Home Main Category Second Amendment/Politics

Will the VP running mate make any difference in how you vote?

JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior MemberPosts: 7,934 Senior Member
I know that there's a number of folks in here who will probably not vote for Romney. I'm not one of them. I don't particularly like Mitt, but I consider him the lesser of two evils when stacked up against Obama, so I'll vote for him. Actually, I should say that I will vote for the Republican candidate, and am assuming it will be Romney.

For those of you on the fence, or who just won't vote for Romney, will the VP candidate have any influence regarding your vote? If you absolutely hate the presidential candidate, but really like his/her running mate, will it sway you? Is there a person you have in mind that has that degree of influence with you?

Conversely, what if Obama were to drop Biden, and chose someone from the current crop of Democrats? Is there any among them who you think highly enough of to make you vote for Obama?
Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.

Replies

• CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Posts: 5,486 Senior Member
    Last cycle, I drank my antiemetic and voted for McCain because I liked Palin. To be perfectly honest, I thought there was a decent chance that McCain wouldn't make the entire four years.

I felt the same way about McCain then as I do Romney now. He needs to pick a libertarian-leaning running mate to make any difference to me.
    When our governing officials dismiss due process as mere semantics, when they exercise powers they don’t have and ignore duties they actually bear, and when we let them get away with it, we have ceased to be our own rulers.

Adam J. McCleod

• tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,395 Senior Member
    Not really. The Vice President has been relevant only 8 times in history. And that was when the President died in office. And then there was the ninth time when Nixon resigned. Other than those instances, the VP is mostly irrelevant.

Hillary may quit her job at the end of this term. There is some rumor mongering going around that Obama may dump Biden and get Hillary to run as VP. If that ticket won, it would set her up for 2016. An Obama/Clinton ticket would draw a lot of votes; more than an Obama/Biden ticket. If Obama keeps Biden, and Hillary stays as Secretary of State, it would hamper her running in the 2016 race as the Secretary of State is generally expected to stay out of running for office while holding the office of Secretary of State.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,733 Senior Member
    In 2008 I very nearly voted for Bob Barr (Libertarian candidate) because of Sarah Palin. Her current choice to abandon her post as AK Gov. to ride the fame bandwagon with books, reality TV, etc, reinforces the dislike I had for her from the start. (prepares self for barrage from Palin supporters)

However, in general I do not put much concern over who is VP.
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski
  • CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Posts: 5,486 Senior Member
    Her current choice to abandon her post as AK Gov. to ride the fame bandwagon with books, reality TV, etc, reinforces the dislike I had for her from the start.

This is why I would never vote for her again.
    When our governing officials dismiss due process as mere semantics, when they exercise powers they don’t have and ignore duties they actually bear, and when we let them get away with it, we have ceased to be our own rulers.

Adam J. McCleod

• Big BatteryBig Battery Member Posts: 203 Member
    JerryBobCo wrote: »
    I know that there's a number of folks in here who will probably not vote for Romney. I'm not one of them. I don't particularly like Mitt, but I consider him the lesser of two evils when stacked up against Obama, so I'll vote for him. Actually, I should say that I will vote for the Republican candidate, and am assuming it will be Romney.

For those of you on the fence, or who just won't vote for Romney, will the VP candidate have any influence regarding your vote? If you absolutely hate the presidential candidate, but really like his/her running mate, will it sway you? Is there a person you have in mind that has that degree of influence with you?

Conversely, what if Obama were to drop Biden, and chose someone from the current crop of Democrats? Is there any among them who you think highly enough of to make you vote for Obama?

Do you have a suggestion?
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    For me, it will make zero difference who's the VP nominee, either party, because I'm voting Republican anyway.

I do think however that the VP choice will influence some borderline voters. We all know that the VP makes little difference in truth, unless of course the Prez leaves office or dies. But there are plenty of casual voters who expect "balance" in the ticket, for some reason.

Incidentally, I'm guessing Rubio for Romney's VP. And that Biden will stay for the Demos.
  • KENFU1911KENFU1911 Senior Member Posts: 1,052 Senior Member
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Sure, if Hussein drops Biden and somehow manages to bring Reagan back from the dead I MIGHT consider voting Democrat. Other than that Mitt could be running on a ticket with Bozo the Clown as his VP and he'd still get my vote...

Same here....I'm at the anything but Obama stage...just like I was last election.........Ken
    My idea of a warning shot is when the 2nd bad guy watches his 1st buddy go down....
  • AiredaleAiredale Banned Posts: 624 Senior Member
    Marco Rubio's a phoney, ask the Cuban community in Miami. A pretty boy who tries to say the right things. Fact is, he can't remember his own family history. He says that his family left Cuba after Castro. Actually they left Cuba before Castro took power taking their money with them as most of the moneyed Cuban families did.
    As an afterthought, voting a straight ticket in any election contradicts the essence of our democracy.
  • AiredaleAiredale Banned Posts: 624 Senior Member
    How about voting for the right person regardless of party affiliations!
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,493 Senior Member
    Airedale wrote: »
    How about voting for the right person regardless of party affiliations!

But what if they're all in the same party?
    Overkill is underrated.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    Sure, if Hussein drops Biden and somehow manages to bring Reagan back from the dead I MIGHT consider voting Democrat. Other than that Mitt could be running on a ticket with Bozo the Clown as his VP and he'd still get my vote...[/QUOTE

Well I'll be! Sanity on the forum!!! Thank You for that Wambli, I felt like the lone ranger's horse, all alone. I'm here to tell you people that as of now Romney is the only real choice if you give a damn about the second amendment. Romney wasn't my favorite, but I know he's not as liberal as some make him out to be. And yes, he sucks up to us like a sponge and will say what is necessary to get elected. But Hell, they all will do that. I just look at it as Romney is less skillfull at deception as most and you can plainly see right through him.

I repeat, Romney couldn't very well get elected in Massachusetts doing his Ronald Reagan or Barry Goldwater impersonation. No way! And for Massachusetts I would bet he was a great governor.

Also, I think he's probably way more conservative than most think. He's a business man and a pretty good one at that. Successful businessmen are rarely liberal. You can say Warren Buffet, but I never heard of Warren Buffet until a few years back and I would bet before he got old and senile he wasn't this liberal. He's just having a LONG senior moment.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,088 Senior Member
    will the VP candidate have any influence regarding your vote?
    Nope, not in the least
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• PFDPFD Senior Member Posts: 1,331 Senior Member
    Is there any among them who you think highly enough of to make you vote for Obama?

:rotflmao:

:vomit:
    That's all I got.

Paul
    Marco Rubio's a phoney, ask the Cuban community in Miami. A pretty boy who tries to say the right things. Fact is, he can't remember his own family history. He says that his family left Cuba after Castro. Actually they left Cuba before Castro took power taking their money with them as most of the moneyed Cuban families did.
    As an afterthought, voting a straight ticket in any election contradicts the essence of our democracy.

Well, depends on what you mean by a straight ticket. As you may know, at one time the runner-up in the general election was the VP, so if a Republican won, the Democrat would be the Veep.

In many venues, local and county candidates for things like judge are not listed by party anyway, and you may have 3-4 candidates for one seat. So you can't vote a straight ticket if you try. The way the process works in that way, is that if you DO pick all Democrat or Republican, the non-party seats and propositions and bond issues stay un-checked and you've got to go thru each one separately.

I've never voted a straight Repubican ticket anyway. Locally and even state-wide, I've seen some real jerks who were the Republican nominee, and in some admittedly rare cases, I've voted for the Democrat, not on party but on the individual.

When I lived in Missouri, I briefly worked as a researcher for a lobbying firm in the state capitol, Jefferson City. I learned all the "inside" stuff and who was on the take and who was playing it straight. It was never all Democrat or all Republican.

