Home Main Category Second Amendment/Politics

Income Tax

bisleybisley Senior MemberPosts: 10,798 Senior Member
I've just finished E-filing my income taxes, and as usual, I'm completely disgusted.

I always torture myself, at the end of the process, by ticking off all the wonderful things the government does for me, and evaluating whether it justifies the $35-$40 a day I pay for them. Heck, I didn't even earn $40 a day until about the time my first child was born.

Let's see here, now. They defend the borders - no wait...the Texas Rangers and a few ranchers do most of that.

They fix the potholes in the Interstate, or at least hire illegal aliens to do it.

They deliver my mail, occasionally, if my mailbox meets the stringent specifications of size, height, most convenient side of the road (for them), etc.

They give my state some money to educate and feed my children - no wait...my children are grown, and besides I work for a living, so I don't qualify for any of that.

Let's see here...a...a...help me out here, folks. At the moment, I'm thinking that, basically, I work so that I can send a pile of money to be used by people I do not trust or agree with on most things, to be spent as they see fit. They get to choose the charities I 'donate' to and how much each gets, while I end up short-changing the ones I genuinely care about.

Make me feel better about this...Alf? ...Hakkonen? ....anybody?

Replies

• breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,493 Senior Member
    Well, there is that whole "military" that we fund through taxes...
    Overkill is underrated.
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,798 Senior Member
    Well, there is that whole "military" that we fund through taxes...

Yeah, if I knew that most of that was trickling down to military families, and that their Commander-In-Chief was looking out for their interests, I wouldn't whine about it.
  • robert38-55robert38-55 Senior Member Posts: 3,621 Senior Member
    bisley wrote: »
    I've just finished E-filing my income taxes, and as usual, I'm completely disgusted.

I always torture myself, at the end of the process, by ticking off all the wonderful things the government does for me, and evaluating whether it justifies the $35-$40 a day I pay for them. Heck, I didn't even earn $40 a day until about the time my first child was born.

Let's see here, now. They defend the borders - no wait...the Texas Rangers and a few ranchers do most of that.

They fix the potholes in the Interstate, or at least hire illegal aliens to do it.

They deliver my mail, occasionally, if my mailbox meets the stringent specifications of size, height, most convenient side of the road (for them), etc.

They give my state some money to educate and feed my children - no wait...my children are grown, and besides I work for a living, so I don't qualify for any of that.

Let's see here...a...a...help me out here, folks. At the moment, I'm thinking that, basically, I work so that I can send a pile of money to be used by people I do not trust or agree with on most things, to be spent as they see fit. They get to choose the charities I 'donate' to and how much each gets, while I end up short-changing the ones I genuinely care about.

Make me feel better about this...Alf? ...Hakkonen? ....anybody?

Agreed^^^^^^^^^ Your's and mine, tax dollars at work!!!!!!!!!!
    "It is what it is":usa:
    bisley wrote: »
    Yeah, if I knew that most of that was trickling down to military families, and that their Commander-In-Chief was looking out for their interests, I wouldn't whine about it.

:that::agree: Spending my tax dollars on Military folks, and veterans, I have no problem with. I would like to see more done for our Vets!!!!!!!!!
    :angry::angry::angry::uhm::nono: We filed our tax returns and sent them in two months ago, and still are waiting for the refund. Found out that one could track progess of one's tax returns so I kept checking the on line progess. Well yesterday when I checked, a message came on the site and said, please don't check any more your refund will be sent to you on May,14,2012. The message also said that the IRS is experiencing delays in processing returns due to a new computer system, lack of personall, and being overwhelmed with too many returns.
  • CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Posts: 5,486 Senior Member
    Just this week, there is a brand new bright yellow locked gate across the forestry road I frequent the most. I imagine it was some of the stimulus money that needed spending.

We are now locked out of property we own. That is a fine use of our tax dollars. :roll:
    When our governing officials dismiss due process as mere semantics, when they exercise powers they don’t have and ignore duties they actually bear, and when we let them get away with it, we have ceased to be our own rulers.

