Home Main Category Second Amendment/Politics

Romney says Obama will erode the rights of gun owners in speech to NRA

13»

Replies

• Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,670 Senior Member
    CaliFFL wrote: »
    I cannot see how you can equate "freedom loving individuals" with Romney's record or the Republican party as a whole. Everytime you cast a vote for some pathetic RINO you tell the GOP, "Hey this is what we want. PLease sir, may I have some more?" Maybe, just maybe, if the GOP loses enough elections, they will get a clue. That won't happen if people like you will vote for whatever is offered. Remember: Padded chains are still chains.
    There will be NO CHANCE for "getting a clue" later. I have no illusions about Romney, but I'd rather risk having at least as much freedom as I have right now, than risk having NONE, after the election.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,395 Senior Member
    :topic: Thread hijack in progress:

When people asked Ben Franklin what kind of government the framers had instituted, he replied, "A republic, if you can keep it!". We have been degenerating into a democracy for a long time now. When is the last time you heard a politician of ANY stripe refer to the government as "our republic"? Been a long time, I bet. They have been referring to the government as "our democracy" for decades now, and it is now pretty much a fait accompli. Incrementalism has slowly gutted our republic as surely as termites gut a wood frame house, if given the chance. Republics degenerate into democracies, and the democracies then degenerate into dictatorships or some other form entirely unlike its noble beginnings. History shows that time to be about 200 years, more or less, from republic to a mere shadow of it's former self. I doubt the framers would even recognize the monstrosity that rules from D.C. now.

So we now find ourselves with the choices of Obama or Romney. Obama is the guillotine and Romney is lethal injection to our freedom, IMHO. The only choice available is which way you want to go out. The republic is on it's deathbed and nobody gives it any notice.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • beartrackerbeartracker Senior Member Posts: 3,116 Senior Member
    Interesting Mike, and a great deal of truth to what you are saying about the Republic becoming a Democracy, but not quit in agreement with your analogy of Romeny. In essence this thread has become to convoluted, cluttered and gratuitous for any real coherent direction much less any reasonable consensus of conclusion - so I will find other threads to occupy my time with on this forum. It has been fun but I don't feel like expending the effort and energy needed to empty this thread with it's garbage truck load of different stuff (absolutely no reflection on what you wrote Mike, in fact it has merit).
  • CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Posts: 5,486 Senior Member
    There will be NO CHANCE for "getting a clue" later. I have no illusions about Romney, but I'd rather risk having at least as much freedom as I have right now, than risk having NONE, after the election.

I see/hear this repeated over and over. If we as group, really believe the end of freedom in America is one election away, then it is time to seriously consider a different box.
    When our governing officials dismiss due process as mere semantics, when they exercise powers they don’t have and ignore duties they actually bear, and when we let them get away with it, we have ceased to be our own rulers.

Adam J. McCleod

The conclusion is that just about everyone is disgusted with their options come November for one reason or another.

FIFY
    When our governing officials dismiss due process as mere semantics, when they exercise powers they don’t have and ignore duties they actually bear, and when we let them get away with it, we have ceased to be our own rulers.

Adam J. McCleod

• Big BatteryBig Battery Member Posts: 203 Member
    At his core I do not believe Romney is in favor of private gun ownership. Romney's core constituency is the true Elite. Not the small business owner/doctor/lawyer 1% that the OWS guys are screaming about but the cream of the crop elite, the .001%. Private gun ownership is a threat to the security of these folks and they don't care about the 2A because they can hire their own private security forces that are above the law (at least civilian firearms laws). History has shown again and again that the wealth distribution can only become so top heavy before the peasants revolt and start chopping off heads. We're not there yet, but we get closer and closer with each passing day and the policies so far of Obama (93% of the benefits of the economic recovery have gone to the top 1%) and Romney will only continue to accelerate us along the path.

Well said.

The tired argument and threat that the SCOTUS justice selection cant be left up to Obama is bogus when you consider that there is ZERO guarantee that Romney will do any better than Obama. Romney has come down in about every situation against the Constitution... whether it is his comments on guns or extending the expired federal AWB in Massachusetts. His is part of the power brokers and they have allowed the "others" to run to provide the illusion of a choice. The media - the propaganda arm of the power brokers - are in lockstep with the push for Romney. Either as an equal replacement for Obama or simply fodder for the Obama machine. Obama is going to crush Romney due to his flip-flopping. Obama has him beat on about every subject that he can run on. Obama has waged a strong(yet unConstitutional) war on terror, he has extended the Bush tax cuts, he has given tax cuts(payroll tax holiday), he implemented RomneyCare nationwide, signed Patriot Act extension, "saved" GM ala, Bain Capital style... Romney is simply Obama-lite. If someone who voted for Obama the first time wanted a choice, they arent getting one in Romney.

btw: The NRA should never have let him speak at the convention. The NRA is close to getting their card back.
  • tv_racin_fantv_racin_fan Senior Member Posts: 660 Senior Member
    I am hearing that what Romney signed was not in fact a permanent extension of the AWB but was in fact a clarification that was in favor of gun owners.

http://www.goal.org/newspages/romney.html

Guess maybe I might be holding my nose yet...
    Q: As governor you signed into law one of the toughest restrictions on assault weapons in the country.

A: Let’s get the record straight. First of all, there’s no question that I support 2nd Amendment rights, but I also support an assault weapon ban. Look, I’ve been governor in a pretty tough state. You’ve heard of blue states. In the toughest of blue states, I made the toughest decisions and did what was right for America. I have conservative values.

Mitt Romney doesnt trust you with scary looking guns.
    He does not stand for the Constitution, he will compromise away the Bill of Rights. He really is not much different than Obama.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    Oh, yes, Im reaaaaaaaaaal inspired. Sure, it was nice speech. ALL politicians give nice speeches. Its called "blowing smoke (or sunshine) up my ". Its lip service. Complete and total bovine squeeze. Its all done to get elected. Then once elected, the excuses come for why the promises can not be delivered on. Im jaded. I FREELY admit that. Dont piss down my back and tell me its raining. Tell me you are pissing down my back. Ill at least know you are being honest, even if you are a douche bag.
    Look, NO ONE will EVER be 100% satisfied with ANY candidate, EVER. It simply cant happen. (unless they themselves run) I get it, I understand it. Will he be better than Big O? Well, who wouldn't?
    I knew my comments would draw this reaction. Call it a successful fishing trip on my part. I knew folks would ignore the fact that a man who WAS IN FAVOR OF AN ASSAULT WEAPONS BAN AND OTHER OPPRESSIVE GUN LAWS got on stage at an NRA convention of all places to toot his own horn, only to say "well, he is much better than Obama, anything he has done before is OK with us, as long as O gets voted out."
    Disgusting, really.

He's a Politician ****!!! But I'll take a Politician over a Communist anyday. Re-read what Bigslug said. He's right on!!!
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    NN wrote: »
    Well, if old Ron could win; he would be winning all the primaries by a land slide and he is not.

You are exactly right NN!!! Nothing more to say here. We only have one real choice. Otherwise Obama will be in the driver's seat. And you ain't seen crap yet!!! Wait til the second act...
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,493 Senior Member
    2 Questions:

1. Who signed the Massachusetts Assault Weapons Ban?

2. Who signed the bill allowing concealed carry in National Parks?
    Overkill is underrated.
    NN wrote: »
    Well, if old Ron could win; he would be winning all the primaries by a land slide and he is not.

If ole Romney could win then he would be getting more than 35% of the vote in each REPUBLICAN primary.
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,493 Senior Member
    Depends on the nature of the primary. If there are 3 candidates and it's winner take all, you only more votes than anyone else, which is 33% +1. Same as in the general election: you just need the most votes.
    Overkill is underrated.
    It is suffice to say that Tampa will be interesting...
    I see/hear this repeated over and over. If we as group, really believe the end of freedom in America is one election away, then it is time to seriously consider a different box.
    Only if Box #3 has a chance of winning. Conservatives don't like Ron Paul for his drug legalization stance and foreign policy positions. I have seen this first hand from being a member of some conservative blog-forums and having FB friends who are heading conservative groups. The hostility is unbelievable, and you can't elect a Republican without this group of people. I gave a few of these groups the boot off my FB page because of their constant harping about RP.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    .....and you can't elect a Republican without this group of people.

I absolutely agree with this statement. It is also becoming very clear that you can't elect a Republican without libertarian support. Shoving the drug war (police state) down our throats is not the way to garner our support. I could accept republican foreign policy, because it can be argued as successful. This is not the case with Prohibition II.

Adam J. McCleod

.......It is also becoming very clear that you can't elect a Republican without libertarian support......
    Absolutely! That is why I got so pissed off when some of the people on FB would start calling him names. I tried being diplomatic about it and told a few of them they were making a mistake by being so harsh to RP supporters, and that we needed them to win the election, but they wouldn't hear of it and then turned on me. I just ended up blocking the group leaders because of being tired of reading the anti-RP rants.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    Rasmussen, who has an extremely accurate track record, disagrees with you. Take a minute and simply digest who has put the idea that Ron Paul cant win and Romney is the chosen one into your mind. Yup, the same media that wants Obama back in office.

Are you going to keep letting them tell you what to think?

No the media didn't put that in my head. I pay absolutely no attention to the media. I left them 30-40 years ago. I have seen it happen and people like you will keep Obama in office four more years. And you won't get anywhere by electing a solid congress. Obama's ace in the hole is that he can appoint and will appoint super liberal SCOTUS justices. And when he does, we are SCREWED!!! Romney may too, but we know what Obama will do.

I love Ron Paul. He is MY Representative. But I'm not falling for that crap about him winning if he doesn't get the nomination. NO WAY!!! In 1992, Just enough voted for Ross Perot to beat George H.W. Bush. In 2008, Just enough stayed home and refused to vote for McCain to put Obama in the White House. You are the ones falling for the media's line of crap, not me.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    I've got more respect for the hookers- - - - -at least they admit they're for sale to the highers bidder!
    Jerry
    snake284 wrote: »
    No the media didn't put that in my head. I pay absolutely no attention to the media. I left them 30-40 years ago. I have seen it happen and people like you will keep Obama in office four more years. And you won't get anywhere by electing a solid congress. Obama's ace in the hole is that he can appoint and will appoint super liberal SCOTUS justices. And when he does, we are SCREWED!!! Romney may too, but we know what Obama will do.

I love Ron Paul. He is MY Representative. But I'm not falling for that crap about him winning if he doesn't get the nomination. NO WAY!!! In 1992, Just enough voted for Ross Perot to beat George H.W. Bush. In 2008, Just enough stayed home and refused to vote for McCain to put Obama in the White House. You are the ones falling for the media's line of crap, not me.

If you still believe Ross Perot cost Bush Sr the election, I cant do much for you. Read your post... sounds to me like the GOP makes plenty of excuses for not winning, the least of which is they have lost their way.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Has the NRA "Graded" Romney?
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • tv_racin_fantv_racin_fan Senior Member Posts: 660 Senior Member
    2 Questions:

1. Who signed the Massachusetts Assault Weapons Ban?

I believe that was in 1994 so it would have been... William Weld. ooo my mistake it would have been in 1998 and that would have been... Paul Celluci. Well.. I am wrong again and it would have been Mitt Romney in 2004. Tho that particular bill did some good things for gun owners it also apparently clarified exactly what is an assault weapon in Mass and made the ban permanent. Or at least this particular article makes that claim...

2. Who signed the bill allowing concealed carry in National Parks?

That would have been President Obama however in all fairness that was included as an amendment on his much vaunted credit card reform.
    Big Chief wrote: »
    Has the NRA "Graded" Romney?

Romney cannot claim a life of gun enthusiasm. The director of the NRA’s lobbying branch, Chris Cox, introduced the former Massachusetts governor
    as a “life member of the NRA,” but Romney signed up for his lifetime membership just six years ago, when he first explored running for president as a Republican.
    Nor can the NRA claim a long courtship of Romney. In 2002, the lobby did not endorse his run for governor, despite his Meet the Press claim to the contrary. In that race, the NRA gave Romney a B grade, but gave his Democratic opponent, Shannon O’Brien, an A.

Source: http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2012/04/13/newt-gingrich-calls-for-universal-right-to-bear-arms-at-nra-forum.html

Romney's Meet the Press interview: http://voices.washingtonpost.com/44/2007/12/romney-claims-nra-endorsement.html

Adam J. McCleod