What do you think is the best HD long arm?

13»

Replies

• JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 14,837 Senior Member
    Kurt wrote: »
    Professional hunters going after leopard load their shotguns with #4 duck loads. .

Where did you find this pearl? I've read of them using #4 BUCK but have never seen reference to them going after pissed-off leopards with bird shot....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,803 Senior Member
    One thing here, iffin I was Leopard hunting I wouldn't be worried about penetrating my neighbor's walls. I think I'd probably have something in a powerful rifle with about a 300 grain bullet.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • KSU FirefighterKSU Firefighter Senior Member Posts: 3,245 Senior Member
    snake284 wrote: »
    One thing here, iffin I was Leopard hunting I wouldn't be worried about penetrating my neighbor's walls. I think I'd probably have something in a powerful rifle with about a 300 grain bullet.

I think he was talking about going into the brush after a wounded leopard. Profession Hunters are called upon to finish off wounded leopards if their client does not get the job done. Close range, exceedingly dangerous work, and I too have always heard that they used buckshot.
    The fire service needs a "culture of extinguishment not safety" Ray McCormack FDNY
  • horselipshorselips Senior Member Posts: 3,624 Senior Member
    My HD shotgun, a Remington 1100, is loaded with No.4 Buckshot. It was on sale. My .223 is loaded with Silver Bear. Also on sale a year ago when I bought it. My neighbors living next to me will just have to take their chances, as I do living next to them. Se la vie.
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,052 Senior Member
    I think he was talking about going into the brush after a wounded leopard. Profession Hunters are called upon to finish off wounded leopards if their client does not get the job done. Close range, exceedingly dangerous work, and I too have always heard that they used buckshot.
    Yep, but I thought it was 00 or 000 buck.

And I think that's more a product of availability than anything else. I've got no information to back me up, but I do know that ammo availability in Africa is less than here in the US, and you need a smaller, handier firearm that points well. Like a shotgun. Probably just as much for the sake of that's all they had they went with buck, and have stuck with it partially out of tradition.

At least that's my guess.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,052 Senior Member
    horselips wrote: »
    My HD shotgun, a Remington 1100, is loaded with No.4 Buckshot. It was on sale. My .223 is loaded with Silver Bear. Also on sale a year ago when I bought it. My neighbors living next to me will just have to take their chances, as I do living next to them. Se la vie.
    So because you're too cheap to buy good ammo for the AR the neighbors will have to take their chances? As will family members in the other room?

Glad I don't live next or with to you.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • North ForestNorth Forest Member Posts: 310 Member
    I'm going with my Mossberg 500 with 00 buck. Though over penetration is a concern, I find it hard to miss up to 40 ft., and the pattern I'm getting is only about a 20 in. diameter at that distance.
  • JLDickmonJLDickmon Senior Member Posts: 1,726 Senior Member
    I can't tell you it's the "best," as that's a subjective discussion..
    I can tell you what I USE...
    which is my Win 1300 NWTF (20" barrel) with an IC choke, stoked with #4 Buck..
    Never laugh at your wife's choices.
    You are one of them.
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 6,461 Senior Member
    30 carbine, with 110 gr hps.

As to wall penetration, I don't expect to miss. If I do, only one neighbor is within a likely path, and he is a ways away with trees in the way living in a board house.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
13»