What is a "shoot me first" shirt?

samzheresamzhere BannedPosts: 10,923 Senior Member
In another thread, someone mentioned a "shoot me first" shirt or hat. I think I've heard the term before but don't know what it means.

Does it refer to someone wearing gang colors or other gang clothes in gang-rife neighborhoods? Or what? Thanks...

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read. - Groucho Marx

Replies

• QuinianQuinian Senior Member Posts: 707 Senior Member
    as I understand it, it's shirts with pro 2a slogans, gun related things and the like. I have some of those but for the most part my shirts are non descript or have something smart a on it
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    think of a shirt with a revolver and the I don't dial 911 slogan, or the NRA logo etc.....

NRA type wear is available without logos.

Various Law enforcement agencies have unit jackets that only those in the know will recognize.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    Oh. But why would an NRA-type shirt say "shoot me first"?

Are there any legitimate news accounts of this being true? (I take it that some thug will single you out and shoot you first -- assuming the thug is going to shoot a bunch of people in a group, like at Kroger).

Sounds to me like anectodal (urban legend). Unless of course anyone's got a link to this being a genuine problem. My guess it's in the same category as the "blinking your headlights at the bright beams gang initiation" story, which is bogus.

But thanks for the definition, Quin and Doc. Myself, I'll stick with my NRA cap or shirt. Just sayin'

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
    No dag nab it !!!

The shirt no way says shoot Me first, it has gun type stuff logos on it that identifies the wearer as a possible gun toting type person, so a crook will take that as a sign to shoot that fellow first.....

Just like Officers in combat, they were the ones most in danger of being shot first.......

And not just by the enemy either......

There is a school of thought that concealed carry licensee should be as inconspicous as possible so if and when it does hit the fan, attention will not be drawn on you prematurely because you are wearing garb that identifies you to the criminal as a potential threat, ie a concealed carry licensee.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • EliEli Senior Member Posts: 3,074 Senior Member
    samzhere wrote: »
    In another thread, someone mentioned a "shoot me first" shirt or hat. I think I've heard the term before but don't know what it means.

Does it refer to someone wearing gang colors or other gang clothes in gang-rife neighborhoods? Or what? Thanks...

It's a shoot me first hat......that goes over your torso.
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,084 Senior Member
    Sam,
    Weren't you hassled by some drunk at a bar because you were wearing a gun gear shirt? Glock, I believe. I think he said if he had a Glock he'd shoot... you. Maybe idle talk, but it can increase the risk of confrontation. Which that fellow tried to do. Granted, he didn't shoot you, but it did give him a reason to give you more attention than the other patrons.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • N454casullN454casull Member Posts: 357 Member
    When in Vegas for the shot show you could tell who was there for the show and who wasn't. Of course there was exceptions but for the most part it was easy to spot the khaki tactical crowd.
    I like Khaki, does that make Me Tacky-too-Kool ??? :jester:

I remember the story about the drunk too, and it all started over some type of gun logo, and when the drunk read it, he got pretty steamed............ :cuss:

So I guess it is not an urban legend after all.

It is an urbane Sam legend !!!!! :popcorn:

The popcorn emoticon will wow Sam now ! ha ha !!!
    cpj wrote: »
    Really? Dude.

Ease up there Spandex......nothing wrong with sandals.

I wear floppy flips........does strain my ability to maintain concentration while dealing with hot brass in between my toes......but hey, train how ya fight, and all that jazz.
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 6,981 Senior Member
    Is this a pic from a couple of years ago? You will have to click on the link
    http://www.go4costumes.com/stockimages/31736.jpg
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 6,417 Senior Member
    Really? Dude.

BPS pitches you a soft lob with "Man Sack" and you swing at sandals?! Disappointing.:cuss:
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
    BPsniper wrote: »
    Yep. If I'm not working, I'm barefoot or in sandals. Preferable barefoot.

Ditto.

Last two jobs I've had, I had to wear dress shoes (office) and work boots (construction). I FREAKIN HATE wearing shoes!!!

