Home Main Category Second Amendment/Politics

Sheriff Deputy Accidentally shoots wife of fellow deputy....

robert38-55robert38-55 Senior MemberPosts: 3,621 Senior Member
Sad when an incident happens like this especially in a concealed weapons training class. Gives us gun owners a bad rap...so to speak.

http://jerry611.newsvine.com/_news/2012/02/19/10452791-sheriff-deputy-accidentally-shoots-wife-of-fellow-deputy-in-concealed-weapon-class
"It is what it is":usa:

Replies

• BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,713 Senior Member
    How the hell is this an accident?
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
  • bobbyrlf3bobbyrlf3 Senior Member Posts: 2,543 Senior Member
    Negligence, pure and simple. According to the article, they were at the firing range, so I can understand why there was ammunition loaded into the gun, but the other two of the primary safe gun handling rules were broken. That's called negligence.
    Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Buford wrote: »

Broke the first few cardinal safety rules, check to make sure gun is unloaded and don't point at anything you don't want to destroy, keep your (students) finger off the damn trigger until ready to fire.......... fer starters.

Hey, hold my badge and watch this:yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes::cuss::cuss::cuss::cuss:

What a moron. Was he trying to impress the ladies with his knowledge? Sorry no excuses.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
    Here you go.
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    Mark and remember, I am sure this guy had no intention of shooting anyone, things like this can happen to anyone not ever vigilant, that gets sloppy and complacent, pride often precedes the inevitable catastrophic epic fail.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • beartrackerbeartracker Senior Member Posts: 3,116 Senior Member

+ONE!!!
  • coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 6,611 Senior Member

Heck Buford, the guy served in the military!! He's knowledgeble fer gosh sake! Of course it's an accident....:roll:

'Accident' is when you're an officer and screw up. Negligence is when you're (in their words) a civilian. See the difference?
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
    AMEN coolgunguy :jester:

IT IS NEGLIGENCE - Failure to take proper care in doing something: Failure to use reasonable care, resulting in damage or injury to another.

Synonyms:
    neglect - carelessness - inadvertence - inadvertency

TRUTH OF THE MATTER: Should not have let it happen if he had used proper procedure, plain and simple NEGLIGENCE!!!!!!!

No excuse for IT!!!! :roll::nono::down:
  • Virginia BoyVirginia Boy Member Posts: 213 Member
    In my area, on Sat. the 21st. at a firearm safety class, a man shot
    himself through the hand, which then struck his wife( who was sitting beside him),
    in her leg.
    They were both transported to the hospital, with non-life threatening injuries.
    The handgun was .45 caliber.
    When my wife & I took the safety course, our instructor had everyone place their
    guns on a table, and then checked them, and unloaded them, if they were loaded.
    They stayed on the table during the classroom sessions.
    A few years ago, an instructor at a Virginia college( I won't say which), was
    showing a lady a handgun ( .380 I think), when he shot her 14 year old son in the
    chest, killing him.
    Rights and freedoms, won with patriot's blood,
    shall not be taken away, by ink from a tyrant's pen.
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,557 Senior Member
    coolgunguy wrote: »
    'Accident' is when you're an officer and screw up. Negligence is when you're (in their words) a civilian. See the difference?

Offensive to me as that statement is, I'll bite my tongue.

Just because the media called it an "Accident" doesn't mean everyone will refer to it as one. Besides, an accident implies a consequence without intention to do so. So, it was an accident perpetuated by negligence. See the difference?

Basic comprehension plays a huge role here. "Deputy Sheriff accidentally shoots...", reads correctly in context with the unfortunate outcome. If he was a murderer, it would have read, "Deputy Sheriff INTENTIONALLY shoots fellow Deputy's wife...".

An accident by-way-of negligence.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
    addy40 wrote: »
    DON'T QUOTE SPAM!

Jerk-off quit :spam::spam::spam::spam::spam::spam::spam::spam:
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
  • BullgatorBullgator Member Posts: 393 Member
    JasonMPD wrote: »

Just because the media called it an "Accident" doesn't mean everyone will refer to it as one. Besides, an accident implies a consequence without intention to do so. So, it was an accident perpetuated by negligence. See the difference?

Basic comprehension plays a huge role here. "Deputy Sheriff accidentally shoots...", reads correctly in context with the unfortunate outcome. If he was a murderer, it would have read, "Deputy Sheriff INTENTIONALLY shoots fellow Deputy's wife...".

Well said. I never did understand why "negligent discharge" replaced "accidental discharge". Back when it was an AD, we still managed to understand that the root cause was likely negligence.

The one that drive me nuts is, "the gun went off" as if to imply the gun spontaneously discharged without operator action.
  • REDDEVILREDDEVIL Member Posts: 153 Member
    +1 JasonMPD

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2
    DoctorWho wrote: »
    Mark and remember, I am sure this guy had no intention of shooting anyone.
    They never do.
    Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2
  • 1965Jeff1965Jeff Senior Member Posts: 1,644 Senior Member
    Mama always said stupid is as stupid does...
    Originally Posted by addy40
    DON'T QUOTE SPAM!

":spam:" ":spam:" ":spam:"...................:jester:
    1965Jeff wrote: »
    Mama always said stupid is as stupid does...

Wasn't that Forest Gump's Mama that said that, your not related are you :jester::jester: Just having fun and yes stupid is as stupid does!!!
    JasonMPD wrote: »

I meant no offence, but I understand if it came across as though I did. Like other citizens, there are good and bad in every bunch. Almost always much more good than bad, but even many of the good (around here) seem to have the idea that having a badge somehow puts one 'above'...
    George Carlin
    If this was a average Joe he would be hammered for being irresponsible and reckless. Seeing as to how it's a Sheriff deputy in this case, it could have happened to anyone.
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    If this was a average Joe he would be hammered for being irresponsible and reckless. Seeing as to how it's a Sheriff deputy in this case, it could have happened to anyone.

Sometimes Justice & Punishment or leniency / clemency is not applied equally across the board, lots of stuff is resolved in house and with a few days suspension..... I once got to suspend a Chief, two days disciplinary suspension, his regular days off, it was rather funny at the time, we both thought so anyway.

Edited to add, It was misuse of an official vehicle......
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • 1965Jeff1965Jeff Senior Member Posts: 1,644 Senior Member
    I'm sure there's a Gump in the wood pile somewhere.
  • QuinianQuinian Senior Member Posts: 707 Senior Member
    bobbyrlf3 wrote: »
    Negligence, pure and simple. According to the article, they were at the firing range, so I can understand why there was ammunition loaded into the gun, but the other two of the primary safe gun handling rules were broken. That's called negligence.

:that:
    coolgunguy wrote: »
    I meant no offence, but I understand if it came across as though I did. Like other citizens, there are good and bad in every bunch. Almost always much more good than bad, but even many of the good (around here) seem to have the idea that having a badge somehow puts one 'above'...

Buford's post also shows this. If this were John Q., we'd at least be hearing of the possibilty of charges, if not worse. The folks interviewed in the article almost seem as though they're saying 'nothing to see...move along'. That's what I was trying to convey. I understand that I'm swinging a wide, tarry brush...but I often feel as though a similar brush has been applied to us 'civilians'...
    George Carlin