Home Main Category Hunting

Spring bear hunters?

CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior MemberKaniksu Nat'l Forest, IDPosts: 5,486 Senior Member
Who's going bear hunting? What tactics are you using?

My season opens April 1st. I'm tree stand hunting over bait. I need to bust the big cinnamon that eluded me last fall.
When our governing officials dismiss due process as mere semantics, when they exercise powers they don’t have and ignore duties they actually bear, and when we let them get away with it, we have ceased to be our own rulers.

Adam J. McCleod

Replies

• WeatherbyWeatherby Senior Member Posts: 4,953 Senior Member
    Good luck getting Ginger

We don't have a spring season here

Hopefully it won't show up with cubs in tow and look up and wink at you

I used to have one do that to me every other year
  • beartrackerbeartracker Senior Member Posts: 3,116 Senior Member
    Man, I do love black bear hunting, but only get to do it in the Fall. Got to look around when you see that cinnamon colored bear and make sure cubs are not somewhere behind her. Drew down on a nice bear and almost pulled the trigger three years ago and just as I was about to nail that bear a cub stepped out from around a big rock and you know the rest of that story. Good luck and have fun.
  • QuinianQuinian Senior Member Posts: 707 Senior Member
    I don't have a tag but I'll be going out with my buddy as his back up and pack mule. No idea on tactics I'm just following him around. I've never been before so I hope to learn something. We can't use bait here.
  • CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Kaniksu Nat'l Forest, IDPosts: 5,486 Senior Member
    Seeing sows and cubs wouldn't be bad. I've never seen cubs in the wild.
    When our governing officials dismiss due process as mere semantics, when they exercise powers they don’t have and ignore duties they actually bear, and when we let them get away with it, we have ceased to be our own rulers.

Adam J. McCleod

You don't call turkeys enough then :tooth:
  • CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Kaniksu Nat'l Forest, IDPosts: 5,486 Senior Member
    Weatherby wrote: »
    You don't call turkeys enough then :tooth:

You've had bears come to turkey calls?! I've had coyotes come in and I've heard plenty stories about lions, but never bears.

Adam J. McCleod

at least 5 different times.Once I called in the same sow and cubs in twice the same evening
    at least 5 different times.Once I called in the same sow and cubs in twice the same evening

Now I'm thinking about doing a little turkey calling while in the stand. Turkey and bear both open on April 1st.

Adam J. McCleod

• JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Podunk, Tx.Posts: 8,227 Senior Member
    If you want to hunt spring bears, don't bother coming to Colorado. About 20 years ago someone managed to promote an initiative against spring bear hunting and got it on the ballot. It passed by a huge margin.

In my opinion, this is one of the stupidest things I've witnessed. Issues of this nature are best decided by qualified wildlife professionals, not a bunch of folks voting their emotions with no idea of the facts behind the question.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    Tell me something guys, I've never been bear hunting. I have eaten some bear at a wild game dinner out in Uvalde a few years back but I've heard since it's not fit to eat. As I rememeber the piece I had wasn't bad. What kind of Ju Ju is required to make the meat edible? Or is it possible?
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    The only way I'll eat it:

bearpep.jpg

Adam J. McCleod

CaliFFL wrote: »

bearpep.jpg

Ahh so, now I see. Well If it's good in pepperoni it should be good in some south Texas German-Bohemian sausage with lots of garlic and a little chili.
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.

bearpep.jpg

Ahh so, now I see. Well If it's good in pepperoni it should be good in some south Texas German-Bohemian sausage with lots of garlic and a little chili.

My season opens April 1st. I'm tree stand hunting over bait. I need to bust the big cinnamon that eluded me last fall.

Well? where is the close up of her
    Don't ask how I know I just do......LOL
    her name is Ginger

ETA---My season opens on the 15th. D'oh!

Adam J. McCleod

About the time your bears get moving the hogs are doing the same around here. I need to text my friend and see if she's up for another night sitting with a spotlight swatting mosquitos. It's definitely that time of year.

bearpep.jpg

What do ya call it, Bearoni?
    ETA---My season opens on the 15th. D'oh!

where are the pictures ?
    where are the pictures ?

Today is the first day to check the camera. In Idaho, we cannot put out bait until opening day. The kid and I hauled out 200 lbs of rancid beaver carcasses and a 55 gallon drum Sunday morning. I'll post pics if there's anything interesting.

Adam J. McCleod

Today is the first day to check the camera. In Idaho, we cannot put out bait until opening day. The kid and I hauled out 200 lbs of rancid beaver carcasses and a 55 gallon drum Sunday morning. I'll post pics if there's anything interesting.

:popcorn:
    :popcorn::popcorn::cool::popcorn:
    :popcorn::popcorn::cool::popcorn:

Sorry, but I've got nothin'. Frustrating....

Adam J. McCleod

wrong wrong wrong........quality time in the woods

She will be bigger this fall

YES INDEED!!! Well put, she will be bigger this fall :):):)

Frustrating as in no photographs. I haven't had a single bear hit my bait.

Since no bears have come in, I've spent more time chasing turkeys. Haven't bagged one yet.

Adam J. McCleod

• CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Central MNPosts: 14,659 Senior Member

NOW that would be the time to meet somone on the trail:tooth:.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11