Home Main Category Hunting

The strangest (firearms wise) way you've killed something??? (or failed trying)

2»

Replies

• jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,424 Senior Member
    Dove hunting one time out at the grandparent's farm when we were kids. I ran out of low brass shells and went ahead and loaded up a high brass I had in my vest. A dove landed about thirty feet away from me in a tree so I let loose. One large puff of feathers later, and I was sure that I had hit it. Searching through the brush and all that we found was the feathers.

I once shot a crow at 50 yards with a 55gr Vmax from my .223....... All I found was one wing and one foot.
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 25,005 Senior Member
    jbp-ohio wrote: »
    I once shot a crow at 50 yards with a 55gr Vmax from my .223....... All I found was one wing and one foot.
    I was hunting crows once on a sandbar in high winds and had shot some that fell in the river and were blown out off shore by the wind under the approach lane of the crows coming from their roost. The live ones saw them floating along and got real worked up and when I turned on the call, they threw caution to the wind and came straight in to my decoys. One got so close that it was nearly 5 ft off the shotgun muzzle when I shot it. All I found was one leg.

But, the way your bullet tore that crow up is amazing.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    Shot an armadillo with a 410-45/22Lr derringer. Hit the thing ten feet away with the 410 three inch mag number six and he kept trucking, then shot him with the 22Lr and he turned over and played dead. My grandson thought he was dead and walked up to him with a little stick and stuck the armadillo and it came back to life and my grandson (6yrs old at the time) leaped in the air as he turned and was gone. Took two more 22lr to finish the thing.

MIke, why you think they call 'em possum on da half shell???
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    I do have one more story that is slightly strange, well not so much strange as different. Once when I was duck hunting down at Indianola sitting in a duck blind with my dad and his friend on a cold November afternoon after school was out, a flock of canvas backs came flying from our right toward our left. I was sort of inexperienced at that time and before they could stop me I stood up and shot. The problem was that the ducks were still out of range, or so they thought. One of the lead Canvas Backs tumbled in mid air and landed in the water. I hit that duck with a pump 12 gauge with a modified choke and number 4 lead shot. When we looked at it we guestimated the range to be almost or right at 100 yards. What I figured happened was those canvas backs coming from the north with a strong north wind were going at least 50 MPH if not faster and the combination of the shot and the ducks speed broke his wing when he ran into the shot. I don't know if this explanation holds water, but I can't think of a better reason a number four shot would break a duck's wing at that range.
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,271 Senior Member
    Ok, here is something that could be classed as a 'Ripleys believe it or not'

I took a co worker of my (then ) wifes out as he wanted to get into duck hunting. After spending the day out in the boat where he missed everything that came along, we headed onto a farm where I knew ducks would be flying in to eat on a harvested crop.

The wind was gusting at around 25 knots so I set up with our backs to the fence line which had a large clump of rushes so that we could get some shelter. The ducks didnt fly but while sitting there we had a whole bunch of swallows darting and diving in front of us , plucking insects out of the sky.
    Daz (Darren) watched them and after a while decided to have a shot at one. ( They are an introduced species and are regarded as a pest) After about 8 shots and 8 misses he turned to me and said words to the effect that those birds were unshootable. I told him that they died just like any other bird if you were on target. He then said 'prove it'.......

Now , one thing I did know about swallows is that they never landed on the ground in grass cos their wingspan was so great compared with their leg length that they cant take off as they dont have long enough legs to 'clear' their wings off the ground. The second thing I knew about swallows is that if they get blown out of the sky by the wind, they accept their fate and dont struggle.........they just put their heads down and wait to die. ( Thats what comes of being an avid reader and a wildlife ranger)

I picked one out of the bunch of 20+ and watched it for a few moments and noticed that they were all flying into the wind in a swooping kind of motion and rarely got more than 4-5' off the deck. Picking out the 'chosen one' I waited till he finished his swoop and when he was at the peak and only about 5-6yds away I fired just below him. At the shot he fell out of the sky. We walked over to look at him and he was lying on the ground with his wings out and his head down.

I picked him up, held him cupped in my hands for about 20 seconds then said to Daz, " Now you are going to see a miracle".

I shook the bird gently and then threw it into the air where it then started flying as though nothing had happened and went back to feeding.!!!!!

I explained to Daz that I had aimed just below the bird and the air disturbance of the shot had disrupted the airflow over his wings and he fell out of the sky, then explained about the short legs etc. He refused to believe me and said 'Do it again ".

We took cover again and after picking out another one, I watched him until he was in the right position and 'dropped ' him. (it took me 3 attempts the second time)

I then showed Daz the disparity between their wingspan and their leg length, gave him a quick wildlife lesson and he then threw the bird up in the air with the same result.

He told everyone about the 'miracle' for many years and mentioned it everytime we saw each other until I lost touch with him about 12 years ago.

Side Note: When I picked him up at 'o dark a thirty' I stopped at the 24hr chemist and said I had to get a few essential items for his first day of duck hunting. He followed me into the shop where I bought a packet of condoms and a small tub of vaseline. He asked me what they were for and I just looked at him with a funny look and said " Wait and see". When we got back into my landrover he kept looking at me funny for the hour drive and when we launched the boat onto the harbour he stayed right up the front. After we had set the decoys and were camo'ed up in the mangroves, I pulled the condoms and vaseline out of my waders pocket and watched his eyebrows almost disappear over his forehead. He hesitatingly asked "What the hell do you think you are going to do with those........."

I explained that the condoms were to put over the end of your barrel to stop the heavy rain getting in ( the forecast was for torrential rain) and the vaseline was to put a thin coat over the outside of the barrel to stop the salt water rusting it, "What the hell did you think it was for?".

He let out an enormous sigh of relief and said he thought it was for some form of initiation............:rotflmao:
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 22,395 Senior Member
    I've got another one from a few years ago. I posted it on a former incarnation of the forum, but we've gained a few folks since then.
    Red wasp @ 100 yards with a 223. I don't remember if I was testing 60gr V-Max or 75gr HP's but it didn't matter to the wasp
    wasp1.jpg

What you see is what's left of the splatter after the hit
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 22,395 Senior Member
    Alec, you're a wealth of knowledge :worthy:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• Shoemaker SethShoemaker Seth Member Posts: 139 Member
    Not a gun, but about 6 months ago my boys and I were behind our house collecting cool rock when a cotton tail hopped by. Somebody mentioned killing it with a rock like a cave man and on the count of three we all chucked a rock. Mine broke the back and I finished it with my Gerber. Ten min. later it was skinned and in the freezer waiting for some of its buddies to make a meal out of. My kids were impressed, which sometimes isn't easy to do.
    Some threads I read for information. Others I read for entertainment value.
    orchidman wrote: »
    Ok, here is something that could be classed as a 'Ripleys believe it or not'

I took a co worker of my (then ) wifes out as he wanted to get into duck hunting. After spending the day out in the boat where he missed everything that came along, we headed onto a farm where I knew ducks would be flying in to eat on a harvested crop.

The wind was gusting at around 25 knots so I set up with our backs to the fence line which had a large clump of rushes so that we could get some shelter. The ducks didnt fly but while sitting there we had a whole bunch of swallows darting and diving in front of us , plucking insects out of the sky.
    Daz (Darren) watched them and after a while decided to have a shot at one. ( They are an introduced species and are regarded as a pest) After about 8 shots and 8 misses he turned to me and said words to the effect that those birds were unshootable. I told him that they died just like any other bird if you were on target. He then said 'prove it'.......

Now , one thing I did know about swallows is that they never landed on the ground in grass cos their wingspan was so great compared with their leg length that they cant take off as they dont have long enough legs to 'clear' their wings off the ground. The second thing I knew about swallows is that if they get blown out of the sky by the wind, they accept their fate and dont struggle.........they just put their heads down and wait to die. ( Thats what comes of being an avid reader and a wildlife ranger)

I picked one out of the bunch of 20+ and watched it for a few moments and noticed that they were all flying into the wind in a swooping kind of motion and rarely got more than 4-5' off the deck. Picking out the 'chosen one' I waited till he finished his swoop and when he was at the peak and only about 5-6yds away I fired just below him. At the shot he fell out of the sky. We walked over to look at him and he was lying on the ground with his wings out and his head down.

I picked him up, held him cupped in my hands for about 20 seconds then said to Daz, " Now you are going to see a miracle".

I shook the bird gently and then threw it into the air where it then started flying as though nothing had happened and went back to feeding.!!!!!

I explained to Daz that I had aimed just below the bird and the air disturbance of the shot had disrupted the airflow over his wings and he fell out of the sky, then explained about the short legs etc. He refused to believe me and said 'Do it again ".

We took cover again and after picking out another one, I watched him until he was in the right position and 'dropped ' him. (it took me 3 attempts the second time)

I then showed Daz the disparity between their wingspan and their leg length, gave him a quick wildlife lesson and he then threw the bird up in the air with the same result.

He told everyone about the 'miracle' for many years and mentioned it everytime we saw each other until I lost touch with him about 12 years ago.

Side Note: When I picked him up at 'o dark a thirty' I stopped at the 24hr chemist and said I had to get a few essential items for his first day of duck hunting. He followed me into the shop where I bought a packet of condoms and a small tub of vaseline. He asked me what they were for and I just looked at him with a funny look and said " Wait and see". When we got back into my landrover he kept looking at me funny for the hour drive and when we launched the boat onto the harbour he stayed right up the front. After we had set the decoys and were camo'ed up in the mangroves, I pulled the condoms and vaseline out of my waders pocket and watched his eyebrows almost disappear over his forehead. He hesitatingly asked "What the hell do you think you are going to do with those........."

I explained that the condoms were to put over the end of your barrel to stop the heavy rain getting in ( the forecast was for torrential rain) and the vaseline was to put a thin coat over the outside of the barrel to stop the salt water rusting it, "What the hell did you think it was for?".

He let out an enormous sigh of relief and said he thought it was for some form of initiation............:rotflmao:

Alec, you are too much, my friend!!! LOL! You crack me up on here. I love it!!!
  • dlddld Member Posts: 441 Member
    cpj wrote: »
    They are for peening MY balls. Hence the name.

fixed it for you
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 25,005 Senior Member
    I shot an albino squirrel with a shotgun at long range, I paced it off at 50 paces.
    Then took it to a taxidermist and he never found where it was hit, since I use #2's there should have been a hole somewhere.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,673 Senior Member
    About the only relatively strange firearm related kill I've made was with a Brown Bess Musket loaded with buck n ball at about 20 yards...deer stepped out, BOOOMMM with all the attendant smoke and fire, smoke clears, deer is really dead....I guess the really strange part was that the musket was about as long as the deer....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • tlc361tlc361 New Member Posts: 8 New Member
    While deer hunting last season I drove past a meadow with multiple coyotes standing in the open intent on something. I back the truck up and parked it, by this time i could not see any of the coyotes. I walked toward where they where and saw one intent on something so strongly he did not notice me. I figured this was a good sign and sighted in on his head with my 30.06 at about 35 - 40 yards. I fired and watched the coyote run off into the brush. Thought about it and thought "How could I have missed".

Then it dawned on me, scope set for 100 yard zero, coyote and 35-40 yards, bullet must have went over his head but through the tips of his ears.

I am now the worlds first coyote ear piercer, now I've got to go find that coyote and sell him earrings.