Home Main Category General Firearms

New 1911 finally home!

SirGeorgeKillianSirGeorgeKillian Senior MemberSovereign SCPosts: 5,463 Senior Member
A little pre history on this gun. I had a chance to pick up one of these Springfield V10's a few years back for a great price.. The deal fell through when my uncle took it out to shoot one last time and had several stove pipes in a row.. He took it in to work and had the gun xrayed to find a hair line crack in the frame.
Ever since a V10 has been a grail gun of mine. No I at one time had a fleet of 40 cals and grew to hate them. Probably to the point of not owning another. My Glock 27 which was my daily carry piece was the last of my 40's.. It is now sitting on consignment at the LGS the proceeds of which were going to get this V10 off of consignment. That was until I ran into a fellow up at the chiropractic office who was looking for a new 1911. I showed him my Rock Island I was carrying (the "tactical" model) and he offered me $400 cash on the spot.

Well here I am, my Glock still on consignment and my new to me V10 home tucked close to my body with a Chris Breed holster stained with authentic Chris butt sweat.. I haven't made my mind up on what to do with the proceeds from the Glock sale just yet.. It may pick up another. 45, go into new shiny internals for this V10, or might go towards making my. 44 a hunting monster.. Who knows..

Here are some pics to avoid any fines. I was short on time to take great pics, but these will have to do.
Unless life also hands you water and sugar, your lemonade is gonna suck!
Wambli Ska wrote: »
I'm in love with a Glock

Replies

• jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Pensacola, FLPosts: 10,826 Senior Member
    Very nice! I don't think I've ever seen a V-10 that didn't have a 5'' or 6'' barrel.
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • SirGeorgeKillianSirGeorgeKillian Senior Member Sovereign SCPosts: 5,463 Senior Member
    I did a function check in the back yard, and it shoots great. Need to work on the trigger a little bit, a little too much creep for my liking, and she could stand to loose about a pound.. My guess is about 4.5lbs pull right now.
    Just noticed the sights are indeed night sights. Didn't think that was the best idea at least in the front with the ported barrel, but after a mag of bullets, the front sight isn't dirty or nothing..
    I'm in love with a Glock
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member WyomingPosts: 8,566 Senior Member
    I like it!
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • SirGeorgeKillianSirGeorgeKillian Senior Member Sovereign SCPosts: 5,463 Senior Member
    I like it!

That friend is like having Jr saying he likes your new Cammaro....
    I'm in love with a Glock
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 4,754 Senior Member
    Nice find, I looked at and drooled over one of those some years ago but could not make it mine. Congrats on finding yours.

Sako
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Nice Pistola :guns::guns:
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • NNNN Senior Member NCPosts: 25,221 Senior Member
    Very interesting.:yousuck:
    sakodude wrote: »
    Nice find, I looked at and drooled over one of those some years ago but could not make it mine. Congrats on finding yours.

Sako

Trust me, I know the feeling. I do wish I could have gotten ahold of the other one and gutted it.
    I'm in love with a Glock
  • EliEli Senior Member Attalla, Alabama.Posts: 3,074 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    Enjoy the new weapon. And the butt sweat. BTW, not only did i wear that one at 4oclock, i also wore it at 12 oclock. Low, 12 o'clock.

:spittingcoffee:
  • SlanteyedshootistSlanteyedshootist Senior Member Corvallis, OregonPosts: 3,947 Senior Member
    Very nice! I like that ghost pic. Yep, a big "You Suck!" is in order.
    The answer to 1984 is 1776
    Enjoy the new weapon. And the butt sweat. BTW, not only did i wear that one at 4oclock, i also wore it at 12 oclock. Low, 12 o'clock.

THAT explains the little stain.....
    I'm in love with a Glock
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Central MNPosts: 14,659 Senior Member

Better than low 6 o' clock, these V10's, they only came in a .45 flavor?
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    CHIRO1989 wrote: »
    Better than low 6 o' clock, these V10's, they only came in a .45 flavor?

That is all I have ever seen.
    I'm in love with a Glock
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Central MNPosts: 14,659 Senior Member
    That is all I have ever seen.

I did a quick search earlier and was hoping they also came in 10MM.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • KSU FirefighterKSU Firefighter Senior Member Posts: 3,249 Senior Member
    Very Nice! (You Suck!)
    The fire service needs a "culture of extinguishment not safety" Ray McCormack FDNY
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member In the sticks, OHPosts: 5,617 Senior Member
    Sweet! I didn't know they made a commander sized V10 either. Dagnabit. Now I gotta get one.
    You SUCK!
    jbohio wrote: »
    Sweet! I didn't know they made a commander sized V10 either. Dagnabit. Now I gotta get one.
    You SUCK!

Glad I could be of assistance :tooth:
    I'm in love with a Glock
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Pensacola, FLPosts: 10,826 Senior Member
    BPsniper wrote: »
    G23Rem155JHP20.jpg

See that blast coming out the top? Yeah........imagine that from Position 2 or 3. Which I tried.

Granted, I used ammo for that picture that didn't have flash retardant in the powder. But, it shows the direction of travel.

Here is the ammo I actually carry.

G23Fed155HST.jpg

But, even with less blast........it's going the same direction.

That is the first pic I remember seeing comparing low flash powder to regular. You would thing SD ammo makers would have that in every advertisement..... It is one of the reason I spend more on good SD ammo.
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • Uncle BSUncle BS Member Marietta, GeorgiaPosts: 380 Member
    I didn't even know it existed. Sure does make sense though.

---
    I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?qzxc01
    BPsniper wrote: »
    Very nice looking gun!

A word of caution:

I have a G23C (compensated .40cal). I am planning to swap out the compensated barrel for a plane one. I will NEVER own another compensated defensive handgun!!!!!

Those little holes in the barrel........well, when you shoot from retention positions (2 & 3)........that blast is going RIGHT in your face. A painful and bloody realization I concluded after doing so with my G23c. Darn lucky I didn't lose an eye. But, I came close.

So, enjoy your gun. But, never shoot it from retention. Unless you are closing your eyes...........and screaming like a little girl..............like CPJ.

Which retention position burned a hole in your shirt :tooth:

Thoughts on night sights with the porting? This one came with a nice set of night sights, and I have heard mixed things about that setup without much explanation. I understand that in low light conditions that my sights are going to disappear after the flash from the first shot, but I won't be relying on those for a quick follow up shot. I'm just concerned with making my first sight picture right...
    I'm in love with a Glock
  • mythaeusmythaeus Senior Member Philadelphia, PAPosts: 831 Senior Member
    Very nice, Colt! I like the look of the ported barrel even with BP's caution :tooth:

:beer:
    Al
    "In a controversy, the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth and have begun striving for ourselves." - Siddhartha Gautama
  • timctimc Senior Member TexasPosts: 6,684 Senior Member
    Sweet, YOU SUCK!!!

I have always wanted one of the V-10 pistols but have never had the opportunity. Congrats
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
    I let one slip through my fingers and vowed never again!
    I'm in love with a Glock
  • JeeperJeeper Senior Member Tampa, FL areaPosts: 2,954 Senior Member
    Very nice! I almost bought one of those instead of the Kimber Ultracarry I wound up with.

Luis
    Wielding the Hammer of Thor first requires you to lift and carry the Hammer of Thor. - Bigslug
  • JeeperJeeper Senior Member Tampa, FL areaPosts: 2,954 Senior Member
    Very nice! I almost bought one of those instead of the Kimber Ultracarry I wound up with.

Luis
    Wielding the Hammer of Thor first requires you to lift and carry the Hammer of Thor. - Bigslug