Home Main Category Hunting

The strangest (firearms wise) way you've killed something??? (or failed trying)

knitepoetknitepoet Senior MemberPosts: 22,395 Senior Member
In my thread in "General Shooting" about mine and Eli's trip to the range yesterday to play/experiment with cut shotgun shells, I mentioned using 2 ounces of #10 shot to kill a borer bee. I'm estimating that the shot charge weighed 20 times the target's weight or more.

Re-reading that this morning, it still struck me as humorous.

That got me to thinking (yeah, I know, dangerous) that with the number of people on here, and the combined number of years of hunting experience between us, there should be some other funny stories to share.

Please keep them weapons related.

I do have another funny one regarding shooting a squirrel while bow hunting.

It had been being a pest all morning and so just before I came down from my stand, I decided to stick it with an arrow. He was 25 yards or so away, and oblivious to me sitting in the tree. I drew, aimed and released my arrow and shot JUST a little high as he sat there. I missed but it was REALLY REALLY close. So close, in fact, that one of the broadhead blades nicked his ear. He was sitting on a rotted pine stump, so the overshot hit the ground a little ways away and he didn't notice it.

He did, however, notice the nick in his ear, and was scratching furiously at whatever is was that was biting him.
I found it funny watching him try and scratch it off, when I knew what it was and could see the arrow a few yards past him.
Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Replies

• sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 4,342 Senior Member
    When I lived in Colorado we had a game we played at the range called "hopper popper". Summer in Colorado means grasshoppers, some quite large and they had a bad habit of crawling across target frames and sometimes landing on targets. We scored points for picking off the ones on the frames so long as it was clean, in other words, not hittting the frame. We shot .22's at 25 & 50 yards and what ever else at 100 & 200 yards. Quite a lot of fun when you got bored just punching holes in paper.

Sako
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 22,395 Senior Member
    Sounds fun =)
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    Back in the day, we used to open the crimp of a shotgun shell and dump the shot out and refill it with ice cream salt. This was supposedly what the farmers used to keep the thiefs out of their watermelon patches. All I ever shot with it was birds. Hey don't laff, saves you from having to salt the dove breast later (Yeah Right, it wouldn't kill a fly at the ranges I shot it at, much less a dove). I think those stories about shooting watermelon thieves in the butt with it were fabricated. It didn't carry 20 feet. Not enough weight for its mass I don't think. Another problem was If I had of actually killed anything, it would have probably been out of season when I was a kid of 10-12 and when my dad was at work and my mother was at an after school meeting or something and dove would land in the back yard and peck around in the garden. If I had actually killed a dove and been caught by Mr. Game Warden, those would have been some expensive dove. And talk about the beating I woulda got when my parents got home. OUCH!!! But anyway it was an interesting thought for a 10-12 year old kid.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,812 Senior Member
    In my early duck hunting days, I shot a duck that I jumped up off of a creek, while squirrel hunting (I actually went duck hunting, but didn't find any, so I switched over to No. 6 shot and started squirrel hunting). It was apparently a good one shot kill (not).

I retrieved the duck and stuck it in my vest bag, and continued squirrel hunting. After about ten minutes, I felt the duck rustling around in the bag, and before I could get in position to grab him, he was out of the bag, on the ground, and fast-waddling towards the creek. I headed him off from the creek and finally chased him down, after several minutes of "ring-around-the rosie" in the underbrush, and snatched him up and wrung his neck (I thought).

I stuffed him in one side of the bag, and before I could take the first step, he was out of the bag and into the creek. I ran back to grab my shotgun, and by the time I got back, he was out of range, so I started fighting through the brush along the creek, trying to close the distance. Just before I was completely exhausted, the creek took a big bend and I was able to cut across and find an opening with about a 30 yard shot at him. This time I nailed him good, but of course, he drifted to the other side of the creek and lodged in some brush. I had to back-track about 150 yards to a foot log, walk it across the creek, and make my way back through the thick underbrush to retrieve him. My feet slid out from under me as I picked him up, and I slid into the creek, waist deep. So I just said to heck with it and waded the creek, rather than walk the bouncy footlog again with muddy boots.

On another occasion, I shot a quail that launched itself out of another hunters game vest, and flew straight up. In the spur of the moment, I didn't realize that he was only about 20 feet high when I shot him. Feathers flew and he dropped like a rock, mangled almost beyond recognition. I picked him up and stuck him in my partners game bag, without showing it to him. He magnanimously offered to let me keep him, but I insisted that it was his bird.

Many jokes were made at the cleaning table.
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,271 Senior Member
    When doing a swan cull about 9 years back I had loaded an original 'F.N. Browning' aluminium 12g Buckshot as the last shell in the magazine of the 1187. (I had been given 4 packets of them by a friend and as they dated from the '50's wanted to fire one to see if they worked.)

The owner of the property called down to see how the cull was going and to shoot a couple of birds. A mob of 11 came over the decoys and every one ( 4 shooters) opened up dropping 10 of the 11. As is normal, one bird didnt get shot at and made it through the hail of lead. As it flew away the owner pointed it out and made a joking comment about how we missed one.

I swung on the bird which was now about 150+yds away and moving in an arc to my right with full afterburners lit, fired 2 shots in its general direction to clear the 2 shells in front of the buckshot as he made the comment " Its out of range" then gave the swan about 30-40yds lead and sent the buckshot on its way.

I had time to drop the gun off the shoulder to his " You Missed" when suddenly the bird folded its neck and dropped stone dead!

I paced it out at well over 250+ paces, picked it up and returned to the group and said to him " Out of range, Huh?"

I then showed them one buckshot hole in its neck. The look on the owners face was priceless, especially when I pointed out that " you just have to shoot and then let the shot develop from there at that range".

As a result he gave me sole access to the whole 3600acre farm for hunting waterfowl, upland game and the odd deer that lives there as well as the contract for all pest destruction.....

He still talks about that shot............
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 8,227 Senior Member
    When I was 9, my dad took me dove hunting. I had been with him and others before, but this hunt was different. It was just the two of us, and for the very first time he allowed me to carry a 'real' gun. It was his Winchester Model 37 single-shot .410 shotgun. Today, that gun is one of my most prized possessions, and it's hanging on the wall where I can see it now. But, I digress.

The hunt was about what you might expect. He was knocking down the doves with pretty decent regularity with his 12 gauge, and I might as well have been throwing rocks. My biggest contribution was fetching the birds he knocked down.

After I fetched one of his downed birds, I noticed it still had some life in it. I mentioned it to him, and he simply said "get it". He was busy watching for incoming birds, I guess, and didn't realize that "get it" might mean something different to me than it meant to him.

So, I placed the bird at the foot of a mesquite bush, backed off about 10-15 ft., and shot it. It just so happened he was standing next to the very same bush. All he know was that there was a boom, with dust, feathers and various bird parts flying everywhere. I really don't know if he was more mad or scared that I had shot myself. We literally found pieces of dove meat on the thorns of the bush, and not much else. I guess it's fair to say I killed it very, very dead.

Fortunately, both my dad and I were safe. Unfortunately, that ended the day's hunt. He fussed at me at little, but realized that it was his fault more than mine. He even took me hunting again. A lot.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 25,005 Senior Member
    I was taking a stand in some shell-bark hickories and eventually shot a squirrel at about 3 yds by offsetting the shot pattern. I missed with the pellets , but embedded the wad in the side of it's head. I was sure it was dead, so I put it on the ground next to my cushion I was sitting on. The squirrel woke up after an hour or so and took off and decided to bark at me from the first tree it came to, which was a fatal mistake.

Another time, I saw two young squirrels playing tag and shot between them while they looked at each other. The two squirrels fell dead. I reloaded and put the gun down and a third squirrel fell out of the same tree dead. I was high fiving myself for a minute or so and another squirrel starts running from near the spot I shot, through the big live oak, and started down a sapling and just as I got the gun on her and was about to pull the trigger, she fell dead as well.

Another time I was hunting squirrels with a nutty dachshund that would bark tree on a squirrel. She got ahead of me on a track down along a swamp at a time of high tide added to by a wind tide, so the water was much higher than normal.
    When I caught up, the dog was barking tree then would run through some water and bark tree on another tree; then back through the water to start the cycle over. I thought the dog had flipped out for sure. I went in and shot a squirrel and instead of retrieving the squirrel, the dog went back through the water to the other tree; so I humored her and went and looked and sure enough we got the other squirrel as well.
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,803 Senior Member
    I BB gunned a lot of bugs when I was a kid.

But the strangest?

