Home Main Category General Firearms

Ruger 22/45 Lite- Why?

bullsi1911bullsi1911 ModeratorPosts: 12,314 Senior Member
3900.jpg

OK, Cool gun, great concept, suppressor ready, yadda yadda...

But why does it have cocking serrations on the sides of the upper, much less forward cocking serrations? If it was for weight savings, then just mill flats in the side and save 2x the weight.

I just don't get it.
To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
-Mikhail Kalashnikov

Replies

• BufordBuford Senior Member CA. Beach citiesPosts: 6,722 Senior Member
    I kind of like it. Why not? If I was in the market for another one I would buy it.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
  • JKPJKP Senior Member North FloridaPosts: 2,678 Senior Member
    Because it looks cool, of course.
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,763 Senior Member
    The forward serrations are probably for the Cool effect, but could be used to move the slide forward in case of a partial feed.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member In the sticks, OHPosts: 5,617 Senior Member
    Gene L wrote: »
    The forward serrations are probably for the Cool effect, but could be used to move the slide forward in case of a partial feed.

The slide is fixed. The only moving part is the bolt, and it goes straight out the back.
  • ken55ken55 Senior Member near Colorado Springs, COPosts: 782 Senior Member
    bullsi1911 wrote: »
    3900.jpg

But why does it have cocking serrations on the sides of the upper, much less forward cocking serrations? If it was for weight savings, then just mill flats in the side and save 2x the weight.

I just don't get it.

Well, the replaceable grips are a plus over the original 22/45.
  • Uncle BSUncle BS Member Marietta, GeorgiaPosts: 380 Member
    To make it look more 1911ish. If I recall correctly this is supposed to be a trainer for 1911 shooters. Grip angle and such. I like it, just no gold please.
  • SlanteyedshootistSlanteyedshootist Senior Member Corvallis, OregonPosts: 3,947 Senior Member
    Fashion. Or for better grp when throwing it at the wall after getting frustrated trying to field strip it for cleaning.:tooth:
    The answer to 1984 is 1776
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Global NomadPosts: 6,073 Senior Member
    The milled slots are where you have 24K gold inlaid if the gold anodizing just wasn't cutting it for you.

Seriously, I really like the idea of this pistol, except for the damn gold anodizing. Had they done it in silver I would consider it.
    ken55 wrote: »
    Well, the replaceable grips are a plus over the original 22/45.

As a side note, the replaceable grips are a definite plus. With the stock panels the gun is not thick enough to faithfully harken to a 1911, but with minor modification you can fit thicker 1911 grips to the frame.
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,763 Senior Member
    jbohio wrote: »
    The slide is fixed. The only moving part is the bolt, and it goes straight out the back.

That's right, of course. It's strictly for looks. I object.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • justin10mmjustin10mm Senior Member Posts: 688 Senior Member
    It looks like something that would shoot foam darts.
  • SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 4,772 Senior Member
    bullsi1911 wrote: »
    3900.jpg

But why does it have cocking serrations on the sides of the upper, much less forward cocking serrations?

If it was for weight savings, then just mill flats in the side and save 2x the weight.

I just don't get it.

The forward serrations are where you place your forward support hand to control recoil!
    :jester::love::rotflmao:
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

• ghostsniper1ghostsniper1 Banned O HI OPosts: 2,645 Senior Member
    Damn am I the only one that thinks that gun is ugly as sin??? Get a Ruger Mark II
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Global NomadPosts: 6,073 Senior Member
    I'm pretty sure we've covered the gold anodizing in several threads, and that this thread exists to lament the lightening cuts...

I'll say it again... I could overlook the lightening cuts if they hadn't made it GOLD. Hell, I would have taken OD Green, but GOLD?!
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski
  • tv_racin_fantv_racin_fan Senior Member Confusion, JawjaPosts: 661 Senior Member
    I don't think it is suppressor ready, the threaded thing on the front is the tension nut to keep the barrel sleeve tensioned.
    I don't think it is suppressor ready, the threaded thing on the front is the tension nut to keep the barrel sleeve tensioned.

http://www.ruger.com/products/2245Lite/features.html

The man is right. I wonder if a properly built suppressor could serve the same purpose?
  • DanChamberlainDanChamberlain Senior Member Near St. LouisPosts: 3,395 Senior Member
    It could be said - not to say it is - that to remove the slide from the frame it has to be moved - if I recall - a fraction forward before being lifted off. Of course you don't need serrations to do this, but what the heck, they can't hurt. I don't need the serrations either. I think they limit the clean lines of the pistol. I swear, the Gold doesn't look gold under the lights of the NRA convention.

Dan
    It's a source of great pride for me, that when my name is googled, one finds book titles and not mug shots. Daniel C. Chamberlain