Home Main Category Second Amendment/Politics

Marine about to be discharged for making public comments about BHO

Replies

• TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Forrest Gump's mama said it best- - - - -"Stupid is as stupid does!" He can have all the personal opinions he wants, but when he publishes those opinions on a public forum, he's going to run head-on into regulations prohibiting those comments, and the results will be very predictable. Particularly the refusal to follow orders- - - - -that's an incredibly dumb position to take! Once he's a civilian, he's welcome to gripe all he wants. The sooner that happens, the better!
    Jerry
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,164 Senior Member
    The chain of command is taught since day one of boot camp.

There is no freedom of speech once yoi sign the dotted line and take the oath. And they tell you such several times
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,258 Senior Member
    jbp-ohio wrote: »
    The chain of command is taught since day one of boot camp.

There is no freedom of speech once yoi sign the dotted line and take the oath. And they tell you such several times

Yup. His job - and even his commanding general's - is basically to shut up and lay down effective fire in the direction he's told to.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,036 Senior Member
    Having been a Marine, the thing that strikes me as most pertinent is his urging fellow Marines to disobey lawful orders of superiors if they disagreed with the President on political matters. An "Other than honorable" discharge is light compared to charges of attempting to incite mutiny.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,713 Senior Member
    This an old story, he was warned in the past and kept doing it. C'est la vie
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,395 Senior Member
    Best advice I ever heard while in the Navy was from an E-9 CPO. He said, "Keep your mouth shut; do your job; buy bonds". Makes it harder to get your butt in a bight following that advice.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,921 Senior Member
    Funny how some people think that the military is a democracy....they defend democracy, they DON'T practice it....as the soon-to-be ex-marine is about to find out...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    Funny how some people think that the military is a democracy....they defend democracy, they DON'T practice it....as the soon-to-be ex-marine is about to find out...

If he had the attention span of a house broken puppy, he should have learned that by his third or fourth blanket party.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,670 Senior Member
    DoctorWho wrote: »
    If he had the attention span of a house broken puppy, he should have learned that by his third or fourth blanket party.
    Yeah, but isn't today's military so PC, that they don't even use "harsh language" for discipline anymore.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!
    Yeah, but isn't today's military so PC, that they don't even use "harsh language" for discipline anymore.

Yes they have really pansied down the military for female use...... However, he wasn't whining about some butterbar that gave him a crap detail. He was dissing the Commander and Chief.
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
    I think if he had just been dissing the POTUS he might have been ok, but at one point is explicitly said he would refuse to follow his orders which just isn't going to fly.

And you would be WRONG. POTUS is CinC of the military. Same rules would apply badmouthing him in public as badmouthing your commanding general/admiral in public. The only 'free speech' there is in the military is what you get when you are completely by yourself. Then you can badmouth any- and everybody with impunity. As has already been said, the military protects freedom of speech among many, many other things. But they are NOT allowed free reign to use free speech. The very least he could have been charged with is being detrimental to good order and discipline, and that isn't a lightweight charge. That he is not being subjected to General Court Martial is pretty amazing.
    ― Douglas Adams
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Remember the general officer who called Slick Willie a draft-dodging coward and a philanderer who couldn't keep his pants zipped up? It didn't matter that every word he spoke was the truth- - - -he got canned anyway!
    Jerry
    Yep. That general spoke the truth, and it set him free! There have been a couple of others that have been relieved of command during this Iraq-Afghanistan action, too. They spoke a little too freely. A four star general can get canned as easily as a buck private.
    ― Douglas Adams
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,713 Senior Member
    jbp-ohio wrote: »
    He was dissing the Commander and Chief.

Who?
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
    In..... and........ close enough for government work

Sent from my R800x using Tapatalk 2
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,713 Senior Member
    Buford wrote: »
    Who?

Gen. Stanley McChrystal
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia