Home Main Category Second Amendment/Politics

More on Nugent

AiredaleAiredale BannedPosts: 624 Senior Member
Seems like he was busted in Alaska for wounding a bear while bow hunting, abandoning the chase, and then killing a second bear with a rifle on the same license.
Good role model.

Replies

• DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    You are not a hunter, right ?

I don't think Ted has ever said he was a role model.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,495 Senior Member
    Not his only time being busted for illegal game laws. I think it's wrong that they give him TV shows for hunting, but this is not really related to the Second Amendment.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Posts: 5,486 Senior Member
    Ted isn't running for office, so who cares?

When he breaks hunting laws (and he does, occasionally) we shouldn't make excuses for him.
    When our governing officials dismiss due process as mere semantics, when they exercise powers they don’t have and ignore duties they actually bear, and when we let them get away with it, we have ceased to be our own rulers.

Adam J. McCleod

• JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,928 Senior Member
    He screws up from time to time (like a LOT of people do)...gets caught, pays his fine...so...what's your beef? I'd want to see a few more details than you are providing...it's really easy to run afoul of game laws in AK (and other places) and not know it...It's the guides responsibility most times...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • AiredaleAiredale Banned Posts: 624 Senior Member
    Mister,
    I've been hunting for over 60 years, ethically.
    Isn't that what it's all about?
    You amaze me, This washed up Bozo espouses extremist stuff like if "Obama gets elected, I'll be dead or in jail" and you eat it up. He knew you'd love it when he said it.
    Then he leaves a bear in the woods and shoots another with a rifle while using the same archery license and you say "Ho Hum.
    Simply amazing.
    Maybe I should have said "so what" instead of ho hum.
    You said "so what" as if it's not a big thing that a nationaly known "celebrity" who capitalizes on his extreme views that resonates to the ultra extreme right and excuses non-ethical conduct while hunting.
    Let me ask you. Would you wound an animal with a bow, abandon the search for the wounded animal, and then, using the archery license, take an animal with a rifle?
    Cut the crap.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,400 Senior Member
    He's already agreed to a $10,000 fine and losing his license in Alaska for a year. He was charged under the Lacy Act. If you have never looked into the Lacy Act, then you would have no idea how complicated it can be not to run afoul of it's restrictions. He was charged with a misdemeanor violation.

Here's an article for anyone interested in it:

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5jZFnAMlcGG6DwddqUFFm-KYPEgyw?docId=3296fedd392a4ede8f4ea7908047d66c

Edit to add: Alaska's game laws are more complicated than integral calculus. I can cut him a little slack on maybe misinterpreting the regs.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,672 Senior Member
    BPsniper wrote: »
    I don't watch, listen to, or care about Ted. Couldn't care less if he ran naked down the street, sang a song, killed a record book bear with a rail gun, or punched a nun. So, we are back to my original statement..........."So what?"
    So, I guess you've been mistaken for someone who gives a big crap.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!
  • NorthToAKNorthToAK New Member Posts: 8 New Member
    That's an awful lot of opinion from someone who doesn't give a crap.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    Yeah, he's a bit crazy. But he's on our side. So I leave it to the courts and until he's adudicated, I just ignore the accusations.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    Wow! I can't believe some people here in a shooting hunting forum cutting our own throat. I mean I know Alph and hakkonen are libs but they don't hide it. I can deal whit them cause they're honest about it.
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,672 Senior Member
    The weird thing is, Ted says he shot the arrow and just grazed the bear. They went looking for it and couldn't find any blood or bear. They assumed the bear wasn't dead or injured, so they figured it would be OK to go after another bear, not knowing that the Alaska law had changed. And, of course the whole thing was on camera, so the feds had the evidence to prosecute and he was forced to cop a plea to avoid stiffer consequences. I just don't see what all the outrage is over.....BFD
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,713 Senior Member
    snake284 wrote: »
    Wow! I can't believe some people here in a shooting hunting forum cutting our own throat. I mean I know Alph and hakkonen are libs but they don't hide it. I can deal whit them cause they're honest about it.

