Is there any truth to this or is it just another Interent chain email..............

Big ChiefBig Chief Senior MemberPosts: 32,995 Senior Member
I do know doctors/medical folks ask questions about firearms, but just wondering how far they have actually gone with this silliness. Like so many other emails I get, they take a smidgen of fact and mix it with a lot of Bologna to make it seem plausible.

I was asked by a nurse a couple of years ago if I "Felt Safe" at home, where I live before a heart procedure. I told her I sure do, I'm protected by Smith & Wesson. :guns::rotflmao:

DO YOU HAVE A GUN AT HOME

BETTER READ THIS ONE AND PASS IT ON!

When I had my gangrene gallbladder taken out and spent 10 days in the hospital for what should have been an overnight stay the insurance company kicked me out. I had home nurse visits for two weeks and was asked if I had guns in the house. I respond that if I did I would not tell them. So the below has some merit.FYI, I am passing this along...there are comments from two other people I have also been asked if we keep guns in the house. The nurse just kinda slipped it in along with all the other regular questions. I told her I refused to answer because it was against the law to ask. Everyone, whether you have guns or not, should give a neutral answer so they have no idea who does and who doesn't.

My doctor asked me if I had guns in my house and also if any were loaded. I, of course, answered yes to both questions. Then he asked why I kept a loaded gun close to my bed. I answered that my son, who is a certified gun instructor and also works for Homeland Security, advised me that an unloaded, locked up gun is no protection against criminal attack. The Government now requires these questions be asked of people on Medicare, and probably everyone else. Just passing this along for your information: I had to visit a doctor other than my regular doctor when my doctor was on vacation.. One of the questions on the form I had to fill out was: Do you have any guns in your house?? My answer was None of your damn business!! So it is out there! It is either an insurance issue or government intervention. Either way, it is out there and the second the government gets into your medical records (as they want to under Obamacare) it will become a major issue and will ultimately result in lock and load!! Please pass this on to all the other retired guys and gun owners...

Thanks, from a Vietnam Vet and retired Police Officer: I had a doctors appointment at the local VA clinic yesterday and found out something very interesting that I would like to pass along.While going through triage before seeing the doctor, I was asked at the end of the exam, three questions:1. Did I feel stressed? 2. Did I feel threatened? 3. Did I feel like doing harm to someone? The nurse then informed me, that if I had answered yes to any of the questions, I would have lost my concealed carry permit as it would have gone into my medical records and the VA would have reported it to Homeland Security. Looks like they are going after the vets first. Other gun people like retired law enforcement will probably be next. Then when they go after the civilians, what argument will they have? Be forewarned and be aware. The Obama administration has gone on record as considering veterans and gun owners potential terrorists. Whether you are a gun owner, veteran or not, YOU"VE BEEN WARNED ! If you know veterans and gun owners, please pass this on to them. Be very cautious about what you say and to whom.
It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!

Replies

• SirGeorgeKillianSirGeorgeKillian Senior Member Posts: 5,458 Senior Member
    I don't see that one holding any water. Besides, even if I were asked that question, I doubt my answers would be much help to those asking the questions.....

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
    Unless life also hands you water and sugar, your lemonade is gonna suck!
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    I'm in love with a Glock
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,108 Senior Member
    According to Snopes, paragraph 2 and 3 are false. Truth or Fiction says the same about 3.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/guns/medicare.asp
    http://www.truthorfiction.com/rumors/v/va-test-permit.htm

The first one is too, probably.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior Member Posts: 4,324 Senior Member
    Standard answer is starting to become: "All my guns where on my boat that sank a few years back ..."

Thanks to who ever stared that response way back!
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,865 Senior Member
    Big Chief wrote: »
    1. Did I feel stressed? 2. Did I feel threatened? 3. Did I feel like doing harm to someone?
    Those are typical questions that I've seen asked to combat veterans seeking care @ a VA hospital.
    The rest of the story sounds pretty fishy to me.
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,968 Senior Member
    I wish I could have read Monkeyboy's links, but, my computer went unresponsive trying to open them.

I have been asked those questions, both at the family Quack's office and the VA.
    The family Doc already knew I hunted and with whom.
    The VA is searching for veterans with PTSD and were asking such questions long before Obama-care and Obama being president.