When working at the LGS with Kenfu1911 - this is probably 12 to15 years ago - we had a rat infestation. Kenfu placed D-Con up above the ceiling tiles. This took care of the rats, but then we were faced with another problem - DECOMPOSING rats. The smell got to be. . .interesting for awhile. The other problem was that the rat infestation turned into a fly infestation. The flies would come down from above the ceiling tiles and into the store, where they would become attracted to the fluorescent lights illuminating the building. We're talking dozens of them buzzing around at any given moment, with more constantly on the way.

I'm a very good shot with a rubber band launched off the thumb. Since I grew up in the days before paintball, I had to become so in order to dish out more welts to my friends than I received in return. The "solution" to the fly problem became for me to walk around with a pocket full of rubberbands, shooting them off the 12 foot ceiling. It helped to pass the time. . .
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
    Bigslug wrote: »
    I'm a very good shot with a rubber band launched off the thumb. Since I grew up in the days before paintball, I had to become so in order to dish out more welts to my friends than I received in return. The "solution" to the fly problem became for me to walk around with a pocket full of rubberbands, shooting them off the 12 foot ceiling. It helped to pass the time. . .

I'm a fair hand with a big fat rubber band, myself, but I launch them off the end of my pointed index finger. One night when some of the grandkids were spending the night, the boys and I were having a rubber band fight in the living room. Their little sister had taken shelter in Mrs. Bisley's lap and was watching nervously as the rubber bands flew everywhere.

A big black spider chose that moment to scramble up the wall, right in front of her face, and she let out a scream. I had just positioned a nice springy rubber band and had drawn it back nearly to the crook of my elbow, waiting for someone to show himself. I shifted my aim to the spider and let it fly, right over my granddaughters shoulder and splattered it, right in front of her face. It literally disintegrated before her eyes, and left about a 2" splatter on the wall. She still talks about Grandpa saving her from the "black widow." (It wasn't a black widow, but hey, who am I to destroy a child's heroes?)
    bisley wrote: »
    I'm a fair hand with a big fat rubber band, myself, but I launch them off the end of my pointed index finger.

That is the usual method. I've found that (being right handed and right eye dominant) it's quicker to reload using the right thumb as the launch platform and the left index finger as the release. I hold the band between the right thumb and index finger to keep it stable until it's got some tension on it from the left hand, and then the index finger just drops out of the way once it's no longer needed to keep the band from getting away. It might give up a tiny bit of accuracy to the index finger method, but the RPM is much higher.
    WWJMBD?

The index finger method gives a longer sighting radius and better ergonomics for big bore ammo. I have, so far, never needed to execute a tactical reload in living room warfare, against sub-teen insurgents who have not yet learned to coordinate their attacks. :tooth:
    One way to really give the "sub-teen insurgents" food for thought is to layer multiple bands on your launching finger, and using a different finger for each on the release hand. This gives four shots in quick succession which CAN be handy - - "STI's" are very prone to telegraph their tactics, so you usually have time to set this up while they organize their Banzai charge. Good way to prevent FUTURE Banzai charges.
    WWJMBD?

• QuinianQuinian Senior Member Posts: 707 Senior Member
    I used to shoot what I think were banana spiders with a .22 when I lived in FL. Big nightmarish looking things. Black and yellow stripes, make 6 foot wide webs between trees. I got sick of walking into their evil one day and started taking them out from my back deck with the .22. Oddly enough it was my sister who's not a shooter by any means who made the longest shot at about 100~ yards
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    I remember seeing a lot of those in the Jacksonville FLA area.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,687 Senior Member
    knitepoet wrote: »
    In my thread in "General Shooting" about mine and Eli's trip to the range yesterday to play/experiment with cut shotgun shells, I mentioned using 2 ounces of #10 shot to kill a borer bee. I'm estimating that the shot charge weighed 20 times the target's weight or more.

I did a very similar shot on a bumble bee. We were all getting ready to shoot at a friends ranch, and I saw this bumble bee buzzing around the head of a russian thistle. I had a shortened single shot Stevens 12Ga with an 18" barrel loaded with #7 walmart bulk loads. I leveled it off at hip level, and fired the shot. What was cool was we could see the shot spread go through the tall grass, and then the bee dropped like a rock.

