Home Main Category General Firearms

Hunting with the M/N.....

sarg1csarg1c Senior MemberKentuckyPosts: 1,707 Senior Member
After read several other blogs and people wanting to hunt with the M/N, I was wandering why anyone would want to hunt with the M/N with so many nice used rifles of good calibers available. I have one sporterized, but would rather hunt with a Rem. Or a savage etc. Any input from you hunters

Replies

• mkk41mkk41 Banned Posts: 1,932 Senior Member
    Why not? Some people just want to do something different. Years ago , surplus military rifles were the poor mans hunting standard. Today , it's probably just done for the nostalgia or challange.

Why am I about to go out and kick-start (hopefully) a 62yr old , spine-jarring , rigid-framed Harley Davidson and ride 50mi to a swap meet , when I could take my cushy 1997 Road King?
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 12,309 Senior Member
    Same reason I have taken my Ishapore Enfield hunting and want to take my Garand out this year. To hunt with a cool old mil-surp. The whole endeavor is the point.

I have taken my MN hunting. Have not gotten a decent shot at a deer with it yet, but I want to.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • wddodgewddodge Senior Member Northwest OhioPosts: 1,150 Senior Member
    I just like the feel/smell of an oiled wood stock. Plastic just doesn't have the charactor of wood. I'm not saying that plastic doesn't have advantages...

Besides, If my dad could fight with a Garand the least I can do is plink a few hogs with it.

Denny
    Participating in a gun buy back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids.... Clint Eastwood
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Dellrose TNPosts: 18,428 Senior Member
    sarg1c wrote: »
    I was wandering why anyone would want to hunt with the M/N with so many nice used rifles of good calibers available.

Probably for the same reason I leave my custom-built 6.5-06 that shoots overlapping holes at 200 yards in the rack and use a .50 caliber flinttlock with a patched round ball to hunt deer. Because I want to!
    Jerry
  • timctimc Senior Member TexasPosts: 6,684 Senior Member
    Nostalgia Baby!

I have done a little hunting with my 91/30 sniper...

Head shot 100 yards using hand loaded 180 grain Sierra BT .308 bullets (I got a tight bore) and 53 grains of H4831.
    Jan2007pigpic.jpg?t=1243227822
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    timc wrote: »
    Nostalgia Baby!

I have done a little hunting with my 91/30 sniper...

Head shot 100 yards using hand loaded 180 grain Sierra BT .308 bullets (I got a tight bore) and 53 grains of H4831.
    Jan2007pigpic.jpg?t=1243227822

Makin Bacon with an Mosin Nagant has to be pure fun :tooth::guns:
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
    Big Chief wrote: »
    Makin Bacon with an Mosin Nagant has to be pure fun :tooth::guns:

Almost as fun as taken them swine down with a K98...

K98Javalinas.jpg

Or a Garand...
    garandpigjan08.jpg?t=1318257676

I gotsa thing fer the oldies; you know me being one and all!!! :tooth:
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    I reckon the piggies didn't complain about being shot with a MILSURP....:tooth:
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • DunRanullDunRanull Member Posts: 35 Member
    OK guys I gotta ask- why is it DARK in all these pics? You are hunting hog at night?. The mil-surp rifles seem to make ok hunting rifles, weight perhaps excepted... my 8mm Mauser has gone deer-hunting too. I'd like to take my 6.5 Swede sometine.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    I don't know where you live DunRanull, but the chances of killing a hog in daylight around here is way less than at night. They are pests and the state doesn't care when you shoot them. However, in Texas it's a good idea to call your local game warden when you hunt at night because they may mistaken you for hunting deer or something that is illegal to hunt at night. But that's the way 90% of the wild hogs are killed here. Some people hunt with a rifle or shotgun over bait (usually corn) or some chase the dogs and kill the hog with a knife. Then there's some people who play Tarzan and actually catch the hog live. That ain't me! When I hog hunt, I'm armed and dangerous (to the hog that is).
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    Anyway, now that I got that out of the way, I will say that I've hunted hogs with my Garand, but never had it with me when a shot presented itself yet. I think it's cool as cool gets. I also have a 1903-A3 and a 1917 Eddystone Enfield that I want to take hog hunting. I've also got a M/N and have no doubt it would be an excellent hog and deer gun. Maybe some day I'll get around to hunting with everything I own, including all the milsurps.

Speaking of that, and at great risk of repetition (I've mentioned this about 5 times already), I have a couple of Yugo Mausers that have been sporterized. One is now a .257 Roberts AI and one is still an 8x57 Mauser that I had fully sporterized as I did the .257 AI. Only difference is I put a Win. Model 70 style 3 position safety on the .257 and a Beuler 2 position safety on the one I left as an 8mm. On both rifles I had the bolt bent, receiver drilled and tapped for scope bases, new firing pin spring put in to help decrease lock time, a timney trigger, and as I have said a safety. Then I put them both in a Boyd's classic type stock, the .257 walnut and the 8x57 a pepper laminate.

But they are still Mausers and I know they were at one time battle rifles that probably saw action somewhere. So when I take them hunting I feel like I'm hunting with a mil surp. I think the 8x57 will be great hog medicine for sure.
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    DunRanull wrote: »
    OK guys I gotta ask- why is it DARK in all these pics? You are hunting hog at night?. The mil-surp rifles seem to make ok hunting rifles, weight perhaps excepted... my 8mm Mauser has gone deer-hunting too. I'd like to take my 6.5 Swede sometine.

As snake said they like to run at night so the majority of the pigs I kill are within 1 hour of dark. I will also wait until dark if I shoot one early before coming out of the blind because you never know when more will come out.
    BTW DunRanull, that 6.5 Swede will do a big number on a hog. That cartridge would be excellent hog meds. It's a great cartridge and I'm thinking real hard about having my next Yugo project rebarreled to the Swede. Since the Yugo is nothing but a shorter 98 large ring it's very strong. So I can load the 6.5x55 up where it is equal or better than the .260 Remington and some other more modern cartridges. Not to knock your Mil Surp (if indeed your Swede is a mil surp and not a Remington 700 or something), it's plenty for any deer and hog hunting (and maybe larger animals) as is. I think in Europe they use the Mil Surp 95 and 96 Mausers in 6.5x55 for everything from deer to moose.
    mkk41 wrote: »
    Why not?
    Why am I about to go out and kick-start (hopefully) a 62yr old , spine-jarring , rigid-framed Harley Davidson and ride 50mi to a swap meet , when I could take my cushy 1997 Road King?

Because you spent too many cold Pennsylvania mornings in a deer blind and it froze your brain??? :roll2::roll2::roll2: