US election for (foreign) dummies

AntonioAntonio Senior MemberPosts: 2,353 Senior Member
Ok people, will like some inputs about what's coming.

So far I know that the black dude is running for a 2nd. term, and that's why there has been no Democrat primaries. Regarding this matter, let me say that this guy is the closest to a 3rd. world president you've managed to get in office...believe me, I've seen my share of them.

Also I know that there are basically 2 Republican candidates: Romney and Santorum. I know little about the 1st. one (Local pinko press shows him as the devil's accountant while saying Obummer is the...fecal matter...'cause he's black and that's a lesson for all you racists) and the only thing I know about the 2nd. one is that he's a religious freak (Local pinko press says HE IS the devil himself). Don't care what he believes in, but those guys, no matter if they're Muslims, Catholics or Trekkies ALWAYS give me the creeps....is that true? Are his religious views capable of affecting his decision process?

So far regarding to the GOP candidate, who's leading the primaries? Does he stand any chance against the current president? What about your gun rights? I know they're in jeopardy if Democrats stay in power, but will they be at least relatively safe if Santorum is elected?

Are pinkos threatening to migrate to Canada if a GOP president is elected? I remember some of them, specially Hollyweird types saying they'd do so when Bush Jr. won but can't recall if any of them finally did it.
Will the potential GOP president get also a Nobel Peace Prize for........ahem....being......doing.....saying.....war......not being......?aw, forget it!

Replies

• airheadairhead Member Posts: 424 Member
    The GOP did it again.

One middle of the road centrist (RHINO, milktoast, liberal, etc.)
    2-4 Conservatives to split the real conservative vote up.

We end up with another "Reach across the isle" kind of guy to run against an even bigger liberal.
    This post has been made with 100% recycled electrons.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 7,099 Senior Member
    Sad to say, but the RINO vote for Romney is probably our best bet to oust Obama at this point.

You can't win national elections with your party's core all by itself. Obama got there with the whole starry-eyed "hopey changey" thing and melanin appeal. Santorum might win the social conservative extremes of the Republican base, but outside his own party, he seems to be doing a better job of mobilizing people AGAINST himself rather than for.

What Romney seems to have going for him:

1. He's NOT Obama. This gains solid points with the "anybody BUT Obama" contingent.
    2. He doesn't appear to be rabidly for or against anything. No real points gained or lost. Probably a gain in that while he doesn't generate a lot of "pro" enthusiasm, he isn't mobilizing massive "anti" enthusiasm from the other side like Santorum is.
    3. He's a Republican that managed to get elected Governor of liberal Massachusetts. This will gain him points with the lefty-middle folks who have realized that Barry O is in fact NOT all that and a bag of chips.

I think anyone who is not a hardcore liberal will know better than to work against gun rights in the current climate. Hell, Obama IS a hardcore liberal and he knows enough to leave this issue alone at least until he's got a second term.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • AntonioAntonio Senior Member Posts: 2,353 Senior Member
    Thanks for the inputs; picture is clearer to me now. Amazing that voting in the US is not compulsive like over here.

Hope you won't get stuck with this "change" guy for another 4 years.
  • SirGeorgeKillianSirGeorgeKillian Senior Member Posts: 5,458 Senior Member
    Bigslug wrote: »
    3. He's a Republican that managed to get elected Governor of liberal Massachusetts. This will gain him points with the lefty-middle folks who have realized that Barry O is in fact NOT all that and a bag of chips.

Problem is, most liberals I know DO think he all that and a bag of chips....
    Unless life also hands you water and sugar, your lemonade is gonna suck!
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    I'm in love with a Glock
  • AiredaleAiredale Banned Posts: 624 Senior Member
    Antonio,
    Thanks for your interest in the U.S. elections.
    But....until you become a voting citizen of this country I (for one) think that you should keep your Peruvian comments about our elected President and the candidates for his office to yourself.
    Americans have been pretty successful in solving our political issues without forign advice.
    You have a beautiful country, keep your political thoughts there.
    Respectfully,
    Jim
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,195 Senior Member
    Airedale wrote: »
    Americans have been pretty successful in solving our political issues without forign advice.
    He asked questions...not offered advice, but I do agree with his statement "Obummer is the...fecal matter."
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!
  • Lonewolf-PeruLonewolf-Peru Member Posts: 349 Member
    I have not participated previously in this thread, but I would like to say that I know I'm a guest here, so I try not to step on my hosts toes. I know that sometimes I have crossed the line and let go a comment that is "less than kind", about certain political figures. My apologies if that have offended someone.
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    I have not participated previously in this thread, but I would like to say that I know I'm a guest here, so I try not to step on my hosts toes. I know that sometimes I have crossed the line and let go a comment that is "less than kind", about certain political figures. My apologies if that have offended someone.

You have never offended Me, I think you have always stated good opinions, I see no reason why you should censor your views.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • robert38-55robert38-55 Senior Member Posts: 3,621 Senior Member
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Well I for one do not feel that way. I have a LOT of contact with folks from other countries on a daily basis and have found that they tend to have an interest in the politics of the USA since in our global economy the effects of bad government in one country (specially ours) are felt all over the world and on a more interesting note they tend to have a different insight about what is going on in the USA based on the perception of their local news etc. I learn a LOT by discussing US politics with my foreign friends.
    Well I for one do not feel that way. I have a LOT of contact with folks from other countries on a daily basis and have found that they tend to have an interest in the politics of the USA since in our global economy the effects of bad government in one country (specially ours) are felt all over the world and on a more interesting note they tend to have a different insight about what is going on in the USA based on the perception of their local news etc. I learn a LOT by discussing US politics with my foreign friends.

I have to agree with Wambli on this one. I too, have had a lot of contact with folks from other countries in the last 1 1/2 years. And to be honest, some of these folks I have talked to are very well informed on both their country's political system and ours. I can say this: When one does talk to someone else from a different country,one gets a new perspective on how US politics and US policy affects other countries. It's kind of nice to hear an opinion and a view point from someone other than the media. With the ongoing events in the Middle East and the current US economic and political situation, I can't help but feel that all foreign nations are watching the US elections this year. We American's bash our politicians all the time,so I don't see the harm if someone else bashes a politician, be it domestic or foreign.
    "It is what it is":usa:
    .... I can't help but feel that all foreign nations are watching the US elections this year. ...

Many years ago, I saw in Peruvian TV a political analist saying, half as a joke, that every 4 years the people of the USA elected the "President of the World". Your elections are always important for the rest of the world, although I had to admit that too many people does not look at you with friendly eyes.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Most of us, particularly the ones who have spent some time in other nations, welcome an insight into how we're viewed by the rest of the world. It's easy to think that the USA is the center of the universe, particularly if that's all we've ever experienced. Being rude to someone from another part of the world displays an incredible amount of arrogance, or ignorance, or both. I never appreciated just how good life here in the US is, until I had the opportunity to observe how folks in other places live. We have a tendency to take our freedom for granted- - - - - -which is a really bad mistake!
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
    I saw in Peruvian TV a political analist saying, half as a joke, that every 4 years the people of the USA elected the "President of the World".
    That's what Obummer thinks he is.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
  • alphasigmookiealphasigmookie Senior Member Posts: 8,788 Senior Member
    airhead wrote: »
    The GOP did it again.

One middle of the road centrist (RHINO, milktoast, liberal, etc.)
    2-4 Conservatives to split the real conservative vote up.

We end up with another "Reach across the isle" kind of guy to run against an even bigger liberal.

