Bill Cosby on the Manning case

JermanatorJermanator Senior MemberPosts: 15,211 Senior Member
To start, here is the full article...
http://m.washingtontimes.com/news/2012/apr/7/simmons-bill-cosby-weighs-trayvon-martin-case/
I respect and admire Bill Cosby. Here is where I have a problem...
Mr. Cosby, a Navy veteran, said “the gun” empowered Mr. Zimmerman, whose actions have stirred a firestorm of debate, protests and remarks from President Obama. Most likely.

“We’ve got to get the gun out of the hands of people who are supposed to be on neighborhood watch,” said Mr. Cosby, whose remarks were the first he has made publicly about the case. I strongly disagree.

“Without a gun, I don’t see Mr. Zimmerman approaching Trayvon by himself,” Mr. Cosby explained. “The power-of-the-gun mentality had him unafraid to confront someone. Even police call for backup in similar situations. I agree.

“When you carry a gun, you mean to harm somebody, kill somebody,” he said. I strongly disagree.

What are your thoughts on this?

Replies

• jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 9,554 Senior Member
    Jermanator wrote: »
    “Without a gun, I don’t see Mr. Zimmerman approaching Trayvon by himself,” Mr. Cosby explained. “The power-of-the-gun mentality had him unafraid to confront someone. Even police call for backup in similar situations.

Noone knows if Zimmerman approached Martin. As far as anyone knows, Zimmerman only wanted to see where Martin went so he could tell the police..... That he was on the phone with....

“When you carry a gun, you mean to harm somebody, kill somebody,” he said.

Proof that Hollywood diseases the mind.....
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    I wonder what kind of private security Mr Cosby has protecting his precious rear-end? Folks like him are a dime a dozen in Hollywood, make millions using a gun on TV (I Spy) then turn anti-gun. I do like him and his shows, but like so many others (like Danny Glover from the Lethal Weapon movies) I don't care to hear their whacky political reasoning, they should stick to entertainment.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,844 Senior Member

This :worthy:
    Big Chief wrote: »
    I don't care to hear their whacky political reasoning, they should stick to entertainment.
    I like Bill Cosby for his comedy/acting. He's as entitled to his opinion as I am, and his carries as much weight with me and mine probably does with him
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• mkk41mkk41 Banned Posts: 1,932 Senior Member
    “When you carry a gun, you mean to harm somebody, kill somebody,”

Well , I fully agree , sort of , but only in response to a very real threat of the same being done to me first.

Some of those people on neighborhood watch are on a real power or ego trip. Some are pretty scary and even unstable. But I've seen the same power trip on cops , firemen , off-duty or ex-military , or people permitted/licensed to carry a firearm. Especially those who open carry or carry one of those fake 'CCW' badges.

Admire or respect Bill Cosby? Not particularlly. I thought he was a funny comedian back when he made comedy records or cartoons. But he got very preachy when he was Americas Best Dad on TV.
    "There are no victims , only volunteers!"
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 15,211 Senior Member
    mkk41 wrote: »
    Admire or respect Bill Cosby? Not particularlly. I thought he was a funny comedian back when he made comedy records or cartoons. But he got very preachy when he was Americas Best Dad on TV.

My thing is that he didn't pull out the whole race card in this situation or any others that I am aware of. He has always preached the message of self-empowerment as opposed to playing the victim role. I respect and admire him for that. I disagree with his viewpoint on firearms.
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,660 Senior Member
    Wasn't his son shot while changing a tire. His view on guns is understandable.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
  • mkk41mkk41 Banned Posts: 1,932 Senior Member
    Buford wrote: »
    Wasn't his son shot while changing a tire. His view on guns is understandable.

