Cops don't like CO's carrying guns in City of Brotherly Love!

mkk41mkk41 BannedPosts: 1,932 Senior Member

Replies

• DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    I have heard of similar incidents, in some areas C/Os have the same right to carry as any other peace officer, sadly many incidents seem to escalate from harsh words to a physical altercation.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • mkk41mkk41 Banned Posts: 1,932 Senior Member
    Well , I certainly wasn't there , but since he obviously handed over his sidearm , handed over his badge and firearms license , why did they need to go outside for a talk?

And since he now has a hi-profile mouthpiece , you can bet this will be turned into a black PO vs hispanic CO (with gun).
    "There are no victims , only volunteers!"
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,253 Senior Member
    It looks like a "donkeyhole cop on a power trip" situation to me. Of course, there will be the obligatory coverup- - - - -some things never change!
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • Mr.FMr.F Member Posts: 89 Member
    What the hell is wrong with that cop ?!
    Jermanator : You might talk about Tauruses around your wife, but that just doesn't fly in my house.
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,697 Senior Member
    I think the C/O just added to his kids education fund.........via the Police dept.
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,802 Senior Member
    What a Moron this cop was. Very unprofessional. But he will pay.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,978 Senior Member
    Another fine example of what's good for the goose ain't good fer the gander.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • bobbyrlf3bobbyrlf3 Senior Member Posts: 2,465 Senior Member
    What is it with Philly cops? Not that it only happens there, but they seem to be in the news about violating citizens' right to carry more frequently. I just don't understand that type of thinking.
    Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.
  • JeeperJeeper Senior Member Posts: 2,952 Senior Member
    Almost invariably it's a direct response to the management from above. Obviously some heads need to roll.

Luis
    Wielding the Hammer of Thor first requires you to lift and carry the Hammer of Thor. - Bigslug
  • mkk41mkk41 Banned Posts: 1,932 Senior Member
    bobbyrlf3 wrote: »
    What is it with Philly cops? Not that it only happens there, but they seem to be in the news about violating citizens' right to carry more frequently. I just don't understand that type of thinking.

Hey , it's the City of Brotherly Love , the cradle of liberty , the birthplace of freedom , the town where the Declaration of Independance , The Consititution and Bill of Rights were penned.
    "There are no victims , only volunteers!"
  • Mike S.Mike S. New Member Posts: 17 New Member
    I usually support Law Enforcement when they are actually following the laws we have in place. This clown however should lose his rank and be suspended, if not his job entirely.
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.”- Thomas Jefferson
    Funny in a way, you would think things like this happen more often to folks in Anti Gun New York City with CCW, yet it does not.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
    Mike S. wrote: »
    I usually support Law Enforcement when they are actually following the laws we have in place. This clown however should lose his rank and be suspended, if not his job entirely.

This may go a bit deeper, perhaps there is some sort of animosity between the Corrections Officers and the Police Unions.
  • mythaeusmythaeus Senior Member Posts: 831 Senior Member
    While this particular incident got my blood boiling, the PPD has been better based on recent reports by gun carriers, especially open carriers. The PPD recently settled a lawsuit filed in Federal court by an OCer for violating his civil right. As a part of the settlement (and the fact that the case was high profile), there suppose to be/have been more training. Last several reports essentially said that cops are asking for LTCF, run it, and let the OCer walk. If they stop abusing OCers, chances are CCers would receive the same/better treatment.

This specific case should be interesting because of the video. Seems to be a clear case of abuse of authority according to video and witnesses.

Doc, plausible explanation, but I definitely haven't heard of any tensions between the 2 groups/unions.

Al
    "In a controversy, the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth and have begun striving for ourselves." - Siddhartha Gautama
    I don't see why Corrections Officers should not have the same firearms status as any other peace officer.
  • SirGeorgeKillianSirGeorgeKillian Senior Member Posts: 5,458 Senior Member
    Doc, it varies between states. Some states CO's have arresting power, some they do not.
    Kinda like the difference between a barber and a stylist in SC. Barbers can use a razor, stylist cannot.
    Unless life also hands you water and sugar, your lemonade is gonna suck!
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    I'm in love with a Glock
    You are right, States vary accordingly, but it is all kinds of lame, a Corrections Officer has duties outside the Prison that requires being armed, transporting prisoners etc. even off duty, they may be required to apprehend an escaped prisoner they happen to run into.
    Or a prisoner they run into off duty may decide to have a bit of vengeance, who can say, I think it would be wise if Corrections Officers were always armed.
  • cappy54cappy54 Member Posts: 269 Member
    Well, Florida has reciprocity with Penn. seems I'll never visit there if this how ignorant cops act.
    It is not Pennsylvania, only Philadelphia is problematic.