13 year old robber shot and killed

knitepoetknitepoet Senior MemberPosts: 18,669 Senior Member
http://blog.al.com/spotnews/2012/04/birmingham_police_department_m_2.html

Surprise, surprise, no big "outrage" on this one.

Final score: Scum bag-0, Good guys-1
Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Replies

• TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,263 Senior Member
    I drive through that neighborhood pretty often. It literally defines the term "wrong side of the tracks". It's sandwiched between a couple of railroad sidings and an interstate highway. I keep the doors locked, and ignore stop signs and traffic lights whenever I can when I have to travel through there! It's dangerous even in the daytime. Chances are the shooter and the shootee were both up to no good at 11:00 at night!
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • beartrackerbeartracker Senior Member Posts: 3,116 Senior Member
    How sad that a 13yr old kid is dead and a man had to shoot him or be shot. It is all sick, sad, meaningless and Paul, be careful who you call a scum bag, I don't like your score keeping, it is cold nor matter how true it might be, and frankly I don't care if you don't like what I said, your comment is cold. The kid was wrong, and he paid the ultimate price for his absolute poor choice, he is dead Paul, just plain dead and there is a man having to walk around with having had to kill someone on his heart. That kid sure must of been without much direction at all in his life if he actually had any, no real family, for him to engage on the level he did being only 13yrs old. What a sad commentary on our society - we are morally destitute indeed. Men who are not fathers, mothers who really don't care and kids that raise themselves. No wonder it happened and will continue. Why don't you find a kid that has no father or family and mentor him, you might find it rewarding, at least it is a loving thing to do, I know, I mentor kids who have no real family and it makes a difference.

Oh, do I sound mad, I am, I just plain am mad about it all. I am tired of kids dying, I am tired of burying young people, I am tired of people dying, it is so pointless. You want to see rough place, I work in a town that is rough and with hate all around. A society without love, compassion, value, and when man leaves God out of the picture and does not care by acting to make things better no matter how small the effort, he reaps the whirl wind, and has no right to judge or complain.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,669 Senior Member
    Mike, you don't have to like my opinion anymore than I have to like yours.

Yep, a 13 year old is dead, killed early in his life of crime. I deal with folks of his ilk every day I go to work.
    If you're going to be stupid, you better be tough, young thug wasn't as tough as he thought he was. Personally, I won't shed the first tear or lose the first moment of sleep mourning his death.
    The victim and his girlfriend's only "crime" was coming home at the wrong time.

Am I cold hearted? You're darn tootin' I am, especially when a wanna be thug is removed from the gene pool early enough to have hopefully been prevented from breeding.

I'm sure before long the link I posted will have numerous comments telling everyone how the thug was such a little angel, or how he was "turning his life around" To which I throw the BS flag, because if he was such an "angel" he wouldn't have been attempting armed robbery.

I believe it was Bullsi that used to have the signature that went something along the lines of, "Too bad stupidity isn't painful".... well, in this case, at least, it was... fatally so. I'm okay with that
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

I know that you are ok with it, that is why I responded as I did, so it is best that you and I drop this subject between us at this time, before one of us says something that would injure our friendship. I hope we can agree to disagree and let anything between us on this matter end right hear. Thanks, Mike
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,669 Senior Member
    I know that you are ok with it, that is why I responded as I did, so it is best that you and I drop this subject between us at this time, before one of us says something that would injure our friendship. I hope we can agree to disagree and let anything between us on this matter end right hear. Thanks, Mike
    No worries :beer:

Paul, guess I got emotional, and I appreciate it buddy, no worries hear either. I have seen death up close in my life and at times it really works on me. :beer:
    I spent the better part of a lifetime working with these wannabe thugs every day. Some responded to my efforts- - - - -most didn't. When one of my students didn't show up for class for almost a week, I asked some of his friends if they knew how to get in touch with him. "He's in juvie- - - -he killed another guy with a brick"! That information was delivered with about as much emotion as if they were saying "He's got the flu"! The two kids were sniffing paint in an abandoned grain silo. They got into an argument and the 16-year-old one beat the 15-year old to death.

Then there was the recent graduate who spent 3 years in my classes- - - - -while he was waiting for the fall semester at colllege to begin he bided his time by robbing pizza delivery people with a painted-up airsoft pistol. It looked real enough that the undercover cop who took over after three robberies in the same night killed him when he brandished the "gun" over twenty bucks' worth of pocket change.

How about the 15-year-old who tried to outrun the cops in a stolen car? A 100 mile per hour sideways slide into a 3-foot diameter tree killed him and three friends who were joyriding with him. I wasted almost six months trying to get to that one- - - -and thought I was making progress.

