing is going to be tight. We launch Aug 1st and the leftovers go on sale Aug 15th and that assumes there are some. Last year I was watching unit 551 where MHS useually hunts and there were plenty left for some time after but I have no idea what to expect in this new unit. Time will tell.

Sako
    FYI, Tom.

It looks like there are left over cow tags in 521 for the second season. Just something you might want to keep in mind. I might try to get one for myself.
    Jerry

• avmechavmech Senior Member Posts: 858 Senior Member
    Just put in for my quota hunts this year, let's see if they get drawn
    NRA Benefactor Member
    JerryBobCo wrote: »
    FYI, Tom.

It looks like there are left over cow tags in 521 for the second season. Just something you might want to keep in mind. I might try to get one for myself.

Thanks for the heads up Jerry:up: Is there a list posted already? I looked and could not find it.
    If it works out that 521 has leftovers in August, and hopefully, someone else is hunting there, I have no problem putting in for that unit.

Sako
    Try this page, Tom.

http://wildlife.state.co.us/SiteCollectionDocuments/DOW/Hunting/BigGame/Statistics/2012/2012ELKDrawSum.pdf

I'll have to agree that the CDOW's web site it not the easiest in the world to navigate, but if you plug away enough, you'll eventually find what you want.
    Jerry

from what I understand left over cows in nearly ANY unit in CO for any season, is not a problem. I know there were left overs in 54 last year. There is also a 5th season cow only hunt in December in 54. Cows tags a-plenty.
    from what I understand left over cows in nearly ANY unit in CO for any season, is not a problem. I know there were left overs in 54 last year. There is also a 5th season cow only hunt in December in 54. Cows tags a-plenty.

Good to know. Hows the Z-Hat project coming along?

Sako
    Good to know. Hows the Z-Hat project coming along?

Sako

Its not. Project came to a halt, from their end. Not sure what happened but they just stopped communication! Emailed a few times, didn't hear back from them....read on another forum this isn't exactly uncommon. So, screw em, that was a few grand they could have had. Actually put the 1903 up for sale, I could use the money more then another rifle. I still want a 9.3 something fierce, good chance I'll end up just going with the Ruger African or CZ Kevlar.
    Its not. Project came to a halt, from their end. Not sure what happened but they just stopped communication! Emailed a few times, didn't hear back from them....read on another forum this isn't exactly uncommon. So, screw em, that was a few grand they could have had. Actually put the 1903 up for sale, I could use the money more then another rifle. I still want a 9.3 something fierce, good chance I'll end up just going with the Ruger African or CZ Kevlar.

Well that sucks, at least they showed thier cards before they had your rifle and money. Got my eye on a CZ 550 full stock in 9.3x62. Just can't convince myself to commit to it because I know once I do, a 370 Sako is going to pop up:silly:

Sako
    Could always just re-chamber that CZ as well. The 370 is the same OAL and should just be a slight barrel set back and simple re-chamber. Have the barrel stamped 9.3x66
    http://wildlife.state.co.us/SiteCollectionDocuments/DOW/Hunting/BigGame/GMUTipSheets/GMU054.pdf

Found this, good info! JB you should pass this along to your FIL
    Cool. Will do.

Lost Lake is off CR 12, in the northern end of 54, about half way between Paonia and Crested Butte.

I think he's gonna work south and east from there, see how far he can get back in there. He's using a 4 wheeler for now, trying the different county roads, and forest service roads. Once he finds something he really likes, he'll probably take horses so he go back in there wherever he wants.
    Thanks for the heads up Jerry:up: Is there a list posted already? I looked and could not find it.
    If it works out that 521 has leftovers in August, and hopefully, someone else is hunting there, I have no problem putting in for that unit.

Sako

There are 30 left overs for 54. Code EF05402R.