Detonics

Dr. dbDr. db Senior MemberPosts: 1,541 Senior Member
An acquaintance has worked hard to make the new models useable from what he knows about physical response to combat. Does anyone have one? $$$ Are they worth it?

Replies

• LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,337 Senior Member
    What?
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
  • KENFU1911KENFU1911 Senior Member Posts: 1,052 Senior Member
    LMLarsen wrote: »
    What?
    +1...:uhm:
    My idea of a warning shot is when the 2nd bad guy watches his 1st buddy go down....
  • SanfordsSanfords Banned Posts: 2 New Member
    Your comments are very appreciated:)
    ziga
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    Dr. db wrote: »
    An acquaintance has worked hard to make the new models useable from what he knows about physical response to combat. Does anyone have one? $$$ Are they worth it?

Translation = A fiendish friend of his is making un-needed "tactical modifications" on an already very good and very serviceable handgun.

Looks like Peter is back.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,165 Senior Member
    He isn't. He was posting here before Peter. And whether or not the mods are needed or not has yet to be seen...
    Overkill is underrated.
    The Sanfords guy = Peter,
    Canada
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
    DoctorWho wrote: »
    The Sanfords guy = Peter,
    Canada

Do a search of his posts, and you'll see they've not been like Peter's posts.
    Overkill is underrated.
    Ok
  • Dr. dbDr. db Senior Member Posts: 1,541 Senior Member
    The Detonics company has been in and out of business several times. The new high end model has been altered with the advice of Lt. Col. David Grossman who is a part owner of the latest company (this is post Jerry Ahern). I have read, and appreciated, the colonel's book On Combat but the high end model is $2000 and the model that is closer to the original is around $1000. I was wondering if the modifications promoted on the Detonics website seem useful to someone with armed combat experience. I don't have any.
    Which model exactly are you referring to? Detonics has and has had several models, so it's easier if we know what model there was so we can compare the upgrades.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 15,174 Senior Member
    I owned a Detonics MKVI when it was the first compact 1911 available...without a doubt...the most problematic 1911-like handgun I have ever owned. Now that was the original company, I have no knowledge of what they have been up nor the quality of their products since then...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    The modifications seem to be on the
    MTX and DTX
    Btw Dr who. Pretty sure your translation missed a little.
    The combat master seems to have a more traditional 1911 grip.
    However, it was funny, much like the original posts syntax.
    I'm the math teacher. Not the guy who seems to always be in trouble with the Lutheran church.
    Dr.: You are right. My syntax is a little unique because I read this group on my phone and tend to think in letters instead of words or phrases. Kinda like spelling everything out when you have kids.
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,757 Senior Member
    I'm the math teacher. Not the guy who seems to always be in trouble with the Lutheran church.

Truly an honor to have you as a member on the board. Welcome.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • SirGeorgeKillianSirGeorgeKillian Senior Member Posts: 5,458 Senior Member
    Why am I just now reading this? I am humbled to have you here. If more people had the, errrrrrr testicular fortitude you have, this world would be a much safer place.
    Unless life also hands you water and sugar, your lemonade is gonna suck!
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    I'm in love with a Glock
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,425 Senior Member
    I just read up on your story sir, truly inspirational. It's great to have someone so selfless here on the forum.

To answer your question about the various Detonics pistols:

Just from browsing their website it appears that the DTX is an entirely new design, aimed at going after the Glock/XD/M&P market, whereas the MTX is at least loosely modeled after a 1911.

If you are looking for a defensive pistol, my personal knee-jerk suggestion is the Glock 19. I carried one for about a year before I switched to a 1911 (gift from my father) and never had any problems.

DTX: http://www.detonicsdefense.com/dtx/

dtx.png

MTX: http://www.detonicsdefense.com/mtx/

mtx_black.png
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "It's far easier to start out learning to be precise and then speeding up, than it is having never "mastered" the weapon, and trying to be precise." - Dan C
    Thank you both for your kind remarks and help with the pistol advice. I've never carried and need all the help I can get. I was thinking about a 1911 either Commander or Defender in 45 ACP. That is what lead me to the Detonics since I remember it to be an early downsized version of the 1911. You recommended a Glock. Is it flat enough to conceal? I have a few pistols but I didn't buy them with concealed carry in mind.
    Glocks conceal well enough, if you do your part, also considering it is a Law Enforcement standard issue sidearm, the Glock 19 does double duty for on and off duty carry for many Law Enforcement personnel.
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,425 Senior Member
    I never had a problem concealing my Glock 19 in a Outside-the-waistband holster under a semi-baggy button up shirt. The 1911 is definitely easier to conceal however. I carry a fullsize 1911, and if I carry it inside-the-waistband it vanishes. You would be well served with a Commander sized 1911 from a reputable maker if you go that route. I personally suggest the STI Spartan IV, or an offering from Springfield Armory. I carry an STI Trojan daily and it's a great gun.

Again, nothing wrong with the Glock. If you want a slim .45 Glock makes one, I believe it is the Glock 30.
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "It's far easier to start out learning to be precise and then speeding up, than it is having never "mastered" the weapon, and trying to be precise." - Dan C
    The .45 ACP Glock to carry is the G36....small overall, single stack, conceals extremely well. Carried one for years.
    My current carry guns are all of the 1911 persuasion from full-size to compact. Most often it's either the Commander or the Compact.
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 4,641 Senior Member
    Honor to have you here, Dr. db.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
    Line shooter (mike): the honor is mine.
    Shotshooter (sorry can't see your name in this mode so I messed up your handle) be careful how you say STI Trojan otherwise you have STD Trojan both offer protection just of a different sort.
    I see several posts from people who had Glocks and changed to a 1911. Why? I held a Commander for the first time and really liked it. I will probably go to a range and rent to see what it is like to shoot. I think I would also replace the wood grips. Does that cause it to snag.
    Shotgunshooter3: I definitely like the, "it vanishes." part.
    Does that cause it to snag should be a question.
    I see several posts from people who had Glocks and changed to a 1911. Why?.

The reason for my switching from a Glock to a 1911 ( really switching BACK to a 1911)...For a long time I carried from the the time I woke up to the time I went to bed - every day. Old back injuries reared their ugly head and I needed something a bit lighter, hence the switch to the G36....Now in retirement and living in a very rural environment, I don't spend nearly the same amount of time carrying...so when I DO carry, one of my 1911s (which I prefer over every other handgun I've ever used) gets the nod...
    Because the most comfortable to carry was listed as a 9mm. Maybe I am behind the times. I have been reading the .40, .45, 9 mm debate and it seems that new 9 mm ammo is an advancement. I remember .45 was developed because the .38 wouldn't stop. Is that still true of the 9? I have a 9 mm and compatible ammo would be a plus but not if I have to put three 9 mmm into the target to do the job of one .45.