What , it was the guns fault?
    "There are no victims , only volunteers!"
  • AiredaleAiredale Banned Posts: 624 Senior Member
    I agree mkk,
    Starting from the beginning, most if not all watch groups specify definately that the watch person not be armed. They observe and report, that's all. Zimmermans dispatcher (not a police dispatcher, the watch dispatcher) told him not to follow, but he did.
    A confrontation ensued, Trayvon (not the big eared 12 year old one) now he's over 6 feet, overpowered the smaller Zimmerman.
    Now the "Stand Your Ground Law" comes into effect.
    Zimmerman is in fear of his life and shoots Trayvon, killing him.
    Should Zimmerman have brought his firearm on watch that night? No.
    Should he have followed Trayvon after his civilian dispatcher advised him not to? No.
    Was he legally entitled to defend himself with deadly force? Yes.
    My take on the thing is this.
    Neighborhood watch groups need to screen their applicants more closely.
    Zimmerman was perfectly entitled to carry, but he seems to have been some sort of vigilante.
    Should have left his gun at home. I don't think he would have gotten out of his car if he wasn't armed.
    So, one person is dead and gunowners across the country come under fire from the antis.
    Jim
    mkk41 wrote: »
    What , it was the guns fault?

That's silly. I said I can understand his view of them.
    Airedale wrote: »
    I agree mkk,
    I don't think he would have gotten out of his car if he wasn't armed.
    So, one person is dead and gunowners across the country come under fire from the antis.
    Jim

Exactly.
    Airedale wrote: »
    I agree mkk,
    Starting from the beginning, most if not all watch groups specify definately that the watch person not be armed. They observe and report, that's all.

So, if you live in a neighborhood that has recently had a rash of burgleries, and decide to start a neighborhood watch program(Zimmerman started and was elected captain), you give up your right to be armed while you try to be a witness to felon committing a felony??? I don't think so!

Zimmermans dispatcher (not a police dispatcher, the watch dispatcher) told him not to follow, but he did.

I call shenanigans! Show source please!

A confrontation ensued, Trayvon (not the big eared 12 year old one) now he's over 6 feet, overpowered the smaller Zimmerman.
    Now the "Stand Your Ground Law" comes into effect.

An eye witness saw Martin on Zimmerman, there was zero possibility of retreat. SYG does NOT apply....

Neighborhood watch groups need to screen their applicants more closely.

Zimmerman started the watch

Zimmerman was perfectly entitled to carry, but he seems to have been some sort of vigilante.

You are using biased information to form an opinion of a person you have never met. Another watch captain who knew Zimmerman PERSONALLY spoke very well him.

Should have left his gun at home. I don't think he would have gotten out of his car if he wasn't armed.

He shouldn't have left his truck because he was carrying. There were felons in his neighborhood at least eight times committing felonies, but he should leave the gun at home? The whole point of CCW is you don't know when you will need it, so it better be with you all of the time (it is legal)
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
    Some think Martin first talked to Zimmeran while he was still in his truck

http://www.wagist.com/2012/dan-linehan/the-missing-230-and-deedees-testimony

Again, we need to here the WHOLE story.......
    jbp-ohio wrote: »

Again, we need to here the WHOLE story.......

I believe that would be hear the WHOLE story.
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,146 Senior Member
    I used to like his 'I spy' show...other than that, just another Hollywood douche.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!
    Buford wrote: »
    I believe that would be hear the WHOLE story.

SamW? How did you hack Buford account???
    We have been assimilated.
    cpj wrote: »
    That would be Buford's account.

Um..... I did that on porpoise.
  • tv_racin_fantv_racin_fan Senior Member Posts: 617 Senior Member
    On the 911 tape I heard it sounded like Mr Zimmerman was breathing hard IE moving until the dispatcher told him they didn't need him to follow then it sounded like he stopped exerting himself.

I dunno what the whole story is... but it sure sounded like he stopped following when told to.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,851 Senior Member
    To start, here is the full article...
    http://m.washingtontimes.com/news/2012/apr/7/simmons-bill-cosby-weighs-trayvon-martin-case/
    I respect and admire Bill Cosby. Here is where I have a problem...
    Mr. Cosby, a Navy veteran, said “the gun” empowered Mr. Zimmerman, whose actions have stirred a firestorm of debate, protests and remarks from President Obama. Most likely.

“We’ve got to get the gun out of the hands of people who are supposed to be on neighborhood watch,” said Mr. Cosby, whose remarks were the first he has made publicly about the case. I strongly disagree.

“Without a gun, I don’t see Mr. Zimmerman approaching Trayvon by himself,” Mr. Cosby explained. “The power-of-the-gun mentality had him unafraid to confront someone. Even police call for backup in similar situations. I agree.

“When you carry a gun, you mean to harm somebody, kill somebody,” he said. I strongly disagree.

Whether Zimmerman is right or wrong doesn't change one basic fact. Without the gun then people like Martin (If he was truly the bad guy) will rule unchecked.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,851 Senior Member
    My thing is that he didn't pull out the whole race card in this situation or any others that I am aware of. He has always preached the message of self-empowerment as opposed to playing the victim role. I respect and admire him for that. I disagree with his viewpoint on firearms.

I agree. Bill is not a total idiot. If we could only win him over to our side he would be a fantastic force for truth and justice.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • Uncle BSUncle BS Member Posts: 380 Member
    snake284 wrote: »
    I agree. Bill is not a total idiot. If we could only win him over to our side he would be a fantastic force for truth and justice.

It would be tough to be as successful as Cosby and be a complete moron, but this is one more case of someone with a microphone using it for the wrong reason ie. Sean Penn, Dixie Chicks, Bono, Danny Glover...

The end result for me is that they alienate me and I no longer support them or their efforts (not that I was ever a big DC or U2 fan anyway), maybe someday these actors and singers will learn that most of us don't care what they think politically. Only an idiot would form a political or moral opinion because Oprah told me to.
    cpj wrote: »
    Wow. I never knew I enjoyed grilled foreskin.
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    I understand Bill Cosby simply because I have been in the type of neighborhoods he grew up in, and the inner city mentality of those neighborhoods is that only criminals and the Police have firearms, so if you are not a LEO and you have a gun, esp a HANDGUN, you must be a crook or drug dealer.

Latinos are a good example of that, lots of My Latino relatives always thought I was some sort of crooked cop because they could not understand cops carrying off duty.

I had always been a fan of Bill Cosby, and his views were often expressed by much of My antigun family, even My Mom's opinions on firearms were somewhat like his.

Oddly enough, Grandma was staunchly pro gun, a Colt SA always loaded and at the ready.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • bruchibruchi Senior Member Posts: 2,582 Senior Member
    Bill Cosby is a great comedian, a well know and loved celebrity in this country, he has every right to his opinion but how folks like this become overnight experts on gun issues and many others baffles me, fact is that unfortunately due to the celebrity thing a huge part of the uneducated masses LISTEN to celebrities like him that live so out of touch with real people and in such a privileged fashion that feel this urge to paint everything as UTOPIA is just around the corner, to me guilt and justification in their minds might have a lot to do with this.

EDUCATION is the key and as you have to battle fire with fire intelligent "celebrities" on our side would be of great help!
    If this post is non welcomed, I can always give you a recipe for making "tostones".
    OTOH Bill Cosby has been at odds with other so called celebrities for telling kids not to dress or act like thugs or to listen to music that espouses a thug / gangsta lifestyle or denigrates women.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • bobbyrlf3bobbyrlf3 Senior Member Posts: 2,467 Senior Member

:agree: Have always agreed with what Dr. Cosby has had to say about personal responsibility.
    Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 6,545 Senior Member
    FWIW, I heard about an hour ago that the special prosecutor in this case as decided NOT to bring it before a grand jury. Reportedly, this doesn't mean that Zimmerman might not still get arrested and face charges, though.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
    If it is a no bill, the only venue left is a civil law suit.
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,726 Senior Member
    Cosby is a hypocrite. He has a NYC carry permit:

http://blksunsoc.blogspot.com/2012/04/bill-cosby-must-be-joking.html?m=1
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    I am having a hard time finding a source other than an internet forum or some blog that I have never heard of mention that. Where did they get their information? There is nothing about it in Snopes either. I did find this though...
    http://www.snopes.com/politics/soapbox/cosby.asp
    I am having a hard time finding a source other than an internet forum or some blog that I have never heard of mention that. Where did they get their information? There is nothing about it in Snopes either. I did find this though...
    http://www.snopes.com/politics/soapbox/cosby.asp

That list has been around a while, and it changes as time goes by, many have been on that list a long time, Joan rivers and Howard Stern and his rival Don Imus IIRC.