Home Main Category General Firearms

Modified Shooting Iron

Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior MemberWyomingPosts: 8,566 Senior Member
This is an XP-100 that has already had the action trued, and I already had a McRee Chassis for.
Krieger 1-9T SS, with Holland Gen Radial Quick Discharge Brake.
Color will be better once I get it outside, but wanted to avoid the fine.

DSC00516.jpg
DSC00515.jpg
Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"

Replies

• Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    This is an XP-100 that has already had the action trued, and I already had a McRee Chassis for.
    Krieger 1-9T SS, with Holland Gen Radial Quick Discharge Brake.
    Color will be better once I get it outside, but wanted to avoid the fine.

DSC00516.jpg
    DSC00515.jpg

Wow, you guys amaze me with your creations.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member WyomingPosts: 8,566 Senior Member
    Been snowing here all day today:up:
    284 Winchester:cool2:
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    Nawakwa Accuracy (Eric Wallace) did the metal work and Mac's Gunworks (Chuck MacIntosh) did the cerakote (Titanium Blue/Desert Sand)
    This is the first Chassis Scott McRee ever made for a XP-100.
    Near Manufacturing 20 MOA Pic Rail, Vortex Rings & Level, and Wichita Bolt Stop/Bolt Release
    Vortex Razor HD 5-20 FFP with EBR-1 MOA Reticle
    Kelbly Trigger (AWESOME!)

BPsniper wrote: »
    Ok, a charge of $2.50 is being placed on you for lack of complete secs.

Nice gun, though. That's a rifle stock, right?

Color scheme looks perfect! I like the barrel you have on there.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    Yes, I have the folding stock, Desert Sand cerakote as well. IT was after this set-up, we talked about making it more suited to handgun use alone.
    With the barrel length I can go either way as my OAL is long enough.
    I also have a 3" wide forend for bench use if desired.
    Nice gun, though. That's a rifle stock, right?
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • wddodgewddodge Senior Member Northwest OhioPosts: 1,150 Senior Member
    One of these days if I ever make it back to Wyoming, I'd like to shake your hand and drool on your toys. That looks awesome!!

Denny
    Participating in a gun buy back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids.... Clint Eastwood
    Sounds good-You can shoot some of them if you have the time, and I can pull away to shoot.
    wddodge wrote: »
    One of these days if I ever make it back to Wyoming, I'd like to shake your hand and drool on your toys. That looks awesome!!

Denny
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    18"
    4 ounces?
    It's like pulling teeth!

What barrel length? What trigger weight? :-)
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    18" not counting the brake.
    With, or without brake?
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • wddodgewddodge Senior Member Northwest OhioPosts: 1,150 Senior Member
    18"
    4 ounces?

Do you really have to touch a 4oz trigger or can you just breath on it?? I thought my 2lb Timney trigger was light..

Denny
    Participating in a gun buy back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids.... Clint Eastwood
    It used to be lighter, but I decided to add some weight to it. Need to check again to give an accurate pull.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • beartrackerbeartracker Senior Member Posts: 3,116 Senior Member
    How much does it weigh?
    I dunno:uhm:
    How much does it weigh?
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,583 Senior Member
    Yes. Though, not very much.

My .243 Heavy wears a Jewel 3 Oz trigger. It's a dream.

I thought the crisp 3 pounds on my Model 70 was nice until I got a 9oz trigger on my .17HMR. One of these days when I have more time, I am going to get my Model 70 outfitted with a 3-5oza trigger set up. My .280 for hunting will sport a 1.5-lb trigger.

Once you discipline yourself to use a very light, high-quality trigger, it is hard to revert back to anything heavier.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • HondoHondo Member Tampa, FlPosts: 320 Member
    Nice looking gun ernie. I have to call Eric today and check on my xp-100 build
    Thanks!
    Tell him "Hi!" for me when you talk to him.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    Ernie, how practical is it to have a bolt action pistol built with 16" barrel in 7mm08 and sling it so it can be carried on spot and stalk hunts, instead of using a traditional rifle and what are we looking at in cost? From 1975 to 1986 I did a lot of hunting with revolvers but that limited a great deal on distance, so they were not practical for me to carry on certain hunts, but I did like their portability and ease of handle when hunting.
    BT,
    Very compact and light.
    Two ways we stalk with a XP other than carrying it in our hand:
    Slinging it is one easy way, and carrying it in a pack in another.
    When crawl stalking a tightly slinged XP (unloaded of course), with the XP on your chest works really good. If you have a sling with a clip release or some other kind of quick release on it allows you to get the XP ready quickly while still staying low.
    Cost will depend on how cheaply you can get a XP, and then how you want to build it. It can be as expensive as any custom rifle, or you can use the original Zytel stock.
    Cheapest way to go and still have a 1/4 MOA rig would be with a MOA Maximum. You could have 2 MOA's for the cost of one XP-100--All depends on what you want.
    You could even rechamber a 7mm BR to a 7-08, but it may or may not clean up the original chamber. A 7-08AI would likely clean up the original chamber.
    Here is a pic of a custom 7.82 Patriot XP-100 (light-weight barrel), perfect for the hills. 416 yard shot on a cow.
    5326Elk_416_yds_Patriot.jpg

Ernie, how practical is it to have a bolt action pistol built with 16" barrel in 7mm08 and sling it so it can be carried on spot and stalk hunts, instead of using a traditional rifle and what are we looking at in cost? From 1975 to 1986 I did a lot of hunting with revolvers but that limited a great deal on distance, so they were not practical for me to carry on certain hunts, but I did like their portability and ease of handle when hunting.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    You know in the mountains, it gets rough when stalking a lot and the easier it is to deal with your gun can make a lot of difference in the field and you know what I am talking about. I can't spring right away into this, but will be making plans to engage this. I had a friend years ago that used 7mm-08 in a Thompson Center pistol and was very effective on his elk hunts. The older I get the less I want to carry in the mountains and sometimes you are so tired after a stalk that you can hardly lift your rifle and keep it steady even on a rest. So many times I wish I had a revolver or pistol instead of a rifle but distance is always the killer, so an XP just might be the ticket here in the future for me. I will have to save up for a little while so I can try and find an xp and have the money to purchase it and then start from there. Thanks for the response, it really helps out my thinking on this matter.
    Welcome.
    Think of it this way, a 284 Win. SP will give about the same performance as a 7-08 rifle.
    Also, the MOA will even be more compact than a XP-Lighter too.
    I really like my XP's, but for compact, accurate, and powerful set-up, the MOA is impressive.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    No, I think you will still be pretty pale, even in full sunlight.

Did you just call Ernie "Pale Face?" Now that's a down right Racist statement if I ever heard one!!! :rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao:
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    Welcome.
    Think of it this way, a 284 Win. SP will give about the same performance as a 7-08 rifle.
    Also, the MOA will even be more compact than a XP-Lighter too.
    I really like my XP's, but for compact, accurate, and powerful set-up, the MOA is impressive.

Thanks Ernie, good stuff to help make a good choice.
    Maybe my new user name should be "White Man with Handgun!"
    snake284 wrote: »
    Did you just call Ernie "Pale Face?" Now that's a down right Racist statement if I ever heard one!!! :rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao:
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    Ernie, I read most of the early afternoon about he MOA and even though it has many pluses I just can't get past the looks of the thing, I think it is ugly. It was an interesting read though. I like the XP over the MOA and I know looks should not be the most important thing to consider except when one is looking for a wife or looking for a new gun to fall in love with:jester:
    I will not admit the level of possible addicting feelings for having an XP or some kind of handgun that shoots a rifle cartridge, but my finances at the moment will slow down any leap in that direction; which just might be a good thing so I don't rush into something so I can come up with what I really want.

"Careful" now what does that mean????? - OH!!! I know!!! Attentive to potential danger of choosing the wrong thing, cautious when choosing the right action and cartridge. I can live with that!!!
    The MOA will never win a beauty contest.
    If you don't like the looks of it, no problem.
    I just wanted to give you another option.
    You will just need to save more pennies.
    Ernie, I read most of the early afternoon about he MOA and even though it has many pluses I just can't get past the looks of the thing, I think it is ugly. It was an interesting read though. I like the XP over the MOA and I know looks should not be the most important thing to consider except when one is looking for a wife or looking for a new gun to fall in love with:jester:
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    The MOA will never win a beauty contest.
    If you don't like the looks of it, no problem.
    I just wanted to give you another option.
    You will just need to save more pennies.

Yeah, I have resolved myself to that fact, this will take some effort, patience, money and time, but I got a sneaking suspicion I will like the outcome for more than just a nice looking gun.
    Yep, get what YOU want!
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    You are enabling and costing some of us a lot of money, but I think we all will have fun with the results.
    If, you think this is enabling, come out west and play at distance for awhile (with a rifle or handgun).
    Precision + distance can be intoxicating and expensive:jester:
    You are enabling and costing some of us a lot of money, but I think we all will have fun with the results.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    Ernie, that is scary, just the thought of hooking up with you to shoot awesome guns at distance, when I already have so many behavioral shooting and gun addictions as it is, how would I manage them all and convince Nancy it is a necessary hobby????? Of course that might need some consideration and reasonable thought. Of course I could bring a rifle and drool over your beautiful guns and just be satisfied with my rifles performance, but that would be telling myself a lie. You are so right, it would intoxicating and expensive.:jester: