Ruger LC9 For Conceal Carry

newgunownernewgunowner MemberPosts: 66 Member
Do any of you carry the Ruger LC9 for conceal carry? Have you had good experience with the gun and shooting it at the range? Have you found it easy to conceal?

Replies

• JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 15,050 Senior Member
    The wife got one for her birthday because she needed a "church gun" and wearing a dress precluded her from carrying her 1911...the trigger will take some getting used to as it is your typical long stroke striker-fired pistol - however it more than suffices at SD ranges...functions very reliably in the hands of an experienced shooter who not prone to limp wristing, etc...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • Tom863Tom863 New Member Posts: 1 New Member
    Posted today... Just took mine out of pocket holster and fired at target. Immediately locked up. Took it inside and fiddled with it, and eventually found takedown pin missing. Contacted tech service and they indicated they would send another and that sometimes there is "pin drift". Not willing to trust my self defense to a weapon where the takedown pin can leave the weapon inoperable. Tom863
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    Tom863 wrote: »
    Posted today... Just took mine out of pocket holster and fired at target. Immediately locked up. Took it inside and fiddled with it, and eventually found takedown pin missing. Contacted tech service and they indicated they would send another and that sometimes there is "pin drift". Not willing to trust my self defense to a weapon where the takedown pin can leave the weapon inoperable. Tom863

Good to know, I had read something like that in a customer review, There seemed to be an issue with the spring also, when the take down pin is removed.
    Seems another vote for something a bit less complex / delicate, more bomb proof.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • newgunownernewgunowner Member Posts: 66 Member
    I have read some good reviews about the Ruger LC9 and Ruger has a good reputation, but that's why I asked if anyone had experience carrying it. Is the Ruger LC9 a striker fire or hammer fire pistol? I wonder which kind is more reliable? I guess if you look long enough you'll find plenty of good/bad reviews for almost any gun. That's why I'm trying to talk to as many people as I can to get their opinions on carry pistols.
  • 1965Jeff1965Jeff Senior Member Posts: 1,611 Senior Member
    My next gun purchase will be a smaller 9mm pistol of that type, right now I'm leaning towards a glock 19 or their is a used but not abused Kahr 9mm at the LGS that will follow me home if it still there the next time I walk in the door. It took all my will power not to drop in there today after work. I tried the LCP but did not care for the way it felt when I shot an example last year.:jester:
  • newgunownernewgunowner Member Posts: 66 Member
    Are you talking about the Kahr CW9? I held a Kahr CW40 at a gun show and it felt good in my hand. Looked like a real low profile and 9mm is good. But have never shot one, so don't know how it fires. Would like to know. Looked to be a little easier to conceal than some other subcompacts.
    Another reason I lean towards the Glock 19 or Glock 17 is the common as dirt availability of OEM and aftermarket parts and magazines.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • glockman0422glockman0422 Member Posts: 216 Member
    I have been carrying a Keltec PF9 everyday for about 2 years now and can say i have never had one single problem with it. Its very comfortable to carry and it has gone bang every time i pull the trigger. Never a malfunction or any hiccups of any kind in the 500+ rounds i have fired thru it. And to me that is very important in a carry gun. I have looked at other guns but for the money, the keltec is hard to beat. It does everything well enough for me. It is not as refined as a kahr but it doesnt cost as much.
    I have come to the conclusion that whatever the cost, I need the very best sidearm, and right now, there are two clear choices, either a traditional 1911, or a Glock, the idea is to utilize a simple bomb proof well tested design, the 1911 has survived 100 + years, the Glock has not, but has stood and passed every torture test to include being at sea for months and still shoots.

Sure, I could probably buy two Keltec PF9s for what a NIB Glock 19 will cost Me, but the Glock will outlast Me and the tough abuse My sidearm receives, so will a 1911.
    I have decided not to factor in cost as much as durability in choosing a sidearm, I need something that will not break apart like an egg, if I happen to drop it hard on cement.