Home Main Category Hunting

Mushrooms

HAWKENHAWKEN Senior MemberLogansport Indiana, by way of Hohenwald Tennessee by way of Cocoa FloridaPosts: 1,720 Senior Member
Has anyone found any morel mushrooms yet ? They are absolutely delicious to eat, floured and fried in butter. I hope to be out hunting them this week end, here in the greenest state in the land of the free.......Robin
I don't often talk to people that voted for Obama, but when I do I order large fries!
Life member of the American Legion, the VFW, the NRA and the Masonic Lodge, retired LEO

Replies

• JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Manistee Natl ForestPosts: 18,280 Senior Member
    None here yet...surprising since everything else is happening early....normally start finding them during turkey season...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Kaniksu Nat'l Forest, IDPosts: 5,486 Senior Member
    We start to see them around May 1st. Found a really good patch last year. Dehydrated most of them and used throughout the year.

tray.jpg
    When our governing officials dismiss due process as mere semantics, when they exercise powers they don’t have and ignore duties they actually bear, and when we let them get away with it, we have ceased to be our own rulers.

Adam J. McCleod

• wildgenewildgene Senior Member Cody, WYPosts: 1,036 Senior Member
    ...another good way to keep bonus morels is to split them in half, rinse, set them on a cookies sheet covered w/ wax paper & freeze. Transfer the frozen morels to zip-locks & return to freezer. To use 'em, pull 'em out & let thaw on paper towels, taste as fresh as when you picked 'em...
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    Ahh but you guys are driving me crazy! I haven't had any Morels since before my Father in Law died back in 1999. They are truly manna from heaven cooked just like was said here, flouered and fried in butter. I've never seen them down here. I think they mostly grow up north.

The only edible mushrooms I've ever seen or heard of down here are the kind that make you see space ships and make you think you can fly without an airplane!!! :rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao:
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Kaniksu Nat'l Forest, IDPosts: 5,486 Senior Member
    wildgene wrote: »
    ...another good way to keep bonus morels is to split them in half, rinse, set them on a cookies sheet covered w/ wax paper & freeze. Transfer the frozen morels to zip-locks & return to freezer. To use 'em, pull 'em out & let thaw on paper towels, taste as fresh as when you picked 'em...

Thanks for the tip! Gonna hafta try the freezer trick if the crop looks good this year.
    When our governing officials dismiss due process as mere semantics, when they exercise powers they don’t have and ignore duties they actually bear, and when we let them get away with it, we have ceased to be our own rulers.

Adam J. McCleod

• 1965Jeff1965Jeff Senior Member Olsburg KansasPosts: 1,650 Senior Member
    A buddy of mine has found ONE stinking mushroom so far this season, but it is early by a couple weeks as yet. Can't wait for the run to start up. Burned pasture all day yesterday and didn't locate any for myself, did pick up a cool hereford skull though.
  • HAWKENHAWKEN Senior Member Logansport Indiana, by way of Hohenwald Tennessee by way of Cocoa FloridaPosts: 1,720 Senior Member
    snake284 wrote: »
    Ahh but you guys are driving me crazy! I haven't had any Morels since before my Father in Law died back in 1999. They are truly manna from heaven cooked just like was said here, flouered and fried in butter. I've never seen them down here. I think they mostly grow up north.

The only edible mushrooms I've ever seen or heard of down here are the kind that make you see space ships and make you think you can fly without an airplane!!! :rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao:

DO NOT pick or consume mushrooms that grow in cow patties, LOL.............Robin
    I don't often talk to people that voted for Obama, but when I do I order large fries!
    Life member of the American Legion, the VFW, the NRA and the Masonic Lodge, retired LEO
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Under a logPosts: 27,457 Senior Member
    Got some false morels growing around a stump in the front yard. I think I'll leave them alone. Mushrooms and toadstools have been up for about two weeks here, and the dogwoods are in bloom. Redbuds are blooming, too.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
    Everything's been blooming here for a month. However we always have a traditional Easter cold front that has been known to be brutal on occasion. So all bets are off as to what will happen in the next month.

Reminds me of one time I went to Missouri for Easter to my inlaws. It was the first week in April and Spring was well into the air. It snowed about 6 inches that Saturday night and got down to about 20 degrees. I'm thinking, WOW! Who ever heard of such a thing as snow on Easter. We got home and my dad said the night after Easter, Monday, it got down to 25 and broke water lines all over town. No snow of course, but DAMN! On Easter???
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • SanfordsSanfords Banned MalawiPosts: 2 New Member
    I'm surprized, thanks!
    Yeah Right! In Canada, your April is probably like our December, LOL!!!
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member In the sticks, OHPosts: 5,617 Senior Member
    I've heard a few spotty reports, my cousin and dad have found a few (in my spot), but nothing to speak of. Normally we find a few hundred, last year it was more like 600-700 between the three of us.

We freeze them in water. Ziplock bag, fill with water, squeeze the air and some water out, zip. Works like a charm.
  • HAWKENHAWKEN Senior Member Logansport Indiana, by way of Hohenwald Tennessee by way of Cocoa FloridaPosts: 1,720 Senior Member
    If you have a dehydrator, go ahead and use it. To reconstitute your dried mushrooms, soak them in ice water for about ten minutes and they will poof up to their original size, then flour them and fry them in butter. Damn, that makes me hungry just thinking about them.
    HAWKEN wrote: »
    If you have a dehydrator, go ahead and use it. To reconstitute your dried mushrooms, soak them in ice water for about ten minutes and they will poof up to their original size, then flour them and fry them in butter. Damn, that makes me hungry just thinking about them.

If that makes you hungry, think about poor me, down here in toadstool country. Only thing edible is the ... well you know, hehehe!