We all busted out laughing. Impossible luck shot.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • EliEli Senior Member Posts: 3,074 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    Last year at the se shoot me and jbohio defended the other attendees from the hordes of cicadas that were threatening to devour them. If it were not for my trusty SxS 12 gauge and joes 1187, they all might have suffered a horrible death.
    Its a shame the red eyed flying devils wont be back this year, that was a lot of fun.

I once shot a deer five times with three different guns.................oh wait, that wasn't me. :roll2:
    Not a hunter, so I don't have a lot of stories to pull from.

When I was young my cousin and I were on a safari in the wilds of Africa, or traipsing around in the woods behind my grandmother's house with our BB guns.....it's hard to remember which.

After shooting at pine cones and rocks and flowers and basically anything else we thought we could hit with our Red Ryders all afternoon, we were setting on a rock resting. My Red Ryder was cocked and I had the stock resting against my leg with with the barrel pointed straight into the air. On my grandmothers property, yellow jackets had built about thirty two billion nests in the ground all through the woods, while we were sitting there, one of the bees flew up out of the ground and landed directly on the tip of my barrel.

Apparently he was perfectly centered over the hole because when I pulled the trigger it knocked that little **** in half and each piece of him fell off opposite sides of the barrel. My cousin and I thought that was pretty hilarious.

On overkill : I once dumped eight rounds of 7.5 out of my Benelli into a water moccasin that came into out back yard out of the creek behind our house......sorta turned into snake jelly.

On complete embarrassment : The other day at the range after Paul so effortlessly took out the Borer Bee, another one flew into close proximity of my shotgun, I decided to obliterate him as well.............and missed. :mad:
  • beartrackerbeartracker Senior Member Posts: 3,116 Senior Member
    Shot an armadillo with a 410-45/22Lr derringer. Hit the thing ten feet away with the 410 three inch mag number six and he kept trucking, then shot him with the 22Lr and he turned over and played dead. My grandson thought he was dead and walked up to him with a little stick and stuck the armadillo and it came back to life and my grandson (6yrs old at the time) leaped in the air as he turned and was gone. Took two more 22lr to finish the thing.
    I know not of which you speak. Would you please post a link so that we all can be enlightened?

I'm not sure if I should be proud or frightened.........but either way, I KNEW that that was going to be your response. :tooth:

Duuuuddddeeee, it's like we're connected! :roll2:
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,992 Senior Member
    Under the heading of boys will be boys with CO2 pellet guns when unsupervised, my buddy was shooting at a bird sitting on an antennae of a home about 50 yards away. We were in the city , and he was shooting from his bedroom window and in no way should this have ever been allowed to happen, as there were homes / roofs beyond the target. He missed , low. However, the anteannae vein he was sitting on had a perfect hole in the center of it.

When we were hunting squirrels in the woods at age 17 or so, we had our 12 gauge shotguns and were sitting quietly waiting for them to appear in some oaks. After several hours of nothing, the chipmunks had been scurrying everywhere. He took a shot at one, but it "disappeared", and we initially thought he had missed. Turned out he was perfectly accurate and it truly did "disappear."

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • FreezerFreezer Senior Member Posts: 2,143 Senior Member
    I was out hiking it the mountians in N Cal. There are a lot of big cats there so I always carry a side arm , a Ruger Security Six. I wasn't in a hurry and moved very slow because it was less than a month before deer season. Squirrels have always been my scurge in these woods and I often wanted to harvest them when the deer hunting was slow. I eventually carried a squirrel call to tease them if the harrassed me. On this day a very large squirrel had spotted me and just would let me be. I moved out of her area but she followed me barking and slapping the branches as we went. I had enough and figured I'd teach her a lesson she'd never forget. I drew my 357 and aimed for the branch below her and let one fly. Now I've heard stories of the settlers barking squirrels with their long rifles. They would shoot the branch below the squirrel and not waste the meat. They could also recover the lead for reuse. I never bought into that story before that day. The bullet flew streight and true striking the branch jut below her belly. That squirrel jumped three feet in the air and grabbed the trunk of the tree. She stood there for about 15 seconds then fell from the tree dead! Not a mark on her! Who'd a thunk?
    I like Elmer Keith; I married his daughter :wink:
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,536 Senior Member
    You've heard it before, Paul. I've got several, but the high wind pdog has to top the list.

For those that haven't heard it, I fired a "spotter" shot at a pdog that was 344 yards out. The wind was blowing something fierce, so I fired a round at a small cactus about five feet upwind of the pdog, wanting to see how the wind was going to affect my bullet. To my complete surprise, at the shot, the pdog exploded.

In the pdog world, 344 yards isn't considered a long shot, and it seemed to me that it was impossible for a bullet to drift five feet plus in that distance. When I got home, I ran the info through Oehler's Ballistic Explorer, and it returned the result that the wind had to be ~50 mph. Not really believing it, I went to WeatherUnderground, which keeps hourly data for different regions. Sure enough, during the timeframe I fired that shot, they were recording 52 mph winds at my shooting location.

That was one unlucky pdog.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
    No. I don't really like remembering that one. And it was a sheet metal hammer. I've never really figured out what a ball-**** is good for except whacking my thumb.

Mike
    N454casull
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    I 'muzzle loaded' a Crosman Model 140 air rifle with bird shot to shoot pigeons in the barn. The pigeons were using the barn as a nesting site and pooping all over the hay. I pumped up the rifle, then pushed a small piece of cotton ball down the barrel, then about 20 #8 shot pellets, and then another piece of cotton ball. The shot didn't penetrate the galvanized steel roofing, but had plenty of power to kill the pigeons as the range was only about 30 feet.

A fun pastime in summer was to take an air pistol and shoot yellow jackets(the kind that nest in the ground) when they lit on a piece of watermellon rind set about 10 feet in front of you. On a good afternoon you could go through a tin of 250 pellets easily. Fun shooting! :tooth:
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
    They are for peening your balls. Hence the name.

Hmmmm....then it's not my thumb I'm supposed to hit? Kewl, cause that really hurt.
    N454casull
  • CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Posts: 5,486 Senior Member
    When I was a kid, my cousins and I would walk my grandparents farm with my Mossberg 183T .410 looking for bunnies and quail. Boredom would set in and we would shoot at dragonflies.
    My dad caught us and decided to charge me for the shells I wasted. 410 shells have never been cheap.

Later that afternoon, we caught my dad and his brother shooting dragonflies. :angry:
    When our governing officials dismiss due process as mere semantics, when they exercise powers they don’t have and ignore duties they actually bear, and when we let them get away with it, we have ceased to be our own rulers.

Adam J. McCleod

• NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior Member Posts: 4,324 Senior Member
    Not quite a "firearm" kill but in my teens we gigged frogs all summer long. A good old style 3 prong gig w/ 5' pole and a 2 D cell Eveready BSA Angled flashlight was the weapons of choice. One good dark night I went after a frog at the same time a cottonmouth did ... when I started to pick up the gig I had a 3 foot to 3 1/2 foot cottonmouth with half the frog in it's mouth skewered together. I dropped the flashlight and the gig and past everything getting out of there. The next morning we wemt back and there everything was laying just as I dropped it ... dead frog and a just as dead cottonmouth.
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
  • KSU FirefighterKSU Firefighter Senior Member Posts: 3,249 Senior Member
    Dove hunting one time out at the grandparent's farm when we were kids. I ran out of low brass shells and went ahead and loaded up a high brass I had in my vest. A dove landed about thirty feet away from me in a tree so I let loose. One large puff of feathers later, and I was sure that I had hit it. Searching through the brush and all that we found was the feathers.
    The fire service needs a "culture of extinguishment not safety" Ray McCormack FDNY
  • PFDPFD Senior Member Posts: 1,602 Senior Member
    One year I was sighting in my '06 at 100 yards and just before firing, a dove landed in front of the target.

I decided that one target is as good as another and adjusted my aim.

After finishing my group, I approached it and found I had only wounded it by grazing it's head.

I'm pretty sure I'll never wound another bird by grazing it's head with a .30-'06.
    That's all I got.

Paul
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,601 Senior Member
    Last year at the se shoot me and jbohio defended the other attendees from the hordes of cicadas that were threatening to devour them. If it were not for my trusty SxS 12 gauge and joes 1187, they all might have suffered a horrible death.
    Its a shame the red eyed flying devils wont be back this year, that was a lot of fun.

Yes, yes it was. Probably the most fun I've ever had with shotgun.
    For those who weren't there, we found out that a load of #8's is pretty rough on a cicada, but if you can somehow manage to miss one with the shot, and hit it with the wad, the effects are gruesome. And funny. About like a SCUD missile hitting a hummingbird.