Home Main Category General Firearms

68gr HP Black Hills Ammo Question

browninghunter86browninghunter86 MemberGeorgiaPosts: 351 Member
Anyone have a box of these that can tell me what OAL they have? To the Ogive or the tip is fine

Thanks
Andrew

Replies

• JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,583 Senior Member
    Do you mean the Cartridge Over All Length (COAL)? Black Hill makes ammo that fits in AR magazines, so it will be the Mil-Spec original dimensions... 2.260". Unless I am misinterpreting that you want to knwo some other dimension...
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • browninghunter86browninghunter86 Member GeorgiaPosts: 351 Member
    no that is what I am looking for.... read online someone said theirs was 2.210" and another post said 2.240" so I was just curious. I am trying to replicate that load as close to it as I can
    Andrew
  • 41magnut41magnut Senior Member The Giant Side Of TexasPosts: 1,303 Senior Member
    I would expect BH to load them to SAMMI since they are going out to the general Public.

The only reason individuals load cartridges longer than 2.260 (or just below that length) for an AR, would be with 80 grain target rounds. Those long projectiles consume excessive amounts of case capacity if loaded to mag length. Most high power shooters will load 80 grain bullets to .010" to .020" off the lands to obtain optimum accuracy. And this is a specialty application for an AR, Long Range / NRA HP target shooting.
    "The .30-06 is never a mistake." Townsend Whelen :iwo: