Yet another forum elk hunt topic

JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior MemberPosts: 6,553 Senior Member
Who's in shape, who's working to get in shape, who's still thinking about it, and who is just planning to show up as is?

I'm guilty of making hunts in the high country while totally out of shape. So far, I've managed to get away with it, but it sure makes the going tough, and there's places I can only look at and wonder about. I have decided to do something about it this year, and have been working out since the first of the year. I'm confident that if I keep it up, I'll be in much better shape by October and can handle the rigors of the hunt better.

And, just in case you have forgot, we'll be hunting at 7-8 thousand feet and higher, in rough, steep country.
Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.

Replies

• snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,854 Senior Member
    JerryBobCo wrote: »
    Who's in shape, who's working to get in shape, who's still thinking about it, and who is just planning to show up as is?

I'm guilty of making hunts in the high country while totally out of shape. So far, I've managed to get away with it, but it sure makes the going tough, and there's places I can only look at and wonder about. I have decided to do something about it this year, and have been working out since the first of the year. I'm confident that if I keep it up, I'll be in much better shape by October and can handle the rigors of the hunt better.

And, just in case you have forgot, we'll be hunting at 7-8 thousand feet and higher, in rough, steep country.

I try to walk 40 minutes to an hour at least 4 days a week. As for jogging or running, forget it, it ain't happening. My Neuropathized left leg gets all tied up when i get much over a fast walk. I just don't have the nerves and blood flow in that leg to do it. But I figure if I keep my weight down and keep walking and working out, I'll be able to make it. One thing you highlanders don't realize or don't realize anymore, is that if you spend three or four days at altitude before you go off on the hunt, you will be acclimated to the altitude a lot better. That's what we used to do when we'd go to NM on the mountain treks. It helped. However, no amount of walking or running is going to get a flatlander from Sea Level ready for 8,000 feet+ altitude. There will always be some pain involved.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 10,927 Senior Member
    I am getting with the program slowly but surely, I have dropped 10#s and swam some, I will be walking and biking now that the snow has melted, In March:yikes:!
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,768 Senior Member
    My new job is much more physical then my last, on top of my working out, I'll be good to go ;)
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 7,041 Senior Member
    Get yourself in shape Jerry, and quit pestering the masses. When they have a stroke and die on the mountainside, you can make off with their sweet rifles, scopes, binoculars, packs, GPS, rangefinders, Gore Tex, boots, knives. . .
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 6,553 Senior Member
    Bigslug wrote: »
    Get yourself in shape Jerry, and quit pestering the masses. When they have a stroke and die on the mountainside, you can make off with their sweet rifles, scopes, binoculars, packs, GPS, rangefinders, Gore Tex, boots, knives. . .

As long as Snake doesn't bring a .270, it sounds like a plan!

Thanks. :)
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
    Aww, no fair. My .270 so wanted to come... Actually I have two Magnum Rifles that I didn't have when this was first being kicked around. Now I have a 7 Rem. Mag and a 300 WBY. .270s are for deer!!! (Damn, did I say that???)
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,508 Senior Member
    I'm losing some weight, but no workouts, yet. Just crossed, 200, heading for 185-190. I'm trying to get a treadmill, bought one, actually. Just gotta get it picked up.
    It'll be heavy construction season here soon, that keeps me in pretty good shape. I'm usually on my feet, and working hard 10-12 hours a day.
    I haven't had any trouble with altitude, yet.
    Last hunt, camp was at 9200', I did fine.
    Yeah Joe, but from what I've seen age has a lot to do with what altitude can do to you. I've seen flatlander kids get out of the car and start running around like a pack of monkeys. But yet I have seen their adult leaders 40+ years old get out of the same car and walk a few feet and have to sit down and blow. Admitedly many were overweight and smoked and just generally out of shape, but when you're young, you're in much better shape in general and a lot more active.

What is it about most adults past forty that tells them now that they are past 40, they can sit down and take it easy??? LOL!!! This is the killer. Stay active. Don't fall into this trap. Active people generally live longer and happier lives.

Although I will probably suffer some, I will survive and have a good hunt. But I'm not taking any chances. I walked fast for 40 minutes yesterday and then hit the machines for another 30 minutes to tone muscles.

I have a workout regemine. I walk 40+ minutes four days a week minimum, then I work weight machines. for 3 days I do light weights and many reps. Then on the fourth day I'll do 5 reps with the most weight I can pull. Then another 3 days of light weights, many reps. This builds and tones muscle. And together with the walking, also burns fat.

What would be the most ideal for me down here would be to do a few weekends in the higher elevations in the Hill Country (That area north and west of Austin and San Antonio). However, the elevation there is only about 1,000 Ft. above sea level so it's not really high elevation that will help acclimate a flatlander to the mountains. However, I do believe the better shape you are in, the faster you will acclimate to a higher elevation.
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 7,045 Senior Member
    Not going to be with the group, but intend to elk hunt this year.
    I have dropped 8 pounds in the last week and have 27 more to go.
    I have enjoyed the food trough for too long. Mainly cutting food amounts and staying away from junk food more.
    I am already looking forward to hearing about each of your hunts:applause:
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • 104RFAST104RFAST Senior Member Posts: 1,265 Senior Member
    Visited the Jackson Hole area this week, we saw an estimated 7000 elk in the preserve a couple days ago, today the herd was much smaller. Looks like they are moving towards the high country. Also ran into this guy up at Jackson lake.
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,508 Senior Member
    104RFAST wrote: »
    Visited the Jackson Hole area this week, we saw an estimated 7000 elk in the preserve a couple days ago, today the herd was much smaller. Looks like they are moving towards the high country. Also ran into this guy up at Jackson lake.

Great picture! Man, would I like to put a bullet in that SOB.

Just got my Petersen's Hunting mag today, talks about how wolves, nationwide, kill 450 deer a DAY!

Sure glad we brought them back.
    jbohio wrote: »
    Great picture! Man, would I like to put a bullet in that SOB.

Just got my Petersen's Hunting mag today, talks about how wolves, nationwide, kill 450 deer a DAY!

Sure glad we brought them back.

Yeah I agree. Next thing we can bring back is Screw Worms. ARRRGGGG!!!!! Damn Tree Hugging Bunny Hugging fools!!!