As a result I generally pay pretty close attention to local races, particularly during the primaries.

On a national scale, however, I've never found the Demo nominee to be a better choice than the Republican, starting w. my first presidential vote, proudly for Barry Goldwater. Romney has his flaws and I'm no rabid fan. But frankly, nobody lit my fire this time around. Ronald Reagan is unfortunately dead and there's nobody like him on the immediate horizon.

Regarding Rubio, I'm not cognizant of his precise background but I do know he's very popular in Florida and a great deal of his support comes from the Cuban-heritage community. And again, I'm not saying that I particularly like him over another VP possible. I only said that he may be the choice. Myself I really don't care much, unless some loon is chosen. That could cost lots of undecided votes.

And whether we think it's a good thing or not, we'll have 80% Democrats voting Obama, 80% Republican voting Romney, and the election will be decided by swing voters in the larger "battleground" states like Pa, Wis, Fla, etc.
  • SirGeorgeKillianSirGeorgeKillian Senior Member Posts: 5,462 Senior Member

Not really. You have people on the fence that could go ether way, then you have your die hards for their party. That IS what makes our government work, you aren't just being spoon fed a leader. You can vote for whoever you want.
    Unless life also hands you water and sugar, your lemonade is gonna suck!
    I'm in love with a Glock
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,711 Senior Member
    VP will not influence my vote.
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
  • mosseybuckmosseybuck Member Posts: 524 Senior Member
    Veep doesn't sway me much, although I did like Palin more than McCain. It would not matter if the monkey man picked Jesus Christ for a veep, I would never vote for him!:vomit:
    USMC '59-'65, NRA Lifer, Tennessee Squire
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,251 Senior Member
    In this election? Romney would have to pick someone truly evil to change my vote.

This one's pretty simple - I'm voting AGAINST Obama, not FOR anyone else.

Sad that's how my votes usually go. . .
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,916 Senior Member
    At this point, I'm more interested in making sure we get a Republican Majority in the Senate and the House...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,493 Senior Member
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    At this point, I'm more interested in making sure we get a Republican Majority in the Senate and the House...

Thank you, Brother Jayhawker, for preaching the word.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: the President can't sign bad legislation if it doesn't come his way.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,088 Senior Member
    Thank you, Brother Jayhawker, for preaching the word.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: the President can't sign bad legislation if it doesn't come his way.
    No he can't, but as this abomination has shown, he can circumvent the "checks and balances" built into the system, with executive orders and "czars"
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

But he CAN appoint court Justices and once he does it will take LITTERALLY an act of congress to make them go away. Even with a conservative majority, it is hard to overturn his choice. George W. Bush's one choice for that lady wasn't overturned, but he got some advice and withdrew her. But had he not done that she most likely would have been in. Back in the 80s Bork was denied because of a concerted effort by the left. Clarence Thomas was almost denied admittance to the court because of the Anita Hill Scandal, which I always thought was a farce, just like what happened to Herman Cain. But these are the exception and not the rule. If the Libs want who Obama appoints in there it will be very hard to deny.

And even if the Senate refuses his pick, he's just going to get another that maybe isn't as well known but of the same persuasion and mind set and the first case having to do with the second amendment that comes up, they, the libs on the court will re-interpret the second Amendment and then probably bye bye 2A!!! So you better think hard about election day, because this is a no brainer. If Obama gets in for four more and one, Just ONE, of the conservative Justices retires, gets sick, dies, whatever then we will most likely be screwed. So if you guys are willing to throw caution to the wind and take a BIG chance on losing your second amendment rights rather than give Romney a chance, I or nobody here can stop you. But I will certainly take great pleasure in telling you, "I told you so!!!"

