Home Main Category General Firearms

Do Some Gun Celebs Spy on Forums?

snake284snake284 Senior MemberPosts: 22,429 Senior Member
I recently did a search on Massad Ayoob because the guy interests me. I found he at least used to frequent the Hi-Road Forum. He actually would post on there. I know we've had some come on here for special occasions or are invited by the staff, but I'm wondering if some of the celebs of the gun writing world ever actually eves drop here to get a feel for the waters amongst the gun owning community or to see how their magazine and their own articles are being received. Also, who would you like to see here? I kinda enjoyed it when John Lazzaroni would come around. I know he could be full of it, but he was interesting.

I'm just curious about everybody's take on this. Do you think we get visited by any of the big boys?
Daddy, what's an enabler?
Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.

Replies

• snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    Must have been before I was here. I noticed he was an active member of the High Road back in 2007.
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Dellrose TNPosts: 18,428 Senior Member
    I believe I remember him posting a few comments shortly before the big meltdown.
    Jerry
  • ilove22silove22s Senior Member OregonPosts: 1,526 Senior Member
    imo, it would be interesting. but i would think they would be too busy to spend alot of time on the www.
    The ears never lie.

- Don Burt
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Living in a van, down by the river.Posts: 14,034 Senior Member
    Teach wrote: »
    I believe I remember him posting a few comments shortly before the big meltdown.
    Jerry

He did. He even asked about ideas for Personal Defense TV on this forum.

If you read some modern writer's articles, you'll see they lurk on the web. They refer often enough to things being commented on to where it's not happenstance. Maybe they use it to strengthen or give ideas for stories?
    I'm just here for snark.
  • SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 4,772 Senior Member
    I've read enough of there articles to know that they do frequent different forums to get a feel for the chatter being talked about on the web. I've also read a variety of gun writers bash gun forums for being full of it. I would hope they weren't talking about this one.
    :rotflmao:
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

• NNNN Senior Member NCPosts: 25,221 Senior Member
    Snake:
    You were asleep, sorta like the camp fire.
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member A true 'Southerner'. NZPosts: 8,401 Senior Member
    Maybe they use it to strengthen or give ideas for stories?

Or maybe they like to 'hang out' with the rich and famous..................sorta like groupies. :tooth:
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • sarg1csarg1c Senior Member KentuckyPosts: 1,707 Senior Member
    I think a lot of writers and political leaders spy on these blogs. A lot of writers get ideas for thier next mag.article Who knows who might be spying right now. Maybe Obama or Clinton....I don't like to answer questions like "How many handgun do you have", Whats your favorite home defense weapon, etc."Big brother may be watching...."
    That may be the smartest course to follow Sargic. Like you say, you never know. Some on here think I'm an alarmist because I think that if Obama wins the election we may lose our second Amendment rights. I do think if he does get in for four more, we stand a good chance of losing the conservative majority on the US Supreme Court and if we do the second amendment will no doubt get re-interpreted. That worrys me but some here don't seem to think it can happen. But I think about England and Australia and what has happened there.
    NN be nice now.
  • BufordBuford Senior Member CA. Beach citiesPosts: 6,721 Senior Member
    sarg1c wrote: »
    A lot of writers get ideas for thier next mag.article

I cant wait until the article about being drug out and shot if Obama is elected.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
  • robert38-55robert38-55 Senior Member Denver,Co.Posts: 3,621 Senior Member
    Snake, I don't think I would consider it spying, but rather information and opinion gathering. I am sure a lot of big name gun writers and outdoors writers have visited this board. To answer the question:
    Do you think we get visited by any of the big boys?
    YES we do get visited by the big boys on occassion.
    "It is what it is":usa:
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    I think their jobs are tougher these days with instant Internet information being available. No longer do shooters have to wait for an answer to gun questions or mail in feedback by snail mail to gun scribes and wait until the next issue to get an answer.

They don't stick around long on here, neither do most active and retired LEOs. Some scope and rifle makers either. That's a fact, not saying it's a good or bad thing.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, don't let your egos get outta control and expect everyone to take their word as gospel or peddle your wares on here. If they do, they will be challenged and some aren't used to that.

Of course, hanging out in the forum don't pay da bills either....:tooth:

This place can be a tough crowd, at times. But it's all good.........:hug::group::guns::usa::usa::usa:
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    Dean Spier used to lurk and post every now and then.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
    snake284 wrote: »
    That may be the smartest course to follow Sargic. Like you say, you never know. Some on here think I'm an alarmist because I think that if Obama wins the election we may lose our second Amendment rights. I do think if he does get in for four more, we stand a good chance of losing the conservative majority on the US Supreme Court and if we do the second amendment will no doubt get re-interpreted. That worrys me but some here don't seem to think it can happen. But I think about England and Australia and what has happened there.