Adam J. McCleod

• kansashunterkansashunter Senior Member Posts: 1,812 Senior Member
    I agree with you I don't see a lot of return for the money I pay in taxes but I think if you look at where the feds spend our money little goes where you talked about. Also the post office gets no tax money.
  • AiredaleAiredale Banned Posts: 624 Senior Member
    Another government mandate.
    I would add another 50 bucks to provide health care to the most neady.
    How many lives and how much treasure did we lose in Viet nam?
    Not to mention Iraq and Afghanistan.
    I know people with no insurance.
    They go to the emergency room.
    That's the most expensive kind of health insurance.
    We all pay for it anyway by insurance company rates.
    Take the insurance companies out of the equasion and we'd save money.
    Jim
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,706 Senior Member
    robert38-55:
    You'll like this then.

We filed sometime in Feb and checked the block to roll the refund of a small amount over to apply to next years taxes.

We got that money refunded anyway two weeks ago.
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
    Airedale wrote: »
    I know people with no insurance.

So do I. They pay cash and negotiate for the best price, or pay it out over time.

As for the government mandate, it isn't necessary as long as there are folks like you who willingly donate their hard-earned money to take care of the poor....you are donating that 50 bucks, already, I assume?

Or are you waiting for the government to make you do it?
    Also the post office gets no tax money.

No wonder they've been broke for thirty years.
  • coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 6,610 Senior Member
    I'm with you too Bisley. I really do understand that there are many useful things that our various governing bodies do on a daily basis. I also understand that at least a significant portion of those things are of little or no use to me or my family. I futher understand that, on an ever increasing scale people are making use of those services while not paying for same, or at least not paying as much as receiving. As the guy footing the bill, I'm a little put off. Since buying our house in 1994, our property taxes have increased in cost 67% ($1349 our first go-round, and just a tic shy of $2000 this last time) while dropping two major services from the 'menu' that were previously included, namely city sewer/water and lawn/leaf pickup. If I figure the current cost of those two services into the equation (about $75 month for sewer/water and $300 per season for the lawn/leaf service) the increase is nearly 140%! Add to that the $10 surcharge to auto registration fees that my city imposes for the privilege of living within city limits (street maintenance...care to guess the condition of most of the streets here?) and the willingness of the city to fine at the drop of a hat and you begin to get the feeling that joe taxpayer is nothing more than a piggybank.

Of course, your post was about income tax but the point remains the same.
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    We need a flat tax/tax reform of some kind. The current system is overly complicated.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
    We all have stuff that we don't like that the government does, but that's the price of living in a modern democracy with 300M+ other people. We all have to chip in whether we like it or not.

No, it's not. We are supposed to be a republic, and the people we elect to represent us are supposed to decide how to spend the part of our earnings we allow them to have...wisely. Democracies don't survive indefinitely because the non-producers get to select the leaders that will give them what they want, at the expense of the producers, who are now the smaller voting block, or will be soon. It makes no difference what poor people need, if the producers cannot support them.

I'm old enough to remember that everybody used to work and live within their means, or line up for subsistence level groceries and volunteered medical services, paid for by private charities. The government didn't allow immigration, unless the person either had a sponsor or job skills that made their self-sufficiency and ability to pay taxes probable. Nobody starved. Small business flourished, because all they needed was a store front and desire to produce. Most of them failed two or three times before they got it right, but they kept trying till they got it right, or took a job with someone else who got it right.

How hard is it to figure out that the government cannot keep screwing the producers to 'temporarily' support the non-producers? It worked for quite a few years, because the government was still 'allowing' producers to flourish, but that has been slowed, steadily, over the years, and will inevitably come to a dead stop, at our current rate of decline.

