Home Main Category Second Amendment/Politics

Will the VP running mate make any difference in how you vote?

Replies

• Big BatteryBig Battery Member Posts: 203 Member
    samzhere wrote: »
    That's a good goal, of course. Thing is, states rarely elect Republican congress and switch party to the Democrat prez, or vice versa. Almost always, it's the presidential candidate who brings congressional wins on his coattails. Hence our Democrat congress in 2008. So a vigorous Republcan presidential candidate likely will carry congressional candidates with him.

That's just how most people vote, whether it makes sense or not.

Except the Dems took a majority into Congress in 2006 not 2008. 2008 was a momentum change not a majority change. The Reps have momentum in their favor in Congress.
    snake284 wrote: »
    Running mates never sway me, but I do realize there is a non thinking middle ground that things like this sway. For me, I don't care if Romney chooses Alfred E. Neuman, I'm voting for him. But if Romney is really smart, he'll choose Ron Paul for his running mate. And if he did and if Paul accepted it, I really believe that ticket would be a shoe-in to win.

What has been suggested is Rand Paul for VP and a Cabinet post for Ron. But I would vote for Romney IF he made a Paul his VP and agreed to some platform changes.
  • CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Posts: 5,486 Senior Member
    What has been suggested is Rand Paul for VP and a Cabinet post for Ron. But I would vote for Romney IF he made a Paul his VP and agreed to some platform changes.

Unfortunately, IF Romney picked Rand as a running mate, the damage Romney will do in the next 8 years (possibly) would kill any future chance of Rand winning the presidency.
    When our governing officials dismiss due process as mere semantics, when they exercise powers they don’t have and ignore duties they actually bear, and when we let them get away with it, we have ceased to be our own rulers.

Adam J. McCleod

• bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,139 Senior Member
    VP would not sway me one bit.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member

And for whom will you vote should that not occur? Obama? Because any vote NOT for the Republican nominee (or staying home) will be a vote in abstentia FOR Obama.

snake said as much -- that anybody who doesn't vote for the Rep nominee and then sees Obama reelected, don't come whining to the forum afterward.

Look, Ron Paul had a perfect chance to win primaries, same as anybody. He simply did not have as much support as Romney or Santorum. But he didn't have funding, some say. Well, that's simply because Paul didn't get enough people who wanted him nominated to contribute.

Heck, I liked Herman Cain. But he dropped out (maybe he'd had a series of affairs, maybe not, I frankly tend to think yes). I didn't hold my breath in a tantrum and kick at the goad and threaten to stay home election day, wahhh wahhh, sniff sniff. No. I faced simple facts. If Romney doesn't win, that leaves ONE other person who will: Obama. Period. So I'll vote for Romney or whomever is the Republican nominee regardless of the VP choice. We have GOT to get Obama sent back to his corrupt Chicago. And Romney will be "okay" as prez. Whatever his shortcomings (and I'd equate him with Bush 43 as moderately acceptable), he will be a heckuva lot better than the other guy.

Ron Paul will not be the VP nominee. Face it, his positions are too far from mainstream to attract swing votes, and that's precisely what the Rep party needs. Swing votes to turn the big battleground states to the "R" column. You may like RP's policies. I don't. But that's not the point. The point is to win in November and at the same time, regain the Senate and keep the House. Then we can lobby our reps for more and more conservative legislation and push Romney toward that.

I don't claim to be an expert on politics but I do have some experience. I worked for a lobbying firm statewide. I've worked on 2 mayoral campaigns, 3 city council elections, and 2 state reps. And this wasn't just passing out handbills -- I worked in the actual campaign offices, writing brochures and fliers, verifying info, organizing rank and file volunteers. I do have some knowledge of how things behave "on the inside" and I'm pretty sure that Romney will be fine.

Sure, he's not ideal, and he's definitely a moderate Republican with slight conservative leanings. But we've got exactly TWO choices in November: Obama or the Rep nominee. So forget 3rd party surges or staying home and pouting. Snake's right -- we've got to send Obama packing and worry about the other stuff later.

And in 2016 I think there will be some good, genuine conservatives surface.
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 7,927 Senior Member

I totally agree with everything you've said, Sam. However, if Romney wins this year, he'll be the nominee in 2016, regardless of who else is available.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
    -- that anybody who doesn't vote for the Rep nominee and then sees Obama reelected, don't come whining to the forum afterward.

Fair enough, but when I call you on Romney's gov't expansions and constitutionally questionable actions, I don't want to hear the inevitable excuses afforded GOP officials from the faithful.
    When our governing officials dismiss due process as mere semantics, when they exercise powers they don’t have and ignore duties they actually bear, and when we let them get away with it, we have ceased to be our own rulers.

Adam J. McCleod

2016?? We wont survive till 2016. And do you think Romney will get out of the way or do you think Obama will win?

Obama or Romney will damage this country beyond hope. I will not vote to destroy my country.
    CaliFFL wrote: »
    Fair enough, but when I call you on Romney's gov't expansions and constitutionally questionable actions, I don't want to hear the inevitable excuses afforded GOP officials from the faithful.

Well, sure, feel free. And I'm not one of the "faithful" -- I'm a registered Republican but I'm not faithful to any political party.

I do wish to ask, what constitutionally questionable actions would Romney likely try? What has he advocated or done that was unconstitutional? Because I do not know of any.
    2016?? We wont survive till 2016. And do you think Romney will get out of the way or do you think Obama will win?

Obama or Romney will damage this country beyond hope. I will not vote to destroy my country.

Well, unless you know of some huge asteroid headed our way, sure, we'll survive.

Your "either/or" presupposes a situation that isn't realistic. What if Romney does NOT "get out of the way" (out of whose way?) and Obama does NOT win? In other words, Romney wins.

I repeat: For whom will you vote? Or will you stay home? Or write in Clarabelle the Clown?
  • bobbyrlf3bobbyrlf3 Senior Member Posts: 2,543 Senior Member
    Airedale wrote: »
    As an afterthought, voting a straight ticket in any election contradicts the essence of our democracy.

Merciful Heavens...................just no.
    Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.
    Well, sure, feel free. And I'm not one of the "faithful" -- I'm a registered Republican but I'm not faithful to any political party.

I wasn't talking about you personally. There is a contingent here that made every excuse for GWB for the Patroit Act, TSA, American citizens detained without charges, internet & library spying, etc. We both know if a democrat had pulled that crap, the same crowd would suddenly become defenders of the other Nine Amendments.

I do wish to ask, what constitutionally questionable actions would Romney likely try? What has he advocated or done that was unconstitutional? Because I do not know of any.

This depends on the situation. I do not think GWB would have created his police state without 9-11. For the sake of speculation, if congress placed an AWB on Romney's desk, he'd sign it. He has said he would as president and he already has as governor.

Adam J. McCleod

• JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,914 Senior Member

So if those two are your choices...what are you going to do...throw your vote away or sit home and pout? Not that there is a dimes worth of difference...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    Well, unless you know of some huge asteroid headed our way, sure, we'll survive.

Your "either/or" presupposes a situation that isn't realistic. What if Romney does NOT "get out of the way" (out of whose way?) and Obama does NOT win? In other words, Romney wins.

I repeat: For whom will you vote? Or will you stay home? Or write in Clarabelle the Clown?

You said, "And in 2016 I think there will be some good, genuine conservatives surface. " Well what good will that do if Romney is the Pres? So when I ask what you mean, I assume you think Romney will lose so that one of these "good, genuine conservatives" can run for President in 2016?? You have the only "good genuine conservative" looking you right in the face and there is absolutely ZERO reason not to support him - Ron Paul.

Both Romney and Obama represent the further destruction of our country and will not vote for either. A republican would not get my vote anyway so it is not a vote that Romney loses. The Reps and Dems have totally fúbar'd this country and to keep rewarding them is ridiculous. It is quite obvious, the sooner we can get to the bottom, the sooner people will come to their senses. Right now we are the frogs in a slowly heating up pot and it is a matter of how quickly each party applies the heat.
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    So if those two are your choices...what are you going to do...throw your vote away or sit home and pout? Not that there is a dimes worth of difference...

Is this a way to discuss things?

Both are for destroying our country, it is a shame that you cant see that. I will probably vote Libertarian if Ron Paul is not running.
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,713 Senior Member
    But with Romney I think it could. He wants to be president so bad I think he'd sell his grandmother into sex slavery to get elected.

Yet you will vote for him.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
  • rbsivleyrbsivley Senior Member Posts: 1,166 Senior Member
    Or write in Clarabelle the Clown?

I would vote for Clarabelle the Clown before I voted for obama. Maybe she'll ask Bozo to be the VP. Look how popular he is
    Randy

Rank does not concur privileges. It imposes responsibility. Author unknown

8 For by grace are ye saved through faith, and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God 9 not by works, lest any man should boast.
    Ephesians 2:8-9
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,713 Senior Member

As long as people vote for what they think is right I'm good. This chastising and scare tactics is pretty shameful if you ask me.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
    Is this a way to discuss things?

Both are for destroying our country, it is a shame that you cant see that. I will probably vote Libertarian if Ron Paul is not running.

Sure!, It was an honest question, and you have replied that you will throw your vote away....