Not likely, the British mentality is geared up or brainwashed into a Nanny State of mind, that idea is not as prevalent here in the U.S. as it is there.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
    I know a lot of Britts like you say. But then tell me that about people like English Bob. And talk to people outside your realm of thought and you may be shocked at what you hear. Lots of people have no concept of owning firearms. It's something they hear about but they can't fathom actually doing. So when a politician talks about outlawing them it doesn't ring the alarm like with one of us. They don't even have a clue that it would be infringing on their Constitutional rights because they've never had an occasion to exercise that particular right. Don't assume anything about the "Average" American anymore.
    snake284 wrote: »
    I know a lot of Britts like you say. But then tell me that about people like English Bob. And talk to people outside your realm of thought and you may be shocked at what you hear. Lots of people have no concept of owning firearms. It's something they hear about but they can't fathom actually doing. So when a politician talks about outlawing them it doesn't ring the alarm like with one of us. They don't even have a clue that it would be infringing on their Constitutional rights because they've never had an occasion to exercise that particular right. Don't assume anything about the "Average" American anymore.

I have traveled extensively, and talked to people extensively about firearms, The Brits for the most part do NOT see a need for firearms or weapons or how they should be a part of everyday life, there is no Constitutional right to bear arms in England / most of the U.K.
    The U.S. differs greatly in that firearms are protected by a Constitution.

Even though part of the population is AntiGun, there are enough people that are ProGun to balance the equation as is proved by the passage of shall issue laws in a majority of States and the number is rising.

Things in the British mainland Civil rights wise have changed drastically since Blackwell......

There are lots of people in England like English Bob and Tigman, but they are not mainstream or strong enough yet.
    It is very hard to make changes in British law in any case.
    I know some things from My own personal experience, some small adventures here and there, there is a vast difference between having done it, and having read about it somewhere.
    DoctorWho wrote: »
    I have traveled extensively, and talked to people extensively about firearms, The Brits for the most part do NOT see a need for firearms or weapons or how they should be a part of everyday life, there is no Constitutional right to bear arms in England / most of the U.K.

Even though part of the population is AntiGun, there are enough people that are ProGun to balance the equation as is proved by the passage of shall issue laws in a majority of States and the number is rising.

Things in the British mainland Civil rights wise have changed drastically since Blackwell......

There are lots of people in England like English Bob and Tigman, but they are not mainstream or strong enough yet.

I have to give you that, it seems to me that it is hard or next to impossible to change British law. Their house of commons and house of Lords to me don't have a feel for the will of the people like our congressional House of Reps and Senate do. I think they overthink everything and argue too much to the point nothing gets done in the end sort of like grid lock, or rather the will of the people doesnt get represented properly.

But still, here in the U.S., there's a lot of people that don't understand the importance of the second amendment or the bill of rights.
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,583 Senior Member
    BPsniper wrote: »
    It makes no nevermind to me whether or not they visit. Most of them are salesmen anyway. Very few do I actually give a crap about in regards to what they think or say.

Those that do......I'll listen to what they have to say. Those that simply write......not so much.

Besides, WE actually have opinions here. Something THEY gave up a long time ago. That being, an opinion.

Like all of the Vicker's Tactical idiots... I've had it up to my ears with his idiocy...
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers

I had forgotten Tigman's name. I haven't seen him around lately. But yeah him too. He's a good gun guy also. There's more gun guys there than you think. I have a good friend that loves to shoot from around Leicester, pronounced Lester. Nick is his name. I knew him in Kuwait. Another one, all I can remember was his first name, Tom, loved guns. Both these guys were engineers from England working in Kuwait. Nick said that his family had a house across the channel in France and that France was more gun friendly believe it or not. They would go on Holiday to France and shoot their 22s. When I talked about my guns and hunting in the U.S. they would foam at the mouth they were so envious. These people know exactly what they are missing.
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,750 Senior Member
    Sure they do, and they post: Teach, BPSniper, Linefinder, and the list goes on.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
    I know there are great guys in shooting in England, the original Bisley matches come to mind, but those guys also sacrificed everything on the alter built to appease the false god known as gun control, the false god that chants: "sensible gun laws" Brits always fall for anything with the word sensible in it.

It is their Achilles heel.
    I know there are great guys in shooting in England, the original Bisley matches come to mind, but those guys also sacrificed everything on the alter built to appease the false god known as gun control, the false god that chants: "sensible gun laws" Brits always fall for anything with the word sensible in it.

It is their Achilles heel.

I agree, but Americans are getting just like that. We're getting too comfortable with life, too domesticated. We forget a cardinal rule, never relax and let down your guard.
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,583 Senior Member
    BPsniper wrote: »
    Don't even know who they are.

Larry Vickers...

www.vickerstactical.com

He is all over the Outdoor Channel. For me, he is the epitome of the sell-out marketing guru. He's former spec-ops, but he has become such a tool that Snap-On should sell him. No, wait, Snap-On is actually reputable...
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Somewhere north of MozambiquePosts: 6,637 Senior Member
    JasonMPD wrote: »
    Larry Vickers...

www.vickerstactical.com

He is all over the Outdoor Channel. For me, he is the epitome of the sell-out marketing guru. He's former spec-ops, but he has become such a tool that Snap-On should sell him. No, wait, Snap-On is actually reputable...

:spittingcoffee::roll2:
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
    Here in America, We have an edge, it is called "concealed carry" and it has become more and more mainstream, more people carry than ever before, and even those that do not carry "YET" realize how important it is.

The Dominican Republic, has concealed carry, It is not a right, only a provision of law, and it costs a small fortune to buy a 9mm handgun with license & tax stamps, around $ 3,000 U.S. dollars......... never mind the cost of ammo, so the average person can't afford a handgun.