I would argue that Romney is not really a RHINO, centrist, liberal etc. at all. The best way to describe him would be a corporatist. He doesn't really care much about social issues or have strong opinions about them, which can actually be a good thing for him in the general election. However he also doesn't care one bit about the average American either. His only priority is to do what is good for his donors which happen to be the top 0.001%. Yes, the 1% is far too inclusive, if you aren't at least as wealthy as he is ($100M+) you don't matter. He is the epitome of the global corporate business elite which is why he has and will continue to have so much trouble connecting with the average American voter. The one thing this election will tell us though is just how important money is in an election. Despite how much he's spent and how generally weak his primary opponents have been, Romney still is having trouble sewing this thing up.
    "Finding out that you have run out of toilet paper is a good example of lack of preparation, buying 10 years worth is silly"
    -DoctorWho
    I would argue that Romney is not really a RHINO, centrist, liberal etc. at all.
    Rhino=dangerous wild animal in Africa. RINO=Republican In Name Only.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    His only priority is to do what is good for his donors which happen to be the top 0.001%. Yes, the 1% is far too inclusive, if you aren't at least as wealthy as he is ($100M+)
    If policies are enabled that benefits the rich, and the result is the creation of a stronger economy and the hiring of more workers, I don't care what he thinks. Your statements remind me of OWS talking points. Besides that, I think your political analysis is all wrong. He is having trouble with the voters in the primaries because the primary voters tend to be more conservative, and many of them don't think he is conservative enough to satisfy them. Beyond that, everything I read in the conservative blogs indicate most of them will support anyone who wins the primary.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
  • alphasigmookiealphasigmookie Senior Member Posts: 8,788 Senior Member
    Hey just copying the spelling from the post I was replying to. I can't be expected to keep track of the correct spelling of all the derogatory terms for non conservatives you guys use.
    "Finding out that you have run out of toilet paper is a good example of lack of preparation, buying 10 years worth is silly"
    -DoctorWho
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,737 Senior Member
    Antonio,
    Thanks for your interest in the U.S. elections.
    But....until you become a voting citizen of this country I (for one) think that you should keep your Peruvian comments about our elected President and the candidates for his office to yourself.
    Respectfully,
    Jim

It is a foolish man that discounts the views of how others see him. The same applies to nations..............
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • AiredaleAiredale Banned Posts: 624 Senior Member
    I'd love to hear what one of our truly great Presidents (Teddy Roosevelt) would have replied to all of you.

And yes, a foolish man disregards others thoughts. (that's called insanity) But a man sure in his views, and that they are right, with the consensus of his peers, presses on.

I respect all nations, but I take offense when forign citizens denigrate our electoral process and the people aspiring for political office in our country.

Jim
    .... I take offense when forign citizens denigrate our electoral process and the people aspiring for political office in our country.

I must admit that many times, people supposed to be intelligent adopts a "I HATE THE USA" point of view by default, as if hating something or someone was some sort of "badge of honor". Also, a lot of criticism against the USA and your political figures comes from foreign left wing journalists that will always say "if you do it, then you are evil...if you don't do it....you are more evil". Most of the people I know simply never took the time to understand that your political process is DIFFERENT to ours, so they usually accept as valid whatever they read in the newspapers.

I must mention too that a lot of damage to the USA image in the third world is the fault of middle level officers in the USA government. For instance, during our last presidential election, the USA Ambassador made some unnecesary comments at the worst possible moment. As a result, the candidates that would be more friendly to the USA lost points in the polls, and the most probable anti-USA candidate moved from 5th to the 1rst place....(and finally won....thanks a lot, Mrs Ambassador...)

I can mention dozens of situations in which, thanks to some hare-brained analysis of the political situation in South America, made by a middle level officer that seems to have learned about us by watching the saturday morning cartoons, the USA government shoot itself in the foot.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,930 Senior Member
    Antonio and Lonewolf, Romney ran for office in the People's Republic of Massachusetts, which outside of California is as liberal as it gets here in the USA. He had to play liberal to get elected. However, he is a businessman at heart and I feel once the reins of liberalism are cast away, he may make a pretty decent prez. Only time will tell. However, we Americans are strapped in this one. We have no choice. For me, it's whoever wins the Republican nomination gets my vote. I don't buy into that voting for third party crap, because that is like throwing your vote away and saying Come on back in here Obama! Because that's the fastest way to get him re-elected. We cannot afford Obama for another term. We have been very lucky that nothing has happened to any of the five conservative justices on the Supreme Court. In the next four years there's a better than even chance one of them will retire, die (Heaven Forbid) or come into bad health where he has to retire. If this happens with Obama in office, He will surely appoint another liberal the likes of his first two he picked. Then it will be a matter of time before a second amendment case comes before the court and this could very well be the end of our gun rights. This would be the end of our country as we know it.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • ghostsniper1ghostsniper1 Banned Posts: 2,645 Senior Member
    I'd love to hear what one of our truly great Presidents (Teddy Roosevelt) would have replied to all of you.