Right now it's all about Threat Management and a lame duck Obama is BY FAR the greater threat....

AND.. (I've been saying this for years) Show me a third party candidate that has a snowballs chance of winning and I will certainly consider voting for him/her...but in my memory, the only thing third party candidates have done is muddy the water and give us some less than savory POTUSes...
    Buford wrote: »
    As long as people vote for what they think is right I'm good. This chastising and scare tactics is pretty shameful if you ask me.

I couldn't care less who folks vote for/how they vote Buford....It only becomes an issue when they start complaining about the state of the nation when by the way they voted or failed to vote, contributed to the very state that they are so irked about... It doesn't take a rocket surgeon to figure out that when you don't cast a vote for one of two candidates (one of which is GOING TO WIN) in favor of one who has no hope of winning, you have thrown your vote away ergo you may as well have stayed home and had a beer,
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,128 Senior Member
    That is alright. When Wambli becomes warlord, all of this stuff becomes a moot point.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,128 Senior Member
    Heil Wambli!
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,105 Senior Member
    In answer to the original question...........................nope.

Rest assured Buford, I will not be swayed...

:jester:
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
    Sure!, It was an honest question, and you have replied that you will throw your vote away....

Right now it's all about Threat Management and a lame duck Obama is BY FAR the greater threat....

AND.. (I've been saying this for years) Show me a third party candidate that has a snowballs chance of winning and I will certainly consider voting for him/her...but in my memory, the only thing third party candidates have done is muddy the water and give us some less than savory POTUSes...

This answer is why we are circling the drain...

We have met the enemy and it is us.
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,798 Senior Member

Dude, you have been foaming at the mouth against everybody who is not Ron Paul for at least 4 years, now. Get some help.

You ain't wrong about a lot of this stuff, but your sales 'pitch' is really annoying. You just aren't credible when your rhetoric starts to sound like a televangelist.

Battery....While I don't disagree with the "Pogo" quote...You fail to grasp the situation at hand...We are "circling the drain" because of the changing demographics and political ideologies. In this country,as more and more people are disconnected with our roots as Americans(though the rapidly growing welfare class, revisionist history being taught in public schools, etc) , the scale swings to the liberal side of the scale. As I said...we have to deal with the realities of the situation as it is laid on the table before it....Do you want to eat Turkey or Ham? There are no other choices today so no matter how much you want Fried Chicken IT AIN'T ON THE MENU !..So either pick one or go hungry while patting yourself on the back.
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Exactly! All three branches of Government rolled into one...

I like the idea...but you really have to lose the turban...a nice Stetson would be better...and where are the scantily-clad chicks in chains?
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    I don't care if Romney chooses Alfred E. Neuman, .

Now your talking, "What Me Worry" about a VP..................:tooth:
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
    Jermanator wrote: »
    That is alright. When Wambli becomes warlord, all of this stuff becomes a moot point.

Well, now, there's a good idea for once in this forum! Wambli as overlord or suzerain... Mmmm... I MIGHT agree if Wambli also agrees to let me post endless threads about my mystery novels.
    Battery....While I don't disagree with the "Pogo" quote...You fail to grasp the situation at hand...We are "circling the drain" because of the changing demographics and political ideologies. In this country,as more and more people are disconnected with our roots as Americans(though the rapidly growing welfare class, revisionist history being taught in public schools, etc) , the scale swings to the liberal side of the scale. As I said...we have to deal with the realities of the situation as it is laid on the table before it....Do you want to eat Turkey or Ham? There are no other choices today so no matter how much you want Fried Chicken IT AIN'T ON THE MENU !..So either pick one or go hungry while patting yourself on the back.

I'm not patting myself on the back, where we are heading deeply saddens me and I fully understand what the situation is. I am afraid that many do not grasp the situation and it goes way way beyond who the next SCOTUS choice is. Since the last POTUS election, the debt has increased 50%. An amount equal to $52,000 for ever person in this country... all 300 Million of us. Our troubles are financial and they are huge. Romney is not capable of lowering the debt, in fact he wants to increase the debt by building up the military even more than it is now and engage the rest of the world more. This is true insanity.

I refuse to give either member of the Duopoly any vote of support... It is like choosing between Satan or his brother. I understand your reasoning but I disagree with it. Romney is a liberal and a Constitution hater on top of it. There is ZERO evidence to the contrary. When he signs the next anti-gun law, I promise not to say I told you so.
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,493 Senior Member
    I was wondering when this would come up. Y'all can butter up the Warlord, but I'll get in good with the Warlady. If she likes me, I'll be safe. 'Cause there's no way he'll be dumb enough to hurt me and incur her wrath...
    Overkill is underrated.