Home Main Category General Firearms

S&W M&P 9mm ???

jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior MemberPensacola, FLPosts: 10,826 Senior Member
Over the years I have fired many S&W autos. 5943, 3913, 39??, and 4506 are some I remember the actual model numbers (mostly). The triggers on all were poor to say the least. So I haven't paid much attenton to Smith autos for awhile.

I have an XD that I like, and now some say the trigger on the M&P is even better. So now M&P is on my radar. Does it have advantages over the XD? (price is the same if not a tad lower for the M&P at the LGS)........
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson

Replies

• LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member VirginiaPosts: 8,337 Senior Member
    I've owned Glocks and one XD, and now own and carry M&Ps. My Wife even took my M&P9c for her CCW.

The ergonomics of the M&Ps are much better than the others, at least to our hands. Some complain about their triggers, but that's easily fixed with an Apex kit for about $80.

I highly recommend them.
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Global NomadPosts: 6,071 Senior Member
    I like them, but I'm not beating down the door to get one (yet).

Ergonomics are pretty comfortable, and IMO there is less felt recoil from an M&P than a similar Glock. One thing I found odd is that with either a Glock or a 1911 they point very well for me, but of all things the M&P points high.

I personally cannot forgive the standard M&P for having such a horrible trigger. Mushy, long, and you can't tell when the (long) reset actually occurs. They "fixed" it with the Shield and the Pro Series, but it's still not as good as a standard issue Glock.

All in all they are definitely worth a look. The Shield is on my "to do" list and I may end up with a 5" Pro Series 9mm if Bud's Police Supply gets them back in stock.
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    a Big Woof and half a MEH, what does it do that is so way better than a Glock 19, or a 1911 of some ilk ?

And with some sort of 1911, there is nothing you can't do to it or have done to it in order to personalize it or make it better suited to what you like or prefer, with other guns,

It is what it is.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • ilove22silove22s Senior Member OregonPosts: 1,526 Senior Member
    XDs and M&Ps are combat/duty guns, not target guns. so the triggers will be as such.

My XD smoothed out real nice. My M&P not so, but not as many rounds down the pipe yet. Ive felt/tried M&Ps w/aftermarket trigger parts and it did help. triggers, imo, are like grips. if you dont like it, change it or have it worked on to suit your needs.
    The ears never lie.

- Don Burt
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Global NomadPosts: 6,071 Senior Member
    ilove22s wrote: »
    XDs and M&Ps are combat/duty guns, not target guns. so the triggers will be as such.

I get this, but so is the Glock. I just want a trigger comparable to the Glock and I'll stop complaining. Especially in terms of the reset.
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    ilove22s wrote: »

My XD smoothed out real nice. My M&P not so, but not as many rounds down the pipe yet. Ive felt/tried M&Ps w/aftermarket trigger parts and it did help. triggers, imo, are like grips. if you dont like it, change it or have it worked on to suit your needs.

It does not have to be so, if you are satisfied with a crappy trigger fine, settle for a crappy trigger, or have at a 1911 with a perfect or customized trigger, or a Glock with a customized trigger, either start out with a perfect trigger, or drop money till you end up with the perfect trigger, or get used to a crappy trigger.

If you are going to do professional work you need professional grade tools.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996