And yes, a foolish man disregards others thoughts. (that's called insanity) But a man sure in his views, and that they are right, with the consensus of his peers, presses on.

I respect all nations, but I take offense when forign citizens denigrate our electoral process and the people aspiring for political office in our country. Jim
    I dont feel that Antonio did any such thing. And just to add, for Christs sakes Alpha, who are you gonna vote for this year, the left or right? If yoy say the left, lets just do each other a favor and agree to stay home so that we don't waste our time because Im gonna cancel your vote anyways. How much longer can you make excuses for the masses of idiots?
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    I am glad I have spent so much time in other Countries, at least My view is not insular or provincial to make Me arrogant enough to censor other peoples views and opinions on our political process.

It will be a sad day indeed when we can't abide public scrutiny and criticism of our Government.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 15,351 Senior Member
    It think American politics matter to Peru. For the Peru/US free trade agreement that Bush signed into law... McCain, Obama, Clinton all supported it. Chris Dodd, Joe Biden, and Ron Paul did not.... All of these people were presidential candidates when that was going on four years ago. To tell a guy from Peru to butt out (even though he wasn't butting in)... Whatever dude.:bang:
  • grumpycompuprofgrumpycompuprof New Member Posts: 14 New Member
    DoctorWho wrote: »
    I am glad I have spent so much time in other Countries, at least My view is not insular or provincial to make Me arrogant enough to censor other peoples views and opinions on our political process.

It will be a sad day indeed when we can't abide public scrutiny and criticism of our Government.

Thank you for your statement after all, isn't that what free speech is all about? I'm not a citizen either, but chose to live in the US and pay my taxes (income, property, and other purchases). So just because I'm a foreigner does that mean I am not allowed to complain and comment about the people who will work with my taxes and their salaries are paid from them? I beg to differ - while I'm not allowed to vote, I can and will still voice my opinion and encourage the people eligible to vote to do their homework before going to the polling stations.

The comment above about 'foreigners to butt out' earlier in this thread irked me for quite some time now. Politics is no longer an isolated platform. Assuming we are talking about city or county government, I'd wholeheartedly agree, but we are talking about the POTUS here. This elected official, based on the way the system and his position are set up, is more likely to make wider impacting international politics sooner than influencing and impacting change here at home. And if you are a true believer in the US and what it stands for, then you will allow everyone to exercise first amendment rights, being a citizen or not, because freedom of speech is something guaranteed in most civilized countries' constitution.
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,737 Senior Member

I respect all nations, but I take offense when forign citizens denigrate our electoral process and the people aspiring for political office in our country.

Jim

Far from denigrating your political process, I actually admire it. What does concern me is the 'flavour' of the candidates that are successful. And I figure that I have a stake in what goes on within your govt and the decisions that they make which affect the state of your economy seeing as how 40%+ of my business is in exports to the USA.

If the USA has a strong economy it can mean the difference between my business surviving or going under, the same way that things like earthquakes/tsunami's in Japan can affect me. Last year I damn near lost my shirt due to both the Japanese situation and the state of your economy so ( with respect to your views) dont tell me that I should butt out of this thread or indeed any thread that affects my life.
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
    Teach wrote: »
    Most of us, particularly the ones who have spent some time in other nations, welcome an insight into how we're viewed by the rest of the world. It's easy to think that the USA is the center of the universe, particularly if that's all we've ever experienced. Being rude to someone from another part of the world displays an incredible amount of arrogance, or ignorance, or both. I never appreciated just how good life here in the US is, until I had the opportunity to observe how folks in other places live. We have a tendency to take our freedom for granted- - - - - -which is a really bad mistake!
    Jerry

You got that right Teach!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I must admit that many times, people supposed to be intelligent adopts a "I HATE THE USA" point of view by default, as if hating something or someone was some sort of "badge of honor". Also, a lot of criticism against the USA and your political figures comes from foreign left wing journalists that will always say "if you do it, then you are evil...if you don't do it....you are more evil". Most of the people I know simply never took the time to understand that your political process is DIFFERENT to ours, so they usually accept as valid whatever they read in the newspapers.

I must mention too that a lot of damage to the USA image in the third world is the fault of middle level officers in the USA government. For instance, during our last presidential election, the USA Ambassador made some unnecesary comments at the worst possible moment. As a result, the candidates that would be more friendly to the USA lost points in the polls, and the most probable anti-USA candidate moved from 5th to the 1rst place....(and finally won....thanks a lot, Mrs Ambassador...)

I can mention dozens of situations in which, thanks to some hare-brained analysis of the political situation in South America, made by a middle level officer that seems to have learned about us by watching the saturday morning cartoons, the USA government shoot itself in the foot.

Some good reading LoneWolf Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have adopted a personaly policy which I took from a Star Wars movie: "Just because a person can speak, doesn't make them intelligent." Case in point is our new media especially when the say a revolver is a semi-auto handgun. Look through the pages and time of history and one can find both high ranking and mid-level officials, who have made comments that have either had personal ramifications and repreminds on them, or totally got them executed. George S. Patton,Marie Antoinette,Earl Lauer Butz(Former Secretary of Agriculture under Richard Nixon), Franklin Graham (Reverand Billy Graham's son) Hillary R. Clinton, Nancy Pelosi, Al Gore,etc. etc.
    The plain ole truth is this: America was looked up too, after our Revolutionary War, on up until about 1967 or so. During that time I would say that about 98% of the world loved us, and what we stood for and what we had and accomplished. Now all that has changed. I get the feeling that most of the other countries on the Planet can't stand us, and don't want us in their Country,not to mention meddling around with other country's politics, and military. The USA has never had a strong Foreign Policy and now I don't see that we ever will,at this particular point in time.

Jim

Teddy Roosevelt would have said this: " Walk softly and carry a big stick." It's not our electoral process that's in question here it our Leadership we haven't had for the last 4 or 5 decades.
    Hey just copying the spelling from the post I was replying to. I can't be expected to keep track of the correct spelling of all the derogatory terms for non conservatives you guys use.
    I don't agree with you on much, but I do think you're smart enough to know the difference between Rhino and RINO and post accordingly.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 26,188 Senior Member
    Rhino=dangerous wild animal in Africa. RINO=Republican In Name Only.

Hmmmmm...........
    Rhino: dangerous wild animal that can't see past the end of it's nose, charges off blindly after unseen enemies, highly destructive to flora and fauna in the area, and leaves big piles of poop wherever it goes.

RINO: a dangerous politician that can't see past the end of it's nose, charges off blindly after unseen enemies, highly destructive to the flora, fauna, and particularly the Constitution, and leaves big piles of smelly poop (campaign speeches) wherever it goes.

I think the rhino and the RINO are pretty much equivalent, and both should be left in zoos and large brushy plains where they can do little harm. :tooth:

Interesting to hear what others in other countries think of our elections and leaders. Antonio and Lonewolf, and all the others that live outside the U.S. give a perspective of how we're seen that should be listened to. Good chance to make corrections to bad behavior, and to do better where we're doing good.

As Robert Burns wrote in the poem "To a Louse":
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us
    To see oursels as ithers see us!
    It wad frae mony a blunder free us,
    An' foolish notion:
    What airs in dress an' gait wad lea'e us,
    An' ev'n devotion!
    If the U.S. Congress was put in charge of the Sahara Desert, there would be a shortage of sand in under six months.