Unless I'm just grabbing something out of the car or checking the mail (short trips across the yard), I'll wear flip flops outside.......but the instant I get in the house the shoes come off.

To be completely honest, the only reason that I don't wear just my boxers around the house is that I need some sort of waistband to clip a Glock to.
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 9,507 Senior Member

Barefoot? Long hair?? Are you on TV???

dual-survival-cody-lundin-1.jpg
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
    Sam,
    Weren't you hassled by some drunk at a bar because you were wearing a gun gear shirt? Glock, I believe. I think he said if he had a Glock he'd shoot... you. Maybe idle talk, but it can increase the risk of confrontation. Which that fellow tried to do. Granted, he didn't shoot you, but it did give him a reason to give you more attention than the other patrons.

Hassled is too strong for what he did. He was an old drunk dude loudmouth, ny NRA shirt got him to babbling, told me that if I were to shoot him he'd get up and take the gun from my hand and beat me on the head with it. I didn't even reply to him so he wandered over and tried to pick a fight with the next guy, about his western style shirt. About 20 sec later he was asked to leave and go sleep it off -- seems he's a common irritant there. But at no time did he say he had a gun.

After his "challenge" I briefly considered going to my car, getting my Glock 30, coming back and putting two rounds center chest, then asking him what he was gonna do next. It was of course a fantasy on my part.

He was working his way down the bar, finding fault and ranting at each person in line, finding something to gripe about. We all ignored him but the bartender ran him out.

• Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,111 Senior Member
    ^What he said. I think it is complete BS. The only people that are going to pay any extra attention to you is folks like us who see the shirt and try and spot the weapon, (ohhhhhhh! I said weapon again!) or an LEO. Not a band of rouge ninjas.
    Rouge? Isn't that the red stuff the ladies dust their (face) cheeks with?
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,507 Senior Member

Same here. I pretty much only wear boots, or sandals/flip flops. I can't stand wearing socks, without boots over them. No boots, no socks. Drives my wife nuts.
    I've got a pair of tennis shoes around here somewhere, had to buy them to wear for therapy last year.

That reminds me, I need a new pair of Keen's....
  • SlanteyedshootistSlanteyedshootist Senior Member Posts: 3,947 Senior Member
    Rouge? Isn't that the red stuff the ladies dust their (face) cheeks with?

Ninjas only wear tactical black rouge. It costs twice as much as regular rouge. You apply it with a picatinny rail. It's hard to apply right because they can't see themselves in the mirror. Invisible dontcha know.
    The answer to 1984 is 1776
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,748 Senior Member
    Well, since I was the one that mentioned a "shoot me first" shirt, I guess this threads about me.
    What it is hasn't changed since the last time or two you asked what they were and then wanted to debate if it happens or not :roll:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

hippies.jpg

hippies2.jpg

Smells like a Grateful Dead concert around here lately.:silly::roll2:
  • OjibahineOjibahine New Member Posts: 25 New Member
    Eli wrote: »
    Ditto.

Last two jobs I've had, I had to wear dress shoes (office) and work boots (construction). I FREAKIN HATE wearing shoes!!!

Unless I'm just grabbing something out of the car or checking the mail (short trips across the yard), I'll wear flip flops outside.......but the instant I get in the house the shoes come off.

To be completely honest, the only reason that I don't wear just my boxers around the house is that I need some sort of waistband to clip a Glock to.

Good news! They make something so you CAN just wear your boxers and still carry the Glock. It's called a belly band. :cool:
    Ojibahine wrote: »
    [/B]

Good news! They make something so you CAN just wear your boxers and still carry the Glock. It's called a belly band. :cool:

Belly bands hold tight to the body.......like clothing.....no bueno.

Trying for less here, not more. :tooth:

Honestly my "lounge" wear is an OLD T-shirt (the kinds that've been washed so much they are almost see through) and a pair of cut off cotton shorts with a drawstring waistband. With a Glock or an M&P clipped at about the 1 o'clock position, and a knife in the pocket. I figure, with that combo, I can get to a shotgun or another pistol (or spare mag), from anywhere on my property.

