Home Main Category Second Amendment/Politics

George Zimmerman charged with 2nd-degree murder in Trayvon Martin shooting

Big ChiefBig Chief Senior MemberPosts: 32,995 Senior Member
I knew they would probably charge him with something, so be it. Now it's up to a jury. I just hope he gets a fair trial. It should be interesting.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/04/11/zimmerman-to-be-charged-by-florida-special-prosecutor-report-says/

Neighborhood watch volunteer George Zimmerman turned himself in Wednesday to face a charge of second-degree murder after a Florida special prosecutor announced she had concluded that his claims of self defense were not supported in the shooting death of unarmed 17-year-old Trayvon Martin.

Special prosecutor Angela Corey's announcement marked a turning point in the high-profile case, as weeks of outrage and speculation about Zimmerman's motives culminated in his arrest -- something that Martin's family and their supporters have argued for since the Feb. 26 shooting in a gated community in Sanford, Fla.

But Zimmerman's new lawyer, Mark O'Mara, said his client will plead not guilty, and he is "hoping that the community will calm down" after the intense scrutiny of the case in the community and the media drove Zimmerman into hiding.

Zimmerman, 28, was booked Wednesday evening into the Seminole County Jail, and he could face a minimum of 25 years in prison or a maximum of life if convicted. He is expected to make his first appearance in court in the next day or two, and O'Mara plans to ask for bail.

He will make his first court appearance 1:30pm Thursday.

In announcing the arrest, Corey would not discuss how she reconciled the conflicting accounts of what happened or explain how she arrived at the charges, saying too much information had been made public already. But she made it clear she was not influenced by the uproar over the past six weeks.

"We do not prosecute by public pressure or by petition. We prosecute based on the facts on any given case as well as the laws of the state of Florida," Corey said.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/04/11/zimmerman-to-be-charged-by-florida-special-prosecutor-report-says/#ixzz1roolsOka
It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!

Replies

• gunrunner428gunrunner428 Senior Member Posts: 1,018 Senior Member
    Zimmerman's biggest challenge will be surviving the trial of public opinion, swayed and influenced as it is by the media's lopsided portrayal of both the events and the individuals involved.

Wonder if the prosecutor was hoping to collect the New Black Panther Party's bounty on Zimmerman's arrest? This alone is a bigger act of vigilantism than any of Zimmerman's actions, IMO: http://latino.foxnews.com/latino/news/2012/03/25/new-black-panther-party-offers-10000-bounty-for-george-zimmerman/
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,269 Senior Member
    Once they sent a special prosecuter, there was no way charges weren't going to be filed.

The 2nd degree murder is purely political grandstanding. They are hoping a jury will at least find him guilty of manslaughter.
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • SirGeorgeKillianSirGeorgeKillian Senior Member Posts: 5,463 Senior Member
    Yet, no arrests have been made with the New Black Panthers. If that was a bunch of Neo Nazis making that statement, the public outcry would be immense.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
    Unless life also hands you water and sugar, your lemonade is gonna suck!
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    I'm in love with a Glock
  • gunrunner428gunrunner428 Senior Member Posts: 1,018 Senior Member
    Yet, no arrests have been made with the New Black Panthers. If that was a bunch of Neo Nazis making that statement, the public outcry would be immense.

And they say the media's not biased!
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,561 Senior Member
    Interesting note: if Zimmerman wants to claim self defense, he can ask for a hearing on the evidence as it relates to the Stand Your Ground law, and the charges could be dismissed.

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2012-04-11/news/os-george-zimmerman-stand-your-ground-hearings-20120411_1_eric-sandhaus-craig-sandhaus-milton-torres
    Overkill is underrated.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,867 Senior Member
    jbp-ohio wrote: »
    Once they sent a special prosecuter, there was no way charges weren't going to be filed.

The 2nd degree murder is purely political grandstanding. They are hoping a jury will at least find him guilty of manslaughter.
    That was a given alright; the lady has her chance now to run for the state attorney general---then US attorney General

We have seen that one happen in Fla
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,806 Senior Member
    Zimmerman's biggest challenge will be surviving the trial of public opinion, swayed and influenced as it is by the media's lopsided portrayal of both the events and the individuals involved.....
    The race baiters will try to poison the jury pool, just as they tried it with public opinion before this.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,806 Senior Member
    As it should have been from the beginning this will be decided by a judge and jury...just hope he can get a fair trial.

First I'd heard of the "bounty"...does the NBPP even have $10,000? I'm sure they're loving all the attention Fox News is giving them, but do they even have a dozen real members? I've never seen more than 3 or 4 of them in any one place. Those guys have always been a joke.
    When that story first appeared, they said they were going to get a million dollars to fund their quest to get him "dead or alive." These people are a joke, but they are dangerous as well. Most of them are probably ex-cons with records a mile long. The "Old" Black Panther Party from the '70's were nothing but murdering bank robbers and thugs.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    I feel like the media has already condemned him. If he truly did shoot Martin without being threatened, they should throw the book at him. But you have to watch some of these prosecutors because they can be politically motivated to hang the innocent. And with all the media bias that's been going on, there's no telling what will happen. I just hope he gets a fair trial.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • blueslide88blueslide88 Member Posts: 273 Member
    This prosecutor, Angela Corey, is "over-charging" Zimmerman with 2nd degree murder, which from all accounts would be very difficult to successfully prove. She's likely hoping for a manslaughter plea-bargain, or a jury settling for less than 2nd degree. She may have her eye on state Attorney General, currently Pam Bondi, one of my favorites in Florida government. Bondi helped lead the charge against Obamacare.

2nd degree murder requires proof of a "depraved" disregard for human life, but without premeditation (1st degree).

Zimmerman will appear before a judge for formal arraignment on May 29, according to one report. It is my understanding that he can move for a dismissal of charges at that time, citing FL's self-defense law and a lack of evidence. It's happened before in FL.

I saw Corey's press conference and couldn't help but notice Corey's smiling, almost flippant demeanor, admitting that she had been in contact with Martin's family. A broad smile never seemed to leave her face, sort of like Mom announcing an ice cream surprise to her kids.
  • Hugh DamrightHugh Damright Member Posts: 169 Member
    We do not prosecute by public pressure

It seems awfully suspicious to me ... I was under the impression that Zimmerman wasn't charged because it was clearly self defense ... then the media spins it into some kind of race crime, a poor innocent little black boy just going to the store to buy some candy for his brother, and Zimmerman hunts him down like a dog and murders him because he's black ... it becomes a national story and now he is charged with murder.

The U.S. Justice Department's civil rights division is conducting its own investigation. But federal authorities typically wait until a state prosecution is complete before deciding how to proceed.

I think that if Zimmerman was black, or if Martin had been white, then this incident would be over and done with.
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,992 Senior Member
    I would like to see the NRA or an organization fund his defense. No way he is guilty of 2nd degree murder, unless he get railroaded.

IMHO

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,561 Senior Member
    They might be floating 2nd degree murder to get him to plead to manslaughter.

As far as why he wasn't charged: he hadn't been charged at the time. The Sanford PD still has his clothing from the night of the incident, and still has his firearm, indicating that the investigation was still pending, with him out because it might have been self defense. However, there was a chance that Zimmerman was still going to get charged.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    A lot of political pressure and window dressing in any case, if Zimmerman is innocent, and he has a halfway decent attorney he will be acquitted.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • Hugh DamrightHugh Damright Member Posts: 169 Member
    I would like to see the NRA or an organization fund his defense
    Interesting ... I was just thinking that they need to hang Zimmerman to appease the black vote, and they need to let him go to appease the gun vote ... black folks seem to make themselves heard, and the liberal media pushes one side of the story ... so I was just wondering how the gun folks can compete, how can we say "this is a gun rights issue and the gun vote is at stake" ... NRA involvement might be just the thing ... but I doubt if they'd want to get involved in something that is portrayed as being racially motivated.
  • 44special44special Member Posts: 64 Member
    NRA is taking a wait and see approach. Wayne LaPierre quoted Charlton Heston in an interview here in St.Louis prior to the NRA convention, "Sometimes silence is the right thing to do." If indeed he fouled up and overreacted they'll walk. However, if he's railroaded they'll be on top of it. That's NOT the NRA's position, just my opinion. This will be a major test of Florida's self-defense legislation. From what I understand, during his 911 call he was advised to back off and the police would respond. So, if this guy suddenly turned on him before he could react as advised, we'll see.

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/govt-and-politics/political-fix/as-convention-nears-a-chat-with-the-nra-s-top/article_1e0f0038-83e8-11e1-bca8-001a4bcf6878.html
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
    Did everyone see the earthshattering evidence they are basing the murder charge on? Travon's mother recognized his voice as the one screaming on the 911 calls.

Despite the actual eye witness.......... :confused: