Home Main Category General Firearms

Winchester model 94 question. . .

hipshot45hipshot45 MemberMcKeesport, PAPosts: 39 Member
I fondeled a pre '64 model 94 in .32 spl today. Its in, what i'd consider, 90%+ condition and undrilled for a scope. I've never seen one chambered in this caliber. Is it rare and what would a fair price be? The Lgs has it marked at $450.00. What say you guys?

Replies

• shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Global NomadPosts: 6,073 Senior Member
    In good condition it's worth $450 regardless since those aren't made anymore. If you can check the serial number and confirm that it is indeed a pre '64, stop messing around on this forum and go buy it.
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 4,760 Senior Member
    I agree with SS3, any pre-64 model 94 that is not junk will be worth 450.00 regardless of caliber. Even post 64's with the possible exception of the hardwood stocked ranger line seldom sell for much less than that.
    Now if you don't hand load 32spl can be a issue finding ammo. Not impossible, but difficult. I'd be buying it regardless if I were you.

Sako
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    I had one (.32 Spl) which was stolen from my Dad's place back in 92. I imagine that's not a bad price these days.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    sakodude wrote: »
    I agree with SS3, any pre-64 model 94 that is not junk will be worth 450.00 regardless of caliber. Even post 64's with the possible exception of the hardwood stocked ranger line seldom sell for much less than that.
    Now if you don't hand load 32spl can be a issue finding ammo. Not impossible, but difficult. I'd be buying it regardless if I were you.

Sako

.32 Spl ammo is fairly common in Alabama K-Marts/Wal-Marts or was, anyhow. I haven't looked in over 20 years though. May be a "Southern" kinda thing with that caliber.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Under a logPosts: 27,457 Senior Member
    At that price in that condition, I'd grab it, throw down the money, and run! That's a fair price in 90%+ condition, and then some for a pre-64. If you can't find the ammunition locally, it's pretty easy to find online. Only thing I'd say to look closely at is the bore for pitting.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    hipshot45 wrote: »
    I fondeled a pre '64 model 94 in .32 spl today. Its in, what i'd consider, 90%+ condition and undrilled for a scope. I've never seen one chambered in this caliber. Is it rare and what would a fair price be? The Lgs has it marked at $450.00. What say you guys?

Bye it. 32 Special was their "Other" Chambering.

Actually, the 94 was chambered in many cartridges throught it's time but the 32 was one of the more popular in it coming in second to the 30-30. I've read on more than one occasion though that due to the twist rate in the barrel the crown is very sensitive. If it's worn just a little it will throw bullets around. So you may end up having it recrowned. However that's a relatively cheap fix.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • gunrunner428gunrunner428 Senior Member Posts: 1,018 Senior Member
    Not hugely numerous, but not necessarily rare either. Popular in the East and Midwest deer woods, despite one rumor I heard that Winchester built the .32 Special round out of .30-30 brass to cover a production blunder of .32 caliber barrels being chambered for .30-30, but unless the barrels were originally intended for .32-20 or some such round, I find that a bit hard to swallow...

I digress. Any pre-'64 Winchester, be it 94, 70, or other model, would be worth $450 easily most places. And depending on where you're at, .32 Special shouldn't be hard to find, although not as widely varied and available as .30-30. You'd get your best performance by handloading, but that's just an excuse to take over a room in the house with a bench, reloading dies, and all the associated goodies.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    The thing is they stopped making them in 32 years back but always made 30-30s. Probably 3/4s of them made were 30-30, not counting the big bores and 307s.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • DanChamberlainDanChamberlain Senior Member Near St. LouisPosts: 3,395 Senior Member
    Even with 50% bluing I'd pay that if the bore looked good.

Dan
    It's a source of great pride for me, that when my name is googled, one finds book titles and not mug shots. Daniel C. Chamberlain
  • DunRanullDunRanull Member Posts: 35 Member
    Have you run the serial # to see when it was made? Any pre-64 is worth that around here.. even a post 64 might be close in good condition, seeing as no more have been made for awhile.. If I had the bucks I'd glom onto it...
  • hipshot45hipshot45 Member McKeesport, PAPosts: 39 Member
    Thanks for all the info guys. I haven't run the serial # but i'm confident that it is a pre '64. I'm gonna take a second look at it, especially the bore. Quite honestly, i'm not even shopping for one, but i thought it was good buy. I may drop the cash on it just to have one. You know the story, you never need an excuse to buy a good gun. Am i right?
  • drwalker47drwalker47 Member Lone Oak, TXPosts: 192 Member
    hipshot45 wrote: »

A pre-64, undrilled, 90+ percent...go for it!
    Celebrate life, moment by moment. I plan to enjoy what time I have left, and that means MORE GUNS!
  • robert38-55robert38-55 Senior Member Denver,Co.Posts: 3,621 Senior Member
    For that price BUY IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    "It is what it is":usa:
  • shootershooter Senior Member IllinoisPosts: 1,186 Senior Member
    I've posted photos of this one before (30-30), serial # in the 870,000 range dates it to 1919. I also got another Mod. 94 (30-30) for Christmas of 1971 and its serial # is in the 3,493,000 range. It was made in 1971.
    1964 models started with serial # 2,700,000. So, if the one you are considering is a "pre-64", it ought to have a serial # below 2,700,000.

Go for it if it is.

IMG_1386.jpg
    IMG_1388.jpg
    There's no such thing as having too much ammo, unless you're on fire or trying to swim!
  • drwalker47drwalker47 Member Lone Oak, TXPosts: 192 Member
    shooter wrote: »
    I've posted photos of this one before (30-30), serial # in the 870,000 range dates it to 1919. I also got another Mod. 94 (30-30) for Christmas of 1971 and its serial # is in the 3,493,000 range. It was made in 1971.
    1964 models started with serial # 2,700,000. So, if the one you are considering is a "pre-64", it ought to have a serial # below 2,700,000.

Go for it if it is.

IMG_1386.jpg
    IMG_1388.jpg

Lord..dy that is a gorgeous rifle.
    Celebrate life, moment by moment. I plan to enjoy what time I have left, and that means MORE GUNS!