Or at least I hope so. :tooth:
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 14,972 Senior Member
    I think I've heard the term before but don't know what it means.

Sure ya do...we've had this same conversation before...several times...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,942 Senior Member
    I do not like the barefoot option around the south because of hook worm and
    unknown dogs doing their job in my yard.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,942 Senior Member
    I'm not a big believer in the "Shoot Me First" attire concept. I believe it's just theory as well. But, I still think the Magnum PI shirts and the Photographer/511 vests are just too gay.

Shoot if that concept was valid including military type gear, there would be dead bodies laying all over this area of the country.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    Sure ya do...we've had this same conversation before...several times...

I know we'd talked about bringing attention to ourselves when carrying but I didn't connect the phrase "shoot me first" to it.

Incidentally, someone thinks I've even STARTED several threads on this subject. Let's put up or shut up on that, okay? If anyone can show where I started a thread on this subject even ONCE I will donate $100 to his selected charity and post the online receipt. If the person who thinks this is making it all up, however, I'm fine with it. He can donate $100 to my fave charity Wounded Warriors and show us the receipt.

My notations here probably won't reach the person who accused me WRONGLY of starting such threads because he "banned" me from his thread-response list some time ago because I disliked him so much. Or so he said, although I never challenged him as a person, only what he said. I never attack the person, unlike some here. Only the premise posted. Some here cannot discern the difference.

But he can put up the dough to charity and stop posting false statements about me, or prove otherwise. Sound fair?

My memory's just fine, by the way. I may be older than most here but still test at ~145 for the last IQ test I took. I've got no difficulty writing novels and short stories, book reviews regularly, and working on a writer's committee nationally. In between spelling words correctly. And writing an essay on Hamlet, one on Joyce's Ulysses.

But someone here says I started several other threads and this means that my memory's faulty. I say he's the one in error. So prove it, pal. And Jay, you're not the one. But you jumped on the "slam Sam" bandwagon so I'm posting my reply to your note.

But it's typical for some posters -- they stand off a ways and toss accusations. Myself, I'm sticking to the subject. Doc defined the term I asked about and guess what? I didn't attack him. I simply said that I didn't believe the scenario is genuine. Of course Doc didn't speculate on that, just defined the term, for which I thanked him.

Another gentlemen's bet: Anyone who can post ONE legit news story or authenticated account of a bad guy shooting at someone first because he was wearing a pro-gun shirt or cap, name the charity and I'll send them a hundred bucks. Again, show me. I'm always eager to learn new things and would be enlightened to see the news story.

So here's an opportunity for eager critics out there to get 200 bucks donated to a charity on their behalf. Me, I think my money's safe and secure for me to donate to WW next month. Any takers?

Obtuse, is it intentional ?
    I don't think a BG who shot a bunch of people will admit to shooting someone first because of the clothes he wears.
    DoctorWho wrote: »
    Obtuse, is it intentional ?

I'm not the one being obtuse, Doc. It's someone who accuses me of things and then scoots away. I'm not afraid to reply to taunts. If that makes me obtuse then I don't know the definition.

And Jay, you're not the one. But you jumped on the "slam Sam" bandwagon so I'm posting my reply to your note.

Not slamming you Sam....merely stating facts.....(1) We have discussed this very subject, multiple times over the years (2) You participated in those discussions, using the same rationale and arguments.

Your offer is well-intentioned but frivolous, since you are obviously aware that the boards where we had those discussions no longer exist...
    I was going to start a similar thread. Not asking what it is, but if it had ever resulted in a shooting,fracus, brouhaha, melee, a tangle, throwdown, fisticuffs, etc.

Because I don't think it has. For the average Joe.

There...fixed it for you....you're welcome... No need to take offense, stamp your feet, throw a kitten, kick the dog, strangle a houseplant, etc etc etc...:jester:

By the way...speaking of Spandex...there was a case some years ago where a spandex wearing female jogger was shot in the butt. At the hospital, the ER doc tugged on the material and the bullet popped out...so apparently there is some tactical advantage to your biking clothes...kinda like stylish level Zero body armor...