Traffic stop in Ohio, ugly abuse of CCW holder

I just caught this over on Hot Air. The embedded Youtube video shows a really ugly confrontation. The cop actually threatens to murder the CCW holder on live camera, partner is silent, goes nothing to restrain him.
The officer is already suspended with pay pending intternal affairs investigation. Probably a civil liberties lawsuit on the way.

http://hotair.com/archives/2011/07/21/video-police-officer-threatens-concealed-carry-driver-with-execution-beating/

Replies

• CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Posts: 4,563 Senior Member
    Wow. Just wow. If some cops are brazen enough to do this on camera, what do you think happens when they are off line? It is very telling that the partner did nothing to difuse the situation.
    The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.

Ayn Rand
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,898 Senior Member
    The guy did not inform right off, that is clear.
    The LEO did go off the deep end a bit too.
    I'm sure the other LEO had been in situations before with his partner and knew to keep his mouth shut except for business.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,261 Senior Member
    One of the comments was right on the money, IMHO. It mentioned "roid rage". That cop has all the earmarks of a chronic juicer.
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • bobbyrlf3bobbyrlf3 Senior Member Posts: 2,465 Senior Member
    That guy has no business being a cop. People like him make it hard for people to respect police officers.
    Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.
    NN wrote: »
    The guy did not inform right off, that is clear.
    The LEO did go off the deep end a bit too.
    I'm sure the other LEO had been in situations before with his partner and knew to keep his mouth shut except for business.

How can you defend this LEO's actions?
    Mr Wiggly was abusive before anyone had a chance to say anything. CCP tried to inform but was told to shut up. The deep end a bit? Only a bit? He threatened to kill him, cave his head in, and beat the woman in the car if he ever saw her again. The partner is possibly a worse cop than Mr. Wiggly. The partner's BUSINESS is to uphold the law, even if that means forcing Mr. Wiggly to stand down.

Ayn Rand
    Teach wrote: »
    One of the comments was right on the money, IMHO. It mentioned "roid rage". That cop has all the earmarks of a chronic juicer.
    Jerry

Any incident on my job results in a drug test.
    I want to see cops tested when there are accusations of abuse. It will help clear the innocent, and bury the guilty.

Ayn Rand
  • coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 6,352 Senior Member
    You hear about stuff like this, but this one is right out there for everybody to see and hear. I wonder what joe CCW will do on his first day as the new owner of Canton? Seriously, that cop needs to be done. Not soon, not immediately, but yesterday if not the day before.
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
  • JeeperJeeper Senior Member Posts: 2,952 Senior Member
    Wow. All I can say is wow. It's bad officers like this one that give all the rest of us a bad name. :-( I hope he loses his job and CJSTC revokes his license.... probably won't happen though. He'll get a suspension and anger management or something like that most likely. He had NO right to arrest the guy, and all the threats prove to me that he shouldn't be on the street. He obviously has serious mental issues. Thank goodness the dash camera caught everything.

Luis
    Wielding the Hammer of Thor first requires you to lift and carry the Hammer of Thor. - Bigslug
  • robert38-55robert38-55 Senior Member Posts: 3,621 Senior Member
    When I see videos like this or read article on this subject "Abuse by Leo's" It just continues my disstain and distrust for LEO's and the Local,State,Federal government employees. I know one bad apple doesn't spoil the whole bunch but this is becoming more and more common place every day in this country.. I am thinking that this particular officer has either a huge alcohol or drug problem or both or is experiencing martial or girlfriend problems, or quite possibly has been denied a promotion... Never the less it doen't justify or excuse his behavoir toward the motorist and doesn't excuse the fact the the officer made a verbal theat to murder the driver and threaten to inflict bodily harm on the driver.If this officer get away with this( and I will be following this story) totally scott free, this is the straw that will totally destroy my last 1mm of faith I have had in LEO's.
    "It is what it is":usa:
  • NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior Member Posts: 4,324 Senior Member
    The whole thing stinks ... I will not defend either here but will say the LEO went WAY OVER THE EDGE ...

The driver I my opinion was not just giving someone a ride ... it just seems to far fetched. He was there for drugs or a little piece. Now did that entitle the LEO to go off like he did ... NO! The was no reason what so ever to act in such a unprofessional manner. He never really gave the driver a chance to declare BUT the driver was also very passive.

