Home Main Category Hunting

Was there ever a time when you didn't hunt?

JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior MemberPodunk, Tx.Posts: 8,227 Senior Member
Or want to hunt?

As far back as I can remember, I have wanted to be a hunter. I can remember when I was 6 or 7 tying a pocket knife to a stick for use as a home made spear. I even managed to cut the tail off of a lizard with it.

There have been times when I couldn't hunt due to circumstances, but I've always considered myself a hunter.

How about you?
Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.

Replies

• Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Eastern NebraskaPosts: 8,155 Senior Member
    Yes. Most of my life, I was not, nor did I care to be, a hunter. I was born into an anti-gun/anti-hunting family and didn't have a desire until I was in the military (about 10 years ago). What a waste of a lot of good years I could've had as a kid.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Central MNPosts: 14,659 Senior Member
    The only reason I did not hunt sooner than I did, my dad did not think I could keep up or tolerate the elements, I have been going deer hunting since the third grade and everything else ever since the following year.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • minnesotashooterminnesotashooter Senior Member Posts: 828 Senior Member
    I didn't start hunting until after I moved to Minnesota and after college. Did lots of fishing when I was young but no hunting until age 21
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Dellrose TNPosts: 18,428 Senior Member
    I can remember going on a squirrel hunt with my father and some backwoods cousins at about age 4. They managed to get one squirrel, which I insisted on carrying home. Halfway back I got tired, and Dad ended up carrying me. I skinned that squirrel's tail bare down to a small tuft of hair right on the end- - - - -never turned loose!

The only time I didn't hunt was by my own choice. I was seriously concerned that my ex-wife would be the game in the crosshairs during a prolonged custody fight over her physical and emotional abuse of our kids!
    Jerry
  • CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Kaniksu Nat'l Forest, IDPosts: 5,486 Senior Member
    I have hunted with my dad since I can remember. My first kill was a squirrel with a Benjamin 177 pellet gun that I still have. I didn't hunt for some years while attending college in Long Beach, CA but I ocean fished my butt off. Eventually had a coworker show me how much public land was available in California. Since then, the only deer season I've missed was the autumn my son was born.
    When our governing officials dismiss due process as mere semantics, when they exercise powers they don’t have and ignore duties they actually bear, and when we let them get away with it, we have ceased to be our own rulers.

Adam J. McCleod

• bisleybisley Senior Member East TexasPosts: 10,815 Senior Member
    I didn't hunt for several years because I lost my hunting guns in a burglary and was too broke to replace them and refused to borrow. Also, I was working long hours and raising girls who kept me very busy with other activities. I started back after the kids flew the coop, and I'm just as hooked on it as I was as a kid.
  • WeatherbyWeatherby Senior Member Posts: 4,953 Senior Member
    As soon as we could walk in the woods dad used to bring us **** hunting.
    Remember once at about 4 years old he had to pay me to stay home as I was sick at the time
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Living in a van, down by the river.Posts: 14,033 Senior Member
    I haven't been hunting in a few years. I used to go with my Dad, so when he passed it didn't feel right getting out without him. I missed him too much. During the lull I stopped getting asked to go dove hunting (what I lived for and what Dad and I did) and it just doesn't happen any more.

But the shotgun's been calling out to me lately. I need to pick it back up.
    I'm just here for snark.
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 12,309 Senior Member
    As soon as I got projectile weapons, I was attempting to hunt things with them.

So, I guess there has not been a time.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Denver, COPosts: 4,996 Senior Member
    There were a few years I missed out on hunting, due to school or being over seas working, but other then that....long as I can remember! Granted I wasn't allowed to legally hunt here until I was 12, but my dad started taking me in like 4th grade I think. I remember when I was really young, my mom took me and a few friends to see the re-release of Bambi in the theaters. When we got home I wanted to play "hunting" and go shoot Bambi's mom in the back yard lol
  • beartrackerbeartracker Senior Member Posts: 3,116 Senior Member
    Only when I was a baby and toddler. My grandpa had me shooting his Winchester 410 pump when I was 5 years old and I began hunting squirrels with him. Been hunting every since then. He also taught me how to shoot a 22 rifle and his 44-40 Winchester. I loved that old man and still miss him, what a friend he was to me much less a loving grandfather.
  • beartrackerbeartracker Senior Member Posts: 3,116 Senior Member
    knitepoet wrote: »
    he'd hand me his old "Hero" single shot 12ga that he kept behind the door and one green Remington "Shur-Shot" load of #5 shot and tell me, "Well go kill it boy"

I inherited that old shotgun when he died. It may not be worth much to anyone else on this planet, but Warren Buffett couldn't afford to buy it from me at ANY price

Man I like that, yes indeed!!!!!:up::up::that:
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Manistee Natl ForestPosts: 18,280 Senior Member
    I grew up in a hunting family....my only breaks have been while in the military and overseas...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • QuinianQuinian Senior Member Posts: 707 Senior Member
    Yes, while I was in the Army. If I wasn't deployed, I was in the field. Just didn't have the time
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    Same with me Jerry, there have been times I couldn't hunt. Here lately it's been slim pickins because living on a fixed income these days i just can't really justify a lease. And as you know, in Texas hunting leases are the main way to hunt. Around here there's not that much public land.

Also, there have been those times when I was working overseas and didn't have the opportunity. But when I have a lease and I'm available, you can bet that I'll be hunting at any opportunity.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    knitepoet wrote: »
    Sort of, but not really. Didn't do much "real" hunting during my early teens due to some issues between my dad and I. Even then, though, I was hell on the local rabbit, squirrel and assorted vermin population with either my bow, airgun, or grandfather's 12ga. I only got to use the 12ga to keep rabbits out of his garden.
    I'd go out around dusk every evening in the spring and summer with a flashlight looking for rabbits. If I found one, I run up to his house (he lived next door) and tell him, "Grandaddy, there's a rabbit out here", he'd hand me his old "Hero" single shot 12ga that he kept behind the door and one green Remington "Shur-Shot" load of #5 shot and tell me, "Well go kill it boy"

I inherited that old shotgun when he died. It may not be worth much to anyone else on this planet, but Warren Buffett couldn't afford to buy it from me at ANY price

Every boy ought to have a grandad just like that. I didn't. My dad's dad was killed in a saw mill accident 12 years before I was born. My dad's step dad didn't hunt. My mother's dad didn't hunt but did fish and I went a few times with him. However he was taken from us too early with what we know now to be Alzheimers. So I never had an opportunity to hunt with one of my grand parents. I think that's why my dad made an extra effort to see that I went with him on nearly every hunting trip.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • NNNN Senior Member NCPosts: 25,221 Senior Member
    JerryBobCo wrote: »
    Or want to hunt?

How about you?
    No
  • wildgenewildgene Senior Member Cody, WYPosts: 1,036 Senior Member
    ...I was born into a large family that spent 3 mo. outta the year hunting, the other 9 mo. getting ready...
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Between Ft Lauderdale and MiamiPosts: 12,556 Senior Member
    When I was growing up, the closest I ever came to going hunting was watching the American Sportsman on TV.
    No one in my family was a hunter, fisherman, or shooter. Fast forward and after joining the Army my first duty station was in the great state of Washington. I learned to roam the woods and not get lost, fellow soldiers taught me to hunt and I shot my first deer. A few years later my FIL taught me how to hunt the majestic Elk. Since those days, I have done a lot of shooting and just a little hunting. A deer when in Pa. during season and a Pig now and then here in Fl.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • HAWKENHAWKEN Senior Member Logansport Indiana, by way of Hohenwald Tennessee by way of Cocoa FloridaPosts: 1,720 Senior Member
    Yes, between the ages of 0 to about 6. Since then, I have hunted everything that was legal to hunt....Robin
    I don't often talk to people that voted for Obama, but when I do I order large fries!
    Life member of the American Legion, the VFW, the NRA and the Masonic Lodge, retired LEO
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member In the sticks, OHPosts: 5,617 Senior Member
    There was a couple years when I was in college I didn't hunt. Too far to go home, and no opportunity locally.
    Before and since, nope.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Manistee Natl ForestPosts: 18,280 Senior Member
    Diver43 wrote: »
    When I was growing up, the closest I ever came to going hunting was watching the American Sportsman on TV.

My cousin...Larry Proctor...was the the Executive Producer for that show...led to meeting some interesting people....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"