Home Main Category General Firearms

MP5 mod

CaptainAhabCaptainAhab MemberCedar Rapids, IAPosts: 93 Member
Without going into the virtues of the 9x25Dillon round, suffice it to say I love it. Want to build a semi-auto, submachine gun type on that cartridge.

Any input into the idea of an MP5/10 with a rechambered 9mm barrel, would be appreciated.
In reply to Xerxes' demand to lay down his weapons, Leonidas replied;
"Molon Labe"..... "Come and take them!"

Replies

• CaptainAhabCaptainAhab Member Cedar Rapids, IAPosts: 93 Member
    Bbl pressures would be primary ?
  • NNNN Senior Member NCPosts: 25,221 Senior Member
    Welcome aboard.
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,583 Senior Member
    I'm no sure how much money you are working with, but a semi-auto MP5 is pretty much a waste of the dollar. The MP5 loses a lot of its fame and gusto in a semi-auto configuration. Nevermind the fact that you will have to get the tax stamp to own a true MP5, even in semi-auto, as it is a short barrel sub gun. Otherwise, you have to buy one of the awkward looking 16" barrel models.

Now that I have finish raining on your MP5 parade... I offer some alternatives...

Disclaimer: refer to a compitent gunsmith before pursuing any adventure such as re-barreling or re-chambering a weapon to another caliber.

The Storm CX4 Storm comes in 9mm and may accept the mods. But I am not very familiar with 9x25 Dillon, its COAL, etc. There is also the Kel-Tec Sub-9 and a couple of Ruger 9mm carbines out there.

But like I said, the mods may be tricky or dangerous to the mechanics of the weapon. Do your homework well.

-Jason
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    The MP-5 platform is a waste of time to non LE folks, while practical for LE, civilian use is severely limited by applicable laws, an AR of some ilk is a better consideration......,
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • EliEli Senior Member Attalla, Alabama.Posts: 3,074 Senior Member
    If you are set on the MP5 config, more power to you, but I'd have no idea how to go about making that work.

It would probably be much easier to have an AR-15 chambered in that cartridge.

I can definitely understand wanting something, "just cause." I REALLY want an AR chambered in 7.62 Tokarev.

http://www.cncgunsparts.com/ar-15_m-16_762x25_uppers
    Eli wrote: »
    I can definitely understand wanting something, "just cause." I REALLY want an AR chambered in 7.62 Tokarev.

http://www.cncgunsparts.com/ar-15_m-16_762x25_uppers

Now we're talkin'

Once I get my lower registered, this will be on the buy list.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Manistee Natl ForestPosts: 18,289 Senior Member
    DoctorWho wrote: »
    The MP-5 platform is a waste of time to non LE folks, while practical for LE,

Really? Why pray tell, would it be practical for LE folks and a waste of time to non-LE folks....The way I see it, I have as much right to own an MP-5 as an cop....might have to go thorough a bit more red tape and money, but if I want an MP-5/Thompson/BAR, QUAD .50 to shoot pop cans , rain piss and scunion on paper targets and hunt vermin, what right has anyone to say I shouldn't own one?
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    Really? Why pray tell, would it be practical for LE folks and a waste of time to non-LE folks....The way I see it, I have as much right to own an MP-5 as an cop....might have to go thorough a bit more red tape and money, but if I want an MP-5 to shoot pop cans , rain piss and scunion on paper targets and hunt vermin, what right has anyone to say I shouldn't own one?

I don't think he meant it that way...

I think he was commenting on the cost-prohibitive nature of the MP5 for non-LE persons to afford if cost is a factor. I would tend to agree as it is generally the LE agency who fronts the cost of the weapons and they can buy less-expensive, newly manufactured full-autos, whereas civilians cannot.

-Jason
    JasonMPD wrote: »
    I don't think he meant it that way...

-Jason

Don't go injecting facts an common sense into the issue...it just muddies up the water....I've had a crappy day and I'm feeling hostile and uncooperative .... :jester:
    cpj wrote: »
    I never got a call...was too busy anyhow...is there a new resident at your homestead?

Check your PMs..
    BPsniper wrote: »
    The MP5 is so.......90s. :-)

Coming from the guy with ALL the cool toys....You suck!!!....
    They are collecting dust in the armory. :-)

Say...I just had an idea! Any way you could errrr, ummmmm, ahhhh.....Ah the heck with it....Never mind!
    The MP5 is so.......90s. :-)

Yet still so cool...

Replica_HK-MP5SD.jpg
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 9,698 Senior Member
    Well, it could physically be done, but why on earth would you neck down a 10mm?

The main problem - there never was a semi-auto 10mm platform on which you could work - at least not from H&K. Then you'e gotta find magazines

The "common sense" answer is that by the time you're necking a 10mm down to .35 caliber, you're bumping around the margins of a rifle round. At that point, there's all kinds of 5.56 platforms to choose from, to say nothing of the various other rounds that can be plugged into an AR-15 platform.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • ThatMattGuyThatMattGuy Senior Member Harrisonburg VaPosts: 666 Senior Member
    JasonMPD wrote: »

The Storm CX4 Storm comes in 9mm and may accept the mods

-Jason

The CX4 Storm is a piece 'o crap......I bought on of these and it broke before I even got to shoot it. BNIBB. Brand New In Box Broken! That is NOT on my recomend list! LOL
    The poster formerly known as '69MercCougar
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Classic Arms has these in 7.62X25 TOK caliber fer $269, semi-auto of course. Copy of a PPSH, but more compact. I can see where it would be fun.

I believe someone on here has one?????

http://www.classicfirearms.co/shotguns%20and%20handguns.htm

PPSH-I-O-copy.jpg
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • ThatMattGuyThatMattGuy Senior Member Harrisonburg VaPosts: 666 Senior Member
    Big Chief wrote: »
    Classic Arms has these in 7.62X25 TOK caliber fer $269, semi-auto of course. Copy of a PPSH, but more compact. I can see where it would be fun.

I believe someone on here has one?????

http://www.classicfirearms.co/shotguns%20and%20handguns.htm

PPSH-I-O-copy.jpg

Yes! :) It is a must buy!
    The poster formerly known as '69MercCougar
    My purpose is quite simple; my absolute fav handgun is a Glock 20 converted to 9x25 Dillon. I have always wanted a handgun and rifle/subrifle in matching chamberings. I can't think of a better cartridge to do that with. A rimless pistol round with near rifle ballistics FROM A PISTOL BBL!! I don't particularly like the MP5, I just assumed it would be fairly simple since both 9mm barrels and 10mm actions already exist.
    I am no neophyte and would do the work myself. And since I have been around, have preexisting prejudices like everyone, and absolutely would not build yet another AR15.
  • bruchibruchi Senior Member Posts: 2,581 Senior Member
    I believe that MP-5 are chambered in 9mm, 40 and 10mm, I would love to own a full auto suppressed one in 9mm and that will be my first gun purchase when I hit the lotto, also a Dillon 1050 just to load 9mm but a second one in 10mm would be awesome as well.

I like a lot the idea of a handgun and MP-5 in the same caliber, what about the 9x25 Dillon makes it so appealing?
    If this post is non welcomed, I can always give you a recipe for making "tostones".
    9x25 Dillon:

115gr bullet leaves the barrel at 1,865 fps, delivers 888 ft/lbs of energy (at muzzle). 0.95 ftlbs/sec momentum and a 10.9 rating on the Taylor index.
    for comparisons the beloved .45 acp;
    230gr has 835fps with 356 ft/lbs of energy. 0.85 ftlbs/sec of momentum and 12.4 rating on the Taylor.
    the .223 Rem;
    77gr, 3100fps with 1643 fl/lbs. 1.06 ftlbs/sec of momentum but only 7.6 on the Taylor index.
  • bruchibruchi Senior Member Posts: 2,581 Senior Member
    Thanks, how does it compare next to the 10mm round?
    If this post is non welcomed, I can always give you a recipe for making "tostones".