The LEO was a fool for not securing ALL those in or around the car first. At night with what seems to be shady dealings (drug or prositution or both) going on all persons should have been secured BEFORE anything else was done, I would think that is SOP. That would have given the driver a chance to declare he was carrying.

All the threats made on tape to the driver were way over the top ... some lawyer could have a field day with his one because the officer was on some type a rant. Again with all the cameras and such LEOs need to act in a professional manner or they will risk lossing more than the arrest.
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
  • PFDPFD Senior Member Posts: 1,202 Senior Member
    The cops actions are indefensible. Period.

If officer idiot's commanding officer doesn't fire him immediately then the people of Canton need to go after the commanding officer for keeping the citizens at risk of bodily harm, death and an unnecessary exposure to a lawsuit.

It's like the judge that allows a repeat DUI offender back on the street. They BOTH need to take responsibility.
    That's all I got.

Paul
  • PFDPFD Senior Member Posts: 1,202 Senior Member
    Well someone made the right decision.

http://ohioccw.org/201107214955/cantonpd.html

"UPDATE 7/22/2011: Canton Police announced Thursday that the officer was relieved of all duties in June following an internal investigation complaint filed in this matter."
    That's all I got.

Paul
  • ghostsniper1ghostsniper1 Banned Posts: 2,645 Senior Member
    I have to say, the driver of the vehicle has alot more self control than I would have. Handcuffs or not..... after being talked to like that, I would have come unleashed. Just watching that turned me red as a tomatoe.
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 9,459 Senior Member
    The whole thing makes no sense. The very first thing the LEO says is, ''We're going to pull over a CCW licencee.'' Then when they pull him over, they ignore the driver? That HAS to be intentional. Then he yells about, ''You (his partner) were in that car with a gun, and he didn't say anything!'' Acting all mad...... They knew who they were pulling over before he got into the back of the car (without asking)....

The guy knew the hooker from when he drove a taxi, and was giving her a ride. Don't think there is a law that says you can't be friends with a prostitiute....
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • bruchibruchi Senior Member Posts: 2,582 Senior Member
    IMO LEO's carry a badge and a gun when on duty, that is a huge responsibility, they MUST keep their cool under stress and this started very far from a stress full situation, he also IMO put himself in danger by not at least having his hand on his gun when he approached the car, perhaps wait for a report on the plate before approaching a vehicle at night in a low traffic area with 3 occupants?

He "recognized" the woman as a prostitute and made up his mind of what he was dealing with right there and then leaving no room for other possibilities, getting himself and his partner killed in the process one of them, they where lucky. There where 3 people in the car and how is he to know that the 2 men or all 3 where not armed and dangerous criminals ready to open fire on him and his partner as soon as they slipped off?

Bullying the driver to shut up made the situation unnecessarily stress full for all involved, he clearly wanted to PLAY the part of the tough guy there, the LEO was not worried for his safety as he stuck half his body in the back of the car while the driver sat there, no clue where the other 2 people in the car where at that moment or where his parter was, he clearly had made his mind of being belligerent before he exited his patrol. LEO in this case has some serious issues that should warrant taking away his badge and gun for good and while at it take his partner's too who most probably knows his lack of temper and chooses to stay back and not get involved.
    If this post is non welcomed, I can always give you a recipe for making "tostones".
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,898 Senior Member
    CaliFFL wrote: »
    How can you defend this LEO's actions?
    Mr Wiggly was abusive before anyone had a chance to say anything. CCP tried to inform but was told to shut up. The deep end a bit? Only a bit? He threatened to kill him, cave his head in, and beat the woman in the car if he ever saw her again. The partner is possibly a worse cop than Mr. Wiggly. The partner's BUSINESS is to uphold the law, even if that means forcing Mr. Wiggly to stand down.
    Not defending anything the cop was off the deep end and the CCW guy waited too long and was concicted.
    You have to do it right and right away, not wait around to notify the LEO you have a permit and a gun; period.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • mkk41mkk41 Banned Posts: 1,932 Senior Member
    What amazes me is that this tin-plated lunatic raves on , knowing full well that he was being recorded. Or do PDs usually erase any dash-cam footage that would embarrass it.
    "There are no victims , only volunteers!"
    Maybe his buddies were tired of covering up for him and "forgot" to erase the video. The blue wall of silence only stretches so far.
    Jerry
  • BPsniperBPsniper Banned Posts: 1,961 Senior Member
    When I see videos like this or read article on this subject "Abuse by Leo's" It just continues my disstain and distrust for LEO's and the Local,State,Federal government employees..
    Aww, does this mean we can't be friends anymore? I don't know what I would do if we couldn't be friends. :-)By the way, I'm glad that cop got fired. He deserved it.
    "....the true general purpose big-game cartridges used in this country come in but two calibers, .30 and 7mm. (the .270 Win. is merely a slightly aberrant 7mm whose bullets are .007" undersize.) -Finn Aagaard - American Rifleman, December 1986
  • robert38-55robert38-55 Senior Member Posts: 3,621 Senior Member
    BPsniper wrote: »
    Aww, does this mean we can't be friends anymore? I don't know what I would do if we couldn't be friends. :-)By the way, I'm glad that cop got fired. He deserved it.

