Home Main Category General Firearms

6.5 Creedmoor or 6.5 x 284???

WORLD TWORLD T MemberPosts: 262 Member
For all of you 6.5 shooters out there, which would you guys choose for long range paper punching? I had a Cooper Arms 6.5 x 284 but my brother ended up with it, so I have to replace it with another 6.5 caliber gun. With that said, I did see a NICE Cooper Arms 280 today at Cabelas that caught my eye. Ok, back to the original question, 6.5 Creedmoor or 6.5 x 284? I have never shot a Creedmoor so anybody with experience, please chime in.

Replies

• snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    WORLD T wrote: »
    For all of you 6.5 shooters out there, which would you guys choose for long range paper punching? I had a Cooper Arms 6.5 x 284 but my brother ended up with it, so I have to replace it with another 6.5 caliber gun. With that said, I did see a NICE Cooper Arms 280 today at Cabelas that caught my eye. Ok, back to the original question, 6.5 Creedmoor or 6.5 x 284? I have never shot a Creedmoor so anybody with experience, please chime in.

Why not a plain old .260 Remington? Or if you want something hotter build you a 6.5-06. Although I do like the idea of the 284 case. It's just that if you build a gun it's more of a PIA with getting the feed rails right to feed properly.

I'm thinking my next Mauser build will be a 6.5 something. But I'm leaning toward the 6.5x55 Swede.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Dellrose TNPosts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Why sacrifice all that case capacity when there are full-grown cases out there to work with? The Creedmoor has noticeably less volume than even the .260, and the .260 is a poor substitute for something like the 6.5-06 or the 6.5 Rem Mag. Just what possessed anybody to design a pipsqueak like the Creedmoor in the first place?
    Jerry
  • WORLD TWORLD T Member Posts: 262 Member
    Ok. Let me throw this in the equation. Which 6.5 x 284 rifle would you guys pick? I know there are only a few out there. Savage has several to choose from. I did see the new Browning A-Bolt Laminate Long Range Hunter today at Cabelas also. Nice gun! Price was $799.
  • shootershooter Senior Member IllinoisPosts: 1,186 Senior Member
    WORLD T wrote: »
    Ok. Let me throw this in the equation. Which 6.5 x 284 rifle would you guys pick? I know there are only a few out there. Savage has several to choose from. I did see the new Browning A-Bolt Laminate Long Range Hunter today at Cabelas also. Nice gun! Price was $799.

I have 4 rifles chambered for 6.5x284 and love them. Two are strictly target rifles for 1000 yard benchrest competition and two are hunting rifles. The Savage Long Range Hunter and Savage Stainless Fluted have accounted for 5 antelope and one deer over the past few years. My most recent 6.5mm acquisition has been a 6.5 Grendel upper for my AR-15's and it has produced groups that are sub half-MOA with handholds and Hornady factory ammo.

I also have a 260 Rem. that fits into the mix and is the handiest and lightest to carry rifle that I own for medium size game. It's the Savage Lightweight Hunter and weighs a tad bit over six pounds while scoped with a 4.5x-14x Burris Fullfield scope. Make your choice of a 6.5 mm cartridge based on what level of performance you desire and which action length you desire. A friend of mine from Michigan competes with a 6.5-06 and we are essentially getting the same ballistics to what I am with my 6.5-284's. The two cartridges have approx. the same volume and the 6.5 x 284 brass is readily available from several sources. I use Lapua, but have also used the Hornady brass that I won at a competition.

In 2010, I used the Savage Long-Range Hunter, 6.5-284 to harvest antelope in Wyoming. As much as I like the rifle, I thought that the adjustable cheekpiece was unnecessary for my 4.5-14x Burris scope. I took it off and shaved about 8 ounces of weight and still had a good cheek weld for my scope height. I also thought that the "on-off" muzzle brake was not needed on a chambering of this caliber. In fact, I cannot tell the difference when it's on or off with this chambering! I do have a Savage "Bearhunter" in 338 Win. Mag. with the same brake and it works very well!

When Cabela's showed a 6.5-284 rifle offered with a stainless, fluted barrel last fall, I went to the Hazlewood, Mo. store to get one. It has no brake and no adjustable cheekpiece, which is what I wanted. It performed very well for me on the home range and I bagged an antelope at 420+ yards from a seated position from a Harris bipod.

