Home Main Category General Firearms

AAC Micro 7 ... I'm interested!

JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior MemberPosts: 6,583 Senior Member
I'm all on board the .300AAC Blackout bandwagon, but I don't own a rifle chambered for it...yet.

Browsing the AAC (Advanced Armament Corp) website as I often do, I watched their You Tube video introducing the Micro 7. The rifle has been out for a bit, but tonight was the first time I really browsed it and read up on the specs. My only reservation is the action...

The rifle is built on the Remington Model 7 action, not the 700. They were going for compact design and the Model 7 action is a little shorter (thus lighter) than a 700 action, but it mitigates the use of popular and available Model 700 accessories, such as new bottom metal using AI mags, for one.

It seems to come well-enough equipped for the task and I think the thin barrel version would be awesome as a pack-gun or out in the brush shooting pigs and at deer inside of 200 yards. Buds Gun Shop, when they have them in stock, have sold them for $760. Of course, being AAC, the barrel is pre-threaded for the use of a suppressor.

AAC-Micro7.jpg
“There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers

Replies

• snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    JasonMPD wrote: »
    I'm all on board the .300AAC Blackout bandwagon, but I don't own a rifle chambered for it...yet.

Browsing the AAC (Advanced Armament Corp) website as I often do, I watched their You Tube video introducing the Micro 7. The rifle has been out for a bit, but tonight was the first time I really browsed it and read up on the specs. My only reservation is the action...

The rifle is built on the Remington Model 7 action, not the 700. They were going for compact design and the Model 7 action is a little shorter (thus lighter) than a 700 action, but it mitigates the use of popular and available Model 700 accessories, such as new bottom metal using AI mags, for one.

It seems to come well-enough equipped for the task and I think the thin barrel version would be awesome as a pack-gun or out in the brush shooting pigs and at deer inside of 200 yards. Buds Gun Shop, when they have them in stock, have sold them for $760. Of course, being AAC, the barrel is pre-threaded for the use of a suppressor.

AAC-Micro7.jpg

What reservation do you have against the Model 7 action? Did you know that it is really just a continuation and improved version of the 600 or 660? That action, like the 700 was used as a bench rest action. They sleved it and made a single shot out of it, screwed on a match barrel, trued it up and put a match trigger on it and a good high fixed power scope. Back in the 60s and 70s they were some of the most competitive bench rifles around, until after market bench actions became popular in the 80s and 90s. There is nothing wrong with a Model 7 action. Especially in a short action cartridge. They are nothing but a smaller version of the Model 700.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,583 Senior Member
    BPsniper wrote: »
    Folks, I have yet to be impressed with anything AAC has come up with.

Anything?

The 300 Blackout is a clever take on filling the gap between a single caliber capable of super-sonic and sub-sonic capability. Likewise, developing it on the 5.56mm case body dimension was clever to keep use of all of the readily available 5.56 mags out there.

Their quick attaching/removal suppressors are built well and the few I've handled seem like good pieces of kit. They aren't the be-all-end-all in suppressor design, but work well nevertheless.

Their compensators -- one of which I have on my AR currently -- work superbly. A co-worker of mine has a larger comp they make and he loves it.

I'm not super-thrilled with the stock on the Micro 7, either. The stock could have been designed without the Karsten-style adjustable cheek weld. However, I see this as a great survival/camp/truck gun and if I were to buy it, that is what it would be for.

But not like ANYTHING they make?
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
    snake284 wrote: »
    What reservation do you have against the Model 7 action? Did you know that it is really just a continuation and improved version of the 600 or 660? That action, like the 700 was used as a bench rest action. They sleved it and made a single shot out of it, screwed on a match barrel, trued it up and put a match trigger on it and a good high fixed power scope. Back in the 60s and 70s they were some of the most competitive bench rifles around, until after market bench actions became popular in the 80s and 90s. There is nothing wrong with a Model 7 action. Especially in a short action cartridge. They are nothing but a smaller version of the Model 700.

My gripe is that I would want to use new bottom metal and get a larger box magazine. But none exist, as far as I know, for the Model 7.
  • EliEli Senior Member Attalla, Alabama.Posts: 3,074 Senior Member
    Anything?

The 300 Blackout is a clever take on filling the gap between a single caliber capable of super-sonic and sub-sonic capability. Likewise, developing it on the 5.56mm case body dimension was clever to keep use of all of the readily available 5.56 mags out there.

I like AAC, but they didn't come out with the 300 Blackout. They BARELY tweaked the .300 Whisper, slapped their Blackout label on it and called it good.
    Eli wrote: »
    I like AAC, but they didn't come out with the 300 Blackout. They BARELY tweaked the .300 Whisper, slapped their Blackout label on it and called it good.

Well, true. But whoever can market it right first, "made" it these days. Just like Lapuas "new" 6.5x47. It is a slightly modified 6.5x284, but marketed as a "creation".
  • EliEli Senior Member Attalla, Alabama.Posts: 3,074 Senior Member
    Well, true. But whoever can market it right first, "made" it these days.

Yep.

The HS-2000 for example.

:up:
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Global NomadPosts: 6,071 Senior Member
    The HS-2000 for example.

:that:
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Love those "Cheeky" opinions on this rifle..............:tooth::conehead::guns::rotflmao:

Definition of CHEEKY
    : insolently bold : impudent

Related to CHEEKY
    Synonyms: arch, audacious, bold, bold-faced, brash, brassbound, brassy, brazen, brazen-faced, nervy, cocksure, cocky, fresh, impertinent, impudent, insolent, sassy, saucy, wise
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • wildgenewildgene Senior Member Cody, WYPosts: 1,036 Senior Member
    Well, true. But whoever can market it right first, "made" it these days. Just like Lapuas "new" 6.5x47. It is a slightly modified 6.5x284, but marketed as a "creation".

...this is a rather odd notion, since the 6.5X47 doesn't share any of the case design/ dimensions that make the original .284 Winchester case unique. It's more of an accurized, "Improved" .260 Rem, based on the .308 case w/ a small rifle primer pocket, the case blown out, the shoulder set back, the angle sharpened so the case length is 0.3" less than the .260, allowing use of longer high B.C. bullets. Actual case cap. is reduced by less than 5% from the .260...
  • wildgenewildgene Senior Member Cody, WYPosts: 1,036 Senior Member
    knitepoet wrote: »
    Fixed it for you Gene, From what I can see, it's closer to the 300/250 Sav case than the 308. It's close enough that I am considering getting some of the 6.5x47 cases to make 7mmIHMSA cases out of

...um, ok, info from Nammo Lapua Oy says its a hybrid between the 6mm BR & .308, w/ a case taper of 0.010" as opposed to a case taper of 0.053" like the .300 Savage or 0.016" like the .260...
    wildgene wrote: »
    ...this is a rather odd notion, since the 6.5X47 doesn't share any of the case design/ dimensions that make the original .284 Winchester case unique. It's more of an accurized, "Improved" .260 Rem, based on the .308 case w/ a small rifle primer pocket, the case blown out, the shoulder set back, the angle sharpened so the case length is 0.3" less than the .260, allowing use of longer high B.C. bullets. Actual case cap. is reduced by less than 5% from the .260...

The cases are different, but it is being marketed as something new and with intent to come over the top of 6.5x284 when it started getting really popular in some 1000yd cliques. At least that is the campfire talk around here.
    The .300 Blackout, to me, begs the question, "What the Hell?". I mean, what's it for? What does it accomplish? It just seems WAY too limited, to me.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for variety and coming up with new products for the market. But, don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

I view it pretty much like the 6.8 Remington. A long road to a solution that was right across the street.

I have not tried their cans. I've looked at them. But, I'm of the mentality that, if you ain't better than what is already established and proven........pack a lunch. We're gonna be here awhile.

Their brakes? Ok, I'm somewhat interested in them. Especially the short one. Wouldn't mind shooting that one and see how it really performs. Especially on a shorty. But, a single chamber? How much can it bleed off? Would just need to play and see.

That rifle? The barreled action looks kinda fun. With that short brake. They can keep the stock.

If you have a Model 7 or Model 700SA laying around, they sell the barrel by itself. Midway has them right now for $399.
  • SirGeorgeKillianSirGeorgeKillian Senior Member Sovereign SCPosts: 5,463 Senior Member

This. I have been wanting a Whisper for some time, but the idea of having to make my own brass for a rifle that took 30 rounds at a time turned me off. Now that it has went production, and a buddy is building a rifle in that round, I want one more than ever.

Why? Because around here, 200 yards is the furthest shot I could make if I wanted unless I hunted along a power line, and the ability to go subsonic for suppression purposes without requiring a proprietary magazine in an AR-15 package makes me smile.
    Unless life also hands you water and sugar, your lemonade is gonna suck!
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    I'm in love with a Glock
  • SirGeorgeKillianSirGeorgeKillian Senior Member Sovereign SCPosts: 5,463 Senior Member
    The .300 Blackout, to me, begs the question, "What the Hell?". I mean, what's it for? What does it accomplish? It just seems WAY too limited, to me.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for variety and coming up with new products for the market. But, don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

I view it pretty much like the 6.8 Remington. A long road to a solution that was right across the street.

I have not tried their cans. I've looked at them. But, I'm of the mentality that, if you ain't better than what is already established and proven........pack a lunch. We're gonna be here awhile.

Their brakes? Ok, I'm somewhat interested in them. Especially the short one. Wouldn't mind shooting that one and see how it really performs. Especially on a shorty. But, a single chamber? How much can it bleed off? Would just need to play and see.

That rifle? The barreled action looks kinda fun. With that short brake. They can keep the stock.

Take the round and run with it, but don't limit yourself to ACC hardware to launch it. I agree with you about the ball being dropped on goofy hardware, but you are by no means limited to ACC if you can think out of the box.
    Unless life also hands you water and sugar, your lemonade is gonna suck!
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    I'm in love with a Glock