Home Main Category Clubhouse

Remember The Alamo................

Big ChiefBig Chief Senior MemberPosts: 32,995 Senior Member
OK, Mrs Chief and went to San Antonio for the weekend. We met our youngest daughter there. here are some pics I took. We stayed in the Crockett Hotel about a stones through to a wall on the Alamo. Some pics from this morning.

Me here, Mrs Chief says I look grumpy.

IMG-20120325-00125.jpg

Mrs Chief with her ever present Kindle!

IMG-20120325-00115.jpg

View from hotel room window, very close to a wall on the Alamo.

IMG-20120325-00114.jpg

View of one side of the historic Menger hotel.

IMG-20120324-00113.jpg

Drawing of what it looked like.

IMG-20120325-00118.jpg

Other pics of the Alamo grounds.

IMG-20120325-00119.jpg

IMG-20120325-00121.jpg

IMG-20120325-00123.jpg

One entrance to the Crockett hotel where we stayed.

IMG-20120325-00124.jpg
It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!

Replies

• Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    OK, we went to The Market and I liked this "Worry Dolls Cross", I don't know why, but it struck my fancy. It was made in Guatemala.

IMG-20120325-00127.jpg
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,642 Senior Member
    Nice pics' but, Chief you always look grumpy.
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
    Except when I'm a shootin................:tooth::guns:
  • SlanteyedshootistSlanteyedshootist Senior Member Posts: 3,947 Senior Member
    What a great experience. Thanks for posting the pictures.

Did you get to visit the basement of the Alamo?
    The answer to 1984 is 1776
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 3,830 Senior Member
    Pretty cool place. I got to see it last year but got there to late to go inside. Did manage to get a rare photo with no one in front of the place to clutter up the photo.
    [IMG][/img]019.jpg

My wifes sister and her husband live in San Antonio so hope to make it inside next trip down.

Sako
    No, the line was about a 100 folks for the tour almost back to the street (no shown in the pic). I'm trying to remember if they showed us a basement last time I went, but don't recall seeing one.
    A friend suggested the best way to travel to San Antonio from the Fort Hood area was to go to Lampasas on highway 190 and get on highway 281 and after returning via I-35, I tend to agree with him. We came back through Austin to drop our daughter off to visit friends.

Man, I -35 from San Antonio to Austin and actually all the way to Georgetown was thick with traffic and "Developed", very little open spaces without a strip mall or housing development adjacent to the Interstate. Of course, we had the Austin/Round Rock inevitable slowdown. even though the accident was in Southbound lanes the Northbound came to a crawl. I was glad to exit to highway 195 to Fort hood/Killeen just past Georgetown.
  • rbsivleyrbsivley Senior Member Posts: 1,166 Senior Member
    I would really like to visit this place. Nice pics. Most old men do look grumpy.
    Randy

Rank does not concur privileges. It imposes responsibility. Author unknown

8 For by grace are ye saved through faith, and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God 9 not by works, lest any man should boast.
    Ephesians 2:8-9
    rbsivley wrote: »
    I would really like to visit this place. Nice pics. Most old men do look grumpy.

Hey, I ain't but 58. I think this getting old business is fer the birds................:tooth:
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 7,762 Senior Member
    Thanks for sharing, Chief.

I've been to the Alamo once, and I'm very glad I have made the trip. I hope to go back and visit again one of these days.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • wolf049wolf049 Member Posts: 217 Member
    rbsivley wrote: »
    I would really like to visit this place. Nice pics. Most Chiefs ARE grumpy.

Fixed it for ya. I don't ever remember seeing a "happy" Chief in the 23 yrs of my service.
    Nice pic there Chief.
    "To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
    - Richard Henry Lee
  • 41magnut41magnut Senior Member Posts: 1,192 Senior Member
    Always good to see "the Shrine of The Republic"

I haven't been to San Antonio in a few years. I shall correct that shortfall while SS3 is at Fort Sam.

Nice pictures>
    "The .30-06 is never a mistake." Townsend Whelen :iwo:
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,684 Senior Member
    Looks like a fun trip, that area is nice. Don't worry about the mrs too much, a laxative will probably fix that grumpy look! :jester:
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
  • JeeperJeeper Senior Member Posts: 2,954 Senior Member
    Awesome. It's been nearly 30 years since I was there last. Going to have to take the wife and kids on a Texas trip one of these days.

Luis
    Wielding the Hammer of Thor first requires you to lift and carry the Hammer of Thor. - Bigslug