Home Main Category General Firearms

What are your favorite Scope Covers?

snake284snake284 Senior MemberPosts: 22,429 Senior Member
I have a bunch of the Butler Creek flip up covers on my rifles. I also have some covers that came with the scopes with the elastic chord that holds the Objective lens cover to to the Occular lens cover. And I still have some of the full scope covers that fit over the whole scope. I have one of these on a Leupold VX-3L because the VX-3L has the relieve area that allows the scope to fit low on the rifle stradling the barrel. These work fine but I prefer the Butler Creek flip open covers.

I have gotten particular the last few years because I have had scope lenses scratched when they are unprotected.
What do some of you prefer? If you would can you give a reason for your preference?
Daddy, what's an enabler?
Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.

Replies

• gunrunner428gunrunner428 Senior Member Posts: 1,018 Senior Member
    I like the Butler Creek flip-ups as well (NOT the ones with see-through lenses, it makes ZERO sense to spend good money for quality glass and then cover it with cheap plastic discs!).

Butler Creek also makes the "Bikini" scope cover, which is a one-piece high-grade rubber cover with bands holding two lens "cups" together, and a pull tab that helps get the unit off in a hurry if you are using it in the field. Had pretty good luck with this one too. Not quite as convenient as the flip-ups, but highly adaptable to a wide range of scope sizes.

http://www.butlercreek.com/products/scopes_bikini.html
  • bisleybisley Senior Member East TexasPosts: 10,815 Senior Member
    I have the Butler Creek flip-ups on the two scoped rifles I usually hunt with. I find them fairly annoying, but it's nice to walk around on a rainy day without having to clean your lens, if a shot presents itself.
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 9,698 Senior Member
    The Leupold Alumina's are sort of an advanced, thread-on version of the Butler Creeks with a lock ring that allow you to turn the flip cover to open in any direction you choose. These have a slight advantage over the BC's in that they don't add any diameter to the outside of the scope. This creates less potential for grief if you are running with rings that put your scope close to the barrel or path of the bolt handle. Of course they only fit newer Leupolds.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 12,313 Senior Member
    Butler creek flip ups, and Scope Coats for storage.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    Bigslug wrote: »
    The Leupold Alumina's are sort of an advanced, thread-on version of the Butler Creeks with a lock ring that allow you to turn the flip cover to open in any direction you choose. These have a slight advantage over the BC's in that they don't add any diameter to the outside of the scope. This creates less potential for grief if you are running with rings that put your scope close to the barrel or path of the bolt handle. Of course they only fit newer Leupolds.

I agree with that Bigslug. I've seen the Leupold Alumna's on a couple of scopes and they are definitely an improvement over the original BC idea. And they are made of metal and not cheap plastic. However, having said that, I only have one New Leupold in the safe. All my others are 3-4 years old. Well, one's about 20. I would guess Leupold only sells these for their own scopes.

Oh well, the Butler Creek's are what they are. They serve the purpose so I guess I'll leave the ones I have where they are. I just bought two more sets yesterday for my two Redfield Revolution scopes, one on the Weatherby 300 Mag and the other I put on my .270. But they're getting expensive. I paid $42 and some change yesterday for just the two sets.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.