The government will run out of other people's money to spend, at the current rate, and it shouldn't take much longer.
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,669 Senior Member
    I'll bet the ones screeching O-ba-ma, O-ba-ma, O-ba-ma, are happy with the results of the graduated income tax.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!
    There's no bracket on the income tax form to allow that.
    If there were, I'd do it.
    Hospital emergency rooms are required to give care to anyone. Regardless of their status.
    That's the most expensive type of heath care. Taxpayers end up paying for it anyway.
    Jim
    Hospital emergency rooms are required to give care to anyone. Regardless of their status.
    That's the most expensive type of heath care. Taxpayers end up paying for it anyway.
    Jim
    How do taxpayers end up paying for it if it doesn't get tax dollars?
    Overkill is underrated.
  • sherwoodsherwood Senior Member Posts: 1,220 Senior Member
    Your tax dollars pay for my retirement. Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I may be old but I ain't dead!
    DPRMD

Here ya go. I found this for you.

[h=2]Gifts to the United States Government[/h] How do I make a contribution to the U.S. government?
    Citizens who wish to make a general donation to the U.S. government may send contributions to a specific account called "Gifts to the United States." This account was established in 1843 to accept gifts, such as bequests, from individuals wishing to express their patriotism to the United States. Money deposited into this account is for general use by the federal government and can be available for budget needs. These contributions are considered an unconditional gift to the government. Financial gifts can be made by check or money order payable to the United States Treasury and mailed to the address below.
    Gifts to the United States
    U.S. Department of the Treasury
    Credit Accounting Branch
    3700 East-West Highway, Room 622D
    Hyattsville, MD 20782
    Any tax-related questions regarding these contributions should be directed to the Internal Revenue Servicearrow_exit_left.gif at (800) 829-1040.
    Hospitals are required by the federal government to give care to the most indigent.
    That equates to taxpayers paying their medical costs.
    Don't y'all see, we're paying for it anyway??
    I say again, emergency room health care is the most expensive.
    The insurance companies set a rate for specified procedures, the government is obliged to pay it, how ever inflated it may be.
    I can't understand how you folks don't see that.
    Again, where does the tax money the hospitals get come from? How is my tax money going to pay for an indigent person who can't pay?

Also, you're incorrect about insurance rates for procedures and the government being obliged to pay the rate. The hospital sets a price and either insurance or the government pays their price. In the case of insurance, they negotiate a lower price than the hospital bills. The government pays an even lower price than the insurance by stating they won't pay any more. In general, it's those without insurance who pay the highest prices, unless they're declared indigent whereby they get a negotiated rate. In general, it's those with insurance who are defraying the costs of those who can't pay.

We don't see what you're seeing because that's not how it is.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • tv_racin_fantv_racin_fan Senior Member Posts: 660 Senior Member
    Hospitals are required by the federal government to give care to the most indigent.
    That equates to taxpayers paying their medical costs.
    Don't y'all see, we're paying for it anyway??
    I say again, emergency room health care is the most expensive.
    The insurance companies set a rate for specified procedures, the government is obliged to pay it, how ever inflated it may be.
    I can't understand how you folks don't see that.

I don't see it because that aint how the govt works. Why do you think some doctors don't do medicare or severly limit the amount of medicare patients they see? The govt doesn't pay insurance corporations for medical care that I am aware of, they pay doctors and hospitals and they do not pay whatever charge those doctors and hospitals want them to pay.

My wife is in the medical field, where she works the civilians pay x amount and govt pays the lessor medicare amount for the same service. Brother in law also in the medical field sees the exact same deal where he works.
  • tv_racin_fantv_racin_fan Senior Member Posts: 660 Senior Member
    I agree with you I don't see a lot of return for the money I pay in taxes but I think if you look at where the feds spend our money little goes where you talked about. Also the post office gets no tax money.

Actually the Post Office does get tax dollars according to at least one source I could find.

"The USPS does get some taxpayer support. Around $96 million is budgeted annually by Congress for the "Postal Service Fund." These funds are used to compensate USPS for postage-free mailing for all legally blind persons and for mail-in election ballots sent from US citizens living overseas. A portion of the funds also pays USPS for providing address information to state and local child support enforcement agencies."