And I repeat, Romney may be an Oppertunistic politician, but so are the rest of them. Romney just doesn't hide it as well. But I still don't think he's as liberal as he seems. Like I've said 15 times now, you don't get to be governor of the People's Republic of Massachusetts by doing your Ronald Reagan impression.
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    mosseybuck wrote: »
    Veep doesn't sway me much, although I did like Palin more than McCain. It would not matter if the monkey man picked Jesus Christ for a veep, I would never vote for him!:vomit:

Monkey man? Do I detect a bit of ol' fashioned name calling here?
    Jayhawker wrote: »

That's a good goal, of course. Thing is, states rarely elect Republican congress and switch party to the Democrat prez, or vice versa. Almost always, it's the presidential candidate who brings congressional wins on his coattails. Hence our Democrat congress in 2008. So a vigorous Republcan presidential candidate likely will carry congressional candidates with him.

That's just how most people vote, whether it makes sense or not.
    snake284 wrote: »
    etc etc. If Obama gets in for four more and one, Just ONE, of the conservative Justices retires, gets sick, dies, whatever then we will most likely be screwed. So if you guys are willing to throw caution to the wind and take a BIG chance on losing your second amendment rights rather than give Romney a chance, I or nobody here can stop you. But I will certainly take great pleasure in telling you, "I told you so!!!"

etc.

Good point, snake. Older Supreme court justices, either liberal or conservative, hang onto their seats until their own flavor of president is in office and then retire. We had couple of liberals switch over but liberal-for-liberal trade is no biggie, we've still got a narrow 5-4 edge. But as you said, any of the conservative 5 gets too sick or dies, and if Obama wins, he gets his liberal leaning Supremes.

Congress will confirm, too.
    knitepoet wrote: »
    No he can't, but as this abomination has shown, he can circumvent the "checks and balances" built into the system, with executive orders and "czars"

Amen Bro Paul!!! Great point!!!
    samzhere wrote: »
    Good point, snake. Older Supreme court justices, either liberal or conservative, hang onto their seats until their own flavor of president is in office and then retire. We had couple of liberals switch over but liberal-for-liberal trade is no biggie, we've still got a narrow 5-4 edge. But as you said, any of the conservative 5 gets too sick or dies, and if Obama wins, he gets his liberal leaning Supremes.

Congress will confirm, too.

That's very true Sam, sadly but truly.
    Running mates never sway me, but I do realize there is a non thinking middle ground that things like this sway. For me, I don't care if Romney chooses Alfred E. Neuman, I'm voting for him. But if Romney is really smart, he'll choose Ron Paul for his running mate. And if he did and if Paul accepted it, I really believe that ticket would be a shoe-in to win.
  • Uncle BSUncle BS Member Posts: 380 Member
    snake284 wrote: »
    Running mates never sway me, but I do realize there is a non thinking middle ground that things like this sway. For me, I don't care if Romney chooses Alfred E. Neuman, I'm voting for him. But if Romney is really smart, he'll choose Ron Paul for his running mate. And if he did and if Paul accepted it, I really believe that ticket would be a shoe-in to win.

If Mitt chooses Paul for his running mate, he'd better double his security. Paul has a grassroots following like I've never seen, I'm not gonna call them crazy, but they are definitely motivated. Paul would be my personal choice, I just can't bet on a 3 legged horse, no matter how quick he hobbles.
    cpj wrote: »
    Wow. I never knew I enjoyed grilled foreskin.
    Very True on all accounts Unk. But if Romney is smart he'll choose Paul and let Paul have more say than is traditional for a VP role. I think Paul himself could keep the hounds at bey.

This way I think everyone (Except the Libs, but I don't really give a rat's behind how they feel) would be happy. Romney just wants to be Prez and Paul wants government out of our lives and he wants government to follow the Constitution. He could team up with Paul and it would be a marriage made in heaven. Usually I would say it ain't never gonna happen. But with Romney I think it could. He wants to be president so bad I think he'd sell his grandmother into sex slavery to get elected.