On average, I attended two or three funerals a year, all kids from my classes. If kids are that determined to throw their lives away, I agree with Paul- - - - -do it early and effectively. The rest of the world won't notice you're gone!
    Jerry
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,985 Senior Member
    It saddens my heart all these young people are dying, but OTOH this one played with fire and got justifiably burnt.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • BullgatorBullgator Member Posts: 393 Member
    I'm not going mourn over the death of an armed, violent thug. But I'm also not going to celebrate the death of a 13 year old. It's a damned shame that a kid that young could be so far gone.
  • 104RFAST104RFAST Senior Member Posts: 1,262 Senior Member
    None of us want to shoot a 13yr old, but what are you going to do if one sticks a gun in your window. I would be pis$$d if I had to do it, but I wouldn't
    hesitate ( I Hope). The U.S has become a third world nation, its a shame!
    I do hope in some way we can turn around the general direction we are headed in.
  • HAWKENHAWKEN Senior Member Posts: 1,685 Senior Member
    It certainly is a sad state of affairs, but, it cuts down on recividism. I am not famous for being politically correct......Robin
    I don't often talk to people that voted for Obama, but when I do I order large fries!
    Life member of the American Legion, the VFW, the NRA and the Masonic Lodge, retired LEO
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,666 Senior Member
    HAWKEN wrote: »
    It certainly is a sad state of affairs, but, it cuts down on recividism.

That is called "Specific Deterrence". He won't do that again.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • pbearperrypbearperry Member Posts: 91 Member
    I agree there's nothing to celebrate here.However,just knowing this kid will not be fathering others to follow his footsteps gives me a feeling that something positive has happened.I am sure that this kid had virtually no help growing up by either of his parents.Shame on them both.
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 6,945 Senior Member
    When a dandelion sprouts in your lawn, you don't wait until it's full-sized, with flowers blowing seeds all over the rest of your lawn - you apply the Ortho RIGHT NOW!

It's strange how a "weed" generates more compassion - not less - when it acquires the ability to vandalize your car, rob your bank, or rape your daughter. Feral children aren't any different than feral dogs. They're worse, really, in that they were born with opposable thumbs. If there is any truth to the story of the Chinese billing family members for the negligible cost of the round of 7.62x39 used to execute their felonious relative, it's a business model our justice system could learn a lot from.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 9,462 Senior Member
    If he is pointing a cocked handgun at people to take their possessions, it was only a matter of time before he was killed or one of his victims were killed............ I prefer the former!
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
    Bigslug wrote: »
    Feral children aren't any different than feral dogs.

How sick, how lost, how perverted, what a shame that so many in our society have reduced life to this point morally, ethically, philosophically and spiritually. Man, do we as a nation need God, but will we seek him or forget his wisdom and instruction. No wonder our hearts are so cold and indifferent as we sit back and watch, complain, letting it all happen as we hope it does not touch our lives. We want to run things our way and boy has it ever produce a rotten crop as we were not willing to work and reach out, pulling as many weeds as we could out of that field, and now we don't want the harvest because it smells to bad. God Help Us!!!
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    How sick, how lost, how perverted, what a shame that so many in our society have reduced life to this point morally, ethically, philosophically and spiritually. Man, do we as a nation need God, but will we seek him or forget his wisdom and instruction. No wonder our hearts are so cold and indifferent as we sit back and watch, complain, letting it all happen as we hope it does not touch our lives. We want to run things our way and boy has it ever produce a rotten crop as we were not willing to work and reach out, pulling as many weeds as we could out of that field, and now we don't want the harvest because it smells to bad. God Help Us!!!

People have choices in life, at the age of 13, I chose to help senior citizens and other volunteer work in addition to working in a TV / Radio repair shop, I chose a good life not a life of crime, these kids have that same choice, as a LEO, I volunteered to help young men like that, raised money, spent too much of My own money, to get kids out of abusive homes etc...... Personal responsibility, that was removed from the educational system along with prayer and God.... And sadly most of that does not exist in these young peoples homes.....

The quote from Kool hand Luke says it well: "What we've got here is... failure to communicate. Some men you just can't reach. So you get what we had here last week, which is the way he wants it... well, he gets it. I don't like it any more than you men."

Any right thinking LEO dreads having to shoot anyone, but sometimes it is inevitable......
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
    I know, just expressing my deep feelings and frustration, but I will not give up or quit helping as many as I can, I just will not roll over and give up. It is what it is right now and I can make choices to address what I can and I will. I am so glad I am not a LEO. A lot of things to keep in prayer.
  • QuinianQuinian Senior Member Posts: 707 Senior Member
    Here's how I see it: Yeah he was a punk, yeah he got what he deserved, yeah I'm glad it ended to early in his life long crime spree, and yes it's sad that a kid had to die... but I blame the parents. If more of my generation were raised with the same morals and disipline I got from my parents just like they got from theirs this wouldn't be an issue. No one would even think to do crap like this kid did. Well, sure a few would but it would be rare.

One of the main problems with society is a serious lack of butt whoopins when they were kids. They get all grown up and find out a butt whoopin comes in the form of jail time or a bullet and it's too late at that point.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 14,836 Senior Member
    Bigslug wrote: »
    Feral children aren't any different than feral dogs.

Very true...and they will hurt you just as badly as a grown man and will grow into feral adult...they are making choices that will have very real adult consequences with a child's brain. THIS is the result of multiple generations of parental irresponsibility.

The situation is unfortunate, not tragic...that we will have to deal them is inevitable. However, they, not we are the ones making the decisions that often end up with their demise...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    Without the moderating effects of maturity, a kid with no moral compass and no impulse control results in a deadly combination. I was constantly amazed at just how lacking in any sort of compassion or common sense some of my students were. Add a drug habit, and a lot of them were just as dangerous as a poisonous snake or the pit bull dogs they kept as status symbols.
    Jerry
  • MichakavMichakav Senior Member Posts: 2,412 Senior Member
    I can hear it now, "ma baby dint do nuffin".

Another case of "parental head up orifice".
    It is all how children and dogs are raised, I have a pitbull, and he is the absolute sweetest dog there is, well socialized to people and other dogs, very submissive, even when other dogs have tried to bite him.

He has however defended me on various occasions when people have tried to attack Me, they changed their tune with Patrick barking loudly at them.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • ghostsniper1ghostsniper1 Banned Posts: 2,645 Senior Member
    Bullgator wrote: »
    I'm not going mourn over the death of an armed, violent thug. But I'm also not going to celebrate the death of a 13 year old. It's a damned shame that a kid that young could be so far gone.

I agree. Through my time researching the career I intended on taking as an Embalmer, I learned alot. I have attended funerals of family, friends, old and young all to come to the same conclusion.... We are ALL going to end up on that stainless steel table with a needle in our carotid artery one way or the other. Its just a matter of how and when or if we choose to make an early reservation by stupid actions.
  • GunnerK19GunnerK19 Senior Member Posts: 1,083 Senior Member
    Odd, I posted a comment on that board just last night and now it's been disappeared...
    I'm a Conservative. How conservative? Only Alex P. Keaton has me beat.

Taurus 605 .357, Ruger .45 Vaquero, Ruger 10/22, Colt frontier commemorative .22 SA
    " We are ALL going to end up on that stainless steel table with a needle in our carotid artery one way or the other. Its just a matter of how and when or if we choose to make an early reservation by stupid actions."

Nope, I will do like Yoda and fade away when the time comes...........
  • olesniperolesniper Senior Member Posts: 3,739 Senior Member
    Teach wrote: »

Then there was the recent graduate who spent 3 years in my classes- - - - -while he was waiting for the fall semester at colllege to begin he bided his time by robbing pizza delivery people with a painted-up airsoft pistol. It looked real enough that the undercover cop who took over after three robberies in the same night killed him when he brandished the "gun" over twenty bucks' worth of pocket change.

There was a similar incident, in Memphis, many years ago. Guy, with a real gun, would order a pizza sent to a abandoned house. When the delivery man arrived, dude would open the door, pull a gun, and take the pizza and money. Genius would always order the same pizza. Cops staked out the pizza parlors and waited. When that certain pizza was ordered, a cop would deliver it. One night, an order came in and the cop walked up to the door, with a .38 snubbie held under the pizza box. Dude answers the door and reached for a gun, in his waistband.......POP....POP....POP. As Skippy lay on the floor, bleeding out, his last words were......."Da pizza man done kilt my a$$."
    Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
    I will fear no evil: For I carry a .308 and not a .270
  • BakermanBakerman Member Posts: 382 Member
    Honestly............I got my own problems. I don't care about this kid. He made a decision and earned the consequences.

The guy that had to shoot him deserves more pity.
    Bakerman formerly known as Bakerman
    I seem to recall folks would stone to death good for nothing young people before they did anything really serious......

New American Standard Bible

Deuteronomy 21:20-21

20“They shall say to the elders of his city, ‘This son of ours is stubborn and rebellious, he will not obey us, he is a glutton and a drunkard.’

21“Then all the men of his city shall stone him to death; so you shall remove the evil from your midst, and all Israel will hear of it and fear.