Home Main Category General Firearms

Question regarding reloading problem

Gene LGene L Senior MemberPosts: 12,750 Senior Member
I've got three 8mm Mausers, a Husky, a Yugo, and the latest, the Mauser custom job. I have reloaded for the Husky, and the reloads fit just fine in the magazine.

HOWEVER, they won't fit in the Mauser! The rounds will chamber, but won't allow the bolt to close. Factory ammo works just fine. I think the cheap Lee reloading dies aren't sizing it down enough, seems to be 2/1000 difference near the web and 1/1000 up near the shoulder. This isn't much but it's apparently enough.

I've got the sizing die meeting the shell holder and the handle is camming over. Any ideas except changing dies?
Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.

Replies

• Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    My lee dies work fine for my Yugo 24/47 8mm Mauser. Try seating the bullets a little deeper? Is there a crimping groove on the bullets you are reloading? Crimp enough? The chambers may be tighter on the custom Mauser.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
    I wouldn't think it's the dies if the reloads fit/function in the other two rifles. Also, do you have any fired brass just from this rifle, maybe try neck sizing only. However, any full length re-sized 8mm brass should work in any standard 8mm chamber within specs.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Dellrose TNPosts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Simple- - - -file a few thousandths off the top of the shellholder so the case shoulder can be bumped back far enough to let the bolt close. After you've got a few cases fireformed for that rifle, use a 3-corner file to cut a small notch in the case rims and use that brass ONLY in the Mauser. If you want to full-length resize those cases when you reload, you'll need to readjust your sizing die to fully size those cases. Otherwise, don't let the case go all the way into the die for the other rifles so you don't overwork the brass for them.
    Jerry
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,750 Senior Member
    Found out two things: first the shellholder doesn't file. It's too hard. Second, is after I ground it down 3 or 4 thousands, or more, it still doesn't fit. Guess I'm stuck with either new brass or once-fired brass from that rifle. Can't grind it any more because the lip is pretty thin.
    Have you tried chambering any factory ammo or surplus in it yet?
    Yes, it chambers both factory and surplus.
    Gene L wrote: »
    Yes, it chambers both factory and surplus.

I haven't fired any surplus in my 8mm Mauser or any factory fodder either. I just started with new brass and reloaded. No issues with the Lee dies I've always used.

Have you double-checked you dies to make sure they are absolutely adjusted per instructions? Most any issues I've had have been that (in reloading any caliber) when anything goes wrong, it's usually something I did from memory.
    My die is adjusted to the shell holder, backed off a quarter of a turn.