I personally know a Federal Game Warden that has guns at home and carries a gun when on and off duty and when he got his first job had to get a CCW for off duty carry because of some glitch at the time. He has a VA PTSD rating.

The issue with a VA PTSD rating is that you have to be evaluated by a shrink and are at the mercy of someone that may be anti gun and that may not end well if the shrink lets an anti gun agenda influence his eval.

When asked the gun questions at medical places, I tell them I know why they're asking and I do not have PTSD.
    That ends the questions.

I believe the center for Disease Control, also, requires these questions and has been long before Obamacare.

A military retiree that has been in combat stands to make a bundle of money if he is willing to chance gun ownership
    with a PTSD rating since it is 100% and combat related, so they would get the 100% VA payment and their retirement, both tax free.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • ghostsniper1ghostsniper1 Banned Posts: 2,645 Senior Member
    I was asked those questions on a form I filled out at my sons pediatrician. I answered no.
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,657 Senior Member
    I don't think it is illegal, yet, to lie to your doctor.
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    When I lived in Maryland ( 2002 aprox ) My PCP office Nurse handed Me three forms with questions about illegal drug use, if I felt safe, did I have any guns in the home etc...... I drew a diagonal line across each page and wrote, non of these questions are applicable to My medical treatment as a patient.

My Doctor, a hunter and avid shooter thought it was funny, he blamed the new paperwork on his Nurse.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • bruchibruchi Senior Member Posts: 2,582 Senior Member
    I got no guns, I do however have a bunch of "COHETES".
    If this post is non welcomed, I can always give you a recipe for making "tostones".
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 15,070 Senior Member
    My physician's nurse handed me one of these forms back in MI. I wrote "None of Your Business"...she handed the form back and said "You need to answer this question." I added an obscenity in the appropriate spot and asked "Do you get the message now?"...apparently she did because she chose to let it go...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • SlanteyedshootistSlanteyedshootist Senior Member Posts: 3,947 Senior Member
    Never been asked those questions by a medical professional. But I did try to send a chain mail once. Boy, was the postage expensive.
    The answer to 1984 is 1776
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    Well, I'm on Medicare and nobody has ever asked me about guns, one way or another. This includes my own physician, hospital admissions, nurses, doctors in the hospital, my Medicare provider, nobody. When leaving the hospital a couple months ago (I was in for some tests, all negative) I was asked by my Medicare provider whether I felt "safe" at home but this was only regarding mobility and fall or trip hazards, nothing about firearms or anythings related. So Medicare requiring this info is BS.

I do know that when I updated my State Farm renter's policy my agent asked me to send her a list of my personal property (computers, other electronics, other valuables) and the form she gave me to work from included a separate area to list firearms. Of course this is Texas.

Scopes and elsewhere they say the Medicare and VA thing is yet another hoax, and I believe that. I do agree that it's not wise to talk a lot about what possible valuables you own anyway.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
    That question, "Do you feel safe at home?"; seems to be the new fishing for something question.

Both Clean and I have been asked it with out any indication of what issue was being asked about and I'm not sure the providers, for the most part, know why they're asking except that they are required to ask. But, I do believe that if the answer meets certain predetermined protocols, it would be reported according to the protocol and entered in the responders medical record.

Reported where?
    I suppose it varies, police, child welfare, VA, mental health agencies, Homeland Security; maybe even the issuers of tinfoil hats.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • WhitewookieWhitewookie Member Posts: 181 Member
    NN wrote: »
    I wish I could have read Monkeyboy's links, but, my computer went unresponsive trying to open them.

I have been asked those questions, both at the family Quack's office and the VA.
    The family Doc already knew I hunted and with whom.
    The VA is searching for veterans with PTSD and were asking such questions long before Obama-care and Obama being president.

I personally know a Federal Game Warden that has guns at home and carries a gun when on and off duty and when he got his first job had to get a CCW for off duty carry because of some glitch at the time. He has a VA PTSD rating.

The issue with a VA PTSD rating is that you have to be evaluated by a shrink and are at the mercy of someone that may be anti gun and that may not end well if the shrink lets an anti gun agenda influence his eval.

When asked the gun questions at medical places, I tell them I know why they're asking and I do not have PTSD.
    That ends the questions.

