18 days until......

HAWKENHAWKEN Senior MemberPosts: 1,688 Senior Member
Just 18 days before spring gobbler season opens in the greenest state in the land of the free. I am getting anxious because the jakes are all ready starting to strut. I have a new 20ga muzzle loading shotgun that I am dying to try on them.....Robin
I don't often talk to people that voted for Obama, but when I do I order large fries!
Life member of the American Legion, the VFW, the NRA and the Masonic Lodge, retired LEO

Replies

• beartrackerbeartracker Senior Member Posts: 3,116 Senior Member
    Love Turkey season, yes it is spring time. I am looking forward to your experience with the muzzle loading shotgun and how it does taking turkey. Good luck and make it a big gobbler.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 15,058 Senior Member
    Our big winter flocks are starting to break up, a few more near 80 degree days and we'll have turkeys all over the place...My biggest concern is that the gobblers will be all henned up by the time season opens...makes for a much tougher season if you're looking for a long beard...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • WeatherbyWeatherby Senior Member Posts: 4,768 Senior Member
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    Our big winter flocks are starting to break up, a few more near 80 degree days and we'll have turkeys all over the place...My biggest concern is that the gobblers will be all henned up by the time season opens...makes for a much tougher season if you're looking for a long beard...

Our season doesn't open until the end of April and with the weather we've been having I'm anticipating a bad season.
    The trees will be leafing out a month early I hate that part the most.
    Also I think the breading will be done and over.

Way to go Hawken go get em
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 15,058 Senior Member
    Everything here is way ahead of schedule...I'm beginning to think the season will be over before the season opens...I've got gobblers strutting in the south pasture already, nearly a month before the season opens...going to be a hard season...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,731 Senior Member
    I can remember fondly the day I shot my first turkey.............It scared the crap out of the rest of the people in the frozen foods section!!!!
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • HAWKENHAWKEN Senior Member Posts: 1,688 Senior Member
    Thanks for the laugh. You made my day........Robin
    I don't often talk to people that voted for Obama, but when I do I order large fries!
    Life member of the American Legion, the VFW, the NRA and the Masonic Lodge, retired LEO
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,849 Senior Member
    orchidman wrote: »
    I can remember fondly the day I shot my first turkey.............It scared the crap out of the rest of the people in the frozen foods section!!!!
    At least you didn't have to pluck it :rotflmao:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.