IMG_1623.jpg
    There's no such thing as having too much ammo, unless you're on fire or trying to swim!
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member WyomingPosts: 8,566 Senior Member
    6.5-284
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member In the sticks, OHPosts: 5,617 Senior Member
    Unless you're looking to get a short action rifle, make it a 6.5-284.
  • WORLD TWORLD T Member Posts: 262 Member
    BPsniper wrote: »
    Ok, before I hang you by your toes, I'll hear your excuse as to why you didn't buy that rifle. Not that it will save you, but humor me.

The main reason I didnt walk out with it, was the price. It was used with a nice Zeiss scope and was still $2600. When I spend that much money, I have to look and think a while to make sure it is worth the money. 9 times out of 10 when I see an impulse buy like that, I have to wait a day and if I still want it I will go buy it.
  • wildgenewildgene Senior Member Cody, WYPosts: 1,036 Senior Member
    ...well, a 6.5X284 will certainly give you an advantage in MV/ trajectory. Looking @ the Hodgdon Annual, the 6.5 Creedmore shows a max MV of 2737fps w/ a 142gr. SMK, the 6.5X284 show the same bullet w/ the same powder, H100V @ 2901fps. The 6.5C uses 41.5gr. max, the 6.5x284 uses 49.5grs. max, or 20% more powder for 7% more velocity, @ 1000yds. the 6.5X284 drops 23MOA/ wd 47.4", the 6.5C, 27MOA/ wd 53.2" (.308 175SMK @MV2650= 36MOA/ 92.2" wd).
    Of course playing w/ some more appropriate bullets, you can bring the 6.5C down into the 24MOA range, & the 6.5C is designed to be able to use them in a short action, w/ the advantage of a longer neck & set back shoulder there's room to seat the longer bullets. The max load w/ the same 142gr. SMK in the .260 is 2747fps, but there's a good chance you'll run into seating problems. Far as "pipsqueeks", the 6.5-06 will get you 2889fps w/ 49.5gr. of H100V...

...if "long range" happens to be consistent shots @1000yds. the 6.5X284 has a definite edge, w/ a price in recoil/ barrel erosion/ cost, @ 500M/ 600yds. w/ the occassional "poke" out to 800-1000yds. the "edge" becomes a little fuzzier...
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Dellrose TNPosts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Those numbers sound awfully slow. My 6.5-06 puts 100 G Speer HP's over the chrono at a shade over 3400 FPS. 125 G Nosler Partitions get 3100+. No pressure signs.
    Jerry
  • wildgenewildgene Senior Member Cody, WYPosts: 1,036 Senior Member
    ...Speer doesn't have data for the 6.5C or 6.5-06, but using 95% of the .260 (based on case cap, the more effcient design will probably get you closer to .260 MV's) 100gr. Sierras should go 2900fps compared to the 3150fps listed for the 100grs. from the 6.5-06. Here's a kicker for you, Sierra lists the same bullet/ powder @ 3400fps w/ the 6.5X284. Nosler lists the 125gr.Pt @3110 from the 6.5-06, 95% of the .260 load for that bullet is just under 2900fps. All said, numbers are just numbers, but it hard to argue the 6.5 Creedmore isn't an efficient little round that will put high B.C./ S.D. bullets down-range @ moderate velocities w/ very manageable recoil...
  • 41magnut41magnut Senior Member The Giant Side Of TexasPosts: 1,305 Senior Member
    My preference would go to the 6.5 Creedmoor.

I have been considering going to a match rifle for NRA High Power competition and looking at the various calibers that the top shooters use. The 6MMs seem t be the most used but I feel the 6.5 CM offers an advantage at the 600 yard line that I might use to my advantage.

In the interest of full disclosure I have not looked at the 6.5 X 284 to any great extent, but have done considerable comparison between the 308W 223R, 6XC and the 6.5 Creedmoor.

After looking at loaded ammo, reloading component availability and performance out to 1000 yards I would and will go with 6.5CM when I get around to building my match rifle.

I shy away from the wildcats although I would like to play with a '06 based one at some point in the future.

Simply for availability of Factory rifles I would lean to the 260 Remington followed by the Creedmoor. As best as I remember only Ruger offers a rifle in 6.5CM.
    If you plan to have a shop built rifle than do the research take a decision and enjoy the ride.
    "The .30-06 is never a mistake." Townsend Whelen :iwo:
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,583 Senior Member
    BPsniper wrote: »
    Ok, before I hang you by your toes, I'll hear your excuse as to why you didn't buy that rifle. Not that it will save you, but humor me.

If I had the coin, I would buy a Cooper rifle in a second...no, like half a second.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers