Another place to be careful while Carrying a Concealed Weapon...

JayhawkerJayhawker ModeratorPosts: 14,834 Senior Member
Watched a guy get a pistol confiscated on "Navajo Cops" this evening...Guy is stopped on the interstate as it passes through the reservation for speeding. In spite of the fact that CCW is legal in Utah (where the guy was coming from) and in New Mexico (where the guy was going to)...it's apparently illegal to do so on the Navajo Reservation...reciprocity be damned... The Tribal Officer asks the guy if he's got paperwork proving the gun is his (who carries that?)...and since he didn't the officer issued him a speeding ticket and sent him on his way...without his handgun...

Lesson Learned: You really need to be cognizant of gun laws not only in the locale you are coming from and the locale you are going to but EVERYWHERE in between...
Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"

Replies

• TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,258 Senior Member
    That puts a new twist on the term "highway robbery"!
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,897 Senior Member
    Actually because of past Base gun regs, I do have proof of ownership available in our vehicles; though I agree most people would not. I expect a copy of a sales receipt would be easy enough to take on a trip.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • ghostsniper1ghostsniper1 Banned Posts: 2,645 Senior Member
    Dude hould have rolled on until he was out of the reservation.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 14,834 Senior Member
    Dude hould have rolled on until he was out of the reservation.

Makes perfect sense...turn a traffic stop into a fleeing and eluding felony and have the State Cops nail you as you exit the res....Yeah...I like that idea!!!! Remind me to take you on my next cross-country trip...maybe we could rob some convenience stores!
    NN wrote: »
    Actually because of past Base gun regs, I do have proof of ownership available in our vehicles; though I agree most people would not. I expect a copy of a sales receipt would be easy enough to take on a trip.

I have no sales receipts for any of my guns...just not a thing I keep. They get entered into my gun log when I buy them but I don't carry that around either...
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    Makes perfect sense...turn a traffic stop into a fleeing and eluding felony and have the State Cops nail you as you exit the res....Yeah...I like that idea!!!! Remind me to take you on my next cross-country trip...maybe we could rob some convenience stores!
    Sounds like a plan. Im game....
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    Honestly, I didn't know the state took over once out of the reservation. I thought they were soverign???
  • REDDEVILREDDEVIL Member Posts: 153 Member
    Honestly, I didn't know the state took over once out of the reservation. I thought they were soverign???
    Tribal sovereignty is the inherent authority of indigenous tribes to govern themselves within the borders of the United States of America. The federal government recognizes tribal nations as "domestic dependent nations" and has established a number of laws attempting to clarify the relationship between the federal, state, and tribal governments. The Constitution and later federal laws grant local sovereignty to tribal nations, yet do not grant full sovereignty equivalent to foreign nations, hence the term "domestic dependent nations". Tribal and pueblo governments launch far-reaching economic ventures, operate growing law enforcement agencies and adopt codes to govern conduct within their jurisdiction but the United States retains control over the scope of tribal law making. Laws adopted by Native American governments must also pass the Secretarial Review of the Department of Interior through the Bureau of Indian Affairs. So in most instances, tribal laws are inherently federal crimes too. Only the federal government can do business or interact politically with tribal nations. In fact I grew up on the Hopi reservation, which is completely surrounded by the Navajo Nation (which is comparable in size to West Virginia).

Typically, here's the way it works...if you are a non-native and commit an infraction/crime and are arrested by tribal police, they can't hold you on the reservation so they turn you over to the nearest LE agency off the reservation...Tribal Police also (generally) have mutual aid agreements with surrounding LE agencies

Also...REDDEVIL...great post! Quite informative!
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/tribal_law_ccw.pdf

35 pages of Legal with links.

If you are not sure, the best thing is to have firearms unloaded in the trunk.

I have heard accounts of vehicle confiscations of people buying scrap metal on reservations without tribal council permission.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • mythaeusmythaeus Senior Member Posts: 831 Senior Member
    Thanks for raising the issue Jayhawker. I remember seeing that episode a while back (I only stopped while channel surfing because it was gun-related).

I'm with Doc. I'll keep them unloaded and in the trunk and follow interstate commerce law when going through tribal land.

Al
    "In a controversy, the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth and have begun striving for ourselves." - Siddhartha Gautama
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,258 Senior Member
    This practice sounds about as stinky as Louisiana cops stopping interstate travelers and confiscating any cash they find in their possession on trumped-up "drug trafficking/money laundering" charges. I wonder how big the reservation cottage industry is in quasi-legally confiscating CCW's?
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
    It is something to look into.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
    Typically, here's the way it works...if you are a non-native and commit an infraction/crime and are arrested by tribal police, they can't hold you on the reservation so they turn you over to the nearest LE agency off the reservation...Tribal Police also (generally) have mutual aid agreements with surrounding LE agencies

You are right, that is typically the way it is handled, but there are instances when they can hold you but the government limits it to 6 months and $5000, and it is a rare occurrence for them to decide to do so.
  • pardogpardog Member Posts: 423 Member
    Good thread! I've driven through reservations and never even given a thought to the fact that my CCW would not be valid.
    Perhaps it is a type of pay back.
  • SlanteyedshootistSlanteyedshootist Senior Member Posts: 3,947 Senior Member
    :rotflmao::applause: Classic!
    The answer to 1984 is 1776
  • BakermanBakerman Member Posts: 382 Member
    You could just don't speed.
    Bakerman formerly known as Bakerman
    Much like the speed traps, I am sure they will find a way to stop folks, and I am sure they target NRA stickers and other hunting / gun logo stickers, they probably have figured out that lots of anglo folks have CCW.
    DoctorWho wrote: »
    Much like the speed traps, I am sure they will find a way to stop folks, and I am sure they target NRA stickers and other hunting / gun logo stickers, they probably have figured out that lots of anglo folks have CCW.
    Be glad that they we have come up with a less violent way to get our firesticks from the palefaces:wink:
    335HomelandSecurityGeronimo_sBandFly_1886__small.jpg?1231712887