Home Main Category Second Amendment/Politics

Will the VP running mate make any difference in how you vote?

13»

Replies

• breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,493 Senior Member
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Well we got ONE smart one in the bunch :tooth:

Responding to your own post is the ultimate form of narcissism, especially if you're trying to show how smart you are....
    Overkill is underrated.
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 7,939 Senior Member
    That's not a turban, it's a bandage, the result of my wife the Warlady catching me playing with the scantily clad chicks in chains...

I know there's a joke in there about Cartegena, but I just can't think of one at the moment.

Darn!
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    Responding to your own post is the ultimate form of narcissism, especially if you're trying to show how smart you are....

Heck, I do that all the time... uh, wait...
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    No problem, hell I'll appoint you realm entertainer. Of course that means the boys will have to learn to appreciate Rogoletto...

Will put that on my "to do" list after the takeover.

And since we're enjoying a bit of thread drift, Verdi's Rigoletto is one of the operas that I strongly recommend to newbies. It was one of the fave operas of the late great (smart and lovely) singer Beverly Sills -- "I love it because nobody in the opera, even the heroine, is any damn good."

Phenomenal music, terrific songs w. very hummable tunes, and a gripping plot, kind of reminds me of "Hopfrog" by Poe (a very scary story). Rigoletto (an old Italian slang term for a piebald clown) is the court jester for the handsome, smart, and very debauched and treacherous Duke, who rules with a whim, imprisoning or executing whomever he pleases. The Duke especially enjoys "making love to" (read: raping) wives of his underlings, then laughing at their anger or disgrace. Rigoletto, as jesters often do, has carte blanche to say anything, and he insults an old Count. The Count is angry because the Duke took advantage of (raped) his thirteen year old daughter. The Count vows revenge against the Duke and so Duke has him thrown in prison prior to beheading. Rigoletto mocks the Count and the old man curses him "Et tu, du serpente, mio maladire" (and you, you serpent, my curse) -- I think that's the correct Italian, close at least.

And that's just act 1. The finale is said by many to be the most gut-wrenching and terrible in all of opera. I sang in the chorus of one production and often stood in the wings during the last act, watching, and actually crying at the ending. Okay, maybe an explanation partly because the gal I was dating was the ill-fated heroine and my voice teacher sang the title role.

Some operas I wouldn't walk across the street to see if they paid me (Sturgeon's Law, you could look it up) but some are amazingly entertaining. Anybody who's ever dragged kicking and screaming to an opera, better hope it's Rigoletto. Nearly every moment is intense, tuneful, and entertaining.

(thread drift ended)