I believe the center for Disease Control, also, requires these questions and has been long before Obamacare.

A military retiree that has been in combat stands to make a bundle of money if he is willing to chance gun ownership
    with a PTSD rating since it is 100% and combat related, so they would get the 100% VA payment and their retirement, both tax free.

Retirement is NOT TAX FREE. Disability is tax free but is deducted from you retirement unless it's over 50%. i.e. I am rated at 10% disabled which equates to a about $150 a month from the VA. They simply deduct $150 from my retirement and send it to the VA. The VA sends me the 150 tax free, but the re3st of my retirement is taxed at the MAXIMIUM RATE. If I was more than 50% disabled I'd get the 50% tax free, it wouldn't be deducted. But my retirement would still be taxed.

That is one of the big myths that the libs pass around... That military retirement isn't taxed. IT IS. It shouldn't be, but it is.
    RV,
    Harry
    "I never learned from a man who agreed with me." - Robert Heinlein
  • rbsivleyrbsivley Senior Member Posts: 1,055 Senior Member
    I get the social issues questions at the local VA clinic but they have never ask about guns. During my initial visit in 07 she told me I qualified for mental health but I don't know why because the questions were pretty generic. I told her no I wasn't going to mental health. After dealing with the mental health system since 2001 with my wife it ain't nothing for me. I've never been ask any social issues or gun questions at the VA hospital in B'ham.
    Randy

Rank does not concur privileges. It imposes responsibility. Author unknown
    Whitewookie:
    I miss spoke, your right.

What I should have said was this:
    If you get a VA disability from a combat issue related to an act or instrument of war while in a war zone,
    you get your VA payment deducted from retirement; then you can apply for CRSC, combat related special compensation, that will be equal in amount to the VA payment. CRSC is, also, not taxed. There are some other provisions for this in the VA handbook as well, page 27 refers. crsc can be a payment less than what the retired pay would have been.

So, if your retired on 20 or more you can get full VA + an equal amount CRSC non taxed. For many that will about equal
    VA payment + retired pay even though it all is in lieu of retirement as you said.
  • pbearperrypbearperry Member Posts: 91 Member
    Last Friday I had a Doctor appointment and was asked to update my info.One of the questions was do I own firearms and do I have young children living with me.Being in a good mood I answered no instead of leaving it blank.I believe that the Medical Association has asked Doctors to ask this and several other questions like,Do you wear seat belts?
  • rbsivleyrbsivley Senior Member Posts: 1,055 Senior Member
    There was an article last year about GA having option for Vets putting on their license that you suffer from PTSD. This was suppose to give LEO a heads up. For what I don't know. My wife was diagnosed with PTSD and she's never served in the Military, other than as spouse.
    Randy

Rank does not concur privileges. It imposes responsibility. Author unknown
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 10,251 Senior Member
    I've never heard any of this and I've been treated at a VA hospital several times. The recording you get when you call the VA asks if you're thinking of harming yourself, but never about whether I own guns. I even went thru PTSD screening and never was asked anything of the kind, although I was asked if I got along with my father. I replied that he died when I was 12, and never had any issues.

If I were a nurse, I would want to know a bit about the person to whom I would pay a home visit. Like if he was a convicted rapist or had a record of assault. I mean, there are lots of paranoid nuts out there, and if I were a paranoid nut and couldn't come to the door (which is the main reason to have a home visit) I'd probably have gun in my hand when someone opened my door.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    "I mean, there are lots of paranoid nuts out there, and if I were a paranoid nut and couldn't come to the door (which is the main reason to have a home visit) I'd probably have gun in my hand when someone opened my door. "

I get paranoid when people I did not invite open My door.

:jester:
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • rberglofrberglof Senior Member Posts: 2,386 Senior Member
    I have never been asked about firearms but when I fill out paper work at a doctors office and see something that does not pertain to why I am there I do not fill it in, have yet to be asked to finish filling out the paper work.
  • BakermanBakerman Member Posts: 382 Member
    My dentist asks about my guns all the time. And he tells me about his. He reloads in the office work room.

At my faux heart attack they didn't ask about guns but asked me if anybody abused me. I said no. But I was thinking, "No, what have you got in mind.?"
    Bakerman formerly known as Bakerman