.................. I have again posted to broad a subject... I should have just said " I would not want to be stopped by that cop" I know one bad apple doesn't spoil the whole bunch.
    BP... You being of higher caliber and much more intelligent than "That Officer" I would be proud to be stopped by you.....for a traffic violation.
    "It is what it is":usa:
  • JeeperJeeper Senior Member Posts: 2,952 Senior Member
    The VAST majority of the police force are NOT like this. I repeat.. the VAST majority aren't ANYTHING like that fool. Unfortunately, you don't hear about the other 999,997 traffic stops that were conducted professionally that day... just the 2 or 3 that went south. I'm glad he was let go, IMO he definitely doesn't have the right attitude for any sort of position that involves authority over the general public.

Luis
    Wielding the Hammer of Thor first requires you to lift and carry the Hammer of Thor. - Bigslug
    Was he actually fired,or just "suspended pending investigation"? I'm betting he's back on the job by now, either on the same police force, or one nearby. Once the public outrage dies down a little, he will probably slide right back into the same old habits. He's going to be camera-shy now, so he doesn't get caught in the act anymore, or he will just be sure to manipulate the situation where he controls the story. Dead "suspects" tell no tales!
    Jerry
    Jeeper wrote: »
    The VAST majority of the police force are NOT like this. I repeat.. the VAST majority aren't ANYTHING like that fool.

We keep hearing this line over and over every time a cop gets caught abusing the people that pay the salary. What burns me the most, is that "good" cops know who the volatile abusive holes are. They stand by and do nothing.
    Until police organizations start effectively purging the bad eggs, citizens have to make the assumption that they are all “bad cops” until proven otherwise.

Ayn Rand
  • BullgatorBullgator Member Posts: 393 Member
    I have to say, the driver of the vehicle has alot more self control than I would have. Handcuffs or not..... after being talked to like that, I would have come unleashed. Just watching that turned me red as a tomatoe.

Yeah, that was hard to watch. I'm sure I would have talked myself into a good beating if it were me. Thank God he's gone. Makes you wonder how he made it as far as he did. I have a hard time believing this is the first time he went off like that.
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 15,053 Senior Member
    That cop was a jerkwad! What he did was inexcusable. I hope he is facing charges for that.

Most cops I have met are some cool dudes-- meaning they handle stuff that would make my head explode, but do it in a cool and professional manner. There are some crappy contractors in my business. It gives us all a bad name, so I really can't paint with a broad brush from this incident. But man, that guy was a douchebag!

Did anyone else notice that he also had one of those "Glock 40's"? It seems to be the weapon of choice for jackass LEO's.
    If he's been on those steroids for very long, the "40 Short and Weak" probably matches the rest of his equipment!
    :jester:
    Jerry
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 15,053 Senior Member
    Teach wrote: »
    If he's been on those steroids for very long...

It did look like roid rage didn't it? He was all piss and vinegar and no brains-- while saying how stupid the guy he pulled over was! He made some dumb moves that could have gotten him and his partner killed.
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    Re: psycho cop
    This is what I call a comedy of errors and this encounter was doomed from the start, the Officer obviously Anti gun / CCW, the LEO never gave the guy a chance to inform him of the CCW, plus the Officer lumps all citizens into the potential criminal category.

The guy also contributes (Contributory neglect) by being in the wrong place and time with the wrong type of people, We may wanna believe in freedom, but picking up prostitutes and pimps is potentially dangerous esp in known drug areas.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
    It's a good thing the guy wasn't a gangbanger with an attitude. There would have been at least one dead cop, and possibly both of them. The driver had plenty of opportunity to draw and fire when the guy was totally incapable of defending himself. Not everybody is intimidated by fuss and bluster.
    Jerry
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    Very true, that LEO should have learned better methods.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996