Not everyone here is extreme right.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
    Buford wrote: »
    Not everyone here is extreme right.

I understand and agree Buford, but I'm talking extreme left, like off the radar.
  • NorthToAKNorthToAK New Member Posts: 8 New Member
    What is "off the radar"
    Airedale wrote: »
    You said "so what" as if it's not a big thing that a nationaly known "celebrity" who capitalizes on his extreme views that resonates to the ultra extreme right and excuses non-ethical conduct while hunting.
    Let me ask you. Would you wound an animal with a bow, abandon the search for the wounded animal, and then, using the archery license, take an animal with a rifle?
    Cut the crap.

Actually, The Alaska Fish and Game probably issue thousands of citations for game law violations every year...Ted got one of them....Big deal...being who he is doesn't make him any better or worse than any of the other folks who ran afoul of the law whether intentionally or unintentionally....the guy does not claim to spend his spare time walking on water...
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    Actually, The Alaska Fish and Game probably issue thousands of citations for game law violations every year...Ted got one of them....Big deal...being who he is doesn't make him any better or worse than any of the other folks who ran afoul of the law whether intentionally or unintentionally....the guy does not claim to spend his spare time walking on water...

Amen Jayhawker.
  • CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Posts: 5,486 Senior Member
    If Ted thought he missed the bear, why didn't he look at the tape like every other archery hunting show? He could have easily verified his shot BEFORE he took another bear.

If all else fails, DELETE THE FREAKING FOOTAGE!!!
    When our governing officials dismiss due process as mere semantics, when they exercise powers they don’t have and ignore duties they actually bear, and when we let them get away with it, we have ceased to be our own rulers.

Adam J. McCleod

• tv_racin_fantv_racin_fan Senior Member Posts: 660 Senior Member
    Wouldn't have matter if he had looked at the tape and known he had actually hit the bear. In point of fact they did find a bit of blood where he shot and the arrow so he knew that he had indeed KNICKED the bear. What he did not know was that the law had recently changed and he was not allowed to harvest a different bear after hitting that one. Thus he ran afoul of not knowing and understanding all of the hunting laws of the area he was hunting.

Where did the idea that he illegally used a rifle on a bow hunting permit come from?
  • SirGeorgeKillianSirGeorgeKillian Senior Member Posts: 5,462 Senior Member
    This happened back in 09. Wonder why it is just now coming to light. I see nothing unethical about this. It was not a bad hit he took on the bear. I would have probably done the same thing.

Don't see the big deal here. Maybe some good will come of this, like the dumb law getting changed.
    Unless life also hands you water and sugar, your lemonade is gonna suck!
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    I'm in love with a Glock
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    He screws up from time to time (like a LOT of people do)...gets caught, pays his fine...so...what's your beef? I'd want to see a few more details than you are providing...it's really easy to run afoul of game laws in AK (and other places) and not know it...It's the guides responsibility most times...
    I've been pondering the bolded part... As responsible hunters, shouldn't we, ourselves be responsible for knowing the game laws, and not defer to someone else? To me it's similar to when someone from one state travels through another state and violates a carry law there. We expect folks to know the gun laws in the state they're travelling through, why not the game laws? As the hunter, Nugent should have learned the regs, in my opinion.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,167 Senior Member
    This happened back in 09. Wonder why it is just now coming to light. I see nothing unethical about this. It was not a bad hit he took on the bear. I would have probably done the same thing.

Don't see the big deal here. Maybe some good will come of this, like the dumb law getting changed.

Because he finally plead out on the charges....

My take on this? None of us were there. We have no idea how it happened. We don't know if Ted knew or cared about the law, we will just speculate usind the grounds whether we like him or not sway our belief of what happened. As usual!!

Now I shall speculate.... If you have the $$$ to make 15 guided hunts for a TV show, are you going to pour thru the regs of 15 states? Or will you take the word of the "Professional Guide'' that is licensed in that state and getting paid good $$$ to know not only where the game will be, but if it is a legal size???

Ted doesn't plan these hunts. Others do it for him. He just shows up, smiles at the camera, says some crazy stuff, and whacks 'em and stacks 'em.....
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
    I've been pondering the bolded part... As responsible hunters, shouldn't we, ourselves be responsible for knowing the game laws, and not defer to someone else? To me it's similar to when someone from one state travels through another state and violates a carry law there. We expect folks to know the gun laws in the state they're travelling through, why not the game laws? As the hunter, Nugent should have learned the regs, in my opinion.

Yoiu and I would take the trouble to do so...however, in the real world, clients spend multiple thousands of dollars to go on these hunts....part of the deal is that the guide will keep you out of trouble. That's the view that most Fish and Game Departments take as well and will hold the guide service responsible...
    Fair enough. That being said, if someone's spending multiple thousands of dollars on a hunt... shouldn't they have the wherewithal to make sure they know the game laws? I mean, folks buy gear to go on these hunts (boots, rainwear, pack,s) then sometimes a special rifle (or two,) get in shape to do the hunt (or not,) and worry about making sure their accommodations are up to snuff, but can't take the time to make sure they've reviewed the applicable game laws? I know the guide is the one out there to make sure the law is being followed, but to me it seems unfair to the guide to hold him responsible for the hunter not doing their due diligence. If we claim that "ignorance of the law is no excuse," why do folks hunting with a guide seem to get a bye?

Sorry, this is just something that irritates me. If folks believe in personal responsibility, it should extend to all areas of life. Including recreation. And if you're doing a TV show where you're hunting, well, you're making money on it, too.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,798 Senior Member
    Cut the crap.

It's not a big thing.

The worst judgements you can make against him are that he's a lawbreaker, a hypocrite, and a radical, which probably also describe about 90% of the celebrities that espouse views you agree with.
  • mythaeusmythaeus Senior Member Posts: 831 Senior Member
    If Ted Nugent is just a celeb, no one cares. Me, especially. He is however, for one reason or another, linked to the NRA and other gun right groups. People, particularly the left/anti-gunners, see him almost as an unofficial spokesman for the NRA/gun owners. What he does/say has a lot of impact on people's perception of gun owners/hunters. Ted Nugent is a double-edged sword if you considered him to be on "our side"...but, it seems that the sharper edge is constantly working against gun owners because of his actions and rhetoric. I've said it in the past and will say it again: No thanks, Ted.

Al
    "In a controversy, the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth and have begun striving for ourselves." - Siddhartha Gautama
  • bobbyrlf3bobbyrlf3 Senior Member Posts: 2,543 Senior Member
    mythaeus wrote: »
    If Ted Nugent is just a celeb, no one cares. Me, especially. He is however, for one reason or another, linked to the NRA and other gun right groups. People, particularly the left/anti-gunners, see him almost as an unofficial spokesman for the NRA/gun owners. What he does/say has a lot of impact on people's perception of gun owners/hunters. Ted Nugent is a double-edged sword if you considered him to be on "our side"...but, it seems that the sharper edge is constantly working against gun owners because of his actions and rhetoric. I've said it in the past and will say it again: No thanks, Ted.

Al

:agree: Completely.
    Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.
    Breamie,
    You've injected some sanity in this discussion.
    Forget about all the political crap.
    This guy violated a game law. I don't care if it was new or old. He should have been aware of it and conducted himself to act within the law.
    Isn't that what we would all teach our kids to do??
    Jim
  • BullgatorBullgator Member Posts: 393 Member
    You amaze me, This washed up Bozo espouses extremist stuff like if "Obama gets elected, I'll be dead or in jail" and you eat it up. He knew you'd love it when he said it.
    Jim
    Forget about all the political crap.
    Jim

Kinda late for that, don't you think?
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,647 Senior Member
    mythaeus wrote: »

Al

Ted is on the NRA